• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New Forum, New Server

What do you think of the new forum?

• It is a good move

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • It was a stupid move

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Don't know yet

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Too many buttons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Hey up guys, now that the storms are past, and we are in final stages of setup and getting ready to hit the cruise control,

Moved the last 2 threads on the conversion down to the site activity area.

Let's use this thread for any suggestions, setup issues, missing thread issues and other?

To start,

Avatars resized to larger format
New media albums
added smilies
etc.

For those who have still not changed their bookmark or just trying to get in:

PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:

goldismoney2.com

The old server has been taken down, and is no longer there.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Being electronically challenged I find new to be bothersome. Guess I'll just stick with old, boring and being able to look after myself in the real world. Thanks for the ride.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Being electronically challenged I find new to be bothersome. Guess I'll just stick with old, boring and being able to look after myself in the real world. Thanks for the ride.
Pitw

I found the following video helpful. Hopefully you will too.

Search

Tutorial: Xenforo Forum Software

Published on Nov 12, 2014
A comprehensive tutorial on how to use and navigate a forum running Xenforo Forum Software.

Carl

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'm not gonna vote one way or the other, I'll just say that the default colors hurt my eyes to the point I can't stay too long and the only other color option is unreadable.

Carl

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Base brown makes my right eye throb something fierce.
Default blue makes my eyes feel like they're burning.
And the blue reverse is unreadable.
but that's just me.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Base brown makes my right eye throb something fierce.
Default blue makes my eyes feel like they're burning.
And the blue reverse is unreadable.
but that's just me.
"thou doth protest too much". Maybe that time of the year for the yearly eye checkup?

Carl

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
"thou doth protest too much". Maybe that time of the year for the yearly eye checkup?
I can't go to any doctor, I have no insurance. I'll just have to shorten my visits here until that get a color combination that works for me....

Carl

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have to be honest, that is a new one for me,

So the question then becomes, how did you view the other forum?

TIA?
Sorry, missed your question, I used the Black one on the old forum.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If I could customize my viewing preferences, I would try to make it easier to see the line between messages. The thin line just doesn't make it easy. I would make the line much thicker or alternate background colors between messages. I would also change the quoted text so it is not so small and not italics. I did get some relief by changing my browser's minimum text size.

Thanks for asking.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I like the new format, but would put the New Posts hyperlink on the front instead of going to Forums or using the drop down. I always go to New Posts first, but Alerts might be a better starting point.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
good points someone, as I had to add that line in there to get some differentiation

That I can make more pronounced,

The text issues is a larger animal to deal with, as you must change it across many different areas. I had already upsized the text in the msg boxes to the current, and just hadn't tackled any of the others yet.

Almost like these forum software programs are wrote by young studs with great eyes, and for the old bums like me, need to up the size some

As The_Shootist avatar shows, size matters :panda:

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I can't go to any doctor, I have no insurance. I'll just have to shorten my visits here until that get a color combination that works for me....
Try
control shift A
When going to any new thread

It will highlight the background on the entire page which may be easier on the eyes

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I like the new format, but would put the New Posts hyperlink on the front instead of going to Forums or using the drop down. I always go to New Posts first, but Alerts might be a better starting point.
I saved my bookmark on the forums tab and the new posts are always on my start page (see below)

image.jpeg

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Enlarging text to a useful size is easy in the Firefox and related browsers... Simply use Ctrl+ multiple times until you reach the text size that works best for you. Firefox will then remember that size for future visits.

For Windows users, well, you have to find answers elsewhere.

As to the forum colors, the Default style works best for me. The brown made me sleepy and unfocused while the blue invert is just too difficult for me to see.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
changed the line sizes some to add some definition,
That helps a lot, thanks. Now I can clearly make out the messages.

Before, the line separating the message text and signature area looked a lot like the line between messages.

Carl

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Yes! I like it! Now I see!

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
That's the best of the four - good call

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Cool! Using the GIM Black now. Looks good! I think I still like the Default Style a bit better. Thanks for the extra choice though!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Yep, I just switched to black an I ain't never goin back!

Much easier to see AND the line separating posts is 4x as big!

As for the new digs, I like the simplicity. Don't have to reconfigure anything I post, other than to remove the FB Tweet stuff that gets tossed into the mix. It's a distraction to me.

This place is scary quick too! Don't have to wait for reloading.

Sometimes 'change' is a good thing!

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I like the GIM forum style but have to admit the black is pretty good. too. I may keep it.. I just tried the blue invert and I think my eyes twisted sideways and were trying to come out of their sockets.. :).

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Is it just me or does it seem like some members didn't make it through the other side? Otherwise, I understand why it needed to be done, but like others I liked the old familiar style.

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I don't see the problem other people have with the Blue reverse skin. A dark background (that doesn't flood my eyes with too much light) and white letters is easiest for me. I have two adjustments to Chrome that may make the Blue reverse better. I set the zoom to 125%:

Zoom.jpg

And I increase the font (settings, then scroll down to advanced settings, then scroll down to Web content) from medium to large:

Font size.jpg

That combination makes everything easier to read on my computer. Here is what Blue reverse looks like with my settings:

Blue reverse.jpg

When Scorpio gets bored from having nothing else to work on, I hope he will build a Brown inverse.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Thanks Search. That tutorial talks about stuff I ain't got a clue about. Seems like people are trying to reinvent the wheel with a reinvented hammer.

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I like the GIM Forum style better as the background for text is white. The GIM Black would win if the text background was white not light gray. But really any background would work, I'll adjust to what ever it is.

argentos

Former Boat Owner
Gold Chaser
GIM Black does the business for me!
Enhanced avatars are much better.
Well done Scorp!
!0001.jpg

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I've noticed the past couple of days that when I view it on my phone, that it's PAINFUL to read. The text of the posts only fill the right 1/3 of the screen and so you have to either view in landscape mode or scroll constantly down a couple of pages to actually read anything.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Perhaps making the avatar pics larger had this side-effect?

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've noticed the past couple of days that when I view it on my phone, that it's PAINFUL to read. The text of the posts only fill the right 1/3 of the screen and so you have to either view in landscape mode or scroll constantly down a couple of pages to actually read anything.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Perhaps making the avatar pics larger had this side-effect?
Double tap the text and the text should fill the screen. Does on an Iphone anyway.

Hystckndle

Daguerreotype Fanatic
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Double tap the text and the text should fill the screen. Does on an Iphone anyway.
Works on Android at about 30 % larger for text.
Cool tip EA !

@ Usury, I hear ya.
I almost always resort to landscape anyways.
Just " feels " better to me no matter what the site.
Im old school though, just like " landscape " everything better.
Regards U,
Haystack

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've got the same problem Usury has. I'ts unbelievably annoying. Tapping the screen dies not help. The problem has been keeping me off the forum, which is disappointing. I like all the other changes.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
re the mobile users, I do have an idea re the avs, bear with me as I might be able to create a mobile version that has small avs, while leaving up the large ones for those accessing off large screen.

Give me a bit on it though, as I really want to get thru the whole member list first checking all the profiles to make sure they are accurate. 2/3 of the way thru and have found a large number that had to receive banners and that type of stuff.

S