• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Newmont offers Goldcorp

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Newmont to buy Goldcorp in $10 billion deal

1 Min Read

FILE PHOTO: The portal is seen at Goldcorp Inc's Borden all-electric underground gold mine near Chapleau, Ontario, Canada, June 13, 2018. REUTERS/Chris Wattie
(Reuters) - Gold miner Newmont Mining Corp (NEM.N) said on Monday that it would buy smaller rival Goldcorp Inc (G.TO) (GG.N) in a deal valued at $10 billion.

Newmont will offer 0.3280 of its share and $0.02 for each Goldcorp share.

“The strategic rationale for combining Goldcorp with Newmont is powerfully compelling on many levels..” Goldcorp Chief Executive Officer David Garofalo said in a statement.

The combined company’s reserves and resources will represent the largest in the gold sector and will be located in favorable mining jurisdictions in the Americas, Australia and Ghana, the companies said.

Goldcorp’s New York- listed shares were up 1.3 percent in before the bell trading on Monday.

Reporting by John Benny in Bengaluru; Editing by Shailesh Kuber
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...gn=Feed:+reuters/businessNews+(Business+News)

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I had a lot of shares of Ventana gold when it was bought out in a price jump, hard to know when that's going to happen.

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
This "should" be yuuuuuuuuge for the entire mining sector.

"Should" spark a whole round of consolidation and takeovers.

Let's see how it plays out.

Who's the next target?

I'd guess Yamana and Osisko merge.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Would this be what Sinclair said 10 years ago... that the big boys would be buying up the explorers...?

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I owned Goldcorp a couple of times over the years Seems we always got shortchanged when it came to acquisitions or takeovers. Finally got pissed off and sold it, after the last takeover, or was it the one before?

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I hold a nice position in GG and actually welcome this deal. GG management seems to be slipping as the years pass by.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I think Newmont hit the motherload in their mine in Victor Colorado which they purchased from Anglo Ashanti about 3 years ago and are sitting on a lot of money.
So they went shopping.

jelly

Silver Miner
Seeker
Looks to me like these super-sized mergers and aquisitions are proof that the gold market is dead. No money to be made here. Only one way to keep the gold supply going forward - higher gold prices. If we don't get higher prices, supply isn't going to make it to the market over the next couple decades. Unless they can liquidate the gold ETF's to make up for it. :lashing:

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Looks to me like these super-sized mergers and aquisitions are proof that the gold market is dead. No money to be made here. Only one way to keep the gold supply going forward - higher gold prices. If we don't get higher prices, supply isn't going to make it to the market over the next couple decades. Unless they can liquidate the gold ETF's to make up for it. :lashing:
A great contrarian buy signal.

To borrow the phrase: "Gold is dead. Long live gold!"

jelly

Silver Miner
Seeker
A great contrarian buy signal.

To borrow the phrase: "Gold is dead. Long live gold!"
There's definitely room for the share prices to go lower, but I say this from a business perspective. From a business standpoint, I would compare these large mergers to cannibalism. There's nothing for the big guys to eat, so they just eat themselves. This isn't a healthy market, IMHO.
I think long term, there is going to be a price to pay in reduced supply.