• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Moody Blues' Ray Thomas Dead at 76 - Our Tribute

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Moody Blues singer Ray Thomas dies at 76
The musician, who played the flute solo on one of the band’s biggest hits, Nights in White Satin, had suffered from prostate cancer

Ray Thomas (bottom right) and other members of the Moody Blues.
Photograph: Reuters Press Association
Sun 7 Jan ‘18 12.49 ESTLast modified on Sun 7 Jan ‘18 19.03 EST

The Moody Blues star Ray Thomas has died at the age of 76. The flautist and vocalist died suddenly on Thursday, his record label said.

Cherry Red Records and Esoteric Recordings said in a statement: “We are deeply shocked by his passing and will miss his warmth, humour and kindness. It was a privilege to have known and worked with him and our thoughts are with his family and his wife, Lee, at this sad time.”

In 2014 Thomas revealed on his website that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He said he had received his diagnosis in 2013.

“My cancer was inoperable but I have a fantastic doctor who immediately started me on a new treatment that has had 90% success rate,” he wrote. “The cancer is being held in remission but I’ll be receiving this treatment for the rest of my life.”

Born in Stourport-on-Severn on 29 December 1941, Thomas started out in blues and soul groups in the 1960s and later formed the Moody Blues alongside Mike Pinder, Denny Laine, Graeme Edge and Clint Warwick.

Although the band’s roots lay in the blues, their 1964 hit Go Now was a foretaste of the lush, orchestral sound that came to be called progressive rock.

Their 1967 album Days of Future Passed is a prog-rock landmark, and Thomas’s flute solo on the single Nights in White Satin one of its defining moments.

Thomas wrote several songs for the band, including the trippy Legend of a Mind and Veteran Cosmic Rocker.

Thomas also enjoyed solo success with the albums From Mighty Oaks and Hopes Wishes & Dreams. The Moody Blues, including Thomas, were to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
THE MOODY BLUES -- In Search of the Lost Chord -- 1968.wmv
Esferadevidro

Published on May 29, 2012
THE MOODY BLUES -- In Search of the Lost Chord -- 1968(Deluxe Edition 2006)

Disc 1

In Search Of The Lost Chord 00:01

1-1 Departure
1-2 Ride My See-Saw
1-3 Dr. Livingstone, I Presume
1-4 House Of Four Doors (Part 1)
1-5 Legend Of A Mind
1-6 House Of Four Doors (Part 2)
1-7 Voices In The Sky
1-8 The Best Way To Travel
1-9 Visions Of Paradise
1-10 The Actor
1-11 The Word
1-12 Om

Disc 2

Alternate Versions & Out-Takes 42:17

2-1 Departure (Alternate Mix)
2-2 The Best Way To Travel (Additional Vocal Mix)
2-3 Legend Of A Mind (Alternate Mix)
2-4 Visions Of Paradise (Instrumental Version)
2-5 What Am I Doing Here? (Original Version)
2-6 The Word (Mellotron Mix)
2-7 Om (Extended Version)
2-8 A Simple Game (Justin Hayward Vocal Mix) - 1968 Studio Recording
2-9 King And Queen - BBC 'Top Gear' Sessions
2-10 Doctor Livingstone I Presume
2-11 Voices In The Sky
2-12 Thinking Is The Best Way To Travel
2-13 Ride My See Saw - BBC 'Afternoon Pop Show' Session
2-14 Tuesday Afternoon - 1968 Single 'B' Side
2-15 A Simple Game

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Strange and hard to believe how old these rockers are. I guess 76 is a pretty normal age to kick the bucket.

Thanks for the music Ray.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Strange and hard to believe how old these rockers are. I guess 76 is a pretty normal age to kick the bucket.

Thanks for the music Ray.
I know, I saw the Moody Blues in San Antonio in I think it was 1972, ticket were $3, $4, and $5. They put on a great show - I remember my ears ringing for days.

76 is old for rock stars - too much hard partying.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Great band! I saw them (I think, things were fuzzy back then) in Louisville in about 74.

upload_2018-1-14_23-37-58.jpeg