• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New Device Can Heal With a Single Touch

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
A new device developed at The Ohio State University can start healing organs in a "fraction of a second," researchers say.

The technology, known as Tissue Nanotransfection (TNT), has the potential to save the lives of car crash victims and even deployed soldiers injured on site. It's a dime-sized silicone chip that "injects genetic code into skin cells, turning those skin cells into other types of cells required for treating diseased conditions," according to a release.

In lab tests, one touch of TNT completely repaired injured legs of mice over three weeks by turning skin cells into vascular cells.

And, it not only works on skin cells, it can restore any type of tissue, Chandan Sen, director of the Center for Regenerative Medicine and Cell-Based Therapies, said. For example, the technology restored brain function in a mouse who suffered a stroke by growing brain cells on its skin.

This is a breakthrough technology, because it's the first time cells have been reprogrammed in a live body. Current cell therapy methods are high risk, like those that introduce a virus, and include multiple steps, a new study published in Nature Nanotechnology points out. There are no known side effects to TNT and treatment is less than a second, Sen said.

“This technology does not require a laboratory or hospital and can actually be executed in the field," Sen said. "It’s less than 100 grams to carry and will have a long shelf life.”

It is awaiting FDA approval, but Sen, who has been working on this for four years, expects TNT will be tested on humans within the year. He says he's talking with Walter Reed National Medical Center now.

"We are proposing the use of skin as an agricultural land where you can essentially grow any cell of interest," Sen said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...uch-and-even-repair-brain-injuries/537326001/

Robots, clones, instant repairs, what's coming from the bio-maniacs next?

BF

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Is it just me or can anyone else envision this technology, if true, to be weaponized?

A dime-sized silicone chip that "injects genetic code into skin cells, turning those skin cells into other types of cells required for treating diseased conditions" can also be used to instantaneously infect someone with a deadly cancer too or worse yet, a mutated zombie-like creature.

the_shootist

Molon Labe!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Is it just me or can anyone else envision this technology, if true, to be weaponized?

A dime-sized silicone chip that "injects genetic code into skin cells, turning those skin cells into other types of cells required for treating diseased conditions" can also be used to instantaneously infect someone with a deadly cancer too or worse yet, a mutated zombie-like creature.
If something can be misused and abused human beings will find a way so yes, be careful what we wish for....we might just get it

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
If something can be misused and abused human beings will find a way
What, in life, does that not apply to? I can't really think of much that couldn't be used for nefarious purposes, if one was bent on destruction. It's a good thing that the vast majority of people aren't.
...but yea, if that thing had a "cancer" setting, it prolly wouldn't be a good thing. lol

the_shootist

Molon Labe!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
What, in life, does that not apply to? I can't really think of much that couldn't be used for nefarious purposes, if one was bent on destruction. It's a good thing that the vast majority of people aren't.
...but yea, if that thing had a "cancer" setting, it prolly wouldn't be a good thing. lol
The more exotic the methods available the more terrifying the potential for destruction becomes.

"
In vivo reprogramming. The areas to be treated were first depilated 24–48 h before
TNT. The skin was then exfoliated to eliminate the dead/keratin cell layer and expose
nucleated cells in the epidermis. The TNT devices were placed directly over the
exfoliated skin surface. ABM or EFF plasmid cocktails were loaded in the reservoir at
a concentration of 0.05–0.1 μg μl–1. A gold-coated electrode (the cathode) was
immersed in the plasmid solution, and a 24G needle counterelectrode (the anode)
was inserted intradermally, juxtaposed to the TNT platform surface
. Pulsed
electrical stimulation (10 pulses, 250 V in amplitude, duration of 10 ms per pulse)
was then applied across the electrodes to nanoporate the exposed cell membranes
and drive the plasmid cargo into the cells through the nanochannels. ABM plasmids
were mixed at a 2:1:1 molar ratio as described previously11. Unless otherwise
specified, control specimens involved TNT treatments with a blank, phosphate
buffer saline (PBS)/mock plasmid solution (Supplementary Fig. 19).
"
http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nnano.2017.134.html?foxtrotcallback=true

" Topical tissue nano-transfection mediates non-viral stroma reprogramming and rescue "

http://sci-hub.io

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroporation#Physical_mechanism

the_shootist

Molon Labe!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Regenerating skin? Think of how big a boom this could be on the fried pork skin industry! The bottomless bag of fried pork skins!

No seriously, can I send back my circumcision and get my old foreskin back?

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Damn, nick, that looks like it hurt! Yer gonna have ta give up dirt biking.

BF

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Damn, nick, that looks like it hurt! Yer gonna have ta give up dirt biking.

BF
I am now retired from riding bikes after 37 years and thousands of miles. Just too dangerous near me. Some old man turned left in front also and ran me off the road earlier in the year.