• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Message from "Silver's" wife...

OverOver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
This is a hard ordeal to hear. I hope and pray Silver recovers fully and is back participating on the forums soon.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Now that you've spilled the beans here, he's got no choice but make a miraculous recovery. :spring:
Exactly my hopes <3 The first day when I posted from my facebook, we had almost 900 comments of people praying for him. My cousin is Mormon and sent the prayer request to 550,000 people. I'll admit, we're not religious but we're spiritual and respectful. We are both non-practicing Episcopalians and while I lean more towards the Spiritualist views, he leans towards the Native American rituals, honoring land and animals, etc. We're totally not heathens, we just don't go to church on Sundays. We both lost our mothers at Christmastime (mine to domestic abuse and his the next year to heart attack), so we don't really "celebrate" Christmas. But we fervently believe in the power of prayer to God, the Creator of ALL LIFE FORMS. Thank you for prayers, good vibes, nice thoughts... I appreciate every utterance <3

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yesssssssss. So my daughter, the stepdaughter he raised, who she blames for her aMAAAAZING work ethic, now lives in Maine, as an 8th generation Texan. She spent the first week and a half of his hospitalization with me and got me through every moment of every day. She told me, "goin' ta Dunks" is a Mainer thing. LOL
Uyuh. I moved here from an island off Maine's coast.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I was stationed at MacGregor Range for a time in '73.

Here are some other ideas for the pool.

Aquatic Exercise Dumbells - Set of 2 - for Water Aerobics​

These are considered 'large'. If you search around for others that are 1/3 this thickness they would be considered 'light'.
They are held in your hands and provide resistance in the water.

There are flotation belts to keep one vertical. The aquatics class I did today was all floatation. Never touched the bottom. Noodles. Kick boards.

I did sit ups, left, right, center. Cross country skiing. Running in place. I can't remember all the things we did in 60 minutes. I'm gonna sleep well tonight!

Here is a video on just some of the things one can do.

Search YT for others.

edit to add... a wet suit for diving will keep the core warm.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Many of us here are seasoned individuals in our third trimester of life...faith...attitude...and a dose of orneryness are the best medicine....it is a good thing to have life partners to share the load of life in difficult situations....be strong...prayers and God can provide what you need

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Reaction score
Best wishes and a warning. My father had this same thing happen to him a few years back and for the same exact reasons. Initially he adjusted well after the hospital but it took about a week of being home and he lost it entirely. We were told to take him to a psychiatrist but we ignored it because he seemed to be doing well. He began having anger issues and he busted his phone with a cane because someone didn't answer fast enough. Then he went ocd like calling everyone he knows 300 times a day and saying the same thing until the machine was full. In the end he survived and mellowed out some but actually put himself in the nursing home because the stroke made him unable to know when or how to take his medication correctly. My advice is to go to the psychiatrist before it gets bad.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Hypertension is a nasty little sneaker...I had a bout with it too. If not for the savage week long headaches and eventual micro-stroke, I probably would never have known till I keeled over one day. We individualists tend to avoid lab coat wearing types like the plague, and it doesn't always work out well...unfortunately.

Now I gladly take my pit viper venom derivative...like a good little doobie every morning and the headaches are few and far between. ...oh and I had to fire several clients that were making me crazy. Sometimes just exercising regularly, eating well most of the time, and generally being self-aware aren't enough to overcome genetic shortcomings. That's where occasionally checking the blood pressure and sugars come in. Heck, most of us probably check our engine oil level and pressure more often than we check our own.

Be safe out there.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Best wishes and a warning. My father had this same thing happen to him a few years back and for the same exact reasons. Initially he adjusted well after the hospital but it took about a week of being home and he lost it entirely. We were told to take him to a psychiatrist but we ignored it because he seemed to be doing well. He began having anger issues and he busted his phone with a cane because someone didn't answer fast enough. Then he went ocd like calling everyone he knows 300 times a day and saying the same thing until the machine was full. In the end he survived and mellowed out some but actually put himself in the nursing home because the stroke made him unable to know when or how to take his medication correctly. My advice is to go to the psychiatrist before it gets bad.
I can echo this. Seen it in my father and a friend's father.

I cannot even begin to understand what goes through the mind of a stroke victim; but as the New Normal settles in, often it turns to RAGE. My father, in a nursing home, started cursing out the black orderlies in German - a language he didn't use conversationally since childhood. But there he was, and some of the staff knew some German words.

The friend's father was in worse shape - he had no health insurance, and the treatment he got at the Brecksville, Ohio VA hospital was barbaric. The family took him home, with no other options - and he was enraged, soiling himself, smashing things within reach, for the year he held onto life.

Very, very sad. I suppose when my time comes, and stroke seems to be what kills people in my family...I'll probably be home alone, and go that way. It may be a blessing, in the end.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I've always said I run my body like I do my vehicles. Right into the ground. I'm getting better at treating both with some respect.
A little bondo here, some rust reformer there....

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
As the wife, I'm giving you a "like" here because I too agree we're all going to die. No one gets out of this alive. BUT I'm not ready to let Silver AKA Bob get out this quickly or easily LOL He's a fighter and he's tried to arm wrestle me with his working side and won several times (I only weigh 115 so it's not that big but he could take on anyone with his right arm, right now). AND we just got two Jack Russell Terror puppies 3 weeks prior (not a typo) and I need this man to help me raise our bad babies.
No, and if I sounded like I was reproaching, I apologize.

It's a sobering moment. And a blast from my own past...I had to watch grandparents, both sides, and then my father, succumb to stroke. Of them, only a great-uncle was able to bounce back enough to resume a mostly normal life.

Of course this was decades ago. My grandparents and their families had this happen about 50 years ago; and my father had his stroke in 1996. I'd like to believe and hope that medical science has made progress since...

Give Bob/Silver our best.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
No, and if I sounded like I was reproaching, I apologize.

It's a sobering moment. And a blast from my own past...I had to watch grandparents, both sides, and then my father, succumb to stroke. Of them, only a great-uncle was able to bounce back enough to resume a mostly normal life.

Of course this was decades ago. My grandparents and their families had this happen about 50 years ago; and my father had his stroke in 1996. I'd like to believe and hope that medical science has made progress since...

Give Bob/Silver our best.
The spectrum of stroke severity is great. Some people have strokes and dont even know it. Others instantly flatlined. IOW, not all strokes are created equal.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Exactly. I got some spare parts and other parts that were modified to do other functions. Getting afraid I'm running out of lives though.
You should find a local dyno and get your ECM reprogrammed. :D

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few family members this happened to. I have an aunt that can’t speak because of it and a cousin that can’t write and others that recovered well afterwards.

Prayers sent; make sure he doesn’t give up on the recovery.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Exactly my hopes <3 The first day when I posted from my facebook, we had almost 900 comments of people praying for him. My cousin is Mormon and sent the prayer request to 550,000 people. I'll admit, we're not religious but we're spiritual and respectful. We are both non-practicing Episcopalians and while I lean more towards the Spiritualist views, he leans towards the Native American rituals, honoring land and animals, etc. We're totally not heathens, we just don't go to church on Sundays. We both lost our mothers at Christmastime (mine to domestic abuse and his the next year to heart attack), so we don't really "celebrate" Christmas. But we fervently believe in the power of prayer to God, the Creator of ALL LIFE FORMS. Thank you for prayers, good vibes, nice thoughts... I appreciate every utterance <3
Raised by parents that were Catholics, spent some time after my dad's death with born again Christians and spent the first half of my life not believing any of it, especially after becoming a parent. Did find some spirituality when I got off the drugs. Now I feel I'm just one miniscule aspect of the universe. I have found from my experiences that if I believe I'm part of something greater than myself, my world is much more fluid.

Agavegirl1

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Dear loving spouse of @Silver,

Thank you for commandeering the GIM account and letting us know the scoop. I am also in my "third trimester of life" (kudos to @ttazzman) and have suffered from "familial hypertension" since I was 28, a female, and weighing in at 107 pounds. For me, it is a hereditary thing but it is something my entire family (Dad plus 4 of 6 kids) suffered with. I use past tense because my father died at age 50 when I was 30. Myself and three younger brothers are extremely careful with our BP due to this.

As @solarion said, HBP is "a nasty little sneaker". Due to Covid, I allowed my cheap, generic prescriptions to lapse and had an incident I won't get into now.

Your encouragement and optimism will go a long way in Silver's recovery and I am so happy you have reached out to GIM. That pool of your neighbors sounds perfect. My family has been in rural healthcare for years. Some in administration (me and Dad) and some as providers (sister, brother and niece). We have seen so many success stories after stroke. And no.....my father did not have a stroke. He developed a rare form of kidney cancer because he did not control his BP. However, we established a scholarship in his name for health care workers in our small bumflip MN community at the local tech school.

If you would like to send a message, feel free.

Bigfoot

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Mrs. Silver, thank you for letting us know about Silver's condition. I have enjoyed his posts on this forum immensely. Like you and your husband, I try to avoid hospitals and medical procedures as much as possible. However, I would like to mention something I've learned about in the past year, that I think is applicable to Silver's case. Hyperbaric oxygen.

Basically, they put the patient in a pressurized chamber and let him breath 100% oxygen for an hour or two per session. The increased oxygen under pressure allows it to flow to, and repair, damaged tissues that would not otherwise be accessible. Here is some more information about it.

Another option, one that can be done at home, but that works on the same principal, is EWOT, Exercise With Oxygen Therapy.

I'm glad to hear about the progress that Silver has made so far, and I look forward to his return to the forum. God bless you both.

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
honoring land and animals,

knew there was something aok with him,

especially the animal part

as for the rest of you narethewells, you do realize she drew first blood by calling ya'll misfits right?

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
i resemble that remark

i wear it like a Badge of Honor

:2 thumbs up:

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Agreeing in prayer for Silver's full recovery!

"exceeding abundantly, above all we ask or think"
Thats what our Father does as He is absolutely good!

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
he is the strongest man I've ever known, mentally... physically... spiritually...

This kind of faith, love and belief in him is going to be your best tool to his recovery. I'm so proud of women that unashamedly assert their devotion to their man. I am so very sorry this has happened and thank you for sharing. Seems to me you're strong enough for both of you. Maybe it was carrying all that heavy dirty stuff lol.
We look forward to hearing his recovery is swift and complete.

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Prayers for healing & recovery.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Ah heck!

Ive chatted with Bob quite a bit via pm, im sorry to hear hes had a run of bad luck. Best regards to him and the mrs, and heres to a speedy recovery!

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
What's the deal with the coffee? I'd order some.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
You have my prayers. Both of you.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Wishing Silver a speedy recovery (make him talk with you and read out loud a lot) and wishing you Mrs. Silver strength and patience in the months to come. I deal with Stroke patients quite a lot and it's very rewarding to see the progress that many of them can make, but it is a bumpy road sometimes to get there.

All the best!

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
This kind of faith, love and belief in him is going to be your best tool to his recovery. I'm so proud of women that unashamedly assert their devotion to their man. I am so very sorry this has happened and thank you for sharing. Seems to me you're strong enough for both of you. Maybe it was carrying all that heavy dirty stuff lol.
We look forward to hearing his recovery is swift and complete.
I try to do as much as possible for my wife, kids, the people I care about and my handful of clients. Sometimes when asked to but for the most part because I feel that I could be of service with only a thank you or acknowledgement, i.e. cookies or chocolate sufficing for payment.

On a personal finding, there is a line between being helpful and being a caretaker. Both partners need to know how and what to do to keep things functioning. There are differences between the sexes but that in no way means one can't do what the other does even if it gets done differently.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'm praying for Silvers quick recovery, good health and quick return to his abundant wit in this forum.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I can only add to all the great comments.
Thank you so much for taking the time to inform us of Silvers medical condition & like everyone before me I/we wish him a full recovery & look forward to him being back soon. Keep up the good fight, Silver ! :sick:fighting:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The only thing I can add is that Silver's posts are always worth reading, and not to be skipped over. Much insight and wisdom can be gleaned by clicking on his avatar and then "postings".

Jodster

Always wrong
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Lost my Mother In Law to stroke. The first round was tough enough to put her on a walker. He was chronically depressed thereafter and shunned physical therapy. The second stroke, a few years later ended it.
This past year, my neighbour, J.P., had a similar stroke. As soon as his discharge from hospital, I would watch him hobble by my house multiple times a day. This says something considering the Canadian winter we just went through. Now JP is back to work 3 days a week as a plumber.
Bob's resolve to get back on his feet will be critical.
The human body is a miraculous machine. It has almost infinite capacity to regenerate itself. Combined with prayer and the indomitable human spirit, we hope to see Mr. Silver on here shortly and regaining the tasks he so enjoys at home. Blessings.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
as for the rest of you narethewells, you do realize she drew first blood by calling ya'll misfits right?
That's ok. She can call us what she wants, she's family.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I now understand why my man spends so much time with y'all - thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. What a tremendous community you all are!!!

Years ago, I had an account here and enjoyed it tremendously - I was Liz Anya (Lasagna - get it??) but haven't logged in in almost a decade.

I am heading out the door to see him now - his last therapy ends at 1 p.m. and it takes me half an hour to get there. I'm going to see if I can find some headphones that cover his ears along the way... I want to play relaxation and healing meditations for him when he wants. I've been rubbing his feet with aromatherapy oils containing CBD. I don't think that can hurt.

At the beginning of my 3.5 hour journey back to the city, I got pulled over for speeding on a lonely stretch of highway that I've never seen a car on before. There was something quite funny (maybe delirium was taking hold) about not really caring if I got a ticket or not, while holding my driver license and my License to Carry out the window of my personal conveyance.

Ended up with a warning and well-wishes for Bob from the trooper, who also told me to be sure and put my pistol in the door pocket rather than in my purse, for easiest access. Trooper gave me a warning, I gave him some coffee. I look forward to showing Bob my first-ever moving violation warning today. He'll get a kick out of it but will ask if I videoed, which I didn't.

I want to "like" and respond to everyone and will do my best to catch up later, but please know I appreciate every single comment. Many of you, I feel like I know from Bob sharing stories from his side of the home office.

Grateful,
Wife of Silver

Last edited: