• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

More dead people thread

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Survivor
Reaction score

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Last edited:

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Being from Albuquerque NM my heart swells with pride for the Unser family. Its a sad day when a legend like Al Sr. passes. My own father went to school with Jerry and Bobby Unser. God bless the Unser family. RIP Big Al.

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Al Sr's final win at Indy. His son Al Unser Jr would go on to win the Indy 500 2 times. What a great racing family.

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Hey he was a Monkey...

Many fond memories. RIP Buddy.

Monkees singer-songwriter Michael Nesmith dies at 78​

The Monkees exploded in popularity in the 1960s with hits such as "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "Valleri."
Mike Nesmith performing on stage at Roundhouse Camden in London on April 28, 1974.

Mike Nesmith performing on stage at Roundhouse Camden in London on April 28, 1974.Gus Stewart / Redferns

Dec. 10, 2021, 11:38 AM MST / Updated Dec. 10, 2021, 2:37 PM MST
By Antonio Planas and Diana Dasrath

Monkees singer and guitarist Michael Nesmith, whose band exploded in popularity in the 1960s, has died, his manager said Friday.
He died at his home in Carmel Valley, Calif. Nesmith was 78.

"It is with deep sadness that I mark the passing of Michael Nesmith. We shared many travels and projects together over the course of 30 years, which culminated in a Monkees farewell tour that wrapped up only a few weeks ago," Andrew Sandoval said on Twitter.

The Monkees grew in popularity after the four-person group was in a TV show "The Monkees" about a rock 'n' roll band. The comedy debuted on NBC in 1966. Nesmith was easily recognizable on the small screen because of a trademark wool cap.

Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith of The Monkees.

Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith of The Monkees.NBC

The band's hits included "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville," "I'm a Believer," "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "Valleri."
The group split in 1971. In 2012, after band member Davy Jones passed away, the three surviving members of the group reunited.
Although other members of the group had participated in reunion tours, Nesmith remained mostly out of the fold.

Nesmith said back then of the reunion: "I never really left. It is a part of my youth that is always active in my thought and part of my overall work as an artist. It stays in a special place. But like things in the past it fades in and out in relevance to activities that are current. Getting together with old friends and acquaintances can be very stimulating and fun and even inspiring to me. We did some good work together and I am always interested in the right time and the right place to reconnect and play."

The Monkees perform, including, left to right, Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork.

The Monkees, from left to right: Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork.NBC

Sandoval also said Friday of Nesmith's passing, “I am positive the brilliance he captured will resonate and offer the love and light towards which he always moved. Nez expressed the highest part of his being through his voice. And you could get no closer to him then through knowing his work. May all those who loved him feel his comfort at this time — just listen and he will be there for you.”

Sandoval then quoted the talented musician’s own lyrics from “I'll Remember You.”

Thank you for the times you gave me, thank you for the tears you saved me, please take this song as my thanks to you.”

Nesmith’s career after the Monkees included veering into country rock. He also developed a multimedia company. The company launched a weekly music video series that was purchased by Warner Cable and later transformed into MTV in the 1980s.

With Nesmith's death Micky Dolenz is now the only surviving member of the pop band.

He said in a statement Friday: "I’m heartbroken. I’ve lost a dear friend and partner. I’m so grateful that we could spend the last couple of months together doing what we loved best — singing, laughing, and doing shtick. I’ll miss it all so much. Especially the shtick. Rest in peace, Nez."
Dolenz ended the statement, "All my love, Mick."

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Nesmith figured heavy in P.J. O'Rourke's writings on automobiles...seems, post-Monkees, he was a serious off-road racer. O'Rourke, who apparently was a friend, followed Nesmith in a Baja 500 race using a then-new Jeep Cherokee XJ, sponsored by AMC-Renault.

To read O'Rourke's accounts, it didn't go well. In the end, the Jeep broken, their chase team around...P.J suggested they blow Mexico and get back to San Diego.

But, what to do about the Cherokee?

Nesmith: "Let's flip it over...and burn it."

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

The Monkees exploded in popularity in the 1960s with hits such as "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "Valleri."
Mike Nesmith performing on stage at Roundhouse Camden in London on April 28, 1974.

Mike Nesmith performing on stage at Roundhouse Camden in London on April 28, 1974.Gus Stewart / Redferns

Monkees singer and guitarist Michael Nesmith, whose band exploded in popularity in the 1960s, has died, his manager said Friday.

"It is with deep sadness that I mark the passing of Michael Nesmith. We shared many travels and projects together over the course of 30 years, which culminated in a Monkees farewell tour that wrapped up only a few weeks ago," Andrew Sandoval said on Twitter.

The Monkees grew in popularity after the four-person group was in a TV show "The Monkees" about a rock 'n' roll band. The comedy debuted on NBC in 1966. Nesmith was easily recognizable on the small screen because of a trademark wool cap.

The band's hits included "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville," "I'm a Believer," "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "Valleri."
The group split in 1971. In 2012, after band member Davy Jones passed away, the three surviving members of the group reunited.
Although other members of the group had participated in reunion tours, Nesmith remained mostly out of the fold.

Nesmith said back then of the reunion: "I never really left. It is a part of my youth that is always active in my thought and part of my overall work as an artist. It stays in a special place. But like things in the past it fades in and out in relevance to activities that are current. Getting together with old friends and acquaintances can be very stimulating and fun and even inspiring to me. We did some good work together and I am always interested in the right time and the right place to reconnect and play."

The Monkees perform, including, left to right, Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork.

The Monkees, from left to right: Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork.NBC

Sandoval also said Friday of Nesmith's passing, “I am positive the brilliance he captured will resonate and offer the love and light towards which he always moved. Nez expressed the highest part of his being through his voice. And you could get no closer to him then through knowing his work. May all those who loved him feel his comfort at this time — just listen and he will be there for you.”

Sandoval then quoted the talented musician’s own lyrics from “I'll Remember You.”

Thank you for the times you gave me, thank you for the tears you saved me, please take this song as my thanks to you.”

Nesmith’s career after the Monkees included veering into country rock. He also developed a multimedia company. The company launched a weekly music video series that was purchased by Warner Cable and later transformed into MTV in the 1980s.

With Nesmith's death Micky Dolenz is now the only surviving member of the pop band.

He said in a statement Friday: "I’m heartbroken. I’ve lost a dear friend and partner. I’m so grateful that we could spend the last couple of months together doing what we loved best — singing, laughing, and doing shtick. I’ll miss it all so much. Especially the shtick. Rest in peace, Nez."

I think his mother invented or had a hand in inventing the "yellow sticky notes" for 3M...IIRC

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I think his mother invented or had a hand in inventing the "yellow sticky notes" for 3M...IIRC
Yes.

His mother was also successful that way, IIRC.

Interesting, how these things follow genetic/familial connections.

Kinda like...how all people are equal; some more so than others.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
She invented Liquid Paper.
(Correction fluid for typewriters - you younger kids will need to look it up)

How do you know when a blonde has been using your computer?

There is white-out on the screen. ;)

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

...and then there was one...

RIP Michael and thank you for the great music and entertainment you and the boys gave us!

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good times, thanks Mike.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Mike was always my least favorite Monkey, when I was a kid. I like Mickey and Davy better, Pete too, mostly because of their personalities. But, Mike might have been the most talented.

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Mike was always my least favorite Monkey, when I was a kid. I like Mickey and Davy better, Pete too, mostly because of their personalities. But, Mike might have been the most talented.
They were all funny, not sure about the talent levels of any of them but they sure had a hell of a run for a group that started out as a comedy show

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
They were all funny, not sure about the talent levels of any of them but they sure had a hell of a run for a group that started out as a comedy show
Mike was a decent songwriter. For instance, he wrote ‘Different Drum’ and gave it to Linda Ronstadt. Good song, she made a hit out of it. Mike wanted to use it for The Monkeys, but their producers thought it didn’t fit the group.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
How do you know when a blonde has been using your computer?

There is white-out on the screen. ;)
Oh, gosh... I wish I had the guts to print out my favorite blonde jokes... ;)

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Your are in Freekin' Europe whaat do you have to fear from an American message board ?

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Your are in Freekin' Europe whaat do you have to fear from an American message board ?
... offending blondes who don't deserve it... but they're funny...
It could have been "brunettes" or "ditzes" or "sluts", but the "tradition" is "blondes"...

I'll give you my "worst"...

What do you call an upside-down blonde?
- A brunette with bad breath...

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

Was referring to the liquid paper that Nesmith’s mother invented. The blond was supposed to be the literary device

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
RIP the 100 people feared dead at the candle factory decimated by a tornado in Kentucky yesterday.

And the mass casualty at the Alabama nursing home hit by same storm - don’t even have the count yet

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I wonder about what Archbishop Tutu would think about all the humanitarian “progress” his country had made in the past thirty or so years. I mean, all the murder of the Boers and the stealing of their farmland and such. I wonder if he would approve.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I wonder about what Archbishop Tutu would think about all the humanitarian “progress” his country had made in the past thirty or so years. I mean, all the murder of the Boers and the stealing of their farmland and such. I wonder if he would approve.
I suspect he did; and also that he knew it was not a view that would be accepted by most civilized people.

I don't remember examples, but my memories of my reactions, as the South African Marxist Revolution went forward...was that the mask slipped. We all saw it. Most liberals chose to ignore it and then forget it happened; but those of us not committed to our own Narratives, did a disgusting yawn. Yeah...under the priest's frock, he's just one more bloodthirsty Zulu.

So, by disappearing, he managed to let the myth grow and overshadow his warts.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
so, satan died and no one really knows?

just give it some time

look for the smoke

:weed:

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Too late to ask him now.
But it seems every time he spoke somebody wrote about it. I'd say religion took a back seat on the topic.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
I still ask is he or isn't he? She seemed to be reading something........

Anonymous 12/26/21 (Sun) 04:37:069f3c80 (5) No.15256491 >>15256596 >>15256617 >>15256871 >>15256964

File (hide): dafd4291d487943⋯.png (1.29 MB, 1469x2048, 1469:2048, Screenshot_20211226_013305.png) (h) (u)

ITV announces death of Pope in Christmas blunder

https://www.rt.com/uk/544425-itv-announces-death-pope/

ITV News presenter Kylie Pentelow mistakenly announced the death of 85-year-old Pope Francis during a segment on his Christmas Day address.

“The Pope’s festive address focused on his prayers for the pandemic to come to an end. He said vaccines should be made available to those most in need,” Pentelow reported on Saturday evening, before adding, “His death was announced… uh, excuse me.”

A camera pan to Pentelow showed the presenter looking very uncomfortable as the segment moved on.

The mistake was ridiculed on social media, though it was also met with understanding. BBC broadcaster Scott Bryan tweeted, “Someone get this newsreader a drink STAT. We all make mistakes.”

“Spare a thought for everyone working the Christmas shift today,” another person wrote, while one former broadcaster revealed what may have been the source of the slip-up.

“When I worked at ITN news we had to do practice runs for announcing the Queen’s death,” she said. “We had all the right obits ready but all the names were replaced with Mrs Brown to avoid mistakes like this.”

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I still ask is he or isn't he? She seemed to be reading something........
Remember the Chinese cabin crew of that aircraft? Wei Tu Low; Bang Ding Ow.

Someone may have deliberately slipped that in, to destroy this woman's career.

Or maybe just a practical joke, not intended to get anyone fired.