• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Moving With Your Metals

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Can’t recall seeing this specific topic dealt with, maybe it already has but I didn’t find anything by searching. When you move to another place, especially to another state, how can you move your metals safely and securely? Ship them registered mail to your new place? Pack them with other nondescript items to put in the moving truck? Anyone here ever move with any metal and have any problems, up to and including asset forfeiture? Tips, tricks, what to do and especially what not to do?

R.

Last edited:

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I loaded them into a van in the least conspicuous way possible. Never let them out of my sight...no issues.

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Can’t recall seeing this specific topic dealt with, maybe it already has but I didn’t find anything by searching. When you move to another place, especially to another state, how can you move your metals safely and securely? Ship them registered mail to your new place? Pack them with other nondescript items to put in the moving truck? Anyone here ever move with any metal and have any problems, up to and including asset forfeiture? Tips, tricks, what to do and especially what not to do?

R.
Keep yer dang pie whole shut, obey the laws of the land and be your own private security guard. It's actually fun!

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Well, I know about the pie hole thing, not asking for just myself.

R.

Last edited:

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
In my experience gold is easy, silver a pain in the ass.
Gold is heavier than silver. If you have enough gold, it's more of a pain in the ass than silver ;)

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
last time i moved i basicly did a "vault move" .....i have a rolling cover on my pickup bed...i bought a pallet load of military 30cal ammo cans.....packed them full of PMs and AMMO from my vault ....backed my pickup in the garage...carried several TONS (at least it seemed like it) of these ammo cans up the stairs to my 1ton pickup loaded it down pulled the cover over it ...locked the cover...and drove to my new location.....i did not cross any state lines (not that it would matter) ......i actually drove alone ..with my helper in a car in front of me....stayed lawful traffic wise....zero issues...i am really not sure what would have happened if i were stopped and searched (searching would have required at minimum probably cause due to items being locked in pickup bed) ....i can only imagine what the headlines would have read if i were stopped and searched even though i was totally legal in all requards. .....what i did with stuff when i got to the new site is another story .....but ...banks..backhoes...concrete...and steel were all involved ...LOL

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
When we moved, I had to store a good amount in a storage unit. Sold our house but didn't have the next place ready. Had the storage unit packed to the gills with the metal under heavy furniture in the back of the unit.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Not to nitpick...

1 ounce of gold is the same weight as 1 ounce of silver, just takes up less space. :)
Gold is more dense than silver. For a similar volume, gold is much heavier.

Gold-196.97amu
Silver-107.8628amu

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Whatever you do, don't put them in the boat you're towing to your new home.
I don’t do that anymore after getting sideways once on the way to the lake and dumping a few thousand silver rounds that were in the boat on the highway and causing a major pileup from all the greedy scavengers.

R.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
When I had to use a temporary housing situation once when moving before the house was ready, I used a private vault company. Schlepped all the PM's over there in the trunk of my car, all carefully packed in Pelican Cases (water proof, airtight, lockable ) that they could stow in the vault. Being private it wasn't subject to a "bank holiday" fears.
http://www.losaltosvault.com/

Web_Ad.gif

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
In my neck of the woods asset forfeiture is the big new "in thing" by the law officials...something to think about.
Cops steal more than "other" crooks at this point...this was my biggest concern when moving. Well cops and coral reefs, hate it when my metals end up at the bottom of lakes. :(

Definitely dot all your Is and cross all your Ts to hopefully avoid any...imperial entanglements.