• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New Research Confirms We Got Cholesterol All Wrong

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Easier said than done !:gracious:
Mike Dolce says that after eating you should be able to go for a 45 minute jog. My habits ingrained by my mom and her Great Depression era father were to gobble till it's gone! VERY HARD habit to break!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
An old favorite !

You are what you eat,
Said a wise old man.
Yee gawds,
If that's true,
I'm a garbage can !
Then Spinalcracker must be a psychoactive egg by now! hehe

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Mike Dolce says that after eating you should be able to go for a 45 minute jog. My habits ingrained by my mom and her Great Depression era father were to gobble till it's gone! VERY HARD habit to break!
NM, we must have had the same parents ! I was not allowed dessert until our plate was "clean". Also mom would say "there are starving children in China that would love your food". So when I married a full on Chinese gal & mom came to live with us, I would mention that ,from time to time, for a good laugh.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I see your neighbor California has worn off a bit onto you. : )
Hey, wait a damned minute !! I heard that looong before California became Kommiefornia !! :belly laugh:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
NM, we must have had the same parents ! I was not allowed dessert until our plate was "clean". Also mom would say "there are starving children in China that would love your food". So when I married a full on Chinese gal & mom came to live with us, I would mention that ,from time to time, for a good laugh.
On a related note a Chinese friend once told me, "Eating time is sloppy time." Manners and etiquette be damned when a Chinaman is flicking rice from bowl to mouth.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hey, wait a damned minute !! I heard that looong before California became Kommiefornia !! :belly laugh:
Like that's TOTALLY not true!

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
When you eat the wrong stuff, you end up living to eat. When you eat the right stuff, it's much easier to eat to live. Even if you're eating to live, though, it's OK to enjoy the hell outta your food. Bacon and eggs, steak and mushrooms, pork loin and kraut, roast chicken and cole slaw, homemade beef and vegetable soup, onion burgers with sautéed onions, salmon burgers with grilled red peppers; shall I go on? Nope, I've got a big pot of homemade chili on the stove, right now, with beef, garlic sausage, onions, red and yellow peppers, tomatoes and a perfect blend of SOG chili spices. "It's gonna be good (In my vest BBQ Pit Boys voice), oh yeah."
Part of the reason for the foods I've settled on is a lot of experimentation and food elimination, reintroduction, etc. What works is what my body tolerates well. The wife can allow a few things I can't and can't tolerate some things I can. Everybody's different.
Most of the vegetables in the nightshade family (peppers, tomatoes, egg plant, potatoes, etc.) require special preparation before consumption. For instance the skin & seeds of peppers & tomatoes are toxic to hu-mans... these should be removed then eaten or cooked, etc... Other foods such as Mango's are members of the "poison ivy" family, eating to many mango's will cause a person to break out in hives and cause other problems... It's amazing how many foods we eat are toxic if not properly prepped in higher quantities... the blood, liver, kidneys and other organs are stressed to remove these toxins, over time either/and disease developes or the organs begin to fail...

You'll never see a real Italian cook tomatoes making sauces with the skin on & seeds in, now will an authentic Mexican dish be served with bell pepper skins not removed.... DYODD

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
On a related note a Chinese friend once told me, "Eating time is sloppy time." Manners and etiquette be damned when a Chinaman is flicking rice from bowl to mouth.
True story. I was taught totally different eating manners than I learned in a Chinese home and they are very educated & proper, but "Chinese proper". I like the Chinese way ! :oriental:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
True story. I was taught totally different eating manners than I learned in a Chinese home and they are very educated & proper, but "Chinese proper". I like the Chinese way ! :oriental:
:oriental:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
That's right, and why I let myself get forced into eating an apricot fruit pie
Or a homemade blackberry cobbler w/ vanilla ice cream (homemade too):gracious:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Most of the vegetables in the nightshade family (peppers, tomatoes, egg plant, potatoes, etc.) require special preparation before consumption. For instance the skin & seeds of peppers & tomatoes are toxic to hu-mans... these should be removed then eaten or cooked, etc... Other foods such as Mango's are members of the "poison ivy" family, eating to many mango's will cause a person to break out in hives and cause other problems... It's amazing how many foods we eat are toxic if not properly prepped in higher quantities... the blood, liver, kidneys and other organs are stressed to remove these toxins, over time either/and disease developes or the organs begin to fail...

You'll never see a real Italian cook tomatoes making sauces with the skin on & seeds in, now will an authentic Mexican dish be served with bell pepper skins not removed.... DYODD
I don't really have too many problems, that I know of from eating tomato and peppers with the skin on them. I might have to just change that up. As a rule, I don't eat too many vegetables, anymore. I use them more for flavor, texture and color in my food. You know, an omelet with peppers, onions and cheese is more appetizing than a plain omelet, with just cheese. And chili is better with tomato, peppers and onion in it. Even so, it doesn't pay to stress the body systems by making the organs deal with toxins that are not necessary. Good points.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I am going to pass this along to MySonTheDoctor and see what he knows about it.
Just to set this up for you... Mrs. Fenz is a rad tech in the cardiac cath lab here at the U of I. Has been for many years. She also has the dubious distinction of being from an immediate family with the most registered pharmacists (5) of any in the state. Needless to say, she's all about the meds and will never understand my resistance.

Anywhoo... Any time that I hear some medical news I run it past her- in fairness, sometimes I poke it at her like I did again this time. Only this time it was twice in as many days. The day or two before this study there was another one in her bailiwick that called BS to their baby aspirin a day mantra. So yes, it was like a double gut punch. She didn't throw any pots and pans but I instinctively ducked and covered anyway. Good times.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I don't really have too many problems, that I know of from eating tomato and peppers with the skin on them. I might have to just change that up. As a rule, I don't eat too many vegetables, anymore. I use them more for flavor, texture and color in my food. You know, an omelet with peppers, onions and cheese is more appetizing than a plain omelet, with just cheese. And chili is better with tomato, peppers and onion in it. Even so, it doesn't pay to stress the body systems by making the organs deal with toxins that are not necessary. Good points.
Ya, BUT,
Everything I like, is ether illegal, immoral or fattening !!!
:green tea:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Glycoalkaloids; BTW Potatoes are also nightshades. They effect different people differently too.

IMO fruits and vegetables are highly important to our overall health because of the natural source of micronutrients they provide. Most of us are too focused on the MACROnutrients when it's the MICRO's that really fill in the gaps and provide the body with super essential trace elements that it needs to complete certain vital tasks. Thus a good variety is suggested with greens being the fundamental source. Kale/spinach and beets are some of the best superfoods imo.

The dirty dozen is what I pay most attention to in terms of danger to health. I try to wash/soak in vinegar/water any fruit or veggies that do'nt get pealed

1537647254256.png

The dirty dozen and clean 15 of produce
By Jackie Pou
May 13, 2010
A new report issued by the President’s Cancer Panel recommends eating produce without pesticides to reduce your risk of getting cancer and other diseases. And according to the Environmental Working Group (an organization of scientists, researchers and policymakers), certain types of organic produce can reduce the amount of toxins you consume on a daily basis by as much as 80 percent.
The group put together two lists, “The Dirty Dozen” and “The Clean 15,” to help consumers know when they should buy organic and when it is unnecessary. These lists were compiled using data from the United States Department of Agriculture on the amount of pesticide residue found in non-organic fruits and vegetables after they had been washed.
The fruits and vegetables on “The Dirty Dozen” list, when conventionally grown, tested positive for at least 47 different chemicals, with some testing positive for as many as 67. For produce on the “dirty” list, you should definitely go organic — unless you relish the idea of consuming a chemical cocktail. “The Dirty Dozen” list includes:

• celery
  • peaches
  • strawberries
  • apples
  • domestic blueberries
  • nectarines
  • sweet bell peppers
  • spinach, kale and collard greens
  • cherries
  • potatoes
  • imported grapes
  • lettuce
All the produce on “The Clean 15” bore little to no traces of pesticides, and is safe to consume in non-organic form. This list includes:
  • onions
  • avocados
  • sweet corn
  • pineapples
  • mango
  • sweet peas
  • asparagus
  • kiwi fruit
  • cabbage
  • eggplant
  • cantaloupe
  • watermelon
  • grapefruit
  • sweet potatoes
  • sweet onions
Why are some types of produce more prone to sucking up pesticides than others? Richard Wiles, senior vice president of policy for the Environmental Working Group says, “If you eat something like a pineapple or sweet corn, they have a protection defense because of the outer layer of skin. Not the same for strawberries and berries.”
The President’s Cancer Panel recommends washing conventionally grown produce to remove residues. Wiles adds, “You should do what you can do, but the idea you are going to wash pesticides off is a fantasy. But you should still wash it because you will reduce pesticide exposure.”
Remember, the lists of dirty and clean produce were compiled after the USDA washed the produce using high-power pressure water systems that many of us could only dream of having in our kitchens.
The full list contains 49 types of produce, rated on a scale of least to most pesticide residue. You can check out the full list from on the Environmental Working Group’s website at www.foodnews.org.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/health/the-dirty-dozen-and-clean-15-of-produce/616/

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Ya, BUT,
Everything I like, is ether illegal, immoral or fattening !!!
:green tea:
Hey, I hear ya brother. I could live on Donato's edge to edge pepperoni pizza, five guys burgers and them awesome fries, rich, creamy ice cream, brownies, cinnamon rolls, chocolate cake with peanut butter icing and nice dark ales. I could, but I shouldn't.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hey, I hear ya brother. I could live on Donato's edge to edge pepperoni pizza, five guys burgers and them awesome fries, rich, creamy ice cream, brownies, cinnamon rolls, chocolate cake with peanut butter icing and nice dark ales. I could, but I shouldn't.
An old buddy of mine would sing this line, "If Ring-Ding's are so bad for you how come they taste so good?"

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm a glutton for what around here is called the Hangover burger and at Smitty's Garage burger joint is the "Eggonator" which is a nice juicy bacon cheeseburger with a fried egg, lettuce and tomato. YO!

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I'm a glutton for what around here is called the Hangover burger and at Smitty's Garage burger joint is the "Eggonator" which is a nice juicy bacon cheeseburger with a fried egg, lettuce and tomato. YO!
Sounds very edible! As a matter of fact, if they would serve that baby with some home fries it would be awesome.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sounds very edible! As a matter of fact, if they would serve that baby with some home fries it would be awesome.
Fresh cut string fries in a boat. (Looks at watch)
1537649222707.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Lately I got hooked on French Bread Pizza. I figure maybe if I keep posting about it I'll get full.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Just thought I'd give you guys a gander at a Donatos edge to edge pepperoni pie. All their pizza is excellent and they're headquartered in Ohio, but are spread over ten states, right now. They also have incredible dry rub wings in four flavors. Great food. Nutritional Information _ Donatos Pizza.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just thought I'd give you guys a gander at a Donatos edge to edge pepperoni pie. All their pizza is excellent and they're headquartered in Ohio, but are spread over ten states, right now. They also have incredible dry rub wings in four flavors. Great food. View attachment 111751
I almost asked you about that edge to edge but I was too busy hwakin off to that burger.

PS They aint shy with their ronie.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I almost asked you about that edge to edge but I was too busy hwakin off to that burger.

PS They aint shy with their ronie.
They guarantee 100 slices of pepperoni, but I never bothered to count. I just dig in.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Fresh cut string fries in a boat. (Looks at watch)
View attachment 111748
That looks like a heart stopping, major stroking, cholesterol clogging stack of yummy yummy dead cow... Looks like that may be one worth dieing for!

We usually get a thin crust vegetarian pie from Murphy's on Tuesdays... last Tuesday we ordered a pepperoni pie, the first pepperoni pie in over a year. After not eating pepperoni in a year, that was enuff for me, back to the vegetarian pies. Pep & chaz pies were once one of my favorites.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
That looks like a heart stopping, major stroking, cholesterol clogging stack of yummy yummy dead cow... Looks like that may be one worth dieing for!

We usually get a thin crust vegetarian pie from Murphy's on Tuesdays... last Tuesday we ordered a pepperoni pie, the first pepperoni pie in over a year. After not eating pepperoni in a year, that was enuff for me, back to the vegetarian pies. Pep & chaz pies were once one of my favorites.
For me, pizza isn't pizza without pepperoni. Donatos has an excellent thin crust, that's actually cracker thin, but still chewy. I need to quit thinking about pizza now.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Yeah if you eat more than a few a year. I average about 1 every 3 months.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ok, no meat? One of the best things I've ever eaten was a fallafel pita from someplace in SW CT. I've not had found anything close to it in 20 years. Their tadziki sauce was on point and the combination of flavors was delectable.

1537651866581.png

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Thanks guys, the raised boxes were a, plan ahead for old age, now that we are there, I'm glad I had the foresight.
We do our string beans, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, chili's, spices & some tomatoes in there. Then we have an outdoors fenced garden for more tomatoes, spices, basil & pot.

View attachment 111741
Image-1_2.jpg

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Just thought I'd give you guys a gander at a Donatos edge to edge pepperoni pie. All their pizza is excellent and they're headquartered in Ohio, but are spread over ten states, right now. They also have incredible dry rub wings in four flavors. Great food. View attachment 111751
We make our own, pepperoni & sausage are hidden under mozzarella & pepper jack cheeses !
OOOOOPs this might be a veggie pizza !
pizza.jpg

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
This is the only place that my diet differs from yours. I eat a bacon & egg scramble, with pepper jack cheese & a little homemade Sriracha/mayo squirted on top. Sometimes I add a few chopped mushrooms. :green tea:
SOUNDS Delicious. You can keep the mouserooms though.

TAEZ, If ya don't mind sharing your Sriracha/mayo recipe that would be greatly appreciated. gb

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
"Too much of a good thing can be disastrous." True and eating the junk in moderation and on rare occasions isn't a metabolic disaster. Every seven to ten days, I'll have a free for all meal with anything I want. Pizza, pasta, burgers and fries, a pile of corn tortillas and home made chili with cheese, ice cream, beer, anything! Then, it's back on track.

"Everything in moderation including MODERATION". - Mark Twain

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Check out the October issue of Consumer Report. Big story on banned drugs detected in beef ,poultry, and pork.What you can do about it.
Raise and slaughter your own animals. Sorry cesspool city dwellers...you get to eat the tasty, chemical infused animals.

That's life in the big city!!

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I once sent back a "rare" ribeye that was BROWN all the way through. The cook was a female, with an attitude (probably wore a "pink hat" The next one had hit the grill for 10 seconds, flipped, plated & presentment, still purple inside. I ate it out of spite, not too bad too !
Pittsburgh rare, black on the outside and bloody rare inside, please.