• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Anyone here subscribe? If so, how do you apply the recommendations to your portfolio?

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I looked that one over and took a pass. You can get a lot of access to information on Seeking Alpha; there are a few other subscription options that you can find and link to through that site. I don't pay for anything; there is a lot of free info on SA and even Yahoo Finance.

TomD

Let's Go Branden!
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I subscribed to MF in the early 2000's and got a couple of good picks along with a few really bad ones. They were big on Wells Fargo Bank, which I followed with what was big money to me at the time but it was a dog.

My best pick of the early 2000's was gold and silver bullion which was not recommended by MF.

I've found that I've at least as good as MF with picks by considering a combo of dividend history, the analysists opinions, a stable history and my knowledge of the company. My self managed account is mostly companies that I've held for many years, pay 3%-4% dividends and are worth a significant multiple of what I paid. My main problem now is I'd like to trade a couple of them but the capitol gains would be significant.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
They've been really negative on some of the meme stocks. To the point of being laughable. I wouldn't trust them anymore at all.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I jumped in a few weeks ago and my portfolio (23 positions) is up 20%. MF picks make up about 75% of my portfolio.

So far it has more than paid for the $99 investment. I'm happy with the results, and I have confidence in the investments.

I will say that I steer clear of any recommended investment that is a household name (and they do recommend a few). I prefer to invest in those that are not yet household names, or are at least destined to become well known in B2B circles. Household name stocks tend to get hyped way up by retail investors -- far above their actual value.

I also avoid investing in any company to which I object at a moral level (such as entertainment stocks). Don't want anything to do with perversion even if it is profitable.

The good news is that I bailed on PSLV with a 20% loss, and now it has been made up (yes, I know... for now).

The other part of my portfolio is Uranium stocks and Crypto/DeFi plays. These are working well right now also.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I might be mistaken, but I'd wager that following them would have resulted in plenty of losses... Methinks that they survive on "hype"... jmho...

I'd like to see a "chart of their historical advising results"... UN-EDITED...

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
SeekingAlpha is my go to source for investing
I rely heavily on Seeking Alpha as well. Good interface to get news and info on your selected watchlists.
Yahoo Finance has a good interface for researching individual stocks and funds, but their news articles are weak.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I upgraded my Fool account today to the Rule Breakers / Stock Advisor combo ($300/year). In the last month I have made significant gains on their recommendations, so the $200 upgrade was a no-brainer. This now will give me 2 more recommendations per month of stocks with much smaller market cap.

Glad I made the investment in this service. Paid for itself in minutes.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
More power to you if it works.

If it REALLY works, try some short term out of the money options if you feel like gambling.

Perhaps the gains in those small caps are only due to the "pumping" by that website... Doesn't take much to make a small cap move...

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
More power to you if it works.

If it REALLY works, try some short term out of the money options if you feel like gambling.

Perhaps the gains in those small caps are only due to the "pumping" by that website... Doesn't take much to make a small cap move...
The MF mentality is "own 25 stocks" and "hold stocks for an average of 5 years." They don't give any timing advice because they don't think timing matters. Instead they recommend legging in with systematic purchases.

The "small caps" in their Rule Breakers are really just (on average) 1/2 the market cap of the Stock Advisor picks. Many of the Rule Breaker picks go on to be recommended as Stock Advisor picks once they start to pan out.

Just a little more risk in Rule Breakers.

And, no, I am not interested in gambling. I am sure there are better penny stock newsletters for gambling.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
The MF mentality is "own 25 stocks" and "hold stocks for an average of 5 years." They don't give any timing advice because they don't think timing matters. Instead they recommend legging in with systematic purchases.

The "small caps" in their Rule Breakers are really just (on average) 1/2 the market cap of the Stock Advisor picks. Many of the Rule Breaker picks go on to be recommended as Stock Advisor picks once they start to pan out.

Just a little more risk in Rule Breakers.

And, no, I am not interested in gambling. I am sure there are better penny stock newsletters for gambling.
I made my best options gambling bet with Dell during the dotcom hysteria.

$1k turning into $15k in less than a week...
But I had to watch it like a hawk.
Actually sold while my kids were on a Disney ride, over the phone (land line)...

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Buy indexes and physical gold. Forget about individuals unless you seek dividends.