• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Message from "Silver's" wife...

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Silver Bob's so lucky to have you. Well wishes from this entire group of deplorables. Even the ones that argue a lot.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers for real. And thanks for picking up his computer and letting us know. Silver is obviously a very skillfull and talented man. Prayers for a full recovery.... I'm sure he will be working on his next project soon enough!
I never met my Grandfather on my Dads side of the family. Hypertension took him when my Dad was 13 years old. It's a long story of survival in a very small depressed town... Blah blah blah.. Anyways my Dads been on BP meds for as long as I can remember and he's now 78 years old and hanging in there. I've been taking BP meds for the last 2 years. I suffered a hydrogen sulfide exposure at work and had to undertake a medical exam of sorts.... Long story short, I wasnt allowed to return to work till my BP was under control.

Take care Mrs. Silver, and make sure Silver takes his BP meds. They do work with minimal side effects.

Last edited:

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I now understand why my man spends so much time with y'all - thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. What a tremendous community you all are!!!

Years ago, I had an account here and enjoyed it tremendously - I was Liz Anya (Lasagna - get it??) but haven't logged in in almost a decade.

I am heading out the door to see him now - his last therapy ends at 1 p.m. and it takes me half an hour to get there. I'm going to see if I can find some headphones that cover his ears along the way... I want to play relaxation and healing meditations for him when he wants. I've been rubbing his feet with aromatherapy oils containing CBD. I don't think that can hurt.

At the beginning of my 3.5 hour journey back to the city, I got pulled over for speeding on a lonely stretch of highway that I've never seen a car on before. There was something quite funny (maybe delirium was taking hold) about not really caring if I got a ticket or not, while holding my driver license and my License to Carry out the window of my personal conveyance.

Ended up with a warning and well-wishes for Bob from the trooper, who also told me to be sure and put my pistol in the door pocket rather than in my purse, for easiest access. Trooper gave me a warning, I gave him some coffee. I look forward to showing Bob my first-ever moving violation warning today. He'll get a kick out of it but will ask if I videoed, which I didn't.

I want to "like" and respond to everyone and will do my best to catch up later, but please know I appreciate every single comment. Many of you, I feel like I know from Bob sharing stories from his side of the home office.

Grateful,
Krysta
You gave him coffee!? Lol how about that. *grin*

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
think he lives out there where they took out scalia

the int'l banker fears the west texas coffee dealer

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, how is the patient doing?

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I apologize for the slow update... my head spins most evenings when I get home from spending time with the aMaZiNg SILVER :)

Yesterday marks one month (by the calendar) of his major brain bleed - AND I'M TAKING HIM HOME TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent almost four hours in "training" with his occupational, speech and of course physical therapists. I am convinced that anything they can do, I can do better. I am practicing reflexology on him at the rehab center every night, and rubbing him down with CBD infused essential oils for his condition. I see almost immediate response from his super weak left side when I take him into my hands - and I can't wait to have him under my care and supervision 25 hours a day. Healing will truly begin once he gets out of that blasted hospital bed and into our own home again.

This time tomorrow, we should be making his triumphant return home!!! I'll be able to take him to outpatient therapy half an hour from home and that's just fine.

The inept dietitian - who hides out at another hospital and isn't available for concerned advocates/family members - needs to be tarred and feathered - the nighttime snack for my diabetic husband was half a PB&J on white bread with a container of apple juice!!! And they wondered why his blood sugar was consistently over 300?!

The director told me that snack is to "keep their blood sugar from dropping to 50 overnight." I said, "Ma'am, if we could even GET his blood sugar to drop to 50, that would be okay. PLEASE STOP DOING THIS TO HIM!!!"

Once I FINALLY got them to listen, his blood sugar immediately went to 150. Now for almost a week, it's been under 89 most of the time. He's gone from countless units of insulin injected into his abdomen to taking Metformin in the morning and at dinner. His blood pressure is a steady 110/80. I'm not a dietitian but I know stuff about things... after all, I'm Silver's Wife, so you KNOW something's rubbed off on me after all these years ;)

I am confident we will be able to get him off pharma and better than ever before, now that we know what we're dealing with.

Thank you ALL for your prayers, good vibes, positive thoughts... this too shall pass and we are on the way to true recovery!!!

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good for you and Silver/Bob. I'm a diabetic myself (type1) as was my father and my oldest son. One thing I've discovered is that medical personnel who are not diabetic are completely clueless. The only thing they know is high protein and no sugar. They have no clue that your body turns EVERYTHING you eat into glucose. The reason protein is good is because the digestive process uses more energy to process it than the glucose it produces.
They have no idea of the balancing act it is to maintain your blood sugar. Personally my biggest fear is going low and losing consciousness. I've seen it many time with both my dad and my son. But bloods sugars over 300 while in the care of medical personal is unacceptable.

Happy to hear you are taking him home where you can better care for him. Its also good news to see he's making progress and starting to recover. You'll both be in my prayers.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The very fact that he has someone like you Ms Silver, shows his awesomess. Thank you for your update, getting him home, and with your obvious love and care, I'm sure we'll be hearing from him soon.

Last edited:

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Man, I need to a find an articulate, durable, smart, funny, thoughtful, loving, affectionate, courageous woman like this. Wow.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I apologize for the slow update... my head spins most evenings when I get home from spending time with the aMaZiNg SILVER :)

Yesterday marks one month (by the calendar) of his major brain bleed - AND I'M TAKING HIM HOME TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent almost four hours in "training" with his occupational, speech and of course physical therapists. I am convinced that anything they can do, I can do better. I am practicing reflexology on him at the rehab center every night, and rubbing him down with CBD infused essential oils for his condition. I see almost immediate response from his super weak left side when I take him into my hands - and I can't wait to have him under my care and supervision 25 hours a day. Healing will truly begin once he gets out of that blasted hospital bed and into our own home again.

This time tomorrow, we should be making his triumphant return home!!! I'll be able to take him to outpatient therapy half an hour from home and that's just fine.

The inept dietitian - who hides out at another hospital and isn't available for concerned advocates/family members - needs to be tarred and feathered - the nighttime snack for my diabetic husband was half a PB&J on white bread with a container of apple juice!!! And they wondered why his blood sugar was consistently over 300?!

The director told me that snack is to "keep their blood sugar from dropping to 50 overnight." I said, "Ma'am, if we could even GET his blood sugar to drop to 50, that would be okay. PLEASE STOP DOING THIS TO HIM!!!"

Once I FINALLY got them to listen, his blood sugar immediately went to 150. Now for almost a week, it's been under 89 most of the time. He's gone from countless units of insulin injected into his abdomen to taking Metformin in the morning and at dinner. His blood pressure is a steady 110/80. I'm not a dietitian but I know stuff about things... after all, I'm Silver's Wife, so you KNOW something's rubbed off on me after all these years ;)

I am confident we will be able to get him off pharma and better than ever before, now that we know what we're dealing with.

Thank you ALL for your prayers, good vibes, positive thoughts... this too shall pass and we are on the way to true recovery!!!
That kind of care in an institution of medicine, is, frankly, terrifying.

And it's one more reason I'm grateful to be in an area that is well off, and with solid medical professionals, in abundance.

White bread? Apple Juice? Why not just POISON him!

And, low blood sugar. That was the most terrifying part of working on the railroad...I was developing issues, but didn't yet know how or what they were. Working an unfamiliar job (I was on the extra-board and a new employee) I remember when we were two busy (industry switch-outs) for me to grab a bite to eat. Low blood sugar...disorientation. Thank gawd nothing happened.

Thank gawd I'm out for good. If I am. If this insaniac government doesn't take my Railroad Retirement pension away.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Mrs. Silver, thanks for the update. I'm confident that he will do much better under your competent care than he could in that hospital, and that with Silver's intellect, he will make the lifestyle changes necessary to keep the diabetes under control. Sometimes the care of a competent Naturopathic Doctor (if one is available in your area) can help guide people to the right supplement and nutrition choices and verify them with regular lab work.
GLTU!

GOLDBRIX

'SUSH, MY NEW SAFE HOUSE"
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Man, I need to a find an articulate, durable, smart, funny, thoughtful, loving, affectionate, courageous woman like this. Wow.
Those are few and far between, and I'm married.

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Mrs. Silver,

I'm an on again, off again member. You are an amazing woman, to a very great guy. The folks here are real people, that truly have a passion for life, and for the things that they believe in. I have learned a lot over the time that I have spent from the folks like Silver, Irons, Goldgehedge, Scorp, and the rest of the hoodlums that have added to my quality of life.

I'm positive that Silver will find his way, it will take time and love, I pray that you will get to spend many more years together.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
That kind of care in an institution of medicine, is, frankly, terrifying.
There is a saying "A hospital is no place to be for sick people".

Wife of Silver

Reaction score
Update on Silver:
I actually was able to spring him on Thursday of last week. To say that this is the hardest thing we've ever tackled is an absolute understatement.

We are so fortunate to have our town rallying around us, and are lining up a home healthcare lady who has been donating her time for a few days... ironically, a nurse that works with her in her private home healthcare company came to meet us today, and is in the process of moving into the house behind us. Literally in our backyard. CRAZY!

Silver is a very stubborn and strong man. We had his first session of outpatient PT and OT yesterday at our closest hospital, and feeling confident, he tried to get out of the electric recliner and dumped himself on the floor. It could've been the worst, but thankfully, he is alive.

Not cool, Silver. Not cool.

We are up every hour of the night tending to his needs. I am running on fumes. He needs rest and I need to get things done when he rests during the day. Tonight is the first time I've stuck the power cord in my computer because I am called every five minutes to do a task for the man that I love.
I do, however, need to file our quarterly sales taxes without being summoned every five minutes but oh well. I'd hate it to be otherwise.

I am still confident in his full recovery - with minimal if any pharma. Upon leaving rehab, we had to fill "his prescriptions" and it was $800 for 8 bottles of pills... I got home and started looking at them, called the local doctor here who said, "Take him off most of those!" One of them was a SECOND diabetes med they didn't tell me he was on, and it was $650 for 30 pills. Stunning.

They had him on an acid reflux med, because another med caused acid reflux. They had him on Lipitor, which causes diabetes, joint pain, brain fog, etc. They had him on a stool softener because he had constipation - well, acid reflux meds kill the acid in your stomach that digests your food and CAUSE constipation. I haven't given him the high blood pressure med in two days because his blood pressure is 114/80 or lower, consistently. His blood sugar stays at about 100 so I am giving him the Metformin until we get it figured out. I'm giving him morning and evening doses of broad spectrum CBD oral oil and I think it's really, truly helping.

I'm so pissed that we were duped into paying for that worthless BS pharma. I need to get back to the taxes before he needs me to do something like take off his socks or put them back on. Please continue to keep Silver in your prayers!

Exhausted yet filled with gratitude,
Wife of Silver

Hystckndle

SWEATEQUITYIS$$$
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Thanks ! for the update.
Again, " positive vibes in your direction "...and that is not from just me...from many of us.
I truly wished I lived closer.
Myself and the missus would like to participate in dealing with the crotchity stubborn guy we know he is.
:) :) :)
I understand the meds thing, same thing here when exiting the hospital..." what the hay is THIS one for !? "
Same thing...acid reflux...g o n e , as well as 2 others.
NOTE: I take Metformin, free here at our Publix, totally voluntarily as it works great for me and also white papers say it assists with cancer prevention as well. ( another low cost item they don't spray news about all over )

THANKS again for the update, much, much, much respect for the both of you.
Regards,
Haystackneedle

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Update on Silver:
I actually was able to spring him on Thursday of last week. To say that this is the hardest thing we've ever tackled is an absolute understatement.

We are so fortunate to have our town rallying around us, and are lining up a home healthcare lady who has been donating her time for a few days... ironically, a nurse that works with her in her private home healthcare company came to meet us today, and is in the process of moving into the house behind us. Literally in our backyard. CRAZY!

Silver is a very stubborn and strong man. We had his first session of outpatient PT and OT yesterday at our closest hospital, and feeling confident, he tried to get out of the electric recliner and dumped himself on the floor. It could've been the worst, but thankfully, he is alive.

We are up every hour of the night tending to his needs. I am running on fumes. He needs rest and I need to get things done when he rests during the day. Tonight is the first time I've stuck the power cord in my computer because I am called every five minutes to do a task for the man that I love.
I do, however, need to file our quarterly sales taxes without being summoned every five minutes but oh well. I'd hate it to be otherwise.

I am still confident in his full recovery - with minimal if any pharma. Upon leaving rehab, we had to fill "his prescriptions" and it was $800 for 8 bottles of pills... I got home and started looking at them, called the local doctor here who said, "Take him off most of those!" One of them was a SECOND diabetes med they didn't tell me he was on, and it was $650 for 30 pills. Stunning.

They had him on an acid reflux med, because another med caused acid reflux. They had him on Lipitor, which causes diabetes, joint pain, brain fog, etc. They had him on a stool softener because he had constipation - well, acid reflux meds kill the acid in your stomach that digests your food and CAUSE constipation. I haven't given him the high blood pressure med in two days because his blood pressure is 114/80 or lower, consistently. His blood sugar stays at about 100 so I am giving him the Metformin until we get it figured out. I'm giving him morning and evening doses of broad spectrum CBD oral oil and I think it's really, truly helping.

I'm so pissed that we were duped into paying for that worthless BS pharma. I need to get back to the taxes before he needs me to do something like take off his socks or put them back on. Please continue to keep Silver in your prayers!

Wife of Silvout.
You guys have the prayers.

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Step one...home.

Is it out of line to ask to set up a go fund me within this site? Only if Blue Tongue gives the ok and Mrs Silver is ok also.
Just a suggestion that I'm ok with. Don't know their situation, just a thought...not opposed to helping the crotchety impaired...smiling

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
called the local doctor here who said, "Take him off most of those!"
It's great to have a local doctor that doesn't drink the pharma cool-aid! Your experiences with the medical establishment are typical. Hopefully Medicare pays for the unneeded pills.
Best wishes.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
GoodRX is a way to save on prescriptions also.

Stay strong!

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Update on Silver:

Wife of Silver
Silver is a very stubborn and strong man.

Haha, I think this would be almost the only thing that most everyone here has in common. Especially the stubborn part. God help anyone who ever has to help an old man Voodoo out.

Edit: Except for the doctors. They probably will deserve the crap I spew.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Update on Silver:

Wife of Silver
Tell him silver just did a moonshot to $1200 oz.

.. He'll be up and running to the computer!

swpp4.jpg

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
GoodRX is a way to save on prescriptions also.

Stay strong!

One of the main reasons I keep my residence in the EU...
Since I don't have any "working income", I don't get "income-taxed" - but huge taxes on everything else - but Gvmt healthcare covers 85% of my medical & prescription costs, and the remaining 15% is covered by a complementary insurance that costs us $170/month (for a couple, late 60's, early '70's).
We haven't had any "really major health problems" (yet), but it's quite comforting to know that "I won't lose the house" if something happens...

But IF I went to work - my "wages" would be under $15/hour, compared to the $40-$80/hour in the US for my skilled trade...

"Toss-ups"....

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
We are up every hour of the night tending to his needs. I am running on fumes.
You need to take care of yourself as well Mrs... if you get sick that won't bode well for either one of you...!

Great town you guys live in! That's what community is all about.

Wife of Silver

Reaction score
Hi Everyone~
Just a quick note while I have a moment - I'm going to answer as many questions here as I can rather than individually.

1. We found out last night that the generous ladies in town decided to only pay for one month of our home healthcare, but were "happy to help me fund raise if it's not in your budget." No one knows the status of our "money" but we've sunk a LOT into our project here and I was pretty taken aback by her phone call last night. I called our home healthcare angel (who actually goes down more rabbit holes than WE do, crazy enough!) and she said that it is her honor to take care of us and see us through, payment or no payment. She is amazing and strong and brilliant, and ironically, the same age as Silver. When I let the town's rich lady know that we decided WE would keep paying for our new caregiving friend, she promptly brought me a check for $1400- which covers one month. I'm confused and it's weird how people act. And the caregiver said that she didn't want the money but to give it to her assistant, who ironically moved into the house behind ours YESTERDAY. Funny how things work for us.

2. Some of my good friends started a GoFundMe when it first happened, and that has been a lifesaver. I had been prepared to deal with mailing off a monster box and waiting a week to get the funds but that GoFundMe took away my worries - our income is gone for the time being. Never in a million years did we think WE would be on the receiving end of a GoFundMe, we normally make donations and help as we can. It's humbling, and every donation made me cry. That being said, I am fine with a GoFundMe. The kindness and generosity of others has enabled me to focus all of my energy on Silver.

When I told him if we did that, it would give up his anonymity here. He said, "That's fine. It's not like we're in hiding. You are in the newspaper every week. You should use your own picture for your icon. And you should link your articles for them to be able to read." So I guess Robert and Krysta Johns of Fort Davis, TX are unmasked now. I write weekly for the Alpine Avalanche (5 years), am syndicated in a number of Senior Lifestyle newspapers around the country (New Hampshire, Idaho, Montana to name a few places) and wrote a weekly in Boerne for nine years... that's how my penpal RJ and I first communicated - his snarky yet helpful emails were impeccably written, how could I not fall in love with someone like that?!

3. My professional background is in marketing, writing and now our coffee business. Nursing is all brand new to me and it's HARD. My blood pressure is very high, sleep is very little, and I just want him to be taken care of. We took an hour and a half nap today, and when I took his blood pressure (which is fantastically low, without BP meds!), mine was 147/110 with a pulse of 107. Is that bad? Asking for a friend. Caregiving is HARD, even when you love the patient with every fiber of your being.

4. Bob's communication is really terrific. As a matter of fact, I had to stop at this sentence because he kept asking me to read it to him before I posted and he finally said, "Cat got your tongue??" He was reading a page on a book a lady sent me - she and her husband wrote it after his stroke - and got choked up and put it down. There's still confusion about things, lots of obsessing over little things (socks on, sock off, pants on, pants off, hold the pee bottle (no pee), five minutes later, hold the pee bottle, etc.) but I have no doubt that his brain is making new pathways and all of that is totally expected.

5. He went pretty dark on me this morning and our caregiver, we'll call her Connie, came over as soon as I called. she specializes in hospice care and is so excited to be helping someone heal rather than crossover. She said suicide is unchangeable and not his best bet. But that it's totally normal to have these thoughts. And that some pretty amazing things will be coming our way this summer so we need to get a daily workout regimen started and get strong. For whatever reason, his physical therapy is only two days a week, which is NOTHING. He agreed and we have had a good day. He sleeps a LOT and I'm trying to get him out of bed - he ate a late lunch at the breakfast table and fed himself. Then slept for two hours. But that's okay because he also took a shower with her help (there's no physical way for me to do it - I'm too lightweight).

I think that about covers it and then some...? Bob says he is so grateful for all of you. I haven't read him any posts, just names of people that have written. He is very emotional post-stroke.

At his request, my blog, where I post the weekly columns is www.becausefoodiswhatido.com and I'm usually pretty slow at updating LOL
If you remember the "Sleepwalking Murder Trial in Houston" in November of 2019, that was my family. My precious mother was murdered by her husband of 37 years and it took us 6 years to finally get justice. There's a blog entry or two about that.
Our coffee business, temporarily on-hold, is Texas Coffee Roasters LLC - found on facebook, instagram and at www.texascoffeeroasters.net I'm having trouble getting the new SSL certificate to work even though it says it's fine on our end, but if you visit the site, it claims to be unsafe - it's not, just power through.

And, I am a huge Jon Levi fan (anyone else watch his videos on YouTube?), fascinated by Mud Flood, antiquitech, the "World's Fairs" and all that is BS that we've accepted as truth. Maybe that should be my tagline LOL

Again, many thanks to every one of you and I'll check in whenever I can!

Grateful,
Krysta - Wife of Silver

Hystckndle

SWEATEQUITYIS$$$
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Thanks for the message.
A LOT of information in there.
Not surprised at the folks who have " alligator " hands
as far as assisting.
You are good to take all that in stride.
I am headed out,
did you post the address of his GoFundMe ?
Can you ?
Asking for a friend.
Also, your BP is concerning me.
Yes, this is really stressful.
Perhaps Avalon can come through here and some others and assist with that.

Back later and thanks ! for the communication.
Positive vibes uyour way. :)
" Cat got your tongue !!?? "
LOL...yeah...that is him alright.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I took his blood pressure (which is fantastically low, without BP meds!), mine was 147/110 with a pulse of 107. Is that bad?
I think it would be high for a Buddhist monk in Tibet who has all material cares given. It might be rather low for a soldier in an active war zone. You have a patient that needs care, and you put yourself into overdrive to do EVERY SINGLE THING YOU CAN. When I have some non-personal job, I often go into "turbo" mode, where I observe my whole essence speeds up to get it done. Even when it is just taking the truckload of "Bountiful Baskets" produce and dividing it into the members' baskets. I get what you are going through. I suggest you consider it normal and hopefully temporary.
Asking for a friend. Caregiving is HARD, even when you love the patient with every fiber of your being.
I suggest the change from "even when" to "especially when". Don't doctors defer to others for surgery for family members? Don't lawyers get another when they need to face litigation? It is natural to care for a loved one, but is it not hard to be the primary caregiver? Please, do what you can, but accept the help that is offered. And understand why others will offer help. I ask directly, "why are others helping?" The answer will affirm why Silver is worthy of respect.
He went pretty dark on me this morning and our caregiver, we'll call her Connie, came over as soon as I called. she specializes in hospice care and is so excited to be helping someone heal rather than crossover. She said suicide is unchangeable and not his best bet. But that it's totally normal to have these thoughts.
He is still here, so he still has more to do. Life is a job. We have work to do. Quitting your job just means you have to get a new job. He needs to be here to do what he needs to do. Quitting now is leaving us without whatever he might have added.

OKAY! I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE WILL GIVE, BUT WE NEED IT! Can I get any plainer than that?! Please read this to him.

My words are leaving me emotional and crying. So be it. I wish the best for you both.