• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New US Mint curved coin

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
The only reason I went for these commems was because they had significant gold content (90% - about 1/4 ounce). This guarantees a floor not too far under the sale price. I would guess that the 10% alloy was necessary due to the strange nature of the curved strike.
That is the content of all gold commems , nothing unique other than the curve.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
The owner of the no mint mark coin speaks!

Steve says
APRIL 14, 2014 AT 5:15 PM

Ok, I’m the “old time blogger” who sent the pics and info to Michael. I just felt it was time to come forward and try to answer some of your questions/concerns.

Let me begin by saying to those that are skeptical or have negative comments….If I had not seen this coin in hand, I would be skeptical too…so no offense taken. I understand this is a situation where I’m quilty until proven innocent.

I agree the pics are bad. Have any of you tried to take pictures of these….it was very frustrating to me. The pictures have not been altered except for cropping.

Last year, I was one of the earliest posters here to receive their West Point Silver Eagle Set and Michael sent me an email and asked me to send him some pictures. I used the same camera for those pictures as I did with these. Here is a link to that post from June 27, 2014:

http://mintnewsblog.com/2013/06/some-2013-west-point-silver-eagle-set-arriving/

Some have said I should of had this coin authenticated before bringing this out. No matter what I did, somene would have a reason to disagree…and that’s fine. However, if I waited 2 weeks and had it official, a lot of would say…”What!!…you’ve known about this for two weeks and didn’t say anything. I’ve sold xxx number of coins that I could of been checking for this.”
I knew I would take some heat, but decided that it was more important to get this news out here so you guys could start checking your coins.

My first 5 proof coins are on the way to PCGS and to be honest, I didn’t check them for missing mint marks. This second batch of 3 coins (2 proof/ 1 unc) I was NOT checking for errors, but looking them over one last time before sending to NGC. It was by accident that I noticed it. I took the two proofs and a 10x loupe over to my dad’s. I first handed him the coin with the mint mark and asked him to tell me what letter the mint mark was. He looked at it a few seconds and said “W”. I handed him the second coin and asked, “what about this one”. He looked it over even longer, then looked up and said”there isn’t one!”

There is a small nick/gash you can see in the top pic below where the mint mark should be. I don’t know if where it is is a coincidence…but it is not a W.

Here’s where things stand. I didn’t want to just submit the coins with a notation “check/verify missing mint mark”…I would be skepital then that someone would just swap it out and keep it.

NGC has a customer service rep. that I’ve dealt with for 8 years. We exchanged comments about grading, sent each other jokes, etc. and she has always taken good care of me. I sent the pics to her and she passed them around. But like everyone here, couldn’t tell enough from my pics.
So, she talked it over with her boss and asked me to do this. Address my package to NGC but put Attention: Her name & personal/confidential. I sent them via USPS registered mail as it is the most secure method…but is often times much slower…so it might be a week till they get there. Once she rceives my package she will take it to her boss and they along with several others will videotape the opening of my package…and take it from there. She will contact me when this happens along with any news.

I will let Michael know the results first.

Needless to say, I’m really excited about this. I hope this answers some of your question, but again, I thought it best to give you guys as much info as I could.
However later in the thread he says this:

Steve says
APRIL 14, 2014 AT 6:37 PM

Michael just sent me some info that someone from the Baltimore show sent him. It was my coin and another…the stitches on my coin don’t go down as far….I noticed this when comparing mine side by side. Sooo, it could be that my error is with the capsule and not the coin and that it cover ups the mint mark. I never thought of that or I would of opened the capsule.
I passed this info on to NGC and said if that’s the case, perhaps NGC can grade it in the OGP like those Government Carson City Silver Dollars and I could get a label ~ Mint Error: Defective Capsule….lol.
That would be a letdown…I guess I’ll know for sure soon.
Even without taking the coin out of a capsule I would hope that between two different people looking at the coin that they could confirm whether or not the mark was there. Given the fact the guy had a loupe I'm inclined to believe his coin is indeed missing the mintmark, however it remains to be determined as to why. Could it simply be an off-center strike? The mm is right on the edge and if it were off-center enough to lose most or all of the mm I would expect the user to recognize as much as the glove on the other side would have been slid over as well. Meh, I guess we'll know soon enough once NGC posts their analysis :).

In the meantime, my offer still stands to buy one (or broker it for you) if anyone has one :cool:. While I'm not made of money, my offer may surprise you so PM immediately if you're lucky enough to have one of these oddball examples.

Last edited:

badhop55

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Checked today and saw that a bag has been shipped for my gold proof ordered (4299XXXX) during the waiting list notification on 29 Mar at 8:07pm. I called the Mint and asked if I was paying $4.95 for a free bag (thinking there is no way an order that late would be filled this soon.)

CSR indicated that my coin should ship as shown on 7 Jul. That would seem to show a fair number of cancellations, returns etc.? Especially this early.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
That would seem to show a fair number of cancellations, returns etc.? Especially this early.
I can't figure how there would be that many returns since not that many have been shipped and most of those who did get them say they look great..and..who in their right mind would cancel BEFORE getting them....???thousands have cancelled???? Something not right here....

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Checked today and saw that a bag has been shipped for my gold proof ordered (4299XXXX) during the waiting list notification on 29 Mar at 8:07pm. I called the Mint and asked if I was paying $4.95 for a free bag (thinking there is no way an order that late would be filled this soon.)

CSR indicated that my coin should ship as shown on 7 Jul. That would seem to show a fair number of cancellations, returns etc.? Especially this early.

I anticipate getting a new credit card next month with a bonus for spending $2,000 within 3 months. A few of those silver coins will help me meet that goal...if the order isn't fulfilled, I may try ordering an extra ATB -P coin or two instead.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
As of 2 days ago the silver was oversold by around 21k so the ATB's might be a better bet. The Mint will probably drag your HOF order into July before cancelling it...

badhop55

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I can't figure how there would be that many returns since not that many have been shipped and most of those who did get them say they look great..and..who in their right mind would cancel BEFORE getting them....???thousands have cancelled???? Something not right here....
Which brings me back to paying $4.95 for a free bag. Very confusing.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My coins (two unc $5) shipped today as did my bag! (separate tracking numbers?) Both packages are coming 2-day Air UPS. Now I have to figure out a way to be here to sign for it.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Ebay most recent sales for UNC $5 gold has ticked up above sales of Proof $5 gold. About $800 for uncirculated ready to ship versus $750 for proof.

I do see a few proofs still in the US Mint sealed shipping box going for over $800. I think these are hoping for an error coin.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
GOT THEM! :cool:

I've already put one up on Craigslist to see if anyone local is interested. I'd rather avoid the steep Ebay/Paypal fees.

Pictures to come later tonight!

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Here are the pictures I took tonight. This was a hard coin to photograph because it wants to focus a hot spot in the center of the concave side, and any direct light source catches an angle on the convex side.

_DSC0916.jpg

_DSC0912.jpg

Grandpa Silver

Seeker
Received 5 of the proof, clad 50 cent coins and they are sharp as a razor. Gave one, out of the capsule, to my son-in-law who was going in for an operation and this gesture brightened up his demeanor immensely. These coins cross over, no crisscross over multiple lines, be they numismatic, sport, history, etc. Can never recall any coin connecting with people across and at so many societal levels. Congratulations to all who lifted themselves out of their "stacking stupor"!

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Both silver versions are now listed as sold out and can't be back-ordered. My old order has the cancel boxes back now too, really hoping they don't cancel it on me but I wouldn't be surprised.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
LOL, looks like "Steve" (the reporter of the no mint mark coin) has vision problems :p. I just can't figure out for the life of me how you can't see a mintmark with a loupe in hand??? Meh, here's the official MNB 'update':

Update: The coin was sent to NGC for evaluation and after some examination it was found that the coin was not centered in the capsule which obscured the visibility of the mint mark. The coin is not missing the mint mark.
:damnmate:

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Uncirculated (ungraded) $5 gold selling for about $820 now on Feebay. I'm starting to see them fetch higher prices than proof.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Uncirculated (ungraded) $5 gold selling for about $820 now on Feebay. I'm starting to see them fetch higher prices than proof.
Looks like they are staying in the low $800s for now. Did you end up selling yours locally like you planned? Or you going to end up on eBay as well?

Deweydog

Seeker
Seeker
So the dufuss could not open a capsule and look for himself....? Good grief, the world has more than a fair share
of barely functioning idiots.....apologies if I have offended advanced idiots....

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Looks like they are staying in the low $800s for now. Did you end up selling yours locally like you planned? Or you going to end up on eBay as well?
It's on ebay, and it has a selling bid (ends Saturday night). Tough thing is the 10% "final valuation fee" and PayPal 2.9% transfer fee. 13% right off the top.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
It's on ebay, and it has a selling bid (ends Saturday night). Tough thing is the 10% "final valuation fee" and PayPal 2.9% transfer fee. 13% right off the top.
Wow. Auction ends tonight, and it is already up to $850. That is more than I expected. I'm looking forward to letting the other one ride it out for a few years. I have a feeling it is going to be a very desirable coin.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Well, I sold it on Ebay for $860 with free shipping. Shipping cost me $18.80, PayPal took $25.24, Ebay will get $86.00. So total cost to sell was $130.04. Purchase price was $427.50, so I netted a gain of $302.46. Apply this to the cost of the coins I kept, and my cost of ownership for the remaining coin is $125.04.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Well, I sold it on Ebay for $860 with free shipping. Shipping cost me $18.80, PayPal took $25.24, Ebay will get $86.00. So total cost to sell was $130.04. Purchase price was $427.50, so I netted a gain of $302.46. Apply this to the cost of the coins I kept, and my cost of ownership for the remaining coin is $125.04.
Nice. Sure would be nice if mine arrived sometime before hell freezes over. :eating:

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Interesting article on the silver HOF coins as it discusses all the prior $1 sell-outs as well:

2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame silver dollars sold out: Commemorative sales results differ (link)

The success of the 2001 American Buffalo silver dollar, which sold out in two weeks, most closely parallels the 2014 Baseball silver dollar.

Sales of the 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame silver dollar exhausted the coin’s authorized mintage limit of 400,000 within the first two weeks of sale. But how rare an event is a commemorative sellout, and will this coin hold collector interest over the long term?

The first commemorative dollar to sell out was the 1992 White House dollar. The appeal of this coin came largely from its low authorized mintage, which at 500,000 pieces was the lowest of any dollar in the modern commemorative series. In the age of phone and mail orders, the sellout wasn’t announced until 10 weeks after the release. Many collectors were shut out and were furious to find the coin only available in the secondary market.

In 1994, the 1743-1993 Thomas Jefferson dollar was issued with an authorized mintage of 600,000 and sold out in just five weeks. Sales of the dollar were buoyed by the Mint’s offering of a wildly popular Coin & Currency set that presented a Matte Finish 1994-P Jefferson 5-cent coin along with the commemorative silver dollar.

Both the White House and Jefferson dollars fell out of favor in the late 1990s when collector interest in commemorative coins dissipated, and the premiums associated with these issues evaporated.

It wasn’t until 2001 that the Mint had another sellout success. The American Buffalo dollar reimagined James Earle Fraser’s 1913 Indian Head 5-cent coin designs.

With an authorized mintage of 500,000, the standard by that time, it sold out in just two weeks. Because of its design, this coin remains among the most valuable and desirable of all modern commemorative dollars.

A run of sellout dollar commemoratives began in 2005. The Marines Corps dollar, the first coin to honor a single branch of the military, sold out its entire authorized 500,000-coin issue in a little over a month. For the first and only time, the Treasury secretary exercised his authority to expand the mintage of a commemorative issue, increasing it by 100,000 coins. Having met demand, the program took three months to sell out its new inventory.

The Mint sold all 500,000 silver dollars honoring Abraham Lincoln in 2009 in six weeks. The following year, it sold all 350,000 Boy Scout dollars in just five weeks. Today, both issues still trade for modest premiums over their issue price.

But since then, commemorative dollars have fared poorly.

Given the lackluster performance of these recent coins, the 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame dollar stands out. The dollar’s unusual shape, moderately-sized authorized mintage of 400,000, and two-week sellout all suggest that it will most closely mirror the 2001 American Buffalo silver dollar and remain a hot item for the long term.

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The mint is now telling me the "new" ship date for all my orders, made at different dates, is 5/16/14.

jcz1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The mint is now telling me the "new" ship date for all my orders, made at different dates, is 5/16/14.
May be due to this announcement recently posted on the mint site:
· About Changing Shipping Dates: We are experiencing technical difficulties with the part of our system that displays the expected ship date for your order, causing the dates to move incorrectly. Please be assured that orders are being fulfilled according to our standard policy. This issue will have no impact on the actual shipping dates. Thank you for your patience as we work toward a solution

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Ebay prices are still rocketing upwards for the $5 gold coins. Latest sales for both proof and uncirculated are over $1,150 each! First Strike deadline was 5/6, so I expected prices to fall after that.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Most recent auction sales for mint box coins in proof, $1,325, unc, $1225.

Still climbing.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Most recent auction sales for mint box coins in proof, $1,325, unc, $1225.

Still climbing.
The marketing has been incredible. Major league baseball players autographing slabs, first pitch, opening day... Dealers are still scrambling for these. They are going like hotcakes. Sure would be nice if I got mine before the griddle cooled.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Higher prices now will result in higher net prices after the rest are delivered....down yes, but from a loftier level still resulting in a decent price base to start the climb all over again....

Shortstack

Bain of the Authoritarian Follower
Gold Chaser
The marketing has been incredible. Major league baseball players autographing slabs, first pitch, opening day... Dealers are still scrambling for these. They are going like hotcakes. Sure would be nice if I got mine before the griddle cooled.
Lets not forget about the silver versions. Just saw a silver proof sell for $135 on eBay.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Lets not forget about the silver versions. Just saw a silver proof sell for $135 on eBay.
Market is still developing a price. Last sales for the proof.. $160, 160, 155,
.................................................................................BU.....$149, 148.50, 145

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Starting to ship the next group of gold's....let's see how many get filled and shipped before the halt again

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I'm watching the MS-69 gold coins sell for less than the ungraded coins still in the Mint packaging. I think people bid them up for hope of snagging a 70. If I was a flipper that had one graded at 69 I think I would peel it out of the slab and put it back in the Mint box to sell it.

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I'm watching the MS-69 gold coins sell for less than the ungraded coins still in the Mint packaging. I think people bid them up for hope of snagging a 70. If I was a flipper that had one graded at 69 I think I would peel it out of the slab and put it back in the Mint box to sell it.
:eek:

me too. ;)

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I think there's just as good a chance a 69 commem would grade 70 for the "right person."

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Received one of my HOF coins yesterday. It's a silver proof, so no drooling please. But I can say having actually seen one close up......................I'm not impressed. I guess I'll just put these in the drawer with the other bullion.