• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

No Ammo....

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I understand FEDERAL as bought the ammunition manufacturing segment of Remington.
How soon that division is back up and running would be a question for the big wigs @ Federal.
Maybe the Courts have to bless any purchase of assets. IDK

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Yep the cheap stuff is gone.......the speciallty hunting ammo calibers are non-existant right now
I can still go on ammoseek and find all of the above calibers at prices well below that shop....yes they are still high (59 cents for 9mm, 38 cents for 762 and 70 cents for 556) but not the rape you prices i saw at that shop

the_shootist

Old (not THAT old), but dangerous, pasty white guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I can still go on ammoseek and find all of the above calibers at prices well below that shop....yes they are still high (59 cents for 9mm, 38 cents for 762 and 70 cents for 556) but not the rape you prices i saw at that shop
What I'm seeing is a 1 to 4 month shipping time. Are you seeing that at all?

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
ammoseek has been my go to site to find ammo for years......a week ago my 7mm rum ammo was non existent but today there were two suppliers so that was encouraging....i dont reload but i will probably have to get equipment and learn or sell the 7mm rum rifle(antelope/elk)..i did/doing my deer hunting this year with 44mag pistol...are you getting a hunt in this year?

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
ammoseek has been my go to site to find ammo for years......a week ago my 7mm rum ammo was non existent but today there were two suppliers so that was encouraging....i dont reload but i will probably have to get equipment and learn or sell the 7mm rum rifle(antelope/elk)..i did/doing my deer hunting this year with 44mag pistol...are you getting a hunt in this year?
Yea...tagged out on a doe last week...yesterday shot a wounded spike that had a shattered front leg.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Found a new local gun shop....tons of ammo....9mm at 85 cents, 556 at $1.07, 7.62 at 65 cents.....now I know why he had so much....good luck fella.
I paid .72 per round for a few hundred rounds of 124 grain Winchester ball 9mm today, including Cali sales tax and $1 background check fee, and I am very happy with my purchase.

Aurumag

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
There is a big box store in my area that will sell steel case 9mm for $8.00 a box....but it is gone within 30 minutes of being on shelf. Gas maybe cheap but I have a job that doesn't allow me to camp out on the store floor 7 days a week waiting.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Holy cow. I paid $129.70 for my last 1000 rounds.

Of course it took me 10 trips to the store to do it, but gas is cheap!
How long ago? I have not seen 13 cents around (aside from reloading) in the last 5 years since I started shooting 9mm. That counts the cheapest Tula stuff I could find......$129.70 a case comes out to $6.48 a box.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Holy cow. I paid $129.70 for my last 1000 rounds.

Of course it took me 10 trips to the store to do it, but gas is cheap!
When was that, 2016?

BarnacleBob

Moderator, Equal opportunity annoyer!
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Plenty of ammo if your willing to pay up...

I remember buying Wolf 7.62 x 39 fmj or hp for $79 case of 1000 including shipping and 1400 rounds SA 7.62 x 51 FMJ @ $300 case... those days are long gone!

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner

I remember buying Wolf 7.62 x 39 fmj or hp for $79 case of 1000 including shipping and 1400 rounds SA 7.62 x 51 FMJ @ $300 case... those days are long gone!
Yep and I almost tempted to buy 9mm at $0.40-$0.45 a round on Armslist just to get some. I have been seeing prices closer to $0.60/round, but there are some local sellers doing bigger deals (1500-2000 rounds) in the $0.45/round range.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The last 9mm I purchased was .16 a round before shipping......seems like less than 2 yrs ago...obviously it was fmj practice ammo but still quite a difference in price

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
The last 9mm I purchased was .16 a round before shipping......seems like less than 2 yrs ago...obviously it was fmj practice ammo but still quite a difference in price
Last I remember I paid $9/50 rd box about 2 years ago

Buck

Don't Sell Me Tomorrow, Tell Me Today!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
comparing today's prices with the early kenyan years, it's a close call with this year eeking out the win for highest prices but it's more readily available today than when the .gov was making all of their purchases...and that allows for price fluctuations which we're seeing

you can never have enough and it should never take more than one...but have at least a dozen or more, full magazines, on hand, just in case, one day, you meet a crew of hungry zombies

:hunt:

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I remember basic 9MM range ammo being under $10 a box of fifty, so that’s what, less than 20 cents a round? That is probably from the early Bush2 years.

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
lately, i've read a six dollar price tag but have been uncertain if that's a target price for a gallon or for a liter

Aurumag

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Those were the post Y2K days when milsurp was readily available by the pallet load.

I got a few of those .308 deals; Portugal, German, SA and Brit.

Hystckndle

SWEATEQUITYIS$$$
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

Still have a lot of the Wolf

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I got an email ad from Freedom Munitions this morning. They had a variety of stuff available, including 357 mag 125 grain jacketed hollow point 50 round boxes, for the low, low price of only $70. I found myself looking at them for a few seconds and then thought, “What the hell are you thinking, boy?” There is no chance I’m going to pay that much for a single box of ammo. I’m not dry enough, yet. And I have plenty of Nine, Ten, Twenty-Two and Five-Five-Six, heck, even lowly Three-Eighty.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Still on the hunt for powder. That and primers are still eluding me.

My Sportsmans Warehouse has 9mm and a few other calibers this morning, but haven't brought out the good stuff yet.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
^^ I had that problem a few months ago. Finally found some but should have bought more back then. I can agree with you now, it's scarce. Primers are like unicorns.

Scald

Tungsten collector
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
The American Marksman has some .223 ($0.86 per round) and 300 AAC ($1.16 per). A bit spendy, but I needed a few rounds of 300 to run through a new build.

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
My local gunsmith range owner said today all his back ordered ammo has been cancelled. His distributor said something was up, he needs to reorder around February, expects deliveries by JUNE. Makes not much sense to me, or him, but passing it along.

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
this thread just gets bleaker...

backordered until june? and can't reorder until February? why not hold all the old orders, just price increase 'em

that way everyone keeps their place in line...which means, someone was allowed to jump others and grab what was left, and what's being made goes to them, and then, in june, everyone else can have what's left

wow, i even went bleaker in this post

GL

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
The impending ammo shortage was obvious months ago yet there are those who are panic buying ammo now. To those grasshoppas I say....

You snooze, you lose!

Next time be the ant, not the grasshoppa!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I cannot even fire my cannon anymore. ONE fargin pound costs $28. *IF* they ever have any.

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Anyone who's over 30 that doesn't have all the guns and ammo they need hasn't learned from history - a common american trait. When that cock sucker obama was elected, we had very similar results. An unprecedented demand for guns and ammo; sold out everywhere. I couldn't even find primers which was a new thing. That time ended and we got that dirty stain out of the WH and everything was available again. Prices were REALLY low. You could buy anything and everything that you wanted. The panic for guns, ammo and the desire to invest all your money in the stock market is typical crowd think today.

Just like that Omaha communist Buffett says, never follow the crowd . . . and he's usually right.