• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Meat Glue

jogslvr

Gold Miser
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I swear to God, these idiots are determined to ruin the US beef industry. And this kind of PR doesn't help my steakhouse business. But, I'm beginning to understand now how my competition, the national chains, are able to beat my prices by such a huge margin.

The Cattleman's Association also needs to raise some hell over this practice.

I would never even consider screwing over my customers in such a lowdown fashion.

Please watch this or google "meat glue".

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/consumer&id=8642900

Someone with the skills, please embed a video of this crap.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I swear to God, these idiots are determined to ruin the US beef industry. And this kind of PR doesn't help my steakhouse business. But, I'm beginning to understand now how my competition, the national chains, are able to beat my prices by such a huge margin.

I would never even consider screwing over my customers in such a lowdown fashion.

wow - there's a few of these vids out there, jogslver. unbelievable what companies will do

notice the masks and gloves on these guys when they "prepare" our meat.

Last edited by a moderator:

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I know for a fact that even high end eateries use this to "repair" and enhance cuts of beef (tenderloin).

TimoneX

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gross. There should be a full disclosure requirement so folks can make an informed decision, if they so choose.

I'll just continue buying sides of beef and preparing/grilling them myself TY very much. :D

No offense jog, I'm sure you run a top notch establishment. :beerglass:

jogslvr

Gold Miser
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
The crap (glue) is made from cattle's blood coagulants. Gross me out!

It's pretty common knowledge that many of the steakhouse chains use IQF pre-portioned cuts which have added tenderizer solutions injected. All their meat comes from company owned distribution butcher/processor shops who work their magic using inferior grades cleverly cut to mimic popular primal cut steak shapes. A good example is the Outback ad on TV showing a so-called NY Strip. No way is that a natural cut NY strip. It has absolutely no fat on the edge. Its probably cut from a bottom round quarter. The only real steak that comes without a fat edge is the tenderloin filet.

At least my grill kitchen is visible to the customer and they can watch their steak being cut from the primal loin. They can even inspect the raw cut before grilling if they wish.

Boy, would I like to be a fly on the kitchen wall of some of these chains. Even with volume sales, restaurants can't operate for long with raw food cost over 33%. I get away with higher raw food costs percentage simply because I own my building and property outright. The word is many or the big name chains are operating on a break-even basis to help offset high real estate/lease costs, insurance, and property tax to keep vacant properties from becoming too big a drag on earnings sheet come reporting time.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I've seen chefs us this to layer pork (belly) with beef. Never thought about creating a perfect looking piece of meat. Sad. Buy a freezer and watch your butcher.

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
The crap (glue) is made from cattle's blood coagulants. Gross me out!

It's pretty common knowledge that many of the steakhouse chains use IQF pre-portioned cuts which have added tenderizer solutions injected. All their meat comes from company owned distribution butcher/processor shops who work their magic using inferior grades cleverly cut to mimic popular primal cut steak shapes. A good example is the Outback ad on TV showing a so-called NY Strip. No way is that a natural cut NY strip. It has absolutely no fat on the edge. Its probably cut from a bottom round quarter. The only real steak that comes without a fat edge is the tenderloin filet.

At least my grill kitchen is visible to the customer and they can watch their steak being cut from the primal loin. They can even inspect the raw cut before grilling if they wish.

Boy, would I like to be a fly on the kitchen wall of some of these chains. Even with volume sales, restaurants can't operate for long with raw food cost over 33%. I get away with higher raw food costs percentage simply because I own my building and property outright. The word is many or the big name chains are operating on a break-even basis to help offset high real estate/lease costs, insurance, and property tax to keep vacant properties from becoming too big a drag on earnings sheet come reporting time.

I travel a lot, and I don't want to break any forum rules, so if you want could you post or PM the location of your venue, if I am in town I would like to stop in. Thank you, TBonz:beerglass::beerglass::beerglass:

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

QWAK,WOW!!! I wish I had read this thread BEFOR I ordered several hundred dollers of meat from OMAHA STEAKS :ahhhhh::afraid: every thing they sell in in vaccuume sealed plastic and I believed to to be the best meat I could buy NOW :hmmmm2::afraid: not so shure!

I should call them and ask :hmmmm2: but not shure I realy want to know! :idea::goodnight:

the DUCK :s9:

Last edited:

jogslvr

Gold Miser
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Gross. There should be a full disclosure requirement so folks can make an informed decision, if they so choose.

I'll just continue buying sides of beef and preparing/grilling them myself TY very much. :D

Hell, I don't blame you. When I was eating lots of beef, I had a local small-time farmer raise an organic calf for me every year for my home freezer. Yes, even though I had access to plenty of my own steakhouse corn fed choice beef at wholesale prices, I preferred grass fed beef due to all the hormones and antibiotics in commercially fed beef. This is a pretty telling confession from a long time steakhouse owner.

As for making good use of restaurant mis-cuts and end-cuts, we use them for kabobs, stir fry, and BBQ samitches. We won't even use them for hamburger due to contamination concerns. I won't eat hamburger that I don't see being ground myself.

TimoneX

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
QWAK,WOW!!! I wish I had read this thread BEFOR I ordered several hundred dollers of meat from OMAHA STEAKS :ahhhhh::afraid: every thing they sell in in vaccuume sealed plastic and I believed ti to be the best meat I could buy NOW :hmmmm2::afraid: not so shure!

I should call them and ask :hmmmm2: but not shure I realy want to know! :idea::goodnight:

It's simple duck...first inquire about their cancellation/refund policy. Then you'll know if you want to know how much stock they have in elmers. :D

jogslvr

Gold Miser
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

QWAK,WOW!!! I wish I had read this thread BEFOR I ordered several hundred dollers of meat from OMAHA STEAKS :ahhhhh::afraid: every thing they sell in in vaccuume sealed plastic and I believed ti to be the best meat I could buy NOW :hmmmm2::afraid: not so shure!

Sorry to say, Duck, but they are the worst offender. Hell, they invented the injection process for turning tough cuts into tender cuts.

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
QWAK,I have always wondered :hmmmm2: ware "ELMERS GLUE" came from and the COW on the label I just sort of ASSUMED :idea: ment it was some how made out of MILK --- perhaps because it is WHITE?:hmmmm2:

Works great on WOOD! :idea::thumbs_up:

Only TERMITES eat WOOD :hmmmm2:-- not PEOPLE!:ahhhhh::afraid::thumbs_down::goodnight:

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Sorry to say, Duck, but they are the worst offender. Hell, they invented the injection process for turning tough cuts into tender cuts.

QWAK,jogslvr,Now I am seariously PISSED OFF :mad: I am not rich or any ware near WEALTHY but I invented "NOTHING DAY" and I send gifts to people who have no reason to expect them and OMAHA STEAKS have been for many years my CHOICE to give somthing SPECIAL they would likely not get for them selves in a store. I have spent SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS doing that with Omaha Steaks!:realmad:

The SOBs messed up my NOTHING DAYS!!:thumbs_down:

They SPOILED somthing that was ment to be shared and I had hoped that some would continue the GIVING GESTURE and in a small way HELP others around them-- make the world a little better place for every one just a little!

Insted they are just a part of all that I am AGENST! :realmad::thumbs_down:

Most likely they also use PINK SLIME in there "STEAK BURGERS" too! :mad::realmad::thumbs_down:

What a DOWNER!!!! :cry_smile:

the DUCK (there is no little face to express what I am feeling)

Alric

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that is why some places usually overcooks meat, and they are kind of nervous about serving you rare steak. Actually I kind of doubt that, they would probably cook it rare and give it to you any way, even if it wasn't safe.

TimoneX

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Many overcook meat because it hides a variety of defects and errors. Chefs are often delighted when some slob orders a well done steak, because they know they cannot sell it in rare or medium form.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Right on right on, the best steak in the world to me is a Delmonaco medium rare off my own charcoal grill.

We are lucky to have 2 places we buy meat from and they both are small local operations supplied by area farmers.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
It's getting to where if you didn't grow it, don't eat it.

yes, you all just grossed out my ham sammich. I hate.:finger:

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
QWAK,DodgebyDave,HUMmmmmmmm :hmmmm2: You just got me thinking and grosed me out agen too :ahhhhh:--- the $8.00 of HONEYED HAM and mesquet smoked turkey I just bought at the delly fressh sliced yesterday at Wallmart:banghead::4_1_72: for SHURE was GLUED together! :thumb.aspx::puke:

It was suposed to be a bit of a treat and not having Omaha Steak Burgers every night like I have been for some time. :realmad:

Well at least my Caned Yagar Baccon is REAL :thumbs_up: I can grow some tomatoes and lettuce and mill some wheat in to flour to make bread :yes: and then have BLTs!:23_30_104::2:

Just got to figure out:hmmmm2::stupido2: how to make "MIRICAL WHIP" and I'm all set up for what ever insanity is likely coming! :s13:

the DUCK :15_1_70v:

Last edited:

sharkman

Cobra Commander
Seeker
Reaction score
I recently made a groupon purchase from Omaha Steaks. I had my doubts about the sirloin since it looks like it could have been formed with transglutaminase (meat glue) then shrink wrapped. I like to eat steak rare so I guess I better cook the Omaha steak a lot longer to kill off any bacteria inside. The USDA is a joke, why is there not full disclosure on this. I think there should be labeling for meat glue and pink slime so consumers are aware. I think the best thing to do is stay away from any shrink wrapped meat, its probably a tell-tale sign. No more Omaha steak for me, I will stick with Publix Premium Choice or buy locally produced beef.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
I fully expected my Aldi honey ham to be chock full of glue. Must be the same stuff as Wall-Screw only in a less fancy package.

I gotta move so I can have real ham. I would gladly sacrifice condiments for real food.

:bulride:

Gcubed

Banned
Reaction score
Beef Tenderloin Spam, what a concept! America, what ARE you eating?? :cry_smile:

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Beef Tenderloin Spam, what a concept! America, what ARE you eating?? :cry_smile:

QWAK,Gcubed,IF/WHEN the grid goes down people will be eating RATS and you will have to watch over your PET CATS and DOGS! :ahhhhh::afraid:

Sort of like when we heard "The DINGOES ate my BABBY!" --- we will hear people say -- "OBAMA ATE MY DOG!":cry_smile: :thumbs_down: --- came back for SECONDS and ATE my CAT!:ahhhhh::afraid::goodnight:

Unclad Lad

Rhodium Imam
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
jogslvr said:
swear to God, these idiots are determined to ruin the US beef industry. And this kind of PR doesn't help my steakhouse business. But, I'm beginning to understand now how my competition, the national chains, are able to beat my prices by such a huge margin.

You're joking, right? Ruin the US beef industry? A trade industry group, doing everything to promote its product, and constantly working to legalize the usage of every last bit of the bovine to increase their profits, try to have it stopped? Are you smoking something?

Do you think those bozos were unaware of the prevalent use of "pink slime"? That they'd somehow be pleased if "Sizzler" stopped buying Grade C beef bits to glue together for the buffet?

You want to make a distinction between your meat and "the industry's"? Then buy better cuts--advertise it as grass fed, free range, hormone and antibiotic-free, etc, and start telling your customers about it. People will pay extra for that, especially if they can taste the difference.

But waiting for the industry bigwigs--the ones who own the "feedlots" filled with 100,000 cattle wallowing in their own excrement--to change, to see the light--that is a loser's approach, something I'd expect a damn hippie to say.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
unbelievable what companies will do

There should be a full disclosure requirement so folks can make an informed decision, if they so choose.

it is unbelievable that the laws of contracts seems oddly missing in all these presumptions of contracts that exist today...

The Law of Contracts*
Requires These Elements
Or The Contract Is Void

1. Offer by person qualified to make the contract.

2. Acceptance by party qualified to make and accept the contract.

3. Bargain or agreement and full disclosure and complete understanding by both parties.

4. Consideration given.

5. Must have the element of time to make the contract lawful.

6. Both parties must be sui juris; that is, of lawful age, usually 21 years old.

*Contracts, by John Calamari and Joseph Perillo, West Publishing Company, St. Paul, Minnesota 55102

Where is the full disclosure, the complete understanding, and the consideration, whether it's mortgages or meat...

corporations function on the premise that we are sheep, cattle, so why do they require our signature?

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Read "The Omnivore's Dilemma." You will have a new perspective on the food chain in the USA.

Gcubed

Banned
Reaction score
You're joking, right? Ruin the US beef industry? A trade industry group, doing everything to promote its product, and constantly working to legalize the usage of every last bit of the bovine to increase their profits, try to have it stopped? Are you smoking something?

Do you think those bozos were unaware of the prevalent use of "pink slime"? That they'd somehow be pleased if "Sizzler" stopped buying Grade C beef bits to glue together for the buffet?

You want to make a distinction between your meat and "the industry's"? Then buy better cuts--advertise it as grass fed, free range, hormone and antibiotic-free, etc, and start telling your customers about it. People will pay extra for that, especially if they can taste the difference.

But waiting for the industry bigwigs--the ones who own the "feedlots" filled with 100,000 cattle wallowing in their own excrement--to change, to see the light--that is a loser's approach, something I'd expect a damn hippie to say.

My God Man! I believe Jog's feelings have the CONSUMERS best interest in mind. I'd have no fear of eating at his place. Hell, I WISH he were within driving distance.

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
it is unbelievable that the laws of contracts seems oddly missing in all these presumptions of contracts that exist today...

Where is the full disclosure, the complete understanding, and the consideration, whether it's mortgages or meat...

corporations function on the premise that we are sheep, cattle, so why do they require our signature?

QWAK,arminius,You make a good point:thumbs_up: They OWN the FARM and we are the ANIMALES on there FARM --- it has always been ANAMAL FARM -- since people FOR GOT to FORGIVE!:thumbs_up::idea:

Jubalee was the ANSWER befor people CHOSE to HOLD DEBTS over generations and turn OTHERS in to SLAVES!:idea::thumbs_down:

It has taken a LONG time to come round to the CONCLUSION that DEBT at this LEVEL can NEVER be FAIRLY REPAYED and must be FORGIVEN and the BALENCE RESET so that man kind can agen make PROGRESS.:yes::36_3_13:

The alternitive is DESTRUCTION on such a GRAND SCALE --- the SURVIVORS will ENVEY the DEAD!:ahhhhh::afraid::vollkommenauf::thumbs_down:

I think they WILL chose to FORGIVE DEBTS and TRESPASSES but likely NOT till they have had a taist :eating: of HELL that they helped create!:508:

I think IT is COMING and real SOON :thumbs_up: but ultimitly it will ALL be for the GOOD (GOD) :shine: Forest fires aint ALL that bad and they serve the purpose of burning off all the DEAD WOOD so new things can grow! :bloomingrose1kz:

the DUCK :15_1_70v:

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I also recommend "The Science and Fine Art of Fasting." Most people can go 30+ days without a bit of food drinking only 1-2 quarts of water per day. I have gone as many as 35 days myself -- I wanted to experience the process and learn how to do it safely before I "had to." Something to think about.

Gcubed

Banned
Reaction score
I also recommend "The Science and Fine Art of Fasting." Most people can go 30+ days without a bit of food drinking only 1-2 quarts of water per day. I have gone as many as 35 days myself -- I wanted to experience the process and learn how to do it safely before I "had to." Something to think about.

Gimme a blood red slab of prime rib and a tater. Sour cream and horse radish on the side. I wanna die happy, not famished. :cool:

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Gimme a blood red slab of prime rib and a tater. Sour cream and horse radish on the side. I wanna die happy, not famished. :cool:

Ummmm... yeah. I was referencing the day when food will NOT be available. It is better to know HOW to go without food before you have to. Trust me, there is a way to fast and live, and a way to fast and die. Get educated.

Gcubed

Banned
Reaction score
Ummmm... yeah. I was referencing the day when food will NOT be available. It is better to know HOW to go without food before you have to. Trust me, there is a way to fast and live, and a way to fast and die. Get educated.

I'm well prepped. Don't try to be a know it all. You'll fail.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'm well prepped. Don't try to be a know it all. You'll fail.

I'm glad your prepped. Stand by your ignorance -- make no apology. Good luck.

jogslvr

Gold Miser
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

Yes, perhaps you're right. I was thinking more of the cattle ranchers than the big packers like Con-Agra (good name), IBP, etc. It's been my experience that the ranchers want to protect their interests by providing high quality beef. Public perception affects their bottom line, too. I'm sure more than a few cringed on the news. I think most everyone would agree that this kind of covert additive activity is under-handed and should, by law, be disclosed and publicly displayed in restaurants and butcher shop/grocers alike.

I don't have a problem with my customers worrying about me ripping them off with glued meat parts. Its just that when crap like this meat glue, mad cow, tainted burger, and unhealthy american grown beef hits the MSM, it turns the public off, in general, and may tends to steer (pun intended) their bucks toward seemingly safer meat products ... whether they are or not. Its gotten to the point that Americans are increasingly losing faith and trust in domestic food suppliers, justifiably so. When 3rd world countries refuse to import American food stuffs over health concerns, it has to make us think twice about what in holy hell is going on with these seedy fvkers.

In ways, this may help me in that it does give me an opportunity to flaunt my quality and at the same time may reduce overall demand to the point that price pulls back within reason for a while.

btw: thanks gcubed for the kind words.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Read "The Omnivore's Dilemma."

My wife has essentially sworn off since reading that book. I've read a few excerpts, but have yet to read it myself. The funny thing is that while she was reading it she would mention this or that and I would let her know that I was already vaguely familiar with the issue as I had already read about it on the 'nutball forum' :p. It was kind of spooky how much she mentioned that I had learned from GIM1.

:beerglass:

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
:shine: Forest fires aint ALL that bad and they serve the purpose of burning off all the DEAD WOOD so new things can grow! :bloomingrose1kz:

Be careful with what you wish because a forest fire will burn meat as well, but i agree. The way of our world has always birth and death and rebirth, and to believe anything else (as in our 'magnificent' civilization) is simply hubris...

I do believe a new epoch is coming, there are many of us, and more all the time who are beginning to program this consciousness, knowing full well the costs of the transition. This programming is not in the mode or model of the un-consciousness pattern of greed, nationalism, and militarism that got us here, as well it can't be. It is a matter of beginning to understand and utilize powers inherent in all of us, which have been hidden, and many are now beginning to discover.

We are not anywhere near as powerless as they would want us to believe.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with my customers worrying about me ripping them off with glued meat parts. Its just that when crap like this meat glue, mad cow, tainted burger, and unhealthy american grown beef hits the MSM, it turns the public off,...

As Unclad Lad mentioned, you might be able to use this uncertainty to your advantage. Suggestion: make it very clear that your product is high quality and has none of those defects. And quality is really worth the extra cost. Remember those commercials for Hebrew National hot dogs? ("They do this, we don't...")

Them:
Burgers may contain pink slime
Steaks may be lower grades artificially softened (I think "softened" sounds worse than "tenderized")
Steaks may be "parts is parts" using meat glue
Best price in town

Here:
All beef is (describe quality)
Quality isn't cheap. But it's worth every penny.

(And how much did you spend last time you went to the movies?)

jogslvr

Gold Miser
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
As Unclad Lad mentioned, you might be able to use this uncertainty to your advantage. Suggestion: make it very clear that your product is high quality and has none of those defects. And quality is really worth the extra cost. Remember those commercials for Hebrew National hot dogs? ("They do this, we don't...")

Them:
Burgers may contain pink slime
Steaks may be lower grades artificially softened (I think "softened" sounds worse than "tenderized")
Steaks may be "parts is parts" using meat glue
Best price in town

Here:
All beef is (describe quality)
Quality isn't cheap. But it's worth every penny.

(And how much did you spend last time you went to the movies?)
You have some good marketing blood in ya, my man! Damn good pep talk and its past time to update the menu anyway.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

QWAK,WOW!!! I wish I had read this thread BEFOR I ordered several hundred dollers of meat from OMAHA STEAKS :ahhhhh::afraid: every thing they sell in in vaccuume sealed plastic and I believed to to be the best meat I could buy NOW :hmmmm2::afraid: not so shure!

I told you in another thread, but did you believe me, Nooooooooooo.

Josey

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Gawd I rarely eat meat. I thought I would eat a steak tonight from outback and I did. Then I read this thread, can’t watch the video or I’ll vomit.