• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New Research Confirms We Got Cholesterol All Wrong

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Healthcare, just one of a thousand things government gets wrong.

New Research Confirms We Got Cholesterol All Wrong
The U.S. government has pushed a lot of bad nutrition advice over the years. Maybe it should stop advising us on what to eat.
Baylen Linnekin | September 22, 2018

James Burger/agefotostock/NewscomA comprehensive new study on cholesterol, based on results from more than a million patients, could help upend decades of government advice about diet, nutrition, health, prevention, and medication. Just don't hold your breath.

The study, published in the Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology, centers on statins, a class of drugs used to lower levels of LDL-C, the so-called "bad" cholesterol, in the human body. According to the study, statins are pointless for most people.

"No evidence exists to prove that having high levels of bad cholesterol causes heart disease, leading physicians have claimed" in the study, reports the Daily Mail. The Expresslikewise says the new study finds "no evidence that high levels of 'bad' cholesterol cause heart disease."

The study also reports that "heart attack patients were shown to have lower than normal cholesterol levels of LDL-C" and that older people with higher levels of bad cholesterol tend to live longer than those with lower levels.

This is probably news to many in government. But it's not news to everyone.

"In fact researchers have known for decades from nutrition studies that LDL-C is not strongly correlated with cardiac risk," says Nina Teicholz, an investigative journalist and author of The New York Times bestseller The Big Fat Surprise(along with a great recent Wall St. Journal op-ed highlighting ongoing flaws in federal dietary advice). In an email to me this week, she pointed out that "physicians continue focusing on LDL-C in part because they have drugs to lower it. Doctors are driven by incentives to prescribe pills for nutrition-related diseases rather than better nutrition—a far healthier and more natural approach."

Cholesterol in our diets comes from animals and animal products—including eggs, meat, fish, and dairy. The government told us for decades that these foods were, to varying degrees, dangerous.

Federal dietary policy is shaped by the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC), which meets every five years to update its findings. The government touts the DGAC and the dietary guidelines it develops as "an important resource to help our Nation reach its highest standard of health."

The federal government's war on cholesterol, as early DGAC recommendations suggest, dates back decades. For example, the 1995 DGAC report stressed the dangers of dietary cholesterol.

"Most people are aware that high levels of saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet are linked to increased blood cholesterol levels and a greater risk for heart disease," it declares. "Choosing foods with less cholesterol and saturated fat will help lower your blood cholesterol levels."

Only in 2015 did federal dietary guidelines (mostly) halt the assault on cholesterol. Many hailed the news, while still stressing that high cholesterol levels in our bloodstreams is still a danger.

"There's a growing consensus among nutrition scientists that cholesterol in food has little effect on the amount of cholesterol in the bloodstream," a Harvard Medical School blog post noted that same year. "And that's the cholesterol that matters."

"The government's new stance on dietary cholesterol is in line with that of other nations, which do not single out cholesterol as an issue," the Washington Post reported following the release of the most recent dietary guidelines in 2016. "Yet it should not be confused with officials' continued warning about high levels of 'bad' cholesterol in the blood—something that has been clearly linked to heart disease."

But this most recent study is throwing cold water on many of those continued government warnings about blood cholesterol.

What's more, if bad cholesterol isn't so bad, then the benefits of so-called good cholesterol are also under assault. Recently, LDL, the so-called "good" cholesterol, was itself deemed suspect in some cases.
Dietary fat also appears not to be the danger the government says it is. Another new study, reported on by Ron Bailey this week, suggests, as he writes, that the federal government's warnings to avoid dairy products that are high in fat "is bunk."

I'm not a nutritionist. I don't know if the science on cholesterol is settled. But the federal government has warned us for decades about cholesterol in our bodies and in our food. The fact those warnings are now changing means the government has, despite what I'm sure are the good intentions of everyone involved, been handing out poor dietary advice and developing regulations that reflect that poor advice.

I'm one of many who has called out the DGAC and the federal government for foisting "decades of confusing and often-contradictory dietary advice" upon the American public. I also suggested, in a column last year, that one way the government might back up its claims to possess invaluable and unparalleled expertise in the areas of food policy and nutrition would be stop regularly reversing or altering its recommendations.

"The reason that we don't know about these huge reversals in dietary advice is that the nutrition establishment is apparently loathe to make public their major reversals in policy," Teicholz says. "The low-fat diet is another example: neither the AHA or the dietary guidelines recommend a low-fat diet anymore. But they have yet to announce this to the American public. And some in the establishment are still fighting to retain the low-fat status quo."

I am not your doctor, nor your nutritionist. I have no idea what you should eat. Maybe the government should adopt that mantra, too.

https://reason.com/archives/2018/09/22/new-research-confirms-we-got-cholesterol

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Interesting to me is this whole high cholesterol thing being fake bubbled to the top when the patents on the drugs started expiring.

Fort Knox hospital had an average cholesterol goal. Hence just about everybody was prescribed drugs to lower it.
Now we have a Type II diabetes epidemic, in which those same drugs seem to have a finger in.

Take charge of your own health. You should not be a chemistry experiment for the government.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Dietary fat also appears not to be the danger the government says it is.
I have been a Keto/Paleo (The old Atkins type) diet for a long time. I feel much better & I have lost 30 lbs. in 5 months.
If we were not meant to eat meat, then why do we have the teeth & digestive system that we do ???
Some of my findings that seem to be reasonable are:
As we age, we need some extra cholesterol in our blood vessels to strengthen them from the age hardening & thinning and therefore, preventing strokes (subarachnoid hemorrhage).

Then a bit of high blood pressure is required to keep the flow proper.

The Croatians have some of the highest cholesterol & highest blood pressure of any group on earth, they ALSO having some of the highest longevity.
I think we have been lied to by big pharma, but what's new :totally steamed:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I am going to pass this along to MySonTheDoctor and see what he knows about it.
And of course, Unca, you will report back to us ? :2 thumbs up:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
You betcha!

He is an EXCELLENT doctor. He once told me that I should never let bullets enter my body.

Good advice that I did not take... :don't know:

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I have been a Keto/Paleo (The old Atkins type) diet for a long time. I feel much better & I have lost 30 lbs. in 5 months.
If we were not meant to eat meat, then why do we have the teeth & digestive system that we do ???
Some of my findings that seem to be reasonable are:
As we age, we need some extra cholesterol in our blood vessels to strengthen them from the age hardening & thinning and therefore, preventing strokes (subarachnoid hemorrhage).

Then a bit of high blood pressure is required to keep the flow proper.

The Croatians have some of the highest cholesterol & highest blood pressure of any group on earth, they ALSO having some of the highest longevity.
I think we have been lied to by big pharma, but what's new :totally steamed:
Same here. I've been hard Keto/Paleo/Carnivore for a number of months now. I eat mostly beef, pork, chicken, fish and eggs and HQ fats, with a moderate amount of peripheral dairy (cheese, sour cream, heavy cream) and vegetables, fruit and nuts. I would say, by volume, my diet is 80% meat and eggs. Here are my results, which I have been tracking closely: A) Fatigue is much improved, B) Body Aches, much improved, C) Migraines are gone!, D) Gastro-esophageal reflux is much better, E) Spastic esophagus is way better, F) Digestion is much improved, G) Allergies are better, H) I'm much less irritable, nervous and have less anxiety, I) I'm sleeping like a baby, now, like easily 7-8 hours straight, J) Hunger is more moderate, K) I'm thinking more clearly, L) Hemorrhoids are less bothersome, fewer flare-ups, (are hemorrhoids maybe a result of inflammation? Less inflammation, fewer flare-ups?) M) Now, this one is interesting, but if I wake up to pee at night, I can go much more easily, the flow is great, which is a relief. N) Last, my BS and BP readings are better; not phenomenal, but better (I'm diabetic with high blood pressure). My weight is slightly down, but I've been hitting the iron three times a week, so I'm certain my body composition is better. The muscle is thicker and more density. This stuff is from my notebook. I've been watching closely and tracking everything. So, this all being anecdotal, take it with the proverbial grain of Himalayan salt, but this is my personal experience. I should also point out that I've been using this diet with a significant amount of intermittent fasting. I eat little or no breakfast, a light, metabolically neutral lunch around noon or so and a good dinner around five or six. Not a huge dinner. Then, no food till the next day. Breakfast is usually a mug of coffee, hot or cold with cream, Ghirardelli cocao and stevia. Sometimes I'll blend up some cocoa butter in my hot coffee. Man is that good!

Last edited:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Same here. I've been hard Keto/Paleo/Carnivore for a number of months now. I eat mostly beef, pork, chicken, eggs and HQ fats, with a moderate amount of peripheral dairy (cheese, sour cream, heavy cream) and vegetables, fruit and nuts. I would say, by volume, my diet is 80% meat and eggs. Here are my results, which I have been tracking closely: A) Fatigue is much improved, B) Body Aches, much improved, C) Migraines are gone!, D) Gastro-esophageal reflux is much better, E) Spastic esophagus is way better, F) Digestion is much improved, G) Allergies are better, H) I'm much less irritable, nervous and have less anxiety, I) I'm sleeping like a baby, now, like easily 7-8 hours straight, J) Hunger is more moderate, K) I'm thinking more clearly, L) Hemorrhoids are less bothersome, free flare-ups, M) Now, this one is interesting, but if I wake up to pee at night, I can go much more easily, the flow is great, which is a relief. N) Last, my BS and BP readings are better; not phenomenal, but better. My weight is slightly down, but I've been hitting the iron three times a week, so I'm certain my body composition is better. The muscle is thicker and more density. This stuff is from my notebook. I've been watching closely and tracking everything. So, this all being anecdotal, take it with the proverbial grain of Himalayan salt, but this is my personal experience. I should also point out that I've been using this diet with a significant amount of intermittent fasting. I eat little or no breakfast, a light, metabolically neutral lunch around noon or so and a good dinner around five or six. Not a huge dinner. Then, no food till the next day. Breakfast is usually a mug of coffee, hot or cold with cream, Ghirardelli cocao and stevia. Sometimes I'll blend up some cocoa butter in my hot coffee. Man is that good!

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So this means eating some of the worlds perfect foods is actually smart; eggs, avacados, olives, etc and this does NOT mean that bacon wrapped fried mozzarella sticks corn battered with brown sugar topping is a tangible daily snack right?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I eat little or no breakfast,
This is the only place that my diet differs from yours. I eat a bacon & egg scramble, with pepper jack cheese & a little homemade Sriracha/mayo squirted on top. Sometimes I add a few chopped mushrooms. :green tea:

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I think it's possible that bacon and eggs has everything you need to be healthy and fit, forever. Plus coffee, of course and a shot or two of Makers in the evening.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
and this does NOT mean that bacon wrapped fried mozzarella sticks corn battered with brown sugar topping is a tangible daily snack right?
Just knock off the corn batter. But as Mrs. T. says "everything in moderation" ! :oriental:

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
This is the only place that my diet differs from yours. I eat a bacon & egg scramble, with pepper jack cheese & a little homemade Sriracha/mayo squirted on top. Sometimes I add a few chopped mushrooms. :green tea:
Nothing wrong with that. I might have a bit of bacon and an egg or two, if I'm really hungry in the morning. Sometimes I think I might not get enough calories in the evening. Otherwise, sometimes I'll do the big everything omelet routine for dinner. Bacon or ham, with peppers, onions and tomato omelet, with cheese on top, homemade guacamole and salsa on the side.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I think it's possible that bacon and eggs has everything you need to be healthy and fit, forever. Plus coffee, of course and a shot or two of Makers in the evening.
....... and a shot or two of Makers in the evening.
....... and a glass or two of red wyhine in the evening. :green tea:

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
RARE/MED RARE RIBEYE OF COURSE !!!
WAITRESS: And for you, sir?
JOHN: I’ll have the top sirloin.
WAITRESS: And how would you like that cooked.
JOHN: Just whack off the horns, wipe its ass, and throw it on the plate.
WAITRESS: Rare?
JOHN: Rare.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Oh yeah, just a note on your comment about cholesterol, above. I think, as long as you keep your inflammation in check by limiting sugars, alcohol and starches in your diet, your cholesterol will normalize itself and won't ge any kind of problem in your body. Just my most humble opinion.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
WAITRESS: And for you, sir?
JOHN: I’ll have the top sirloin.
WAITRESS: And how would you like that cooked.
JOHN: Just whack off the horns, wipe its ass, and throw it on the plate.
WAITRESS: Rare?
JOHN: Rare.

I once sent back a "rare" ribeye that was BROWN all the way through. The cook was a female, with an attitude (probably wore a "pink hat" The next one had hit the grill for 10 seconds, flipped, plated & presentment, still purple inside. I ate it out of spite, not too bad too !

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Oh yeah, just a note on your comment about cholesterol, above. I think, as long as you keep your inflammation in check by limiting sugars, alcohol and starches in your diet, your cholesterol will normalize itself and won't ge any kind of problem in your body. Just my most humble opinion.
Through self education, I found C-reactive protein (CRP) to be more important than cholesterol. To control it, simply take one 81mg aspirin each day. I have a problem with aspirin, so I take one every other day or so.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The problem with bacon isn't the bacon, it's all the laboratory chemicals that are added to mass-produced supermarket bacon. Especially sodium nitrate.
Bacon is readily available, uncured, no nitrates, no antibiotices, (and for the gluten bitches ) no gluten - no nothing. and it's delicious.
Same with Adelle's sausage

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
So this means eating some of the worlds perfect foods is actually smart; eggs, avacados, olives, etc and this does NOT mean that bacon wrapped fried mozzarella sticks corn battered with brown sugar topping is a tangible daily snack right?
Daily is the key word... today we have access to many foods that the yesteryear population could only dream of... "To much of a good thing can be disasterous" is a good reminder when it come to eating & dieting wisely & smartly. Everyday shouldnt be Thanksgiving Day. We still eat pies, cakes, & other supposedly nonhealthy foods, we just dont consume these foods very often ...

If I hadnt been diagnosed with CVD I would be using the Keto diet... Post my CABG my Cardiologist advised me that cardiac patients should not use the Keto diet as he said it stresses the heart muscle more than other diets... Recently BPA which is a synthetic female hormon used in plastics and also as a protective liner in Aluminum & Tin food & beverage cans has been linked to corrupting insulin production, causing diabetes & possibly the feminization of males... This is just more ammo in the argument to eat fresh foods avoiding processed & canned beverages & foods... stay away from beverages, etc. packed in plastic, as these are high risk for concentrations of BPA...

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I once sent back a "rare" ribeye that was BROWN all the way through. The cook was a female, with an attitude (probably wore a "pink hat" The next one had hit the grill for 10 seconds, flipped, plated & presentment, still purple inside. I ate it out of spite, not too bad too !
Yeah, you get purple meat when your order it 'blue' as opposed to rare. I tried it a few times - it's ok. a bit too tough ... but blood rare makes me salivate

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Bacon is readily available, uncured, no nitrates, no antibiotices, (and for the gluten bitches ) no gluten - no nothing. and it's delicious.
Same with Adelle's sausage

AKA, belly walls ! Adelle also makes great chicken sausages.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
stay away from beverages, etc. packed in plastic, as these are high risk for concentrations of BPA...
Bob, how the hell can a person do that ? Almost EVERTHING is packaged in plastic, even produce, so they can put the UPC code on it !
Cheese, meats, bakery stuff, ..... are packaged in plastic too!

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Daily is the key word... today we have access to many foods that the yesteryear population could only dream of... "To much of a good thing can be disasterous" is a good reminder when it come to eating & dieting wisely & smartly. Everyday shouldnt be Thanksgiving Day. We still eat pies, cakes, & other supposedly nonhealthy foods, we just dont consume these foods very often ...

If I hadnt been diagnosed with CVD I would be using the Keto diet... Post my CABG my Cardiologist advised me that cardiac patients should not use the Keto diet as he said it stresses the heart muscle more than other diets... Recently BPA which is a synthetic female hormon used in plastics and also as a protective liner in Aluminum & Tin food & beverage cans has been linked to corrupting insulin production, causing diabetes & possibly the feminization of males... This is just more ammo in the argument to eat fresh foods avoiding processed & canned beverages & foods... stay away from beverages, etc. packed in plastic, as these are high risk for concentrations of BPA...
"Too much of a good thing can be disastrous." True and eating the junk in moderation and on rare occasions isn't a metabolic disaster. Every seven to ten days, I'll have a free for all meal with anything I want. Pizza, pasta, burgers and fries, a pile of corn tortillas and home made chili with cheese, ice cream, beer, anything! Then, it's back on track.

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
"Too much of a good thing can be disastrous." True and eating the junk in moderation and on rare occasions isn't a metabolic disaster. Every seven to ten days, I'll have a free for all meal with anything I want. Pizza, pasta, burgers and fries, a pile of corn tortillas and home made chili with cheese, ice cream, beer, anything! Then, it's back on track.
We take one day a week and eat whatever we want, as much as we want on that day... it keeps food burn out from occurring. After a while it becomes plain hard to consume the junk foods & beverages, they just dont taste very good after eating & drinking healthy...

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yeah, you get purple meat when your order it 'blue' as opposed to rare. I tried it a few times - it's ok. a bit too tough ... but blood rare makes me salivate
Have you ever tried this for your ribeye. The times mentioned are for a ribeye that is 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch thick. Reduce the oven time for a thinner steak.
Season it with just kosher salt & fresh ground pepper. Place a dry cast iron skillet in the oven, turn the oven to 500 deg's. When the oven reaches 500, take it out and set it on a large burner, set on high. Put the ribeye in for 1 1/2 minutes, per side. Then back into the 500 deg. oven for 2 minutes, per side, remove, cover for 2 minutes & have an orgy !!
:dancing guy:beer:

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Have you ever tried this for your ribeye. The times mentioned are for a ribeye that is 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch thick. Reduce the oven time for a thinner steak.
Season it with just kosher salt & fresh ground pepper. Place a dry cast iron skillet in the oven, turn the oven to 500 deg's. When the oven reaches 500, take it out and set it on a large burner, set on high. Put the ribeye in for 1 1/2 minutes, per side. Then back into the 500 deg. oven for 2 minutes, per side, remove, cover for 2 minutes & have an orgy !!
:dancing guy:beer:
I knew a guy who was a chef, haven't seen him in awhile. That is exactly the procedure he told me to use for the perfect steak. He said those last two minutes before serving were crucial.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I knew a guy who was a chef, haven't seen him in awhile. That is exactly the procedure he told me to use for the perfect steak. He said those last two minutes before serving were crucial.
YUP, it's called, "letting it rest", as we all know how important a good "rest" can be !

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just knock off the corn batter. But as Mrs. T. says "everything in moderation" ! :oriental:
That's right, and why I let myself get forced into eating an apricot fruit pie this AM when they were out of egg sammies. My arm was twisted something fierce I tell ya! Then I pulled the bacon egg and cheese brioche I got at SONIC yesterday. I'm fattening up for fall apparently.