• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Maryland family asked to leave Outback Steakhouse

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Maryland family asked to leave Outback Steakhouse because son with special needs was too loud

Jordan Culver,USA TODAY 10 hours ago

A Maryland woman was given restaurant credit after she and her family were asked to leave an Outback Steakhouse restaurant by a manager who said her son with special needs was the subject of a noise complaint.
In a post on social media detailing the incident, Amanda Braun said she's not likely to use the credit.
Braun and her family were told they needed to "finish (their) meals and leave" about five minutes after their food arrived at the table, she said in a Facebook post.
Braun's 4-year-old son, Killian, was born with a neurological disorder called childhood apraxia of speech. According to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, a child with apraxia of speech knows what he or she wants to say, but signals from the brain controlling muscles for speech aren't relayed correctly.

Bruan told WJLA-TV in Washington, D.C., that there was some noise but Killian was acting as he usually does at the same restaurant.
"This gentleman said that he received a noise complaint for my child," Braun wrote on Facebook. "He said that he was very uncomfortable coming to our table to tell us that but unfortunately we needed to finish our meals and leave. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I was in total shock!"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/maryland-family-asked-leave-outback-030335479.html

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Isn't about time people got some common sense?

I don't go to a restaurant to listen to some 2 leggah animals running around and carrying on,

I have no desire to put up with their bullshit special needs or not,

They have no right to infringe on me

If you cannot control your animals in public, then you shouldn't be going out in public with them.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

I don't go to a restaurant to listen to some 2 leggah animals running around and carrying on,

If you cannot control your animals in public, then you shouldn't be going out in public with them.
Agreed.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Damn right. I can't tell you how many times I took the kids to a restaurant that served you 4 pawed patrons and was picking up bear hair off the flooah for three weeks after that! Youz shed like crazy!

Have respect for others!!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Damn right. I can't tell you how many times I took the kids to a restaurant that served you 4 pawed patrons and was picking up bear hair off the flooah for three weeks after that! Youz shed like crazy!

Have respect for others!!
I just ate there the other day...

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I expect that a restaurant "experience" will have this crap. So I do NOT go to restaurants. Ever. Problem solved. This also solves the issue of tips.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I expect that a restaurant "experience" will have this crap. So I do NOT go to restaurants. Ever. Problem solved. This also solves the issue of tips.
I'm an above average tipper because these girl's work hard. Of course there are exceptions and those are handled appropriately but for the most part, waitresses are sweet gals working their tails off while trying to make a buck and still managing to keep their clothes on! We have some favorite places we like to go for a burger and a beer. We do that quite often, me and the Mrs and enjoy it. We don't live in an area infested with do gooders. Instead, I live among people who respect the rights of others and we feel embarrassed, not empowered, when they've become the center of attention!!!

Last edited:

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Always wonder if there is more to the story. However, if you've ever been around a parent(s) who's child has severe autism it's hard to even imagine the energy and sacrifice. No hobbies, no outside interests, no me time. Its 24 hour a day parenting. If they can impose bit of my time to try and carve out some normalcy it's the very least I can do.

I can't judge this story's situation though.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Always wonder if there is more to the story. However, if you've ever been around a parent(s) who's child has severe autism it's hard to even imagine the energy and sacrifice. No hobbies, no outside interests, no me time. Its 24 hour a day parenting. If they can impose bit of my time to try and carve out some normalcy it's the very least I can do.

And the parenting doesn't end at 18 years of age.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

I cannot speak to parenting a kid with a handicap. I was blessed with three great kids in good health. That being said, if any of those three kids started disrupting other folks in the restaurant, more often than not, we left the restaurant! These people who lost control of their kid should have done the same. I was taught respect for others growing up and it's become engrained in me. No one teaches that now. The family concept is severely damaged and those conversations at the dinner table just don't happen very much! Who else then? Certainly not the public schools. They teach racism, hate whitey and free stuff. Respect for others is not on the curriculum.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
At a private club I could understand this, but at a "public" restaurant, the patrons have a right to finish their meal once the server brings it to them. If management needed to remove them, It should have been done before the meal was brought.

If you are bothered by a special needs kid, leave. No on says you have to stay. Eating in peace is what a private club is for.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
At a private club I could understand this, but at a "public" restaurant, the patrons have a right to finish their meal once the server brings it to them. If management needed to remove them, It should have been done before the meal was brought.

If you are bothered by a special needs kid, leave. No on says you have to stay. Eating in peace is what a private club is for.
The restaurant is private property. Anyone has the right to complain about their experiences on a merchant's private property. It's customer feedback collection for the purpose of quality control for chrissakes! The business owner uses this data to better serve their customers and their decisions in all matters concerning the business are final. If the little bastard is driving business away the kid goes, no matter how much your feelings are hurt!

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

That's why you eat at a dumpster for one "outback"! :dduck::rotf::winks2:

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I have a sort of unique perspective to add to this discussion...

My daughter has very serious ADHD...has had it since she was a toddler...needless to say - she was quite the handful growing up.
My son has Downs Syndrome.
My grandson has severe autism. He is 6 and is non-verbal.

I can see both sides of this discussion. I can relate to where Scorp, Shootist, etc... are coming from. When you go out to a restaurant, you have certain expectations in terms of the experience you expect to receive. In my experience - there have been times where my kids acted inappropriately in a restaurant setting. For example - I remember when my daughter was like 3 and we had a family gettogether at a restaurant. There were like 50 of us along with whoever else was there... my daughter got very antsy after about 5 minutes or so, and after an extended effort to keep her "calm" i finally let her out of her seat. It was a judgment call - my sense of the other patrons in the room was they would be "chill" with her running around the room...nobody complained so maybe my assessment was correct? I dunno. Perhaps they just tolerated it with grace. Hey - I was young then - so dont be too harsh on me...

On the parent side - I can tell you from firsthand experience that craving "normalcy" is a big thing. The ability to do things that "normal" families get to experience...lets just say its more complicated when your kids are "different"...

In the old days - before the world got all interconnected...we all mostly lived amongst small groups - and everyone kind of knew everyone else...so dealing with the special needs kids was just part of life I would imagine...

Nowadays though - when you go out - nobody knows anyone else...and has no context to put other peoples behavior into. So we dont know if someone is an awesome person - but just having a really bad day. We just catch a glimpse and assume they are an asshole...

Wouldnt it be great if we could all (not just GIM2 - but "all)...get to know each other a little bit so that whatever judgments we make on them are grounded in solid precepts...it might not fix everything that ails the world...but - it would at least be a step in the right direction.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
I totally get this, and understand your position,

will just leave it at that as I just don't agree with the new 'societal norms'

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Way back 20+ years ago the inlaws rented a cabin in Gattlinburg, Tn, for a family re-union. The entire family made reservations to a nice restaurant. My oldest about two at the time started acting up in the restaurant while we were waiting for our food. I told him to "quiet down or we're leaving". He didn't and I gathered him up and took him out to the car just that fast. He got scolded as we sat in the car waiting until the family finished the meal.
That was the last time I ever had a problem with him in public.
He's 22 now.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Am I reading GIM2 or msnbc? Never thought I’d see posters here getting “triggered” by special needs kids and wanting safe spaces. It’s not like the kid cut his dick off and is pretending to be a chick and going table to table showing everyone. The kid was born this way. Compassion is what is missing these days. The parents deal with it 24/7, fellow patrons can handle maybe 90 minutes in a restaurant so they can have a life.

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Way back 20+ years ago the inlaws rented a cabin in Gattlinburg, Tn, for a family re-union. The entire family made reservations to a nice restaurant. My oldest about two at the time started acting up in the restaurant while we were waiting for our food. I told him to "quiet down or we're leaving". He didn't and I gathered him up and took him out to the car just that fast. He got scolded as we sat in the car waiting until the family finished the meal.
That was the last time I ever had a problem with him in public.
He's 22 now.
I did exactly this with my daughter, who is the oldest of the sibling. I told my wife to eat with the boys, her and I were going to the car. Wife got the food to go but my point was made. My daughter laughs at her knucklehead antics and my discipline. She sincerely appreciates it looking back.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I have a sister with special needs, but she is extremely well-behaved at home and in public.

I have a neighbor with 2 autistic adults, one of whom (the girl) is mute and almost invisible. The male however, is a chronic howler and banger, and he is a big dude; 6 foot and maybe 200 pounds.

So, here we are on 4th of July, just like every year, and we blow off a few fireworks in the street.

Come to find out the next day, that the male is highly agitated by noise, especially fireworks.

So now we are the neighborhood agitators...

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I understand your two stories about disciplining "normal" kids, but the original story is not about a "normal" kid. The child has a condition that causes him to use improper words and sound volume. The kid was not being a "brat" but was making others feel uncomfortable so the manager asked to couple to take their "different" kid away from the normal "public".

I two can see both side of this issue but what I can not see is the "third side" or the management side. They asked a protected class of person to leave when they had every right (and yes it is a right) to be there, they paid for the food. I'll watch to see how this plays out in the courts.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
All I've gotta say is I'd hate to be my parent when I was a child. And fortunately for me, I didn't get a case of mother's revenge as my kids turned out quite alright. Had some hard times being in a messed up relationship with their mother and the following divorce and remarriage but I never left them to fend for themselves. Mostly because I know what it's like growing up without direction.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I two can see both side of this issue but what I can not see is the "third side" or the management side. They asked a protected class of person to leave when they had every right (and yes it is a right) to be there, they paid for the food. I'll watch to see how this plays out in the courts.
What law did they break?

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The Law of Common Scents. If ya need a break from the kid hire a babysitter.
If I want entertainment I'll pay for a Dinner Theater. Other wise let me enjoy my 20 dollar steak, 7 dollar salad, 9 dollar Bloomin' Onion, 3 dollar soft drink or 8 dollar beer in a relatively enjoyable atmosphere. JMO

Me and the family was at a restaurant one night and two Hispanic males got into an argument about some thing ( I don't know enough Spanish to decode it) and yelling across two large tables at each other. Before fisticuffs flew a Hispanic waitress and staff got the guys to leave. ( My son thinks it was over the waitress that urged them outside).
I asked for the manager and we got a significant discounted bill + the entertainment.
All of a sudden the food tasted better.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I have a sister with special needs, but she is extremely well-behaved at home and in public.

I have a neighbor with 2 autistic adults, one of whom (the girl) is mute and almost invisible. The male however, is a chronic howler and banger, and he is a big dude; 6 foot and maybe 200 pounds.

So, here we are on 4th of July, just like every year, and we blow off a few fireworks in the street.

Come to find out the next day, that the male is highly agitated by noise, especially fireworks.

So now we are the neighborhood agitators...
If you’re shooting off fireworks in a neighborhood then damn right you are. You’re not only agitating Sling Blade next door but all your neighbors dogs and everyone trying to sleep.

Move out to the sticks if that’s what you want to do.

Densus

If you’re shooting off fireworks in a neighborhood then damn right you are. You’re not only agitating Sling Blade next door but all your neighbors dogs and everyone trying to sleep.

"Sling Blade next door" I laughed so hard as I read that.

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Read all the above. And yet, in a starbucks in Arizona, 6 police officers were asked to leave because a patron (who had as much right as they did to be there) asked the management to tell the officers to leave ..... because he felt "uncomfortable".

--- Starbucks has issued an apology after an employee asked a group of six police officers in Tempe, Ariz. to either leave one of its stores or move out of the line of sight of a customer. The officers say a barista told them the customer didn't feel safe with police nearby. ---

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/07/7393...cers-who-were-asked-to-leave-an-arizona-store

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Funny.

We were the only ones on our block lighting fireworks, but the whole of silicon valley was lit up, and our bottle rockets and firecrackers were quite tame compared to some of the epic explosions going off all night.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Yeah well there are plenty of folks that don’t think about others on holidays. Sorry but I’m over it. Tired of having to drug the dog and being a zombie at work the next day.

Also certainly the distance makes a difference. Fireworks next door are louder, brighter and much more disturbing than even bigger displays blocks away.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Read all the above. And yet, in a starbucks in Arizona, 6 police officers were asked to leave because a patron (who had as much right as they did to be there) asked the management to tell the officers to leave ..... because he felt "uncomfortable".

--- Starbucks has issued an apology after an employee asked a group of six police officers in Tempe, Ariz. to either leave one of its stores or move out of the line of sight of a customer. The officers say a barista told them the customer didn't feel safe with police nearby. ---

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/07/7393...cers-who-were-asked-to-leave-an-arizona-store
Sorry...not the same. If you or your kid are causing a commotion disturbing others’ peace then it’s your problem and either you need to fix it or leave. Those officers weren’t causing any commotion or disturbance to my knowledge. So to compare these two is a false analogy. A more accurate one would be if the manager told the couple that another patron had complained that handicapped people made them uncomfortable and so they had to go. Which of course would NEVER happen.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
kids run silly and make noises. It's what they do. That isn't a sign of special needs. That is a sign of being a kid.
And parents need to know how to control their Kid(s) or be prepared to implement a Plan B or, C or LEAVE.

If I was them I would invoke legal action on Federal grounds. Violating teh Americans With Disabilities act(ADA) Title III. IIRC That act clearly states there must be "ease of access" for disabled persons in any commercial establishment. They clearly were hampered in there dining attempt. If they are smart they will will have big moniez.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
If I was them I would invoke legal action on Federal grounds. Violating teh Americans With Disabilities act(ADA) Title III. IIRC That act clearly states there must be "ease of access" for disabled persons in any commercial establishment. They clearly were hampered in there dining attempt. If they are smart they will will have big moniez.
Idk.

They had ease of access. They got there just fine and were welcome.

As written, they were asked to leave, not necessarily forced; and they weren’t asked to leave because they were disabled, but because they were loud.

Is it discrimination if they would have also asked a non disabled loud person to also leave in the same situation?