• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Metal detectors, reviews.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Going through you tube reviews of metal detectors. Figure others might also have some interest and of course, all comments welcome from those in the know. :).

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Looks like the AT pro dropped off at 9-12 inches. The other was definitely reading deeper. These were in air tests.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Pssh. Only a barbarian would want to pick up free gold and silver from the dirty ground. There's a Pirate round these parts that is still into that old stuff. He even posts pictures of him digging up dirty jewelry! Can ya believe it!?

Rumor has it that pirate guy recommends the Garrett AT pro ya posted.

Careful, I hear it's addictive! :)

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Pssh. Only a barbarian would want to pick up free gold and silver from the dirty ground. There's a Pirate round these parts that is still into that old stuff. He even posts pictures of him digging up dirty jewelry! Can ya believe it!?

Rumor has it that pirate guy recommends the Garrett AT pro ya posted.

Careful, I hear it's addictive! :)
Yea I am leaning towards that detector for sure but looking at a bunch of reviews first and looking at side by side comparisons as much as I can find..

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got any cool spots scoped out already or just planning on swinging it till it beeps?

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Got any cool spots scoped out already or just planning on swinging it till it beeps?
there's a few lakes around here and some old battlefields. Lots of old farms around here too and after harvest time the farmers probably wouldn't mind if I go do some digging. I also want to do a little traveling and take it where others probably haven't been before, like Cuba. :). Gazillions of miles of coastline and few people ever go. Havana was a major Spanish stopping place so there could be some good finds there. Of course they probably wouldn't let me keep much or take it out of the country but in Cuba anything is possible. :). Then there's the PI.. Still that Japanese treasure that hasn't been found. :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That all sounds exciting! Great, great idea going to Coo-ba. Put on some dark shades and wrap a red piece of tape at the end of yer beeper and people will probably think your just some lost, silly, blind guy. : P

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
there's a few lakes around here and some old battlefields. Lots of old farms around here too and after harvest time the farmers probably wouldn't mind if I go do some digging. I also want to do a little traveling and take it where others probably haven't been before, like Cuba. :). Gazillions of miles of coastline and few people ever go. Havana was a major Spanish stopping place so there could be some good finds there. Of course they probably wouldn't let me keep much or take it out of the country but in Cuba anything is possible. :). Then there's the PI.. Still that Japanese treasure that hasn't been found. :)

Nice posts.
Cuba does not allow metal detecting.
My contact says one must take risk, and bribe foot patrol in order to search beach(es).
If you know people there you may be able to night hawk their private property, or others.
USA is one of the few countries in which the govt does not own land upon which we live(but does- taxation) or what is within it.

Was a Whites detector operator, now Minelab E-trac.
Equinox is the cutting edge and is far more advanced than competition.
I would bet if needed to sell used, Equinox would resell with ease.
The Equinox's 800 price is now close to Garret's; I think in order to secure market sector.
The E-trac $1500+ and then 3030 $3000? were overpriced even though best available unless spending for specialized.

I will be purchasing an Equinox 800 as I am Minelab trained now and thus biased.
However, I watch other diggers on youtube dig, and the Equinox is far better than Garret.
Some who sell detectors or are hard core diggers, have switched to using Equinox based on performance.
Very interesting to watch others go over searched areas and recover more, deeper and/or covered by iron.

The first guy you have vid of is a Minelab rep. I have never been impressed with his presentations.
I am waiting for the dirt on the Equinox to come out before buying.
Yet, I have not heard any.
As a predominately male hobby, many will be silent even when fooled to purchase.
However, I am ready for a faster machine and looked at XP Deus, and waited for less functionally complicated and waterproof.

Wish you well and hope you begin discovering and saving history !

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thanks for all the info. It's always good to get feedback from people using the actual machines.

Cuba is a funny place. One of those places where it's important to have contacts and yes a small bribe will get you about anything you want. Just getting into the country with a metal detector will probably cost you 10-20 bucks just to get through customs. Best to just slip that 20 into your passport before you even get started. :).

The AT pro is a very good machine if your going to be doing a lot of fresh water digging.
The Teknetics looks very capable and at a price point that is entry level (399) seems to be very good value for the money. Seems to have good depth to it and the coil is waterproof so the edge of ponds and lakes probably wouldn't be a problem. I even looked at videos of the AT pro with the larger coil and the Teknetics still seemed to do better with the stock coil.
The equinox is waterproof so it's like having 2 machines in 1. Over twice the price of the teknetics but if I bought the teknetics I would definitely be buying a 2nd waterproof machine like the AT pro.

I will definitely look into the equinox more. I'll see if I can find a equinox vas teknetics video.

It looks like the equinox would be a step down from the e trac no?

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Treasure hunting is a wonderful obsession! Whichever machine you decide on get to know it inside and out.
Knowing your machine and all of it's quirks is more important than what it costs. Write that on your hand.
Also lots of the newest whiz-bang machines are delicate as hell and you have to send the entire thing to the
manufacturer and wait weeks for even a simple repair. You can find reviews on any machine just by doing a google search and following links to MD forums.

Simple and rugged works best for me, and I know my machines so well I hear things that mere mortals can't.

Good luck on your choice and good hunting to you! We like pictures! . . Detector.gif

(12)RS.jpg 1RS.jpg aa1.jpg 22k.jpg 2-16-17- (7)rs.jpg

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I forgot to add don't overlook used machines. MOST people who try this hobby never make it over the hump and end up selling their gear cheap on ebay.

The hump is the hardest part of the learning curve that all machines have. The first 100 hours is just getting to know it, the couple hundred after that consists of somewhat knowing the machine and making some good finds.
The hump is going from finding some good things to consistently finding good things. Most never make it.

"The metal detector is between your ears, grasshopper. The electronic thingy just shows you where to dig."

Last edited:

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
Thanks for all the info. It's always good to get feedback from people using the actual machines.

Cuba is a funny place. One of those places where it's important to have contacts and yes a small bribe will get you about anything you want. Just getting into the country with a metal detector will probably cost you 10-20 bucks just to get through customs. Best to just slip that 20 into your passport before you even get started. :).

The AT pro is a very good machine if your going to be doing a lot of fresh water digging.
The Teknetics looks very capable and at a price point that is entry level (399) seems to be very good value for the money. Seems to have good depth to it and the coil is waterproof so the edge of ponds and lakes probably wouldn't be a problem. I even looked at videos of the AT pro with the larger coil and the Teknetics still seemed to do better with the stock coil.
The equinox is waterproof so it's like having 2 machines in 1. Over twice the price of the teknetics but if I bought the teknetics I would definitely be buying a 2nd waterproof machine like the AT pro.

I will definitely look into the equinox more. I'll see if I can find a equinox vas teknetics video.

It looks like the equinox would be a step down from the e trac no?

Equinox is so much faster, with target acquisition and identification that I would bet upon such outrunning the E-Trac.
E-Tracs learning curve is rather steep, programming is not common user friendly, weight is less than 3030 but heavy none the less.
As much as the E-Trac is a great machine, digging society is well divided into a love/hate relationship.
Speed is of the essence.
I'd rather cover a yard or site twice in opposite directions than comparatively crawl with the E-Trac in one.
The E-Trac is my arms and ears extension into history, and I shall keep it.
But for $900 bucks, my 4th machine will be the Equinox, 1/2 XP Deus price, waterproof, equal performance if not better due to XP's programming for specific grounds needed.

As Irons wrote about Ebad, I used Ebad for purchasing my first two machines, and sold them there as well.
Hope to hear your discoveries and about $20 Cuba.
Bring Dr's file on the metal staples you have in your stomach... or gold

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I forgot to add don't overlook used machines. MOST people who try this hobby never make it over the hump and end up selling their gear cheap on ebay.

The hump is the hardest part of the learning curve that all machines have. The first 100 hours is just getting to know it, the couple hundred after that consists of somewhat knowing the machine and making some good finds.
The hump is going from finding some good things to consistently finding good things. Most never make it.

"The metal detector is between your ears, grasshopper. The electronic thingy just shows you where to dig."

So true. I lost count of how many times I had to climb a tree to get mine out.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
2-16-17- (7)rs.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Misty, Pretty much sums it up here. Nothin' like a six hour swing, a thousand beeps, and five hundred squats and tri-ceps extensions, to keep ya interested!
You should really share some of your rev war finds with the group. They'd love it. I know I would! Mr. Musket ball...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
YO! That red one is a gem! The US a belt buckle? The other looks to be a button in amazing shape. I'd love to hear how you found em.

Ironpig

Silver Member
Silver Miner
YO! That red one is a gem! The US a belt buckle? The other looks to be a button in amazing shape. I'd love to hear how you found em.
The red one, affectionately called a "Bobbi dazzlah" by Gary Drayton (Oak Island Fame). Is a 71st Highlanders officers sleeve link. A glass center laid on silver back with gold banding, Center glass is embossed with a Rose and Thistle. THE KICKER !! What was this doing in "The South Redoubt" of West Point defenses during The American Revolution? Found it while hunting amongst a group of hunters back in the day. Four of us and four more other dudes who happen to be "Paid" hunters for some prominent collectors. (Disclaimer- I cannot disclose). I was a kid and felt damn lucky to get it amongst the blood hounds.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The red one, affectionately called a "Bobbi dazzlah" by Gary Drayton (Oak Island Fame). Is a 71st Highlanders officers sleeve link. A glass center laid on silver back with gold banding, Center glass is embossed with a Rose and Thistle. THE KICKER !! What was this doing in "The South Redoubt" of West Point defenses during The American Revolution? Found it while hunting amongst a group of hunters back in the day. Four of us and four more other dudes who happen to be "Paid" hunters for some prominent collectors. (Disclaimer- I cannot disclose). I was a kid and felt damn lucky to get it amongst the blood hounds.