• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Millennial Dads Have Terrible DIY Skills

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
True for me...

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019...ls-half-dont-own-stepladder-or-cordless-drill

Millennial Dads Have Terrible DIY Skills; Half Don't Own A Stepladder Or Cordless Drill

Tyler Durden
Sat, 06/08/2019

When it comes to simple tasks like changing tires, unclogging toilets or resetting a tripped circuit breaker, millennial dads are terrible compared to their own fathers, according to new research.

A poll of 1,000 millennial dads and 1,000 baby boomer dads conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Alarm.com reveals that the younger generation prefers to call in the professionals when it comes to a range of DIY tasks ranging from basic plumbing to assembling furniture.
Via
alarm.com

What's more, millennial dads are less likely to own ordinary house tools that older dads would consider essential. Just 48% of millennial dads say they don't own a ladder, while 46% don't own a cordless drill. 38% don't own a set of screwdrivers, while 32% don't own a hammer (vs 93% of baby boomer dads).

We wonder how many of them own and know how to use guns?
Millennials, in their defense, say that modern technology such as smart locks and doorbell cameras require more expertise than installing their old-school equivalents.

"Hi-tech upgrades like smart home technology require professional support; especially safety and security upgrades. Even the handiest Dads see the value of partnering with a professional service provider on an important project like a smart home security system," said Anne Ferguson, VP of marketing at Alarm.com.

One thing both millennial and boomer dads agree on; the goal posts have been moved - and the definition of 'handiness' has changed.

According to Alarm.com, "two-thirds of Boomer Dads admitted that Millennial Dads may have the edge when it comes to tech tasks around the home."

"While quick to master new tools like apps and mobile technology, today's time-pressed Dads are also faster to outsource time-consuming home maintenance to professionals who have the tools and training to get the job done right. It's a handy trade-off that enables modern Dads to spend more time with the people they love," said Ferguson.

Trade school kids, trade school...

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
True for me...

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019...ls-half-dont-own-stepladder-or-cordless-drill

Millennial Dads Have Terrible DIY Skills; Half Don't Own A Stepladder Or Cordless Drill

Tyler Durden
Sat, 06/08/2019

When it comes to simple tasks like changing tires, unclogging toilets or resetting a tripped circuit breaker, millennial dads are terrible compared to their own fathers, according to new research.

A poll of 1,000 millennial dads and 1,000 baby boomer dads conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Alarm.com reveals that the younger generation prefers to call in the professionals when it comes to a range of DIY tasks ranging from basic plumbing to assembling furniture.
Via
alarm.com

What's more, millennial dads are less likely to own ordinary house tools that older dads would consider essential. Just 48% of millennial dads say they don't own a ladder, while 46% don't own a cordless drill. 38% don't own a set of screwdrivers, while 32% don't own a hammer (vs 93% of baby boomer dads).

]

Pathetic. I'm betting every one of these "guys" has at least one transgender child ...

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Can't help myself

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
...that the younger generation prefers to call in the professionals...
The poll is stupid and useless when it uses "prefers" to have others do the work instead of "is able to" do the jobs. The poll is useless, but I have to wonder who will not reset their breaker, unplug their toilet, or change their tire when necessary?! I have done all those, and there is NO WAY I would pay a union guy to do stupid simple work for me.

Oh, and for jump starts... Every decent person with cables will help out. Only a despicable asshole would demand money for a jump start. I rarely carry cables anymore, but for decades I did have a good set of 4 gauge in my trunk, just to help others.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I believe Home Depot has put out tutorials for the clueless millennial on how to use a hammer, screwdriver & how to read a tape measure. Really sad.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Maybe those boomers should have taught their kids how to fix things. I'm 10x better at fixing things than my dad, but he spent the time showing me how to do the things he knew how to do.

With youtube videos I don't know how people cant fix just about anything.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The poll is stupid and useless when it uses "prefers" to have others do the work instead of "is able to" do the jobs. The poll is useless, but I have to wonder who will not reset their breaker, unplug their toilet, or change their tire when necessary?! I have done all those, and there is NO WAY I would pay a union guy to do stupid simple work for me.

Oh, and for jump starts... Every decent person with cables will help out. Only a despicable asshole would demand money for a jump start. I rarely carry cables anymore, but for decades I did have a good set of 4 gauge in my trunk, just to help others.
I drive a 4x4. From time to time I see people stuck in the mud or in a ditch. A $20 bill gets you pulled out right now otherwise wait on a wrecker. A lot of people get mad when they have to pay for their mistakes. If ya get mad you stay stuck. I guess I'm an asshole...

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Maybe those boomers should have taught their kids how to fix things. I'm 10x better at fixing things than my dad, but he spent the time showing me how to do the things he knew how to do.

With youtube videos I don't know how people cant fix just about anything.
He taught you how to learn to fix things.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I drive a 4x4. From time to time I see people stuck in the mud or in a ditch. A $20 bill gets you pulled out right now otherwise wait on a wrecker. A lot of people get mad when they have to pay for their mistakes. If ya get mad you stay stuck. I guess I'm an asshole...
I guess so.:don't    know2:

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I still fix things for my dad.

Both my grandfathers were carpenters and jacks of all trades.

Must have skipped a generation.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
They didn’t teach me how to be handy at all in school and my parents were too busy working their 9-5 low paying jobs to give me much info. I can change a battery and a light, check the oil, and jumpstart a car and I’m confident I could figure out how to change a tire if I YouTubed it.

The situation is even worse for the children of people my age. My cousin has a daughter and she can’t even flip a grilled cheese sandwich properly. Her daughter is someone you could talk into buying blinker fluid. I can already feel her future struggles. But I blame it on her parents.

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
When I went through high school in the 60s, there were all sorts of shop classes: Wood, electric, and auto were the main ones. I took welding shop, and while not a good welder, the basic knowledge has been extremely useful ever since. Since that time, the high schools I'm familiar with have dropped most or all of these classes. Pretty dumb, IMO. I think the home ec classes have disappeared, too, as well as basic money management.

SilverBuyer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
When I went through high school in the 60s, there were all sorts of shop classes: Wood, electric, and auto were the main ones. I took welding shop, and while not a good welder, the basic knowledge has been extremely useful ever since. Since that time, the high schools I'm familiar with have dropped most or all of these classes. Pretty dumb, IMO. I think the home ec classes have disappeared, too, as well as basic money management.
Exactly they don't teach you fuck all now (probably on purpose too). What would be more important than a money management class that explains interest rates, returns on investments, diversification, ect. ? Shop classes as well, you know stuff that may actually be useful for people in there everyday life. I swear the corporations/gov want to keep the people stupid and useless because there is no way anyone with an ounce of intelligence can think their current curriculum makes sense.

Nah lets make the revisionist government "history" a mandatory class. (and this is coming from a history buff, but cmon now most people need to learn financial basics over learning history)

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The shop classes are making a come back. There is a votec school in the county that is open to all thanks to school choice. Kiwanis sponsored house building for the high schools but it became unprofitable.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The shop classes are making a come back. There is a votec school in the county that is open to all thanks to school choice. Kiwanis sponsored house building for the high schools but it became unprofitable.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Doesn't look like they know anything about making intuitive- or even understandable bar charts either. And their graphics suck too. Looks like they have just figured out a way to lie without actually lying.

So now the details of their polling methods and results are automatically suspect too. Doesn't really matter though if their posted results are indecipherable.

WTF are they going on about?

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My grandpa could fix anything and build anything. My dad could hardly change a light bulb or check the oil in his car. I took one year of wood shop and one year of metal shop in Junior High and worked as a mechanic for 21 years. I can do auto body work and painting, carpentry, welding, plumbing and electrical too.
The ruling class doesn't want us to be able to fix things. They want us dependent on a steady stream of new, financed vehicles that fail when the bankers quit collecting interest on them.

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Does anyone want to start a thread about millinials women that know how to cook, clean, and take care of children?
Personally, I don't know any. I am sure there are some, but I don't know any, especially those millinials that are my kin.

Last edited:

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
My grandpa could fix anything and build anything. My dad could hardly change a light bulb or check the oil in his car. I took one year of wood shop and one year of metal shop in Junior High and worked as a mechanic for 21 years. I can do auto body work and painting, carpentry, welding, plumbing and electrical too.
The ruling class doesn't want us to be able to fix things. They want us dependent on a steady stream of new, financed vehicles that fail when the bankers quit collecting interest on them.
In my middle school they taught Chinese history. I can tell you all about it lol.

I wish they taught something practical.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
If your income is high enough, you can hire some Bubba to fix that breaker or tow you out of a ditch. One thing I've noticed though is that newer stuff doesn't break down near as much as the older stuff did, modern cars seem bullet proof if you change the oil and check the tires. I don't think I've changed a tire in 30 years...

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
But I'm an asshole that doesn't get stuck....
LOL, I can id with this. Driving safely in winter weather requires a certain skill set that not all folks can constantly successfully negotiate. I drove a rear wheel drive pickup this last winter, thru lots of snow. No problem, course, I stay out of anything I believe I cannot negotiate with that type of drive, but it didn't stop me from getting anywhere I wanted to get.

Last edited:

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Seems some sort of handyman service would be a very profitable occupation for an ambitious young man.....

mayhem

Oh my, Oh my.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Does anyone want to start a thread about millinials women that know how to cook, clean, and take care of children?
Personally, I don't know any. I am sure there are some, but I don't know any, especially those millinials that are my kin.
Thirty plus years ago when I had been single for 12 years my niece asked me why I wasn't married. She was a early woman's libber and I told her in jest that I haven't found a woman who had the attributes you outlined above. She told me she knew one so I was forced to `tell her to fix me up. I can stand to be with anyone for a few hours over dinner. That was 30 years ago and that blind date and I are still together. Best woman I've ever met.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I did some work for a dentist. He was in his mid to late 30's which would have made him about my age. Went to his house on a Monday morning and he asked me if I could install a window unit A/C. Said he and his brother spent some time on it over the weekend but just couldn't get it in the opening. Of course I agreed to take a shot at it. He walked me around to the outside of the house where the unit and a step ladder was setting just under the window they were trying to attempt to put it in. For what I know about dentistry, I guess he was a good dentist but definitely lacked on the common sense.

mayhem

Oh my, Oh my.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Seems some sort of handyman service would be a very profitable occupation for an ambitious young man.....
I did that when I was 52 and tired of running a company. I eventually brought on a 18 yr old who was interested in learning. I gave him the business when I retired at 62 and he is still going strong.

Handyman is a good trade but you need all the right tools to do it properly. That way you don't have to give your time away for cheap. Best friend is a solo interior painter. He only does the small condo business but still makes a grand a week that is mostly under the table, and takes off when he pleases.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein
The Art of Manliness: 100 skills a man should know. https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/100-skills-every-man-should-know/