• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

MetalMarkup.com Premium Comparison Site - Guide and Feedback Thread

MetalMarkup

Reaction score
Thanks to NickNdlf for sharing MetalMarkup.com to the forum. It compares gold/silver premiums at 70+ online dealers in USA + Canada.

Some feedback popped up in the original sub-thread. I'm starting a dedicated one here to prevent hijacking that thread. Log questions and feedback here. I'll keep a close eye and respond to all of it!

Very thorough site, wish they had 10s and kilos

Kilo/10oz: Click the "$1,000" button to show all items under $1,000. This will pop Kilo and 10oz to the top. Click the "All" button for the big boys (100 and 1,000oz Comex). Alternatively you can keyword search like Nick said.

kilo.PNG

Fork, just type ikilo bar n manually in the sesrch bar and they pop up.

Nathan, we need:
1. A platnum search.
2. ANDROID APP
3. Traditional GOLD/SILVER paper ratio.
4. PHYSICAL gold/silver and gold/platinum ratios with multi year charts like Kitco.
5. Average premium ratio of a product for fine tuning.

Platinum: Noted! :D
Android/iOS Apps: Web app download instructions for Android/iOS. Will be adding to app stores in time.

Android.png

Apple.png

Gold/Silver Paper Ratios: Can be found at the USA Debt Clock Site. Honestly it's pretty tough to beat their work on this.

Paper ratios.PNG

Physical Gold/Silver Data: Very needed!! Don't have historic logging set up yet, working on it. Will be logging daily REAL WORLD PHYSICAL data, and creating a "physical index". On the silver side potentially a sovereign index (comprised of major coins), a generic bullion index (rounds/bars). Once I get junk cleaned up, I could even do that. Opinions on this very welcomed.

Eventually I want to plug the data into TradingView so you can do chart analysis on Physical Gold/Silver, just like you currently do on the artificial paper price. A few steps to go there though.

Average Premium Ratio: Can you elaborate here? Do you mean similar to price logging, but instead for premium percentages only?

Keep the awesome feedback coming folks!

Last edited:

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Do offer military discounts , or possibly discounts to this forum membership?

MetalMarkup

Reaction score
Great Q southfork! MetalMarkup is a search engine, NOT a dealer!

Use MetalMarkup to search all online dealers at once (by premium), then click the link of your choosing to buy directly from that dealer. So it's not able to control or discount dealer pricing.

With that said, group buys (one time or recurring), may be something to incorporate in the future to help bring prices down for everyone.

Do offer military discounts , or possibly discounts to this forum membership?

Last edited:

MetalMarkup

Reaction score
Is there a way to show the seller along with the markup without clicking through?
It showed dealers onpage when it first launched and it was super overwhelming. There's already so much info flying at the user in a small space. I'm trying to keep things very minimal and clean. Yet powerful, (not easy! lol). Try it out like this for a bit, and please let me know if it still annoys you after a month or 2, ok?

Premium ratio is:

Actual premium % / Ave Premium for similar product

OK. So if 1oz Buffalo is 10% premium, and average 1oz Buffalo premium is 20%, then ratio is 1:2? Is this how you mean?

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
If you make a good, fast loading, accurate price ticker I’m willing to bet @Scorpio would put it up in place of the Krapco ticker. That is, if you don’t come in here thinking you’re going to change GIM for the free advertising.

Last edited:

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
It showed dealers onpage when it first launched and it was super overwhelming. There's already so much info flying at the user in a small space. I'm trying to keep things very minimal and clean. Yet powerful, (not easy! lol). Try it out like this for a bit, and please let me know if it still annoys you after a month or 2, ok?

OK. So if 1oz Buffalo is 10% premium, and average 1oz Buffalo premium is 20%, then ratio is 1:2? Is this how you mean?

It's a beta measure to indicate overall purchase value. Is one buying in a strong or weak market despite whatever is the price.

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting thread...

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I cant seem to find it on my android, looking in google play, any help? Im not that up on these app things, thanks in advnace

MetalMarkup

Reaction score
I cant seem to find it on my android, looking in google play, any help? Im not that up on these app things, thanks in advnace

@southfork Sorry! Didn't get notified here! As Nick says, NOT on app stores. Go to URL in browser. If wanting to download, follow pic instructions in original post when you're at the website in your browser. This will download the "web app" to your phone's home screen.

Will be adding to app stores, but I have a bunch of deeper backend stuff to clean up first. Will post in this thread once added (maybe within a month, give or take).

@nickndfl Hyperlinks now added to dealer list! :) Thanks guys!

1651586354410.png

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
MM, I purchased 3 kilos of silver from BOLD the other day. I found them by using your app. Do you get compensated from advertising or sell info?

MetalMarkup

Reaction score
MM, I purchased 3 kilos of silver from BOLD the other day. I found them by using your app. Do you get compensated from advertising or sell info?

Excellent Q. The site is CURRENTLY NOT monetized, I make no money from it in any way right now. Entire site is bankrolled by me, so your shares are greatly appreciated.

I'll be adding affiliate links for those dealers who offer them (Bold does not). It's time consuming, so my priority is building out a phenomenal tool for YOU, the user, before worrying about money. If the tool sucks, monetizing is pointless.

I'm open to allowing dealer promoted products (actual low premium coins/bars listed above the "organic" results). Kind of like Google has "Ads" above search results.

However. I will NEVER deploy:
-Stupid dealer onsite banner ads (IE: Dealer logo without product. Pointless)
-Google Text Ads/Interstitial (IE: Links to running shoes. Totally irrelevant to PMs)
-Any other spammy, service diminishing garbage. Everyone hates that stuff, and so do I.

The MetalMarkup tool was built to be highly functional. While it absolutely needs to make money, the method of doing so has to cause as little user annoyance as possible. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
A direct link to the mints and refiners such as Perth and Englehard could be useful when researching a purchase if that is your target. Kind of a one stop data base that covers several angles.

MetalMarkup

Reaction score
Doesnt show bold precious metals, they have the lowest price on kilos ive seen

@southfork Bold is certainly among the best Kilo. It's on MetalMarkup but their site went haywire this week, causing a few gaps.

If you go to Bold and search "silver bars/rounds" and filter by "Premium Low To High", the "Out Of Stock" filter is broken. This is affecting MetalMarkup's ability to pull only the lowest IN STOCK items.

Working on a workaround (if Bold doesn't fix it first).

Scanning 70 dealers among site updates, bugs, haphazard filters, 17k+ rotating SKU's, product availability, and market pricing is NOT easy. Need eyes in the back of your head. I'm shoring up the holes though with your helpful comments. Keep them coming guys! Thanks!

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
If you make a good, fast loading, accurate price ticker I’m willing to bet @Scorpio would put it up in place of the Krapco ticker. That is, if you don’t come in here thinking you’re going to change GIM for the free advertising.
ACCURATE is the term we struggle with here.
Nice to make a new member.
"WELCOME"

MetalMarkup

Reaction score
ACCURATE is the term we struggle with here.
Nice to make a new member.
"WELCOME"

Thanks for the hospitality @Goldbrix! On the topic of "accuracy" and "spot price", check out this data set I posted for Reddit a few months back.

This is the spot price shown on each dealer's site during closed weekend hours (IE: Spot isn't fluctuating). Spot price, NOT product prices. The little pagetop or footer banner for actual silver prices on a dealer site.

There's a 1.1% variance in the baseline spot price between dealers due to data sources, etc. For spot price itself!

This is another reason MetalMarkup is so helpful. I compare all dealer products to 1 single spot price for a uniform premium calculation. The true price.

Otherwise, a bar at "$2 over spot" might look good, but if the dealer uses an 'inflated' spot price, then in reality the bar could actually be $2.24 over spot. The nuances are immense in the physical market.

1652029243252.png

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Wish you could make this live updating, what time of day does this update??

Last edited:

MetalMarkup

Reaction score
Wish you could make this live updating, what time of day does this update??
@southfork Current updates are once per 24hr.

Crawlers run at 5am EST, processing of 17,000+ SKU's happens on backend and ultimately publishes live to site at 8am EST. So the snapshot you see live is from 5am EST.

I hear you on update speed, one step at a time. Many of these crawlers still routinely go haywire. If I ramped up the interval, the whole thing would implode in spectacular fashion. I'm working thru a large backend workload right now (efficiency, reliability, faster processing, faster new SKU adding, etc).

It will take some time. While live updates will never happen. Maybe a strategic 12hr or best case 6-8hr time will eventually happen. I have usage stats to updates can be catered toward busy hours. A manual update is also being considered for extreme volatility moves. Will take time though.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
So far I am referencing my old online suppliers, but MM has provided new ones whom I made purchases. MM has a vast database of suppliers that I never heard of, but took a chance. So far so good

That can be monetized plus add in a trusted ratings system.

Right now I am planning purchaes from 2 additional new MM suppliers. I think they have limit 1 price leaders to attract new business. I am down for it and hope they can keep the scammers to a minimum.

Fatboy

Site Supporter
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think they have limit 1 price leaders to attract new business. I am down for it and hope they can keep the scammers to a minimum.
I saw one seller there, clicked on it and said.... NOPE!

I (and I bet all here) respect you for your courage on the adventure you are about to embark upon and wish you luck as you go forward. Next year at this time, be sure to let us know if that one ounce was worth the few $$ you saved over what other sellers offer it at who don't later hassle you or sell your personal information. :)

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
BOLD has the lowest premium kilo silver bars online. Never hear of them, but mine arrived today only to be lost overboard in a hurricane this evening.