• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Need Internet Router Help

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Ok, so I have fiber optic cable to my house and used to have some pretty fast download speed. As of lately, I’m running into slow loads and long waits for stuff to load and I get a ton of buffering on anything Youtube(prob ads). I’m using all apple products and my Netgear wifi router is 6 or so years old and has early 5g. Anyone have any ideas? New router time? If so I’m going to get an extender to run out to my shop 100’ away. I have metal siding and the router is currently in my basement so the signal outside of the house is very poor. Thanks in advance.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Might be new computer time.

The Cupertino Fruit Company, in its "software updates," deliberately slows down their iPhones - to get the Woketards to spring for new ones.

I don't know if they do it with their computers. I turned Automatic Updates off on my Mac Mini, which in any event is no longer supported.

They obsoleted the browsers and cut me off the App Store, and somehow one of their "updates" made Brave not work...so the thing's garbage. I paid a guy to load Linux Mint on it, and he did; but many features, including the search feature, didn't work. Fail.

So, I have a used Wintel machine, now, with Linux Mint on it. Perfectly competent.

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Do some testing with a Windows based PC if you can. Jump onto the following website:

to determine what sort of speeds you're getting (on both the iFruit and Windows machines).

wastrel

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Check to see if there is a firmware update available for the model of the Netgear router you have. If so, upgrading might fix the problem.

Otherwise, see if you can plug your Apple computer directly into one of the router's Ethernet ports. Depending on what Apple product you have, you might have to get an Ethernet adapter to plug the Ethernet cable into your computer. If you get much better speeds when plugged in vs using the wifi, then the router is definitely the problem. If not, it still might be a problem with the router anyway. (in my experience getting six years out of Netgear equipment is actually pretty good)

If you decide to replace the router, make sure you visit your fiber provider's website to see if they have a list of routers that are compatible with their service. If they don't, it probably means pretty much anything should work, but check first to be sure.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
I would get a new, but previous generation gig router and new modem. Avoid the combo units. I am also no longer a fan of Linksys.

Love my DLink A20 and Motorola Surfboard.

20220806_084239.jpg
20220806_084250.jpg

alicestevens

Reaction score
Netgear has new good routers available. Talk to their customer service here and see if they can offer you something.
Make sure you read the reviews about particular device and see if the minuses are ok for you. With some disadvantages you can live and some are not expectable from my point of view.

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Slow up/downloads could be due to anything. The problem might be at your ISP/Fiber provider. Check with them for any issues.

Do you have any nearby neighbors using the same provider? Check with them too.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have metal siding and the router is currently in my basement so the signal outside of the house is very poor. Thanks in advance.
I have a Netgear cable wifi router. Just got it.

Believe it or not, 2.5 travels through walls better because the waves are longer than 5g. I switched to 2.5.

The metal siding makes your house a Faraday cage.

Ours is stucco with chickenwire base. Does the same thing.