• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New motorcycle from Yamaha - not quite a Harley!

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Heard about this a while back, it is now being shown. Not something I would want for a few reasons, one being comfort, but then a fast get around ride, for those interested.

2014-Star-Motorcycle-Bolt.jpg

A quote from the link!
As Daytona Bike Week continues, Star Motorcycles introduced a new, stripped-down cruiser dubbed Bolt. Offered in basic and better-trimmed R-Spec form, the Bolt has an old-school appearance at a relatively budget price.
Link > http://autos.yahoo.com/news/yamaha-targets-harley-budget-priced-old-school-cruiser-000000913.html

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

It is blacked out and air-cooled. I am not aware of any other mid or large metric cruiser that is air-cooled. Specific to a narrow target market. Not my taste as I ride an FZ-1.

Last edited by a moderator:

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
It is blacked out and air-cooled. I am not aware of any other mid or large metric cruiser that is air-cooled. Specific to a narrow target market. Not my taste as I ride an FZ-1.
Since either 1999 or 2000 Yamaha has been offering the Air Cooled "Star" line up of Cruisers. Actually it was probably even earlier with the V-Max and Road Star. These are great looking very low maintainance bikes. I have a 2001 V-Star 1100cc shown below. I get a ton of compliments on this bike. Its funny,....most people think its a Harley,....even alot of Harley riders.

Not sure what you mean about comfort Lt Dan? Unless you are refering to having a preferance for a "dresser" or Gold Wing style of bike. For a get around town and day cruises its a really comfortable bike. Even for extended cruises its not bad. I've been on a few extended cruises on this bike with my ex riding bitch and we both were none the worse for wear........... :cool:

P1030743-001 by vichris08, on Flickr

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
When I say comfort, they took a size bike they already make, the V-Star 950 and tried to copy a Harley Sportster. Put external shocks on it, took away the cheap plastic chrome, made the gas tank smaller, put a seat on it only a young person could stand to ride more than an hour, gave it a price tag only a few buck less than the regular 950, and y'all don't understand what I mean by comfort? Oh, and took off the floor boards. Looks like they cut some weight but at the price of comfort.

Here's the regular 950 not the touring model.

2013 Vstar 950.jpg

Same size engine, as the Bolt. Lots of younger riders on the Yamaha forum think it is great, but all seemed to think it is trying to copy Harley, and all seemed to think a hard tail would not give the comfort of the soft tail on the regular 950 and up in the Star line. Most of us older guys even put after market seats on our bikes to get a few more miles at a time in the saddle. I even have a back rest on mine.

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
When I say comfort, they took a size bike they already make, the V-Star 950 and tried to copy a Harley Sportster. Put external shocks on it, took away the cheap plastic chrome, made the gas tank smaller, put a seat on it only a young person could stand to ride more than an hour, gave it a price tag only a few buck less than the regular 950, and y'all don't understand what I mean by comfort? Oh, and took off the floor boards. Looks like they cut some weight but at the price of comfort.

Here's the regular 950 not the touring model.

View attachment 35316

Same size engine, as the Bolt. Lots of younger riders on the Yamaha forum think it is great, but all seemed to think it is trying to copy Harley, and all seemed to think a hard tail would not give the comfort of the soft tail on the regular 950 and up in the Star line. Most of us older guys even put after market seats on our bikes to get a few more miles at a time in the saddle. I even have a back rest on mine.
Ok I see where youre going with this and I agree. No doubt they are trying to copy Harleys Black Denim Sportsters.... but hell, the whole Star lineup is pretty much a copy. Thats part of what has made that linup of bikes so popular.

I'm not so sure the Bolt will do all that well though. Its at about the same price point as the Harley Sportsters. Why buy a copy when you can have the real deal for the same price. BTW I really like what Harley has done with the new Sportsters and that whole black denim linup. Its like the've gone back to their own roots rather than building a bunch of glorified Gold Wing, dresser bikes.

I thought when you said "comfort" you were making the compairison of the Bolt to the newer Sportsters which I dont think will be all that much different. I could be wrong though.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
vichris, The bike I ride is the V-Star 950. I've done a lot to make it mine, including Ultimate seats with rider backrest and sissy bar for wife's comfort, (what little she does climb on). The engine is no slouch, but top speed is around 90+ mph. Not sure as I've never had a reason, at my age to test it further. At highway speeds, on our level ground, we could use a sixth gear, to slow the revs but fuel economy is not bad as is. I normally get around 55 mpg, some tanks better, but never much less.

Yamaha is phasing out the 1100 or already has, but it looks like the 650 custom will be around for a while yet. I looked at both the 650 and 1100 when I bought the 950. The 950 just seemed to fit me better. At the time I wanted a Harley Street Glide, however, I figured for my money, the 950 would do all I needed. What we sometimes want, is not always what is the best fit for us.

I think, chopping the 950 down to the Bolt will appeal to younger people more than an old guy like me. Making it an affordable ride will probably sell it to folks on a tight budget who want to get out there and ride. I can see many wanting to upgrade their seats after putting in a few hours on one though. The seat height is actually higher than it is on the 950, while wheel base is shorter, makes for less comfort as well, but perhaps a shorter turning radius.

Here is a picture of the Bolt with a rider, notice that the lean angle does not seem extreme yet the lady looks like her peg is dragging. Not that it is a bad thing, I do it sometimes, kinda surprising when you're not expecting it.

2014 bolt n rider.jpg

BUILT TO LAST

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
My buddy Bob just got one of these, his old TW 200 won't quite hit highway speed and he was tired of that. (so were we lol)

View attachment 35312
http://powersports.honda.com/dual-sport/2013/crf250l.aspx

Looks like a great addition to the dual sport world, a well thought out modern bike.

With my wife and Bob both on 250's it won't take all day to get places! yeah I'm a jerk I know.

Mrs Irons XT250

View attachment 35313

That crf250l looks like a nice modern bike at a good price with a low seat, six speeds & fuel injection but it needs to go on the same diet my DRZ400 did :hmmmm2:

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
vichris, The bike I ride is the V-Star 950. I've done a lot to make it mine, including Ultimate seats with rider backrest and sissy bar for wife's comfort, (what little she does climb on). The engine is no slouch, but top speed is around 90+ mph. Not sure as I've never had a reason, at my age to test it further. At highway speeds, on our level ground, we could use a sixth gear, to slow the revs but fuel economy is not bad as is. I normally get around 55 mpg, some tanks better, but never much less.

Yamaha is phasing out the 1100 or already has, but it looks like the 650 custom will be around for a while yet. I looked at both the 650 and 1100 when I bought the 950. The 950 just seemed to fit me better. At the time I wanted a Harley Street Glide, however, I figured for my money, the 950 would do all I needed. What we sometimes want, is not always what is the best fit for us.

I think, chopping the 950 down to the Bolt will appeal to younger people more than an old guy like me. Making it an affordable ride will probably sell it to folks on a tight budget who want to get out there and ride. I can see many wanting to upgrade their seats after putting in a few hours on one though. The seat height is actually higher than it is on the 950, while wheel base is shorter, makes for less comfort as well, but perhaps a shorter turning radius.

Here is a picture of the Bolt with a rider, notice that the lean angle does not seem extreme yet the lady looks like her peg is dragging. Not that it is a bad thing, I do it sometimes, kinda surprising when you're not expecting it.
I've owned both the 650 and the 1100 V-Stars. I had a couple of Harleys back in the 70's and then got married and raised a family during the 80's and 90's. When I decided to get back on a bike in 1999 I bought the 650 V-Star. I upgraded to a very slightly used 2001 1100 V-Star in 2002. I did the same thing, made it mine. I ride it alot around town during the warmer months mostly for fuel savings. I get about 42-50 mpg depending on driving conditions. I do take it on some longer highway cruises every year, and of course most of the local poker/toy runs around town and the local area.

Ya I had heard the 1100 was being phased out. It's funny, just a few years ago bigger was better with most bike Mfgs. Times are changing. Its hard to believe I've had my bike for 11 years now. It's reliable, fits me to a tee, and I see no need to change.....at least not for awhile.

Last edited:

Ishkabibble

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'm still angry that a made in America Harley isn't. http://thekneeslider.com/harley-dav...a-to-complete-factory-using-local-components/

Far as I'm concerned, I won't support the organization that built itself on the Made in America image, then turned on it's workers by shipping so much of it's production off shore. It's a personal affront and I won't EVER buy a Harley because of it.

There are US and Canadian companies that produce awesome bikes within our nations. One I appreciate is http://www.cherrycustoms.com/. Here's an example of a custom from Cherry. It's a pic taken during the bike's manufacture. My money will go to companies like this, the ones that keep our people employed, instead of shipping our jobs to India and such.

CherryCustomsProd3.jpg

The_Head

Seeker
Seeker

I owned a 1997 YZF1000R back in the day so I've been wanting an FZ1 for the longest time. I haven't been able to find one in my price range so I make do with a VFR800 that I got in a trade. I traded a Sportster for it actually.

Harleys are nice bikes, but I can settle for a Japanese cruiser and not feel guilty about it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
That new Yamaha looks like one of the few cruisers that might tempt me to try a laid-back riding position. Low bars certainly help, as far as appealing to this ol' cafe racer.

I still figure my point of balance is up on my knees... set-backs and clip-ons or clubmans were always more comfortable to me, not to mention feeling more in control.

That even crossed over for me from road to river. Never could get my balance sitting in a kayak, but I did just fine kneeling in a whitewater canoe.