• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New US Mint curved coin

AZ Ag

I haven't posted anything for a very long time. Hopefully I do this right.

I got my first HOF Baseball coins ordered. A Gold Proof and a Silver Proof. I am still waiting on the Uncirculated version. I am very impressed with the coin. I think it is a novel design and very attractive. The Silver Proof is beautiful. It is simple in presentation rather than cluttered like some coins are. The simplicity enhances the beauty. I believe these coins are winners. I only purchased 10 of the Silver Proofs. I wished I had purchased more. They will make very unusual gifts to true baseball fans, and at about $50 were pretty reasonable.

b_cahill

Seeker
Seeker
I finally received a shipping notice for the Unc silver HOF coins that I ordered in March. I had just about given up hope that I would get them. It looks as if they have about doubled in value. :cool05:

Hopefully, they aren't someone else's rejects that the mint is re-selling!

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I finally received a shipping notice for the Unc silver HOF coins that I ordered in March. I had just about given up hope that I would get them. It looks as if they have about doubled in value. :cool05:

I received my shipping notice last night as well. Still nothing on the gold though, guessing I'm not getting that one......

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I ordered, in silver, (2) proof, (2) unc. So far I've only received (1) proof coin and (3) delay notices. Something's really messed up here.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Supposedly the mint does not do that, but I've placed orders before and received coins where I wondered the same thing ;). A family member just received his half dozen $1 proofs this week and asked me to pick the best two out for him and sell the other four at the show this weekend. In looking at the coins with a 10x loupe I could see some sort of flaw on 5 out of the 6 (to be fair I'm very picky and have good vision). However the graders use a 5x loupe and to be honest they can be soft at times especially if you're submitting early or in bulk. Anyway from what I saw in the 6 I examined closely I thought the quality was good.

On a related note, prices on the raw coins have been falling for weeks now as more and more come to the market. I could buy as many unc $1's as I wanted today at the summer FUN show for $80 (and that was what was marked so he probably would have taken less). I also saw the gold unc's for $625. IMO we're still a few weeks or months away from the absolute bottom on these as many more have yet to come to market so if you're considering selling any *now* is the time unless you want to ride them back up in a year, two, or three.

b_cahill

Seeker
Seeker
Supposedly the mint does not do that, but I've placed orders before and received coins where I wondered the same thing ;). A family member just received his half dozen $1 proofs this week and asked me to pick the best two out for him and sell the other four at the show this weekend. In looking at the coins with a 10x loupe I could see some sort of flaw on 5 out of the 6 (to be fair I'm very picky and have good vision). However the graders use a 5x loupe and to be honest they can be soft at times especially if you're submitting early or in bulk. Anyway from what I saw in the 6 I examined closely I thought the quality was good.

On a related note, prices on the raw coins have been falling for weeks now as more and more come to the market. I could buy as many unc $1's as I wanted today at the summer FUN show for $80 (and that was what was marked so he probably would have taken less). I also saw the gold unc's for $625. IMO we're still a few weeks or months away from the absolute bottom on these as many more have yet to come to market so if you're considering selling any *now* is the time unless you want to ride them back up in a year, two, or three.
I have looked at three through a 30X loupe and they looked good at a quick glance. They are going out as presents to newborns. Three new mothers that I know gave birth in the spring and the wait for these has seemed long. I try to give a current year silver coin as a birth gift when possible and the Unc HoF coin seemed like a good choice this year.

wproie

I finally received my notice that this item is sold out. Well at least I got to pay $4.95 for a shopping bag that immediately went into to trash.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sorry for not being more specific. One each of the Gold Proof and uncirculated. I believe I ordered it either the evening of the first day or the morning of the next. They were still taking orders at the time.
Damn, I ordered on the first day of the wait list for the uncirculated, guess I won't be getting it......

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I finally received my notice that this item is sold out. Well at least I got to pay $4.95 for a shopping bag that immediately went into to trash.
You will get your $4.95 credited back to you. I did....

Edited to add: never mind...you said you also ordered the PF so the shipping cost will stand (unless that one is also cancelled)

wproie

You will get your $4.95 credited back to you. I did....

Edited to add: never mind...you said you also ordered the PF so the shipping cost will stand (unless that one is also cancelled)
Oh you're right! I thought they cancelled the whole order but they are still claiming that they will send the proof by 8/10. Thanks for making me take a second look.

Grandpa Silver

Seeker
Heads up to my friends on the forum. The uncirculated silver HOF arrived at my home 1/2 hour ago and I'm sad to report that they have some quality control issues. 4 out of the ten had scrapes, scratches, dings. Ran into this years ago with the Boy Scout silver dollars, talked with a mint rep., sent them back and the response was sorry, none left and would not even send the ones I sent back, sent back to me. Talked with a rep. just now and after a discussion, they advised to keep what was sent, because they are at the end of the run. Another lesson or two learned, order twice what you want and send the rest back and try to be one of the very first to order. With all these months passing, I wouldn't be surprised if I got someones seconds. So I'm keeping what is sent. Anyone out there experience the same?

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
My unc (2nd order) came in great shape, which should make a reader here very happy, as I agreed to sell it to him. Now he just has to wait for the proof to come in.

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
As of 9/8/14 NGC reports the following

2014-W Proof

PF70 - 3673
PF69 - 400

2014-W Mint State

MS70 - 3045
MS69 - 421
MS68 - 3

Total graded : 7542

Perhaps someone can put up the pcgs numbers.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
PCGS:

proof
70 - 3547
69 - 941
68 - 3

MS
70 - 2132
69 - 756
68 - 3

total graded : 7382

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So, what happened with these?

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So, what happened with these?
I more than doubled my money selling my two gold Unc coins on Ebay in the weeks after I took delivery. I kind of wish I would have kept one just because I did think it was a beautiful coin.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yep. Obtaining the knowledge of finding and buying it at the "right price" and being able to flip it at the "right price" at the "right place" can lead one to a win in the numis game. If one of those variables is incorrect, then that person will lose in the numis game. I will have to admit that the curved baseball coin is very interesting but I am just going to watch on the sidelines to see how it does.

18 months later after I wrote the above post...............I broke down and bought one BHOF Uncirculated silver coin (in original mint packaging). I bought it at a small monthly coin show in the Greater Atlanta area that I went to earlier this morning. I paid $50 for it. It is a nice coin in my opinion. It is something different to add to the collection.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
18 months later after I wrote the above post...............I broke down and bought one BHOF Uncirculated silver coin (in original mint packaging). I bought it at a small monthly coin show in the Greater Atlanta area that I went to earlier this morning. I paid $50 for it. It is a nice coin in my opinion. It is something different to add to the collection.
Here is what my BHOF Uncirculated silver coin looks like:

Attachments

SilverBuyer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I more than doubled my money selling my two gold Unc coins on Ebay in the weeks after I took delivery. I kind of wish I would have kept one just because I did think it was a beautiful coin.
On the bright side you could just buy one now and probably pay a lot less than you sold yours for.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I'd go with the 69, and then buy the box and coa.

But they are cheap, so get both or a 70.
The ones graded 70 are priced at $69 (with free shipping), which is about the same as original price + shipping + grading fee ($50 + $5 + $14). These numbers might be a few dollars off, but I think they are within the ballpark of the correct numbers.

For those who don't care about the box (like me), maybe this is the best option.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Anyone else think they ended up with a batch of damaged coins and the marketing guys figured out a solution?

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The ones graded 70 are priced at $69 (with free shipping), which is about the same as original price + shipping + grading fee ($50 + $5 + $14). These numbers might be a few dollars off, but I think they are within the ballpark of the correct numbers.

For those who don't care about the box (like me), maybe this is the best option.
I'd take the 70 and if I ever found the OGP (for sale), great, if not, oh well, no great loss.

But since I already have 1 of each with OGP, that's enough for me. But if I didn't, see previous sentence.

I would however like to find a gold on or two for a reasonable price.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I just placed an order for a Baseball HOF MS70 silver dollar, signed by Cal Ripken, Jr.:rock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371507201598

This is the first time I have ever purchased a graded MS70 coin and also my first eBay purchase. I really hope that the feeling of receiving the coin is as good as the feeling of ordering it...

By the way, it seems that the PF version of this coin at grade 70 goes for a bit higher in price than the MS version. The ones I could find at PF70 seem to sell in the $100 range. Perhaps, after the MS70 coin is delivered, I may decide to buy a PF69 coin, at a lower price.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Here are photos of the coin:

IMG_1469.JPG IMG_1470.JPG

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
After being outbid on a few gold coins, I decided to settle for a PF 69 clad half dollar to go with my silver dollar I bought last year...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-S-BASE...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The price of this coin was $22, including shipping.

The same dealer was selling the gold baseball MS 70 at $499 a few months ago, which was above my estimated price. As it turns out, the gold ones are sold out at this time. I will probably just skip the gold baseball coin.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Curved coins, what next will the mint do to overcharge the public, maybe square or trianlgle shaped coins. Hard to believe what prices get worked up to in buying frenzies isn't it, almost every issue has not held its original value, local dealer here went all in on the gold kennedy coins and ended up going out of business they fell so fast. Caveat Emptor

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
After being outbid on a few gold coins, I decided to settle for a PF 69 clad half dollar to go with my silver dollar I bought last year...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-S-BASEBALL-HOF-COMMEMORATIVE-HALF-DOLLAR-NGC-PF69-BOSTON-RED-SOX-6113H-/311669683518?hash=item4890f5f53e:g:LJEAAOSw7ehXSevI&nma=true&si=wkUe26vOh3ixo8hBtwmqbU%2Bg8s8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The price of this coin was $22, including shipping.

The same dealer was selling the gold baseball MS 70 at $499 a few months ago, which was above my estimated price. As it turns out, the gold ones are sold out at this time. I will probably just skip the gold baseball coin.
A closer look at the price history of the gold HOF coins over the last few months reveals that prices have dropped dramatically, especially for the MS 69 examples.

I now feel fortunate in having declined to buy an MS 70 gold coin at 499 dollars when it was available. Recent auction prices for this coin are now around 440 dollars.

The MS 69 coins took a huge dip in sale prices over the last few months, and I decided to take advantage of this price dip. Here is an auction I won today at 357.79:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-W-5-Go...199556?hash=item4d491e3a44:g:NRAAAOSwnQhXpPrT

With this type of special coin, I am sure there is still high demand even for the MS69 coins, but perhaps this dealer has not attracted the high-end bidders for this coin yet. I was prepared to pay 386.97 for this coin, but I did not need to in this case. Recent auctions of coins like this have ranged from 380 to 405.

I wish this dealer sold other coins besides the baseball HOF ones!

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
PCGS:

proof
70 - 3547
69 - 941
68 - 3

MS
70 - 2132
69 - 756
68 - 3

total graded : 7382
Anyone remember the day when PCGS rarely gave out MS-69s? Then MS-69 became the standard and MS-70 was something you could only fantasize about. Now that they have grade inflated up to MS-70 what's next? The invention of MS-70+ or are they going to go the Spinal Tap route ("up to eleven" knobs) and start grading MS-71s?

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Anyone remember the day when PCGS rarely gave out MS-69s? Then MS-69 became the standard and MS-70 was something you could only fantasize about. Now that they have grade inflated up to MS-70 what's next? The invention of MS-70+ or are they going to go the Spinal Tap route ("up to eleven" knobs) and start grading MS-71s?
PCGS is now .gov bought and paid for, dealers get a much higher % of 70s than you and I do as Ive compared my submissions to various dealers I know.

stAGgering

Silver Miner
Seeker
Bwaaahh haaaa haaaaa !

Yes in some way or collapse in that form of grading mirroring baseball cards.
Unless it is sealed even deeper in plastic it's junk dude !

Comprehension of that line of demarkation, ms69's were no longer rare, purchasing before said may be advantageous... sort of.

The parallel my history chart incline towards is the collapse of interest in graded coins, like tulips or baseball cards.
The imbalance of supply and demand, when anyone can have one, wains interest.
Add greater suspicion of use of coin rather than gazing and fondling at and with awaiting richness of "My Preciousnessesesss".

Twain - "History does not repeat itself, it rhymes."

Got Chart ?

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
A closer look at the price history of the gold HOF coins over the last few months reveals that prices have dropped dramatically, especially for the MS 69 examples.

I now feel fortunate in having declined to buy an MS 70 gold coin at 499 dollars when it was available. Recent auction prices for this coin are now around 440 dollars.

The MS 69 coins took a huge dip in sale prices over the last few months, and I decided to take advantage of this price dip. Here is an auction I won today at 357.79:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-W-5-Go...199556?hash=item4d491e3a44:g:NRAAAOSwnQhXpPrT

With this type of special coin, I am sure there is still high demand even for the MS69 coins, but perhaps this dealer has not attracted the high-end bidders for this coin yet. I was prepared to pay 386.97 for this coin, but I did not need to in this case. Recent auctions of coins like this have ranged from 380 to 405.

I wish this dealer sold other coins besides the baseball HOF ones!
The coin arrived today!

I will post some pictures soon, probably in the Small US Gold Coins thread.

This was an MS 69 coin. If prices of the PF 69 gold coins continue to drop (one recently sold for 357, compared to the previously established price of 415), I may consider making a bid for a PF 69 one as well.

Last edited:

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The coin arrived today!

I will post some pictures soon, probably in the Small US Gold Coins thread.

This was an MS 69 coin. If prices of the PF 69 gold coins continue to drop (one recently sold for 357, compared to the previously established price of 415), I may consider making a bid for a PF 69 one as well.
Looks like this won't be happening, and that the low prices were the result of bidders just beginning to take notice of the new deals available with this dealer.

Yesterday the MS 69 gold coin moved up from 357 to 376, and the PF 69 one moved up from 357 to 382, as more bidders rushed in to take part in the action...