• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Message from "Silver's" wife...

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Hi Folks~
I wanted to let y'all know that my husband, long-time GIMer, "Silver," suffered a massive stroke on the morning of Saturday, March 13. He was flown from our town in the middle of nowhere West Texas to the closest, biggest city with a neurology team, and underwent emergency brain surgery to stop the bleed. They had a drain in the right side of his head for almost two weeks, and drilled a hole in the left side to relieve pressure.

I found him semiconscious and pretty much unresponsive on the bathroom floor that morning. It was a living nightmare.
He spent 13 days in ICU, three days in a regular hell room, and is currently in a rehabilitation hospital closer to where I'm staying at a friend's home. We live 3.5 hours away. I drove home today to check on our cats and 16 year old dog that a friend is taking care of for us, and figured I should update y'all, his "Virtual Friends" as I call you, as best I can.

He had a hemorrhagic stroke on his right side - in the basal ganglia. He is left-handed and his left side just isn't working yet. He's been talking to me for a few days, although his speech is labored and quiet. He is the strongest, most brilliant, most stubborn man I have ever known, and I expect his recovery to be miraculous. He would be horrified to know I'm sharing this information but I opened his computer after all this time, and GIM was open. It was the last thing he was looking at the night before it happened.

Culprit: Untreated hypertension and diabetes. We don't go to doctors (except dentist), we don't eat out, I cook all of our meals and we eat a very healthy diet. The last year's stressors have really done a number on him. Both of his parents suffer/ed from hypertension and diabetes, both on meds, with his mom dying at 83 and his dad still kicking at 95. My anti-med nature man couldn't have stopped this, and he just turned 66 - a vital, strapping, man's man at 66 - and the doctors and nurses are impressed with his recovery and physical condition thus far.

Many of y'all know we started a coffee business and this is how we hit our first year mark. I will have to youtube how to use the vintage roaster once we get back home, just so I can be prepared as his backup. I normally handle everything except the roasting. That's his thing.

Anyway, I have laundry to do and cats to pet before heading 3.5 hours back down the road this evening. I can't stand the thought of being this far from my man.

Check your blood pressure and be well, y'all.

Best,
Loving Wife of Silver

PS - I will have his laptop with me from now on, I know he talks to several of y'all privately.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Thank you very much for relaying the sad news. Been following the projects he posts and given how much he does I really thought he was much younger. Wishing him a speedy recovery and hope you take care of yourself also.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
thank you for taking the time to let us know. mr silver is one of my, and probably many others', favorite posters

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
merged the threads, so hers takes precedent

Scorp

Last edited:

the_shootist

I identify as already vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Hi Folks~
I wanted to let y'all know that my husband, long-time GIMer, "Silver," suffered a massive stroke on the morning of Saturday, March 13. He was flown from our town in the middle of nowhere West Texas to the closest, biggest city with a neurology team, and underwent emergency brain surgery to stop the bleed. They had a drain in the right side of his head for almost two weeks, and drilled a hole in the left side to relieve pressure.

I found him semiconscious and pretty much unresponsive on the bathroom floor that morning. It was a living nightmare.
He spent 13 days in ICU, three days in a regular hell room, and is currently in a rehabilitation hospital closer to where I'm staying at a friend's home. We live 3.5 hours away. I drove home today to check on our cats and 16 year old dog that a friend is taking care of for us, and figured I should update y'all, his "Virtual Friends" as I call you, as best I can.

He had a hemorrhagic stroke on his right side - in the basal ganglia. He is left-handed and his left side just isn't working yet. He's been talking to me for a few days, although his speech is labored and quiet. He is the strongest, most brilliant, most stubborn man I have ever known, and I expect his recovery to be miraculous. He would be horrified to know I'm sharing this information but I opened his computer after all this time, and GIM was open. It was the last thing he was looking at the night before it happened.

Culprit: Untreated hypertension and diabetes. We don't go to doctors (except dentist), we don't eat out, I cook all of our meals and we eat a very healthy diet. The last year's stressors have really done a number on him. Both of his parents suffer/ed from hypertension and diabetes, both on meds, with his mom dying at 83 and his dad still kicking at 95. My anti-med nature man couldn't have stopped this, and he just turned 66 - a vital, strapping, man's man at 66 - and the doctors and nurses are impressed with his recovery and physical condition thus far.

Many of y'all know we started a coffee business and this is how we hit our first year mark. I will have to youtube how to use the vintage roaster once we get back home, just so I can be prepared as his backup. I normally handle everything except the roasting. That's his thing.

Anyway, I have laundry to do and cats to pet before heading 3.5 hours back down the road this evening. I can't stand the thought of being this far from my man.

Check your blood pressure and be well, y'all.

Best,
Loving Wife of Silver

PS - I will have his laptop with me from now on, I know he talks to several of y'all privately.

--------------------

Please be advised,

Scorp
Thank you Scorp. My wishes to Silver and his wonderful wife that his recovery is speedy and smooth!

the_shootist

I identify as already vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
My wishes to Silver and his wonderful wife that his recovery is speedy and smooth! He's tough and that toughness will help him recover from this setback!!

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stuff like this is always hard to hear. Especially when it affects such decent people. It is part of life though and thanks for sharing the experience with us. Your advice on people monitoring their blood pressure may save someone. I will certainly pray for and wish you and your husband well going forward.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The first year of recovery is critical. At the end of a year he will probably be as good as he will ever be. What I’m telling you is you will have to drive him like a rented mule during his rehab. Don’t let him piss and moan his way out of his mental and physical rehab. This will probably be the greatest stressor of your life, Mrs. Silver, so buckle up.

Wishing both of you the best.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
He is the strongest, most brilliant, most stubborn man I have ever known, and I expect his recovery to be miraculous. He would be horrified to know I'm sharing this information but I opened his computer after all this time, and GIM was open. It was the last thing he was looking at the night before it happened.

God bless this couple! Could easily be superimposed for nearly any member here.

Stay strong you two, and please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I'm sure we've passed words, although I can't recall anything specific.

But I hate to hear of this. It's the natural end of all flesh, but it is a troubling reminder.

I can offer no comfort, as I'm not a religious man...condolences, best wishes...but the guy with the scythe is walking behind all of us.

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Thank you for informing us all Mrs. Silver. I speak from the heart when I say I hope everything turns out good in the end.
Hang in there!

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
He's tough and that toughness will help him recover from this setback!!
See there's fringe benefits to hanging out here, we keep each other nice and callused. :-)

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Sorry, nothing useful to add, but I wish to express my best wishes to our forum member.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Best of luck for a good recovery. We're pulling for you.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Wow! Just WOW!

Be thankful for every day you have is all I can say.

Best wishes to you and Silver and thank you for letting us know what is going on.

This place has turned into a family of sorts and we really do care about the members.

Get better Silver!

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
thank you for taking the time to let us know. mr silver is one of my, and probably many others', favorite posters
He's my favorite, too. Thank you <3

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
On a roll....another reminder to believers.

James 5:13

13 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise.
I used to think I prayed A LOT, until my constant praying since this happened. Thank you so much. <3 Prayer of thousands has brought him so very far, so quickly. I'm hoping for more miracles now that y'all know. Positive vibes, prayers, nice thoughts for Silver AKA "Bob" to friends and family. Thank you so much.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Speedy recover to Bob. Thank you for letting us know. Always look forward to your Mr's posts.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I used to think I prayed A LOT, until my constant praying since this happened. Thank you so much. <3 Prayer of thousands has brought him so very far, so quickly. I'm hoping for more miracles now that y'all know. Positive vibes, prayers, nice thoughts for Silver AKA "Bob" to friends and family. Thank you so much.
Now that you've spilled the beans here, he's got no choice but make a miraculous recovery. :spring:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Here's something that may help in some way. I spent the last month fighting covid.
After 2 weeks in bed I lost weight. After 3 weeks muscles started atrophying from not being used. I'm fine now.

I know Silver is going to have to go through something to regain his strength, so if you have a 'YMCA' or some kind of exercise club in your area (sounds as if you're out in the boondocks!)? try to take advantage of it.

I've been doing water aquatics to regain strength.

A PT told me 30 mins in water is like 2 hrs on land and she was right! It's low impact and will wear you right out.

Water Walking - just walking in a pool will help regain strength. Water resistance. They also have aerobic classes that are more intense.

A Physical Therapist might be able to be 'prescribed' by the docs to keep Silver's legs and joints moving while in bed - that's critical to keeping the body in shape.

Good luck with this whole ordeal.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I'm sure we've passed words, although I can't recall anything specific.

But I hate to hear of this. It's the natural end of all flesh, but it is a troubling reminder.

I can offer no comfort, as I'm not a religious man...condolences, best wishes...but the guy with the scythe is walking behind all of us.
As the wife, I'm giving you a "like" here because I too agree we're all going to die. No one gets out of this alive. BUT I'm not ready to let Silver AKA Bob get out this quickly or easily LOL He's a fighter and he's tried to arm wrestle me with his working side and won several times (I only weigh 115 so it's not that big but he could take on anyone with his right arm, right now). AND we just got two Jack Russell Terror puppies 3 weeks prior (not a typo) and I need this man to help me raise our bad babies.

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
he's lucky to have you, Bless the Both of You

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
As the wife, I'm giving you a "like" here because I too agree we're all going to die. No one gets out of this alive. BUT I'm not ready to let Silver AKA Bob get out this quickly or easily LOL He's a fighter and he's tried to arm wrestle me with his working side and won several times (I only weigh 115 so it's not that big but he could take on anyone with his right arm, right now). AND we just got two Jack Russell Terror puppies 3 weeks prior (not a typo) and I need this man to help me raise our bad babies.
Next time you talk to Bob as he awakens from a nap, tell him in a monotone voice, "it's time to make the doughnuts". Maybe that'll kick him into gear like the fella from the old DD commercials.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Here's something that may help in some way. I spent the last month fighting covid.
After 2 weeks in bed I lost weight. After 3 weeks muscles started atrophying from not being used. I'm fine now.

I know Silver is going to have to go through something to regain his strength, so if you have a 'YMCA' or some kind of exercise club in your area (sounds as if you're out in the boondocks!)? try to take advantage of it.

I've been doing water aquatics to regain strength.

A PT told me 30 mins in water is like 2 hrs on land and she was right! It's low impact and will wear you right out.

Water Walking - just walking in a pool will help regain strength. Water resistance. They also have aerobic classes that are more intense.

A Physical Therapist might be able to be 'prescribed' by the docs to keep Silver's legs and joints moving while in bed - that's critical to keeping the body in shape.

Good luck with this whole ordeal.
Thank you! We are totally in the boonies. We live basically in the desert but we do have neighbors with a pool and are going to totally take advantage of it... I was fueling up in our town tonight before the 3.5 hour drive to head back to El Paso where he is (whoops, have I said too much?) and he told me they wanted desperately to help us and I shrugged. Their pool will be the best help. Excellent idea, thank you!!! Now we just need warm enough weather to make it bearable for him. Although the pool might be heated... I'll find out ASAP. His proposed discharge date is April 18th, with only three days of eval so that's not really a thing, but it's a day anyway. I'm just grateful for every monumental baby step. He did something really minute yesterday and I congratulated him (can't recall right now, would have to check my notes) and he mumbled, "What's the big deal?"
I said, "Oh, my honey, everything you DO is a big deal!!!" and that seemed to suffice <3 But he is the strongest man I've ever known, mentally... physically... spiritually... and he always makes me carry heavy shit and makes me get dirty when I want to look pretty. I need him back ASAP!!!!!!!! Sorry for the wall of words, pups in my lap.