• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Motorcycle Mania

Where is your favorite State to Ride??

• South Dakota???? Black Hills

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Tennessee??? LBL or the Mountains

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • California??

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Arizona??

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Florida??

• Texas??

• Alabama??

• North Georgia??

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Carolinas??

• New Mexico??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
French Alps

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Rumania

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
If you happen to go to Sweden, just keep a lookout in your rear-view mirror for this guy...

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
Welcome aboard LetterG.

Cascade Loop, Washington state. Also Ridge motor sports. Get to do track days to get the juices flowing in Shelton, WA.

79' KZ 1000 st . Custom restored 4 into 1 exhaust, 10to1 pistons, mikuni carb pods, undercut gears transmission, custom built Brembo front disc rotors, custom built rear nitrogen shocks. Shaft drive.

View attachment 80807
Sweet ride REO! I had a '82 KZ 1000-J back in the day!

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
When I was young & unbreakable, I always wanted to try this =

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
The ride to and from the Rock Store in Malibu Canyon is always a good one. You can pull off up at the top, and watch guys coming up the hill in some pretty tight turns. Always a risk of oncoming traffic, and gravel/rocks in the road though.

VeniceBeachBum

Seeker
Seeker
The ride to and from the Rock Store in Malibu Canyon is always a good one. You can pull off up at the top, and watch guys coming up the hill in some pretty tight turns. Always a risk of oncoming traffic, and gravel/rocks in the road though.
I do that ride a few times a month. Stop at the rock store for a bit then head up to the overlook atop the snake. Mulholland, Encinal, Latigo cyn rd, Stunt Rd, Piuma..... Then head to Neptune's Net... My favorite roads up there....

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
This was my first motorcycle. Dad got it for me when I was 10 years old - had to share it with my brothers. Whoever got up first in the morning got it and that was usually me.

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
This was my first motorcycle. Dad got it for me when I was 10 years old - had to share it with my brothers. Whoever got up first in the morning got it and that was usually me.

I got that exact one for my son on his 6th birthday! Fun bike!

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
My current ride for the twisties is a 750 Suzuki Katana. Plenty fast, and quite nimble for a heavier bike. At my age, the riding position comes into play big time. Did a 300 mile ride last summer and my neck hurt for days after. No way could I do that on a full crotch rocket like a GSXR or Ninja, with the lower, crouched position. We went through the Sonora Pass, 10,000 ft. elevation or so. Talk about a hairball, twisty ride! Fun and beautiful though.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
My current ride for the twisties is a 750 Suzuki Katana. Plenty fast, and quite nimble for a heavier bike. At my age, the riding position comes into play big time. Did a 300 mile ride last summer and my neck hurt for days after. No way could I do that on a full crotch rocket like a GSXR or Ninja, with the lower, crouched position. We went through the Sonora Pass, 10,000 ft. elevation or so. Talk about a hairball, twisty ride! Fun and beautiful though.

A Ninja is more of a streetbike while the Katana is more of a sport tourer. You are thinking of a ZX-10 that will give you back pain. Ninjas are great for everyday riding.

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
A Ninja is more of a streetbike while the Katana is more of a sport tourer. You are thinking of a ZX-10 that will give you back pain. Ninjas are great for everyday riding.
Unfortunately on the highway, the windscreen directs the air right under your chin. After that long ride, my neck was toast. Hard to have the perfect bike for the day, when you are doing two or three types of riding. Still, it's all worth it! All the guys I ride with are ten years older than me ( I'm 55) and these guys don't screw around, they get after it! It's a blast. When we pull into a stop, people seem kind of shocked when all the grey beards pull their helmets off! LOL!

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
That's a comfortable looking passenger right there. Makes a difference when they don't have to hold on for dear life all day long!
Holding onto "Dear" is one reason I have arm rests on my bike, something less distracting for the rider to hang onto. A plus is that it does make the rider feel more secure.

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
Tire question for the Crotch Rocket guys. I have Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart (sport touring) tires on my Katana right now, that's what was on it when I bought it. Front tire needs replacing, so I'm getting a Sport Max Q3. The rear still has decent tread, I figure the front Q3 will wear out about the same time as the rest of the rear Roadsmart. Plus, I wanted to feel the difference of the front before deciding on what to get for the next full set. Wondering if you guys have any preference between the Dunlop Q3 say, and the Michelin Pilot 2CT, which is my other choice for a full set at a later date? Sounds like the Michelins are about as soft as it gets from the reviews I've read. Anyone have any knowledge, or preference to offer on this subject? Since the majority of my riding tends to be of the canyon carving type, with a bunch of Hoodlums, I'm going with the sticky tires that don't last as long. I figure I'll at least get a full season out of a set of sticky ones. Seems the Dunlops and the Michelins are the most popular.

Last edited:

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Here's what I ride the mountains of East Tennessee with. Custom built, titled 1961, 96ci stroker EVO, 5sp with reverse, 80 spoke wheels, Ultima raked frontend, steel Ural box on a custom built frame. A dedicated sidecar bike. I built her about three years ago. Gave her 10" of ground clearance so she'll ford creeks and climb washed out, rocky, mountain roads.
P1060455.JPG
P1060456.JPG
P1060457.JPG

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I had a Honda 350 Four cylinder. I think it was the first consumer motorcycle with a disc brake. They only made them in 1973 and 1974. I thought the little shot glass pistons were working too hard. The thing redlined at 10,500 RPM I believe. I had ridden the Honda 350 twin and liked the torquey twin better, but I got a good deal on a mint condition 350 Four from a coworker. This one below is not mine but mine looked as good, minus the saddle bags and rear carrier.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Anyone have any kidney pains from riding too much ? I was getting them and I stopped riding as much and they seem to have gone away. Does a kidney belt actually help ? I want to know whether to buy one or not.

skychief

enthusiastic stacker
Silver Miner
I do that ride a few times a month. Stop at the rock store for a bit then head up to the overlook atop the snake. Mulholland, Encinal, Latigo cyn rd, Stunt Rd, Piuma..... Then head to Neptune's Net... My favorite roads up there....
Nice routes.

Neptune's Net is okay for kibbitzin' with the biker bro's and grabbing a cold one..

For much better eats, try Malibu Seafood. 19 miles east of the Net.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
school bike.jpg

School back in session here today. Do not think this would be practical.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Anyone watch the 3 day series harley and the davidsons?

Duckworth

Seeker
Seeker
Site Supporter ++
Anyone watch the 3 day series harley and the davidsons?
I did. After the DB Cooper story I decided to record all 3 of them on the DVR and then watch it so I could skip the commercials. (many, especially the 3rd episode) I was a little disappointed, but still I enjoyed it.

Duckworth

Seeker
Seeker
Site Supporter ++
Searcher, that Classic Collector Bikes video was fantastic. I may have missed it, but do you know where that event was held? There is an AAMA meet in Denton NC that I go to every spring. Sometimes it is pretty good but nothing like that! I'm going to check out the 2 Indian videos later.

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
Congratulations to Marq Marquez for sewing up the Moto-GP title at Motegi today. Champion 3 of the last 4 years, youngest to win 3 Moto-GP titles, tied for most poles in his career. The youngster is going to shatter most, if not ALL of Rossi's records. I think that is what keeps Rossi motivated at his age. There is a direct correlation to the arrival of Marquez on the scene, and the resurgence of Rossi's career. Makes for great racing anyway.

Duckworth

Seeker
Seeker
Site Supporter ++
I was wondering if any of you guys that ride with friends have gotten into any of the communication devices out on the market. A friend and I got a couple of the Cardo Systems Scala Rider Q3 units last month. It is a bike to bike intercom with unbelievable clarity. There is also a built in FM radio, you can hook up to your phone via bluetooth, and also can plug MP3 player into it. The range is a good 1/4 mile with direct line of site. I can make or receive hands free cell phone calls. Nobody can believe I'm going 60-70 miles down the highway on a Harley when I'm on the phone. When I'm riding by myself I hook up my mp3 and the sound is really good. I don't even use my stereo on the dashboard anymore. It's a lot of fun to chat while we're riding. The technology is getting amazing.

AGG

Seeker
Seeker
I got into the Honda cx500 and 650 series from tge early '80's a number of years ago. Simewhat of a hobby. Central and northern Pa (above rt 80) has good riding.

They made turbo versions of the 500 and 650 versions. Shown is a canadian 650 Eurosport (not imported to the U.S. but brought down) and a 500 turbo. I've had each of the other model styles in the past including the silverwing.

The 650 turbos will still accelerate with modern sportbikes up to about 125 and after the boost is loaded. The 500 turbo had a early (one of the first) computerized ignition. and was highly touted by Honda engineers. I believe it had the smallest production turbocharger to that time period and for many years folliwing. I'm not sure if some of the small diesel tractors would have smaller turbos now.

CAM00357.jpg
CAM00149-1-1.jpg
View attachment 88676

Last edited:

AGG

Seeker
Seeker
The 500 standard and deluxes are commonly modded into cafe racers. Here is a picture of what some artist did with some 500 standards. His name is sacha something I think. He's offered to make copies of these in the 50,000 $ range plus or minus depending on if they get titanium fasteners.

31583d1454745002-new-cx500-$50-760-sport-$79-760-b0ab04_3ef736ecca064af1813cea1a58c2f825.jpg

Last edited:

AGG

Seeker
Seeker
Here is a video reviewing the 650 Turbo from a european perspective. About 1750? were made with about 1250 making it to the U.S. Its estimated that about half are still in existance.

AGG

Seeker
Seeker
A friend of mine who lives about 20 miles away has a sidecar manufacturing business and makes his own line of sidecars or installs other brands ir trike kits. Its often interesting to see what he's working on since they get involved in lots of custom work. If your interested in sidexars, follow his facebook page.

Sorry if the pics come out inveerted. Must be a software glitch.

http://www.freedomsidecars.com/

CAM00249.jpg

CAM00247.jpg

Last edited:

AGG

Seeker
Seeker
Here is a picture of a Gl 500 Silverwing interstate. Yes, a full dresser on a 50-cc motor. Top speed may have been 95 tops (downhill, with a light rider), but it would do 75-80 all day comfortably if needed. We have a yearly rally in central Pa, which draws just 20-30 people but they come from about 12 states plus Canada....and a few aussies and irishmen have attended.

Here is the club forum.

http://cx500forum.com/

CAM00244-1.jpg

Last edited:

AGG

Seeker
Seeker
Is that your bike searcher? Or just posting someone elses video?

Anyone whos renovated or restored a motorcycle will appreceate this video. The song fits so well with the therapeautic value of recreating something. "Leave me in peace while I get the job done"

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Who says that Italians can't organize or coordinate anything?