• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New US Mint curved coin

Piggybank

Seeker
Seeker
Seems like junk to me...
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/u-mint-sell-curved-coins-honoring-baseball-hall-202526803--mlb.html

By Laila Kearney

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The United States Mint will begin selling special curved coins this month to honor the National Baseball Hall of Fame, with a design representing the inverse images of a ball and mitt, U.S. Mint officials said on Thursday.

The $5, $1 and half-dollar coins, plated with gold, silver and alloy, are in production at the San Francisco U.S. Mint and will be sold online starting on March 27, agency spokesman Michael White said.

Some 50,000 $5 gold coins, 400,000 $1 silver coins and 750,000 half-dollar alloy-clad coins will be produced.

They will be the first curved coins - concave on the heads side and convex on the reverse - ever minted by the U.S. Mint, according to a statement on the agency's website.

The image of a baseball glove with the words "liberty" and "in God we trust 2014" across the palm is featured on the face of the coins, which commemorate the Baseball Hall of Fame's 75th year in 2014.

.. View gallery
An image of a baseball mitt is seen on a curved $5 …
An image of a baseball is seen on a curved $5 gold National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin …

A baseball is depicted on the tails side, with the words "United States of America" and the coin's value inscribed on it. The tails side also includes the Latin words for "Out of many, one."

Cassie McFarland of San Luis Obispo, California, submitted the winning mitt design for the coin in a 2013 competition that was judged by the Department of the Treasury. U.S. Mint Sculptor-Engraver Don Everhart designed the baseball and the inscriptions on both sides of the coins.

The coins were created as part of the National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin act of 2012 to help fund operations of the independent, not-for-profit educational institution that runs a museum in Cooperstown, New York.

Surcharges on the pieces will be $35 for each gold coin, $10 for a silver coin and $5 for each half-dollar coin and will authorized for payment to the Hall of Fame, the U.S. Mint said.

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
QWAK,It should be good for playing TIDLY WINKS!:idea::thumbs_up::23_28_100s::banana::ban-cha:

the DUCK :s9:

farscott

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I am tempted to buy the $5 gold and $1 silver just because it these are the first curved US Mint coins and I am a huge baseball fan. The premiums are a bit concerning, so I am going to take my time deciding on these.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Unpopular newly minted coins (low mintage) can go on to be collectible numismatics. Not saying I'm going to get one of each, but if you are a collector...

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
QWAK,The new coins are MAGIC coins:yes: --- when you use them they evaporate and return to the mint!:idea::thumbs_up:

That way the mint will never run out of the new coins.:thumb.aspx::cry1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGI436b6Gs

the DUCK:15_1_70v:

squirk

Seeker
Seeker
I received my order form from the US mint today featuring this coin. The $5 gold coin is 90% gold and 10% alloy. The dollar is 90% silver and the half dollar is a nickel and copper amagalmation. Mintage for the gold is 50,000. For the silver, 400,000. The silver offerings are $51.95 for the proof and $47.95 for uncirc. This is introductory pricing and lasts until April 28th. Then it goes to $56.95 and $52.95 respectively.

RUSH2112

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Stupid looking coin.

Looks like something the Royal Canadian Mint would dream up.

Is there an image of a steroid injection needle on it?

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
I might've been interested in a mint set of this design on regular (flat) coins in gold and silver.

Not interested in the curved plated version.

R.

Tig

Seeker
Seeker
Thought a picture might interest some.

There is a lot of discussion on some websites that the gold versions might sell out first day. If it does and the ratio of proofs sold to the mint state coin is high enough it might make the MS gold coin worth owning for a longer term flip. One would have to wait to see the final mintage of each.

These coins will also be the first ever curved coin made by the Mint if that's worth anything.

I do have a feeling the silver and gold coins will sell very well because it's baseball. I'll save you the quote from the movie, Field of Dreams.

Attachments

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I still think 50k is a LOT of 90% gold to sell and I definitely do not see it happening on the first day...week.....month

Silver at 400k is a lot but may be doable....most sales going to the proof

Recent commems just haven't been a great investment. The silver will sell because it's a great conversation piece and there is the baseball thing....I'll get a couple of those but just as collectibles

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The article says the $5 gold is plated, but according to the mint it is a 90/10 alloy. There is just a smidge under 1/4 ounce of gold in it.

I'm going to try to snag a complete set. The fact that many people hate the design makes me think it will have long-term collectibility.

Which has the potential to be more valuable -- Proof or MS?

HaroldS

Seeker
Seeker
The article says the $5 gold is plated, but according to the mint it is a 90/10 alloy. There is just a smidge under 1/4 ounce of gold in it.

I'm going to try to snag a complete set. The fact that many people hate the design makes me think it will have long-term collectibility.

Which has the potential to be more valuable -- Proof or MS?
I'm too old for the long term collectibility. Unc issues on other commemoratives are lower than proofs, and I'm paying more for them than proofs but still only if close to melt. The Jackie Robinson has held up pretty well, and I still dont have that in unc - 5,174 vs 24,072 in proof.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I'll be in line at noon tomorrow.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
If the coin sells out before the end of the year there will be some upside, however after a year or two prices will most likely decline and those who held them too long will have missed their chance to move them. The fact it's the first concave coin is neat and certainly a bit of a wild card factor, but 50k pieces is a LOT of coins these days and if a significant premium were to develop anyone holding them should dump them immediately.

I don't have extra money to speculate at the moment, but even if I did I would pass on this one...

phideaux

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode

Do they mint these farkin' things at Area 51 or what:questionmark:

:36_11_6:
:s13:

:signs14:

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I plan to have a dog and a :beerglass: while in the Mint waiting room.
How's that waiting room supposed to work? Have they ever done this before?

I've got a busy day tomorrow -- are they going to require me to sit at my computer for hours until they offer me a chance to buy one and give me 15 minutes until the offer expires?

Tig

Seeker
Seeker

I've got a busy day tomorrow -- are they going to require me to sit at my computer for hours until they offer me a chance to buy one and give me 15 minutes until the offer expires?

Here is the Mint version. I've had the same question about the 15 minute "logged in" limit.

http://www.usmint.gov/websiteinfo/improvements/?action=Dec2013

And this from Mint News

http://mintnewsblog.com/2013/08/the-us-mints-new-waiting-room/

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner

Good explanation...that's exactly how it works...maybe not "hours" but a painful time period none the less

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Guys, this coin is NOT going to sell out in a day so if you're busy don't change your plans. You can always order one tonight whenever you get home. I've watched the last 10 $5 commen's sell only a few thousand in the first week so there's no way in hell all 50k sell out today. Sure I could be wrong, but in my mind there's less than a .1% chance of this thing selling out within hours.

Meh, I guess we'll know soon enough :)

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I got into the "pre-waiting room" waiting room 10 seconds after it opened.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
In the Waiting Room with 11 minute wait time.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Got the shopping cart "full", and having a terrible time trying to get checked out (site is SLOW... keeps kicking back into the catalog when I try to check out).

I think they let too many people into the store. Checkout can't handle the demand.

Bender

Yea... did the pre waiting room and I got in early with an initial 14 min wait time, the site decided I had some time on my hands and needed a new Que number, so it redirected me to the back of the line and gave me a new 2 hour 37 min wait time. Guess I'll just get them later.

Layla

Stupid looking coin.

It is pretty goofy looking. And it's gonna take up more vault space than a same sized standard coin would. Who is going to want these? Okay, I'm in! :36_2_36:

Yup SLV, the checkout process is buggy. I was in the "waiting room" before noon and then it reset to a 22 minute wait. When it was my turn, after I clicked on the product page, I was logged out of the site for inactivity. :mad: I hit the browser's back button a few times and that worked. Pages were slow to load but once I got to the payment stage it was pretty darn quick to take my money.

Good luck everybody! Maybe these will make nice gifts to kids someday.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Got through! I'll post pictures in a couple/few weeks.

Shortstack

Bain of the Authoritarian Follower
Gold Chaser
I think I will get the proof and incerc gold coins, and 5 each (proof and uncerc) of the silver coins.
That is after my 2 hour and 53 minute waiting time in the penalty box

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
As of 2:20 PM the time is down to 22 minutes.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
I can't believe I went for these.....like a lemming
Tisk tisk... and I know you knew better too ;) :p.

All kidding aside though if enough people actually make this thing sell out there will definitely be upside, but considering how the mint can't seem to sell even 10k $5 gold commen's in recent years I just can't imagine that demand will suddenly quintuple. I'll certainly be watching for those mint numbers next week :)

Tinbox

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Tisk tisk... and I know you knew better too ;) :p.

All kidding aside though if enough people actually make this thing sell out there will definitely be upside, but considering how the mint can't seem to sell even 10k $5 gold commen's in recent years I just can't imagine that demand will suddenly quintuple. I'll certainly be watching for those mint numbers next week :)
I'm torn on whether these have potential for a short term flip. Like you said though the $5 gold commen's don't seem to sell well so the fact that its the first curved coin sold by the mint would probably have to play a big factor for these to sell out quickly.

I'm probably going to pass. They may have good long term potential if they are the only curved coin ever done by the mint, but I'm not in the market for long term numismatics.