• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Need help doing a P.M. presentation

SinCity Silver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I’ve been asked by my Neighborhood Preperation Group to give a presentation on precious metals. Most in the group are new to the subject. It won’t be too in depth, probably only about 10 minutes worth of time. I will put together a handout, and also send it to their emails, for those wishing to follow any of the links.

I’m looking for suggestions on what to cover in my initial presentation for novices, and a few suggestions of web links for reputable precious metal sellers or educational websites.

Thank you for any suggestions/advice.

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
#1: Physical Silver is NOT an investment, it is a method to preserve your wealth
#2: if you profit by holding Physical Silver, that's o.k. too

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
then use a silver dime versus a clad dime, tell them a candy bar story...people like tangible things, if it's 'for show' and the 'class' isn't very large, bring a roll of dimes they can each take one home with them, nothing says "Remember" better than a good keepsake, a souvenir

maybe one will bring you an apple next time, teach'...
:oriental:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
I’ve been asked by my Neighborhood Preperation Group to give a presentation on precious metals. Most in the group are new to the subject. It won’t be too in depth, probably only about 10 minutes worth of time. I will put together a handout, and also send it to their emails, for those wishing to follow any of the links.

I’m looking for suggestions on what to cover in my initial presentation for novices, and a few suggestions of web links for reputable precious metal sellers or educational websites.

Point out how the value of the dollar has fallen so greatly in the last 100 years - you can touch on why, if someone asks; but in a presentation, just say "money-printing. Like Germany before the war."

Point out how an ounce of gold would buy a man a good suit, 150 years ago - and again, today. How an ounce of gold was about two weeks' wages, 150 years ago - and still today.

And how silver, being more common than gold, is priced lower - with wilder price variances, because of more speculation and industrial purchases; but it tracks the same.

As someone said: Stress that it is WEALTH PRESERVATION. If these folks are reasonably well off, they've got the conventional investments - Treasury bonds, mutual funds, pension investments. They see those are doing nothing. Show them what prices have done in the last TWENTY years, and why; and how all this "Quantitative Easing" is just money-printing, destroying the dollar's value.

Point out how there are no real investment opportunities in this Financialized economy. The price of gold will go up in dollars, just as some stock portfolios might; but in terms of what it will buy, the gains will be slight and even with nominal gains, purchasing power may drop. Their aim is to HOLD ON to wealth, and this is how precious metals fit in.

Stress that they don't own it if they don't hold it. Point out that there can be fraud in gold and silver pools and "stored metals" sales outfits. Unless they have their silver or gold set aside, it may wind up being comingled - with more receipt holders than metal in the vaults.

And unless they can physically view, identify, and lock up their purchase, they have only the sales rep's word that it is set aside and secured.

Good luck. You have an evening to teach them what I took 17 years to learn.

pay dirt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Take a dollar bill out and ask the audience what it is worth. Then proceed to cut it in half with scissors. (This immediately gets their attention to the subject). Ask them what is it worth now? Nothing. Then pull out a silver dollar and ask them what it is worth. Let them guess. (They will guess all over the place) .Tell them how much it is worth. Ask them how much it is worth split in half. Watch the light bulbs turn on in their minds.

the_shootist

Old (not THAT old), but dangerous, pasty white guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Strongly emphasize, Possession is 9/10ths of the LAW.
Definitely have examples to pass around in order to show options.
No scare tactics, only positive info, which seems to be chorus above.
A print of .com dealers, .com info, books, LCS, and FED charts for desert.
Consider your exposure as holder.
"I picked these up at LCS for presentation".
Hope they are Constitutional Americans 100%.
Maybe full faced anonymous mask too ! ;-)

Consider mentioning past portfolio PM holdings before stock addiction and USD printing went through the roof.
If I recall correctly the averages were between 5% - 10%.
Now... all in paper.

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The Coinflation website is helpful. Remind them that gasoline was 19 cents a gallon back when coins were made of silver. What will 2 silver dimes buy today? Coinflation says they are currently worth $1.97 each, or $3.94, which will buy you MORE than a gallon of gas today. Those silver dimes held their purchasing power for 50 years. Remind them again that 2 of today's crap dimes wil buy you only 20 cents worth of gas.

TylerDurden

Seeker
Seeker
I've had friends and family asking about PM's recently. I mention a lot of the stuff already discussed, but I always stress that even if I may be 100% correct, the market is rigged so who knows what the future holds. So if they're buying as an investment, they better do their research and know what they're getting into. If they're buying as wealth preservation, buy it, stick it somewhere, forget you have it and don't pay attention to spot prices. You don't want neighbors coming to you complaining saying you said this would preserve their wealth so they bought for $35oz and now it's been hammered down and only "worth" $20.

Also, one question that always comes up is "How do you know it's real?" so you may want to be prepared for that. I'll usually demonstrate the difference in sound when you flip or drop real gold/silver, and will let them hold some to feel weight. I've never had one person hold a gold eagle for the first time and not comment on the weight.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
* Get the point across it all melts the same.
* Help them understand that an 1 toz has not changed the value of the dollar has.
* Can you get any Zimbabwe 1 billion dollar bill that you bought for $2 US?
* Agree with above. Tangible items.
* Explain how the game is almost up.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I use a candy bar example, for my neices and nephews, too. Tell them (full size) candy bars were 15 cents, when I was a child. Now they are at least $1.05 each (smaller size, too.) with sales tax. Showing them, that I could have bought 7 candy bars with $1.05, compared to one today.

Another example, especially for adults, is the cost of medical insurance. I remember in 2003, that a family premium was $700.00. Now it can be $1800.00 a month for family health insurance.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Good to show how rising wages have not equaled higher standard of living but higher taxes paid.
1970 wages vs 2020 wages buying power. A hidden form of taxation.

Usc96

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Both the bill and the coin were minted/printed in 1922. Both have a face value of $20, and both are US tender and supposedly could be turned into the bank for $20 today (wouldn't that be a sight to see). At a coin show, the $20 gold certificate is worth $400. The $20 gold coin is worth $2,000.
Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 10.06.07 PM.png

As Buck said, PMs are NOT an investment. If you want an investment, start a 401(k) at work and buy a growth stock Mutual Fund. If the US Dollar hegemony holds, then one day you may have enough saved in your 401(k) to supplement your SS so you can retire. If the US Dollar hegemony does NOT hold, which I give the US Dollar a 1 in 10 chance of NOT maintaining its global reserve status in my lifetime, PMs are a method to preserve your wealth.

So 90% chance all's going to be well, but expect serious inflation (but remember, the Fed can't afford to allow interest rates to rise on the significant amount of outstanding debt).

If that 10% chance does happen, and the US dollar loses its global reserve status, we will likely see a major correction or failure of the US economy. After the correction or failure, we will most likely start back with a barter economy (food, silver, supplies, trade).* After the new economy is established, gold PMs could come in handy to buy land or to invest in something of significance like a factory, equipment or a business.

Summary: PMs are NOT an investment. PMs are insurance for when the US dollar loses its global reserve status and you need to survive, rebuild and reestablish yourself.

If you prefer to reestablish yourself as a serf, then do nothing. If you prefer to reestablish yourself as someone of means, then set aside gold and silver.

*probably not a bad idea to set aside some lead too.

Last edited:

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Seeker

If I only have a short time I always focus on this:

1. We live in a time when promises to pay (debt) vastly exceed ability to pay (reality).

2. Almost all financial assets: dollars, bonds, stocks depend on the ability of other people to fulfil a promise.

3. Gold/silver held in your possession are the only assets which do not depend on someone else's promise to pay.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
If I only have a short time I always focus on this:

1. We live in a time when promises to pay (debt) vastly exceed ability to pay (reality).

2. Almost all financial assets: dollars, bonds, stocks depend on the ability of other people to fulfil a promise.

3. Gold/silver held in your possession are the only assets which do not depend on someone else's promise to pay.
I like that...but in a short presentation, it would be like taking a Calculus textbook to a fifth-grade class.

When you tell them the dollar is debt, an obligation on another party...you are going to get blank looks. Why, the dollar is MONEY! It's an ASSET! It's not anyone's obligation - I hold it, right here!

A stock is not debt - it's a share of the company! It's legally binding - I own this much of the business! Even bonds - obviously, debt, but it's a legal contract, enforced by courts!

To understand the concept of fiat and stocks as counterparty claims, you have to bring your audience into a whole paradigm shift. And that takes time and an open mind. Even with someone receptive, it will take much exposure, and plenty of presented evidence.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
When there's a good answer to that, I'd like to hear it, also.

That is the risk we run, in a morphing police state. NOTHING is certain anymore - gold protects the dollar's collapse as currency; but nothing can protect us from government's banning of ownership of wealth. Any more than anything can protect us from government's ban on firearms.

What it means, in the end, is that to be free and to preserve our wealth and our personal safety...we become State Criminals.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Use this example...I used this for my brother. Take a $20 bill, and think back a few years. That $20 would get you a basket of goods at the grocery store. A pound of ground beef, a chicken, a gallon of milk, loaf of bread, maybe a candy bar at the checkout.

Let's say you want to save some money for an emergency. You want to put that $20 in your safe, or in an envelope in the back of a cupboard. Or...you could use that $20 to buy an ounce of silver. (set a $20 bill and a one ounce silver round on the table). You can put either of those in your safe or in that envelope. Now, fast forward to today. Pull out the $20 bill. Does that get you the same basket of goods at the grocery store? Can you get as much with that $20 bill as you did when you stuck it away? Now, if you had exchanged that $20 for an ounce of silver, you can exchange that ounce of silver for what...$25 today? Now, does the $25 get you the same basket of goods today that you could get for $20 a few years ago?

When inflation eats away the value of the $20 bill, the silver holds it purchasing power against inflation. The value of the silver in terms of dollars may not go up if there is no or limited inflation. I think of physical gold and silver more as insurance than an investment, but that is a matter of opinion and perspective.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I’ve been asked by my Neighborhood Preperation Group to give a presentation on precious metals.
Now that in my opinion is scary. AFAIC that is too many folks know you have PMs which can lead to "loose lips sink ships".
My wife and boys know I have PMs but they don't care. The youngest showed a little interest years ago, but no longer.
Of all my blood family and In-laws, ONE knows and cares about PMs since I clued him in 15 years ago. And he is and has been a far more serious stacker compared to my little stash / pile. ( Plus he lives 1500 mi. away).
I will offer this for your closing :
One of Ayn Rand's last public talks a long time ago at a New Orleans Gold and Silver conference. A woman's question was " How do we help out our communities when this need arrives ? Ms Rand's curt response was " Don't be one of them".

Don't push your point(s) afterwards. REMEMBER: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Seeker
I like that...but in a short presentation, it would be like taking a Calculus textbook to a fifth-grade class.

When you tell them the dollar is debt, an obligation on another party...you are going to get blank looks. Why, the dollar is MONEY! It's an ASSET! It's not anyone's obligation - I hold it, right here!

A stock is not debt - it's a share of the company! It's legally binding - I own this much of the business! Even bonds - obviously, debt, but it's a legal contract, enforced by courts!

To understand the concept of fiat and stocks as counterparty claims, you have to bring your audience into a whole paradigm shift. And that takes time and an open mind. Even with someone receptive, it will take much exposure, and plenty of presented evidence.
You may be right, but it's always worked for me.

I start at the macro level, and say that there is a big disconnect between financial assets and the real world. Everybody looks in their bank accounts, and their brokerage accounts and adds up the dollars and turns it into houses, heating, cars, gas, bread, nice juicy ribeyes and everything else they think they will need in their retirement. Right now - until they are spent - all those dollar balances are just promises - promises that you can get the things you will need one day. And the problem now is that far more promises have been made than can actually be kept - there are far more dollars in peoples' accounts than real goods or the ability to make them, and when people try to cash their dollars in the system will break and those promises will not be fulfilled because the goods don't exist. It's just like a nightclub cloakroom where the attendants have stolen some of the coats and sold them. everybody in the night club has a claim check that they believe will allow them to wear a coat on the way home. But that is not what will happen, because the coats don't exist to fulfil the promise of the claim check.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I use a candy bar example,
The candy bar price shock back in '86 is what caused the awareness for me. I realized I just paid 65 cents for a candy bar I bought as a kid for 5 cents, and the 65 cent bar was thinner than the 5 cent bar.
What had changed ? Less candy, Higher price hit me, Too Much Money floating around. The money held less value meant spending more for items. Then I noticed how 16oz Cans had become 15oz can, 6oz cans 5.5 oz cans, Half-gallon Ice Cream is no longer a half gallon, more like a quart and a half , ( now even less product or higher unit price).
Eat the elephant one bite at a time.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Will that impress the unschooled?

You see this with DemocRats ALLA TIME. Moar money...everyone RICH! Raise the Minimum Wage, and we're ALL Middle Class! Give us UBI, and we won't have to work!

Just as you have to teach a kid what the shapes of the alphabet mean, you have to teach a non-stacker what that line on that chart represents. You have to start by showing that basic stuff, as I illustrated earlier, has remained of constant price in terms of gold. But has increased 1000x in terms of inflated dollars.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The "federal reserve" is a private for profit entity and it's policies are designed to enslave us all. NOTHING to do with the US Government.
They shot Lincoln, Kennedy, Regan and fought Trump every inch of the way to protect their control over you.

Hey you might aw well awaken them to the realities of "frn money" and don't leave out the control digital will give them from a garage sale to tipping.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Do they have 'smart' phone to 'smart' phone cash transactions yet?
I don't mean the store phone thingy, I mean personal to personal.

BF

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Do they have 'smart' phone to 'smart' phone cash transactions yet?
I don't mean the store phone thingy, I mean personal to personal.

BF
Send money to a phone number
  1. Open the Google Pay app .
  2. At the bottom right, tap Send.
  3. Tap Send or request.
  4. Enter your recipient's phone number.
  5. Enter the amount you want to send.
  6. Tap Send.
  7. Confirm your payment method.
  8. Tap Confirm & send.

https://time.com/4232456/venmo-paypal-send-money/
5 Ways To Send Money With Your Smartphone

SinCity Silver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Thank you all, so many good ideas. We meet weekly, so I will try to do several bite-size presentations. I’ll be including several good websites, (like GoldisMoney2), so that they can start researching on their own.
And of course, I will let them know that any P.M.’s that I once had, were lost in a boating accident!

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Thank you all, so many good ideas. We meet weekly, so I will try to do several bite-size presentations. I’ll be including several good websites, (like GoldisMoney2), so that they can start researching on their own.
And of course, I will let them know that any P.M.’s that I once had, were lost in a boating accident!
spend half your prep time working on how to convince them that you dont have any at your home - maybe in a box at the bank?

you might also mention the constitution and why ONLY gold/silver are prescribed.....and the continental currency that was inflated/counterfeited to death. this experience, i think, helped inspire the remedy that was written into the constitution

Argentsum

Blown Away
Gold Chaser
I'd try and shy away from any conspiracy theory stuff when doing the presentation.

If one or two of your audience starts looking wild eyed and begins panting, maybe pass along this web address to them on the down-low.

You could compare and contrast precious metals versus the dollar. One represents value, the other HAS value. How PMs have never gone to
zero value in over 5000 years. How they sometimes function as a hedge against uncertainty and market calamity. Certainly as a hedge
against long term inflation and even hyperinflation.

Just be sure to have some facts and examples, near at hand, to whatever you discuss.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
You may mention that certain states, that shall remain nameless(UTAH and NEVADA) are currently displaying the unmitigated audacity of recognizing gold and silver as money. ...and even going so far as to stamp their state seal of approval on paper imbedded with trace gold.

1613750568751.png

While they kinda blow from an investment standpoint, since the premiums are astronomical relative to the PM content, they are beautiful and they send a message.