• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New US Mint curved coin

Shortstack

Bain of the Authoritarian Follower
Gold Chaser
That was an easy $1,400 bucks. I added an extra uncerc silver coin (six as opposed to five) for a carry piece.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Hey, if they end up just hanging around and dicking their way up to 50k then the cancel box will be my friend.....

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Thought I'd stop by the Mint website to see how everything is going.

When you first enter the site it says items are "on backorder, but you can still place your order." so I clicked on the "buy" button and got on the waiting list. ONE MINUTE. Once inside, everything was still available and all options, clad, silver, gold, proof, ms were still available with an anticipated shipping date of 3/28/14. Wait a minute, that's tomorrow!

I'll wait till next week to see the numbers.

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I received this in the mail as well and it is somewhat interesting, but I have been burned one too many times by the "oh this might be a collectible numismatic" thought. The pucks (besides the first hot springs one), W eagles, SF eagle set, etc. are avoided like the plague by LCSs. It's too hard to predict whats going to be the next ultra high relief and the money/time invested trying to find it burns up any profits made when you do.

Stick with bullion as close to spot as possible.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Both of the Gold coins are now sold out! The wait list for both coins has now been started. About 6 1/2 hours to sellout.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...ctId=17490&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10141

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...ctId=17492&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10141

Some serious flipping is about to start.
I'm fairly certain they aren't sold out yet, but have rather passed the number of coins that were already pressed and ready for shipment. I was just able to add one to my cart and have the ability to pay for it currently. The availability says 'backordered' so there's certainly a chance they're gone, but man for the life of me I just can't imagine them selling 50,000 in less than a day. Keep in mind the mint has a new ordering/inventory system so it's quite possible all the bugs haven't been worked out.

Then again, maybe everyone and their mother really wanted this coin for whatever reason. Crazy I tell ya!

Tig

Seeker
Seeker
This is a partial copy of my order page.

Last Order:
1 2014 BASEBALL HOF UNC $5 GOLD
1 2014 BASEBALL HOF PROOF $5 GOLD
1 UNITED STATES MINT REUSABLE BAG

Subtotal: $845.00

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member

Last Order:

If those things truly sold out in a day, congrats to everyone who purchased them. Take my advice and flip them the day you get them as thousands were probably purchased by other flippers and as with most hot mint releases prices decline in short order after the initial frenzy. Good luck to all who ordered as no doubt the mint is going to take weeks (more likely months) to fulfill all the orders.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My order says "back-ordered" with a ship date of 4/10 on the confirmation e-mail.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The only reason I went for these commems was because they had significant gold content (90% - about 1/4 ounce). This guarantees a floor not too far under the sale price. I would guess that the 10% alloy was necessary due to the strange nature of the curved strike.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

Last Order:

Hmmmmm... I was able to go to the page and add one to the cart and it just says "back-ordered."

I'll be curious to see the ratio of proof/unc.

Tig

Seeker
Seeker
If those things truly sold out in a day, congrats to everyone who purchased them. Take my advice and flip them the day you get them as thousands were probably purchased by other flippers and as with most hot mint releases prices decline in short order after the initial frenzy. Good luck to all who ordered as no doubt the mint is going to take weeks (more likely months) to fulfill all the orders.
I wonder now how long the silver coins will last.

Mint news now has over 650 comments for some interesting reading.

http://mintnewsblog.com/2014/03/2014-national-baseball-hall-of-fame-curved-coins/#comments

wait a moment..

earlier in the thread, you told us theres a

" less then .1% chance this would sell out.'

so it sells out ..and now you are tellng people to take your advice again...and flip them the day they get them ?

OVEY

Guys, this coin is NOT going to sell out in a day so if you're busy don't change your plans. You can always order one tonight whenever you get home. I've watched the last 10 $5 commen's sell only a few thousand in the first week so there's no way in hell all 50k sell out today. ..... in my mind there's less than a .1% chance of this thing selling out within hours.

:)
remind me not to listen to your future advice or " percentage" estimates.

:thumbs_up:

Tinbox

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
They are not sold out genius.

Guys, this coin is NOT going to sell out in a day so if you're busy don't change your plans. You can always order one tonight whenever you get home. I've watched the last 10 $5 commen's sell only a few thousand in the first week so there's no way in hell all 50k sell out today. Sure I could be wrong, but in my mind there's less than a .1% chance of this thing selling out within hours.

Meh, I guess we'll know soon enough :)
That's about as bad as a call can get. Hey, SMG feel's your pain.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
That's about as bad as a call can get. Hey, SMG feel's your pain.
Note: There was no way they were going to sell 50k gold commem's the first day....and they DIDN'T. They are still for sale today

Regarding the "backorder status: the limit for the PF and UNC together is 50 k. They will not have a grip on how many of each will be ordered so they cannot be "in stock" yet...they will determine that after a significant ratio of orders are placed and THEN they will finish minting to 50k.

Edited to add: Well, I will admit to being absolutely wrong on this and my previous "won't sell out" prediction. The waiting list memo is on the order page which means, gulp, that they most definitely are sold out....amazing. The dealers must have had their neighbors and friends ordering 50 each of these...

Silver and clads options are still available

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Note: There was no way they were going to sell 50k gold commem's the first day....and they DIDN'T. They are still for sale today

Regarding the "backorder status: the limit for the PF and UNC together is 50 k. They will not have a grip on how many of each will be ordered so they cannot be "in stock" yet...they will determine that after a significant ratio of orders are placed and THEN they will finish minting to 50k.

BTW, they are still available if you want one as are all the silver and clad versions
According to the consensus of the 700 comments here: http://mintnewsblog.com/2014/03/2014-national-baseball-hall-of-fame-curved-coins/#comments

The gold coins sold out at about 6:00 p.m. yesterday. Those who "purchased" them after this point have "sold out" by these coins in their order history. From what I understand, then Mint is still allowing people to get in the "sold out" line and move into a purchasing position of some of the earlier order prove bad (too many coins, expired credit card, bad address, etc.). I've never bought a new issue like this before, so I'm not exactly how the Mint will address a sell-out, but I would assume they would have some sort of press release on their site, or at least change the status of the coins. But it has only been 20 hours since they went on sale, so I'll give them some time to sort things out.

BTW, they are still available if you want one as are all the silver and clad versions

Note to your Note:

The $5 coins are sold out. That is a fact! & were sold out within 24 hours, more like 10 or 11. You can get on a "waiting list" now that they are SOLD OUT! but don't hold your breath, I doubt anyone on the waiting list will get a gold $5 coin.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
34 "Sold" listings on Ebay right now with the highest price at $621 for proof and $616 for unc.

I think most people opted for proof for $5 more (shiny!), and the unc mintage might be well under 10k total coins.

34 "Sold" listings on Ebay right now with the highest price at $621 for proof and $616 for unc.

I think most people opted for proof for $5 more (shiny!), and the unc mintage might be well under 10k total coins.

That's what I was thinking, so I ordered more of the $5 uncirc! :thumbs_up: :cheerful:

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
That's what I was thinking, so I ordered more of the $5 uncirc! :thumbs_up: :cheerful:
No proof for me. When do you think the Mint will release number of how many of each it made? Are we looking at late summer after everything has been delivered?

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Note to your Note: The $5 coins are sold out. That is a fact!
Yup, that's why I edited it 2 minutes after I posted it....I thought about removing it entirely but decided that would be lame....I'd rather admit i was wrong

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner

The unc's always have lower mintage numbers then the PF's but they also usually sell for less in the aftermarket

I ordered equal quantities of both....we'll see

Tig

Seeker
Seeker
No proof for me. When do you think the Mint will release number of how many of each it made? Are we looking at late summer after everything has been delivered?
We should have an idea of the sales numbers fairly soon if the Mint lists the coin in their weekly update and they probably will. Coin Update publishes that every week. The audited numbers may not come for a long time if the Mint holds true to form. I'm sure a lot of people will want to know the answer to your question so the well published writers will be asking the Mint.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Edited to add: Well, I will admit to being absolutely wrong on this and my previous "won't sell out" prediction. The waiting list memo is on the order page which means, gulp, that they most definitely are sold out....amazing. The dealers must have had their neighbors and friends ordering 50 each of these...

Silver and clads options are still available
Here is the notification:

Waiting List Notice: The number of orders we have taken meets the maximum limit for the 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Uncirculated $5 Gold Coin. You may still place an order for this product, which will go on a waiting list. If a product becomes available because of an order cancellation, we will fulfill orders from the waiting list on a first-come, first-served basis. We cannot provide information about your position on the waiting list.

When we place your order on the waiting list, we will send you an order receipt. This is not a guarantee that you will receive your order. If we are unable to fulfill part or all of your order, you will receive a cancellation or sold-out notification. If you paid by check, you will receive a refund.

If paying by credit card, please be sure your credit card information remains current to avoid any delays in processing your order. If your credit card has expired by the time of shipment, your order will be cancelled. To update credit card information after an order has been placed, you must call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

This is a quote from another Forum.

"Update from the Baltimore Whitman coin show. I arrived in the afternoon right about when the US Mint booth opened up for business to sell these. They sold out of the gold in the first 200 customers . 1 per. The line was wrapped around the convention center lobby.
Here is the kicker. Apmex has a booth here just as a buyer as usual. They walked up and down the line and told everyone if they brought their coins over to the Apmex booth you could walk away with a guaranteed $800 profit for the 2 gold coins and the 3 silver coins, as many as you could bring them. The line at the Apmex booth was pretty deep and they had stacks of the coins on their tables so I got a good look."

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
From mint news blog.

With a maximum order of 50 units per household for the gold coins, it would take only 800 people ordering the max number of 50 (approx $21,000) to sell them out. Sounds like another round of poor planning.

Attachments

Shortstack

Gold Chaser
The unc's always have lower mintage numbers then the PF's but they also usually sell for less in the aftermarket

I ordered equal quantities of both....we'll see
I have a set of balls thing morning. Just wondering where they were as I was ordering yesterday. My gut said order 5 each of the gold coins but alas I only ordered one of each.

I did try to order 10 each of the silver coins this morning. At the end of the day, baseball is the national pastime. Millions of fans out there against a small handful of numastists and a few hundred thousand collectors. I am thinging these will go through the roof if your everyday base fans start become the mainstay of the aftermarket.

Are the silver coins sold out as well? I received a confirm email and can see this order via the track order screen. It's a wimpy $1,000 investment that I hope to flip for 3x what I paid. I say wimpy but the 2k profit would pay for a 40 inch lightbar for my Raptor or better yet OEM high output HID headlights that were not available on the Raptor until the 2013 model year

And yes, I am thinking the silver coins will eventually sell for $150 plus each. If baseball fans decide these coins are a must have accompaniment to their baseball card and larger collectable portfolios.

Shortstack

Gold Chaser
I topped up my gold order to 5 each. Lets see if I this order gets filled. I was actually surprised to see the gold coins were still available, at least as of last night.

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Hope you guys make a killing. So ugly I just couldn't make myself buy them....

I may be stuck with the ATB pucks but at least I like them.

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Just wait 'till next year when they mint the baseball and you don't have a glove to hold it. :D