• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Motorcycle Lust

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I've had two wheeled transportation since I was around 12, the first was a mini-bike powered by a LOUD chain saw motor that I remember riding along Roswell Rd to the bowing alley in 1960. Followed by some Sears Austrian made scooter, a Honda 50 Scrambler, a Yamaha 250 and then a blur of Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki products over the next several decades. I spent several years with a "scooter" as my only transportation. The last motorcycle that I bought was a Suzuki GS1100 that I bought sometime in the to mid-1990's. I rode it but not much after 2000 or so until I gave it away around 2005.

I'm old now, 70. I can't believe it. I saw this ad for a 817 Ducati. It's the bike that I've always lusted for, form, function, handling, power, looks, appeal. I can buy it from pocket change and I want it so badly but I want it as a 25-year-old. It's an absurdity for a 70-year-old but I can't freaking stand it.

110 HP, the big Ducati's are more like 200 HP, immediate death to the reflexes of a 70-year old.

Ducatti.jpg

scan114.jpg

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Buy it and put it on a pedestal in the living room. Call it an art installation.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Buy it and ride around the neighborhood...

After breaking my neck 5 yrs ago , I sold my scooter because it was to dangerous....I am restricted when turning my head and I cannot react fast enough , that puts me and others on the road in danger..

I’m jonesing for a Triumph Bonneville and one more ride coast to coast...

Good luck Tom.

19B571E5-AE6F-48C3-8B9B-17F73D3C8B6B.jpeg

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I've had two wheeled transportation since I was around 12, the first was a mini-bike powered by a LOUD chain saw motor that I remember riding along Roswell Rd to the bowing alley in 1960. Followed by some Sears Austrian made scooter, a Honda 50 Scrambler, a Yamaha 250 and then a blur of Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki products over the next several decades. I spent several years with a "scooter" as my only transportation. The last motorcycle that I bought was a Suzuki GS1100 that I bought sometime in the to mid-1990's. I rode it but not much after 2000 or so until I gave it away around 2005.

I'm old now, 70. I can't believe it. I saw this ad for a 817 Ducati. It's the bike that I've always lusted for, form, function, handling, power, looks, appeal. I can buy it from pocket change and I want it so badly but I want it as a 25-year-old. It's an absurdity for a 70-year-old but I can't freaking stand it.

110 HP, the big Ducati's are more like 200 HP, immediate death to the reflexes of a 70-year old.

View attachment 141046
Drive it in restricted mode at first. Who's going to know?

Golden Regards
Uncle

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Too many distracted drivers looking at their phones for me to ride two wheels anymore - even a bicycle on the rural roads. I watch people go by on the highway and the majority are looking at their phones.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I’m jonesing for a Triumph Bonneville and one more ride coast to coast...

Good luck Tom.
View attachment 141052

I always liked Bonnevilles but never bought one. They're building visually very close replicas now but with some of British idiosyncrasies ironed out. They look like pretty appealing bikes.

I've never done a coast to coast, my longest rides being around 1000 miles one way.

BackwardsEngineeer

What me worry?
Silver Miner

"Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die"

The old Rocker wore his hair too long,
wore his trouser cuffs too tight.
Unfashionable to the end --- drank his ale too light.
Death's head belt buckle --- yesterday's dreams ---
the transport caf' prophet of doom.
Ringing no change in his double-sewn seams
in his post-war-babe gloom.

Now he's too old to Rock'n'Roll but he's too young to die.

He once owned a Harley Davidson and a Triumph Bonneville.
Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.
But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys
all of his mates are doing time:
married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.
And some of them own little sports cars
and meet at the tennis club do's.
For drinks on a Sunday --- work on Monday.
They've thrown away their blue suede shoes.

Now they're too old to Rock'n'Roll and they're too young to die.

So the old Rocker gets out his bike
to make a ton before he takes his leave.
Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be.
And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take
and he hits the trunk road doing around 120
with no room left to brake.

And he was too old to Rock'n'Roll but he was too young to die.
No, you're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die.

Last edited:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Licensed to kill
On my 650 Bonneville
"Hellfire" we yell
Fueled and indestructible
Get it down
To take the crown
Neon daze
Renegades
No fear just hate
Drives us to the ultimate
Cut loose extremes
On our maniac machines
Take me down
Or hit the ground
Neon nights
At the speed of light
So you motherfuckers want to race
You've all got loser tattooed on your face

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Why did I click on this shit and why the f am I responding? whatevers....I have laid down a few scooters and wrecked on one pull out but like I have no bucket list is like I have no lust to go screaming down the road catching bugs again, though I do or can remansis. for some reason my miss spelling of that word redlines as romance...f...!

Anywhooos you know what they say about following your lust, doncha? Well I don't know either but if you should find out shoot me a note; plz!

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker

View attachment 141046
Never stop riding....
As long as you are mentally and physically fit.
Get on a bicycle first and strengthen riding muscles, maybe walk or swim first...
Read "Twist of the Wrist" - Keith Code, tune in to where your attention should be in regards to operating machine.
Consider a track day or weekend if you are super rusty, although bicycle should erase that.
Watch some MotoGP on YouTube, or WSBK, and see extreme body and machine positions at speed.
Ride away from traffic and peak time thereof.
Freakin' enjoy yourself.

Yes, the other driver is the enemy, or that "It" becomes your concentration.
Do not ride with any form of exhaustion: gear, machine, body or mind.
Stay hydrated and fed.
Do not remotely hesitate to pull over and take a break, stretch, wizz, snack, tire check, whatever.
This allows for a reset, like riding the lift to the top of the mountain for another run.
Enjoy yourself, as that's what riding is.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Never stop riding....
As long as you are mentally and physically fit.
Get on a bicycle first and strengthen riding muscles, maybe walk or swim first...
Read "Twist of the Wrist" - Keith Code, tune in to where your attention should be in regards to operating machine.
Consider a track day or weekend if you are super rusty, although bicycle should erase that.
Watch some MotoGP on YouTube, or WSBK, and see extreme body and machine positions at speed.
Ride away from traffic and peak time thereof.
Freakin' enjoy yourself.

Yes, the other driver is the enemy, or that "It" becomes your concentration.
Do not ride with any form of exhaustion: gear, machine, body or mind.
Stay hydrated and fed.
Do not remotely hesitate to pull over and take a break, stretch, wizz, snack, tire check, whatever.
This allows for a reset, like riding the lift to the top of the mountain for another run.
Enjoy yourself, as that's what riding is.
I've got lots of bicycle experience, here's one of my bikes. I've got somewhere around 14,000 miles on it.
bianchi.jpg

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Those Isle of Man racers are just fkn crazy and/or have death wish or super reflexes.

Way above my pay-grade.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Last edited:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
In had a new knee installed last year, in part so I wouldn't need to go to a 3 wheeler. Now I'm as good as new and ride my 05 Yamaha VSTAR 1100 whenever I get the time. Once I retire I'll ride it a lot more often.
Those Isle of Man racers are just fkn crazy and/or have death wish or super reflexes.

Way above my pay-grade.

Golden Regards
Uncle
I'm an old cruiser guy. This is what my bike looked like when I bought it back in '07(its an '05 Vstar 1100 Silverado). I removed all the Yamaha branding off the gas tank, side covers and front fenders, added a bunch of chrome and a HyperCharger air intake. Everyone compliments me on my 'nice Harley'. I tell them it's not a Harley, its a Yamaha. I put the other $10K a Harley would have cost me into PMs

1568668207444.png

Last edited:

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

They die a lot at the Isle of Mann race. Can't imagine doing 180+ on a narrow country road or cottage lined lane.

I've never road raced officially though I used to do a lot of back road burning near to where I lived in North Georgia. Nice twistys there. I did used to hit Forsyth County Dragstrip for Friday and Saturday nights. That was a blast.

Last edited:

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
In had a new knee installed last year, in part so I wouldn't need to go to a 3 wheeler. Now I'm as good as new and ride my 05 Yamaha VSTAR 1100 whenever I get the time. Once I retire I'll ride it a lot more often.

I'm an old cruiser guy. This is what my bike looked like when I bought it back in '07(its an '05 Vstar 1100 Silverado). I removed all the branding off the gas tank, side covers and front fenders, added a bunch of chrome and a HyperCharger air intake. Everyone compliments me on my 'nice Harley'. I tell them it's not a Harley, its a Yamaha. I put the other $10K a Harley would have cost me into PMs

View attachment 141144
Nice scooter Shoot.

Only bike I had was a Yamaha XT 550. Did about 100k miles with it. After my last refurbish, a credible friend took it for a spin and totalled it. Not his fault. This was about 1990. I lust for something, and have been since, but you'll get boxed quite soon the way the fkn locals are drving. So I'm stuck in a can.

Golden Regards
Uncle

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I'm looking for a sidecar passenger.....................................

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Nice scooter Shoot.

Only bike I had was a Yamaha XT 550. Did about 100k miles with it. After my last refurbish, a credible friend took it for a spin and totalled it. Not his fault. This was about 1990. I lust for something, and have been since, but you'll get boxed quite soon the way the fkn locals are drving. So I'm stuck in a can.

Golden Regards
Uncle
Thanks Unc, I understand what you mean. Young or old, your head needs to be on a swivel when you ride. People don't care how unsafe and vulnerable you are on your bike....they'll kill you then apologize to your family later rather than be careful before they kill you...too inconvenient!

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Thanks Unc, I understand what you mean. Young or old, your head needs to be on a swivel when you ride. People don't care how unsafe and vulnerable you are on your bike....they'll kill you then apologize to your family later rather than be careful before they kill you...too inconvenient!
I just got scared, still am. The friend who totalled the bike was only about 200 yards from my place. Still can't walk properly and has many issues. If I just didn't give him the bike. But he was a grown man, responsible for his own actions.

Any case, for you guys still riding....twist grip and enjoy.

Golden Regards
Uncle

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Hope you all enjoy the [L] outta your 2 wheelers. I can't keep 4 standing so I don't bother with 2 or 3.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My theory when I was riding was to assume that everyone was trying to kill me. Always be aware of everyone around and the dynamics, scan constantly, forward, sides, mirrors, look hard at people potentially pulling out. I wonder if I still have it in me for situational awareness on that level.

Yeah, I spent a summer in a cast from the waist up, my younger brother spent months in a wheelchair. But that was in the young early days, my last 25 years of riding were without major f*ck ups.

I crashed my first scooter, a Sears 125 CC Puch (I think) in somewhere around 1961. It never ran again. I bought that at age 12 or 13 by mowing large lawns in really hilly terrain for $2 a yard with me providing the mower and gas. I later graduated to picking up baseballs at a batting range for $.35/hour.

Last edited:

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
In the late 1970's or early 1980's, a friend left the country for a couple of years to work in Saudi Arabia and left his 1200CC Super Glide with me with the understanding that I'd ride it once a month. I got into an "interesting" situation with a large and pissed off dog at the end of a dead end street when panicked Tom forgot that with Harley's of that vintage, you toed up to downshift. So there I was in 4th gear at 8MPH trying to fend off a 100+ lb dog trying to take my leg off.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
70 is not too old. its like making love you never forget how. i had over 10 motorcyles. 2 kawasaki Z1-Rs. crashed twice and bought a parachute and learned to skydive. that was 40 years ago. figured it would be safer. the problem is there are way too many distracted people on cell phones . a german couple i know got ran over from behind by a distracted driver. it took them years to heal and they were in their 50's. another person i know was at a stop. and woke up in someones front yard from being hit from behind. as the sayings go.
there are two types of riders the ones who have crashed and the ones who are gonna.
there are two types of riders live ones and dead ones.
the germans call them organ donors.
on the other hand youre gonna die anyway so you might as well have some fun while you still can!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Too many distracted drivers looking at their phones for me to ride two wheels anymore - even a bicycle on the rural roads. I watch people go by on the highway and the majority are looking at their phones.
That's what I worry about.

My theory when I was riding was to assume that everyone was trying to kill me. Always be aware of everyone around and the dynamics, scan constantly, forward, sides, mirrors, look hard at people potentially pulling out. I wonder if I still have it in me for situational awareness on that level.
Even if you are vigilant, they still are out to get you. If not the 2 leggas, it's the 4 legga deer...

Every few months around here we hear about a his n her riding and being 'taken out' because 'someone' didn't see them, or didn't yield right of way, or simply ran a stop sign.

I have an 1989 R100RT that looks a lot like this one... same luggage, faring, color...

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 10.52.31 AM.png

Needs fresh gas, a battery and a tune.

Been sitting in the garage for about 7 yrs. My riding partner sold his.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Does this count ?

GETTING AIR 001 - Copy.jpg

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
down in Florida I thought I would see more motorcycles. Then I drove amongst the sheeple. I gasped and decided against sunshine motorcycling.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
down in Florida I thought I would see more motorcycles. Then I drove amongst the sheeple. I gasped and decided against sunshine motorcycling.
If it's not the texting youth, it's the half blind seniors with slow to no reaction time.

I stay off the roads during peak traffic times, even in the cage.

Man's got to know his limitations.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
If it's not the texting youth, it's the half blind seniors with slow to no reaction time.

I stay off the roads during peak traffic times, even in the cage.

Man's got to know his limitations.
I will bet that texting youth have as many (or cause as many) accidents, as the slow seniors.
BTW I am 77 years old and in the top 10% of the racers on K-1 Speed. These are fast electric go-carts on a highly technical course.
I also ride a Quadzilla 500 (modified) at 80 mph in the sand dunes & up to 6 feet in the air.
Don't group all the seniors in one lot, some of us still "have it".
GETTING AIR 001 - Copy.jpg