• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Military collectables ,show us what you got or tell us your stories!

Ironpig

"Bonnie Blue Flag" Don Troiani
Silver Miner
Ive been collecting Military collectables for 40 years now.
When I was thirteen we were introduced to "digging" by the renowned Wendell Lang Jr.
He was well known in the civil war collecting arena. He had discovered an area to dig on our island that had coastal defenses.
We dug up countless WW 2 items and I was hooked.

Ironpig

Silver Miner
Well if I were a betting man, you may not be able to say your BIG artillery was fired at Paul Revere!
Paul Revere was the head of artillery during the Penobscot Expedition. His men erected the redoubt where this 6lber was recovered. It is quite possible he may have been standing nearby!!!
:winks2:

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I got memories....
I don't share them.
Let's see:

I once found an M-16 leaning against a tree in a vacated bivouac site.

I found a packed, undeployed reserve parachute.

Myriad unexpended smoke grenades and ammo.

Web-gear, kevlar helmets, bayonets, and ammo cans galore.

The NG company commander and the E-1 who lost his rifle were very grateful when I returned it.

The others were barter items and party favors.

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Well if I were a betting man, you may not be able to say your BIG artillery was fired at Paul Revere!
Paul Revere was the head of artillery during the Penobscot Expedition. His men erected the redoubt where this 6lber was recovered. It is quite possible he may have been standing nearby!!!
:winks2:
I do have a few smaller pieces....cluster bomb, Willie Pete, VX gas,HE , illuminate ,shrapnel or vaporize them...technology is great isn't it?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Here is a 6lb cannon ball stamped with British broad arrow. Recovered on Nautilus Island.
This shot was fired from the Castine, Maine Harbor entrance during The Penobscot Expedition.
View attachment 199595
What the pictures just cant convey, is the density these things have!
I was lucky enough to be able to see some of ironpig's collection including some cannonballs.

Ironpig

Silver Miner
I do have a few smaller pieces....cluster bomb, Willie Pete, VX gas,HE , illuminate ,shrapnel or vaporize them...technology is great isn't it? View attachment 199641 View attachment 199642 View attachment 199643 View attachment 199644
Quite the collection! It actually reminds me of my friend Wendells Civil war collection of that eras aryillery. Every thing you could imagine set up in a personal museum in his basement including a 12lb field piece in his backyard. He mentioned a time when he discover one his live rounds he had dug up began leaking what he said was tantamount to nitro glycerin. He had to gingerly load it into his car and drop it off the nearest bridge into a river. True or not, it was an exciting story as a kid!

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have a specially trained crew that does that for me, the couple bowls of rice I could afford, it's was the shipping that got prohibitive. View attachment 199648
Last known picture of the Nguyen family. This picture was in the camera that was retrieved from the skull of the photographer.

Ironpig

Silver Miner
B 24 Witchcraft left front l.jpg

I had the rare opportunity to board this B-24 Liberator named Witchcraft.
It was an amazing expirience to say the least.
We entered from the rear for a tour.
As we passed into the bomb bay, the doors were open and you could see the pavement below about three feet away. Moving through the bay, I made a comment about the bomb bay doors being open when an older gentleman behind me spoke up and said " Imagine being 10,000 feet in the air with them open".
He began to tell me a story of himself and two other crewmen having to rid the craft of a 500lb bomb that didnt realease during their practice runs they had performed earlier in the day.
What a rare opportunity I thought, as my brother and I listened excitedly. Here we were touring a B-24 and now we are getting a true account of action aboard an aircraft just like this one.
He explained that since the bomb didn't release they couldn't land or it could come free destroying everything in the process. So you must understand the "cat walk" in the bay was about a foot wide with panels about three feet wide extending up to the (ceiling) where they were about three feet apart on either side. These panels held the bombs in place.
I believe they held three on each side.
The man explained they had to position themselves in such a way to reach around this panel an lift the bomb off the rack. As he explained this I pictured myself 10, 000 feet in the air having to reach around this panel. What a harrowing feat it must have been.
It seemed impossible. They were successful in jetisoning the bomb from the rack and landed the aircraft safetly. I was really left in awe because as much as I loved the idea of just being allowed to step foot on such a piece of history, I never though I'd meet a former crew member of a B-24 and hear such a compelling story.
We thanked the man and continued moving through the aircraft while the man pointed this and that out until we exited. It was so fascinating!
The juxtaposition of an A-10 Warthog siting across from this was quite the site as well.

kiffertom

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I still have some shrapnel in my left knee if that counts.
that counts more than anything else! thanks for your service!

vichris

Seeker
Seeker

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I got to climb all over the Black Hawk B-17. I was amazed to see the "path" through the middle of the bomb bay was only about 6" wide!! HAH!! After I typed up this whole post, I found a picture of the tweeny little "floor".

Can you imagine having to go in there with the bomb bay doors open and have to futz around with a bomb to get it to drop... all the while standing in a tremendous -40F wind on a fargin rain gutter at 25,000 feet.

1611668595520.png

The bomb bay was also rather small. No bigger than a fair-sized closet.

And the pilot's chair was... wooden. Something I never realized until I got in the plane was that a B-17 was two storeys tall; the bombardier/nose gunner sat under the pilot/copilot.

The walls of the plane would not stop a .22 bullet. You could plunge your pocketknife through them.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++