• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Now That's Weird- Pleasant But Weird

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've got a 7.3 Ford diesel pickup that is notoriously hard on batteries. The glow plugs seem to be like a dead short when turning on the ignition switch and for some stupid reason the driving lights come on too. When it's cold it really doesn't like to crank with all that going on. Anyway it takes 2 relatively large and expensive batteries. The previous set of Interstates lasted just beyond warranty. I don't normally shop Walmart but they are the only ones locally that had 2 of them when they went on the fritz last time a couple of years ago. I had dutifully placed the receipt in a sandwich bag and taped it on the side of one of them. Fast forward to last weekend- I needed a jump at a motel.

Went back to Walmart with the batteries and they indicated that both were indeed bad and wanted the receipt. I gave it to them expecting to have to pay the difference for some pro-rated user fee or some silly hazardous material charge or whatever. Nope. Since it had been less than 3 years it was full replacement- tax and everything for both. But here's where it gets weird- but pleasant. That particular battery had a temporary 'price rollback' of some $12 each. Long story longer I walked out of there with 2 new batteries and $24 and change in cash. Happy camper here...

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That ain’t right, how is the small town mom and pop auto parts store going to compete with that kind of return policy. Plus i’m jealous.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Today is a sad, sad day for me and the old, 2000 Ford F250 pickup affectionately known as Leap'n Lena. Just got word that she is finally done after 266,000 miles. A rare, blown 7.3 diesel engine. Truck is in amazingly good shape- new batteries ^^^and a fresh oil change even... And was such a good runner. Just driving about 45 mph when apparently a valve spring busted. Bent the rocker arm and busted off the valve, dropping the big end into the cylinder to jones around in there enough to bust the injector and dump fuel out onto the exhaust manifold and into the oil sump. She died in an enormous cloud of white smoke.

And I don't have $70,000 for a new one. Never will. F*** that. I've bought houses for less.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Time to find a different engine, slap the booger in there and go for it. Might be a bad engine might be a good engine but no need to throw Leap'n Lena to the bone pile to be picked apart when you can zombie her up.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Time to find a different engine, slap the booger in there and go for it. Might be a bad engine might be a good engine but no need to throw Leap'n Lena to the bone pile to be picked apart when you can zombie her up.
Never heard of a bad 7.3 until this one. Might just have to do that but it sounds a bit more involved that just slapping one in. I understand it involves pulling the cab off first. Ugh...

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Never heard of a bad 7.3 until this one. Might just have to do that but it sounds a bit more involved that just slapping one in. I understand it involves pulling the cab off first. Ugh...
easy: Build yourself two A Frames, link them together at the top, put chain hoists on drivers side and passenger side. Disconnect the cab related stuff from the engine and all electrical, kick the tranny out of gear and push backwards leaving the cab hanging. Swap out engine, push back underneath cab and reattach everything you took loose.

Then sell the A Frames with the chain hoists.....if you take pictures of what you are doing and have done showing the cab hanging and such then I will most likely be a quick sell to the guy who is contemplating an A frame linked to a tree, which I have done pulling engines.

I say this because I used to work at a truck place with two of these A frames which were independent of each other and we would lift the box's off of trucks, drive the off and back a new truck underneath.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
easy: Build yourself two A Frames, link them together at the top, put chain hoists on drivers side and passenger side. Disconnect the cab related stuff from the engine and all electrical, kick the tranny out of gear and push backwards leaving the cab hanging. Swap out engine, push back underneath cab and reattach everything you took loose.

Then sell the A Frames with the chain hoists.....if you take pictures of what you are doing and have done showing the cab hanging and such then I will most likely be a quick sell to the guy who is contemplating an A frame linked to a tree, which I have done pulling engines.

I say this because I used to work at a truck place with two of these A frames which were independent of each other and we would lift the box's off of trucks, drive the off and back a new truck underneath.
I was thinking more on the order of lifting the radiator cap and driving another truck underneath.

Definitely not a new one though. Next to impossible to find a newer, used 3/4 ton pulling truck that the EPA allows to breathe and run properly.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The South Florida heat is notoriously hard on all my equipment. I use a cheap ($40) ebay AGM battery in my motorcycle and they last just over 4 years. I normally get about 18 months out of a car battery because I also run a hardwire camera, computer & radar unit for my business. Believe it or not I am on the original lead acid full maintenance battery that came with my 2016 Mazda CX-5. It just turned 80k miles this week. If I get 150k trouble-free miles out of this car it will be the lowest maintenance car I ever owned among 25 vehicles. I have only changed the oil and air filters in 80k miles. that's it.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
I have gotten away with putting an engine together in the vehicle to avoid removing cabs before. But you gotta take the old one apart to get it out that way too. This was with a van and not a truck.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I was thinking more on the order of lifting the radiator cap and driving another truck underneath.

Definitely not a new one though. Next to impossible to find a newer, used 3/4 ton pulling truck that the EPA allows to breathe and run properly.
ewwwha…$70K's radiator exchange?

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Well,
at least you have 2 fresh batteries.
The 7.3 is a legendary engine.
The repair bills can be legendary as well.
I decided to pass on diesel & bought a 2012 F250 with the 6.2 gas.
So far so good.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well,
at least you have 2 fresh batteries.
The 7.3 is a legendary engine.
The repair bills can be legendary as well.
I decided to pass on diesel & bought a 2012 F250 with the 6.2 gas.
So far so good.
What kind of mileage do you get with the 6.2? Would it pull 18,000 lbs. gross reasonably well?

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
What kind of mileage do you get with the 6.2? Would it pull 18,000 lbs. gross reasonably well?
About 12mpg sitting still.
I have never pulled more than 5 ton. It's good for that.
You have to get used to high rpms on the hills, but a gas motor is built for that.
It's new computer stuff that I'd rather not have, but unless someone has a time capsule, what are you gonna do?
I spent around $27.K two years ago. Came with a western commercial plow.
Plain jane truck with plow & tow package.
25K miles at the time.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
That is called "Swallowing a valve". Usually the cylinder wall gets scored, but in rare cases the end of the valve embeds itself in the piston so all you need to do is replace the piston, rings and cylinder head.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hey fenz, I got one of those also (cept mine runs). Its the last one with wing windows — a 1997. Say, what do you want for those two new batteries?

Being the type of guy I am I tarted the truck up a bit with gauges for exhaust temp, trans temp and boost. Oh, and a new chip for the computer with four engine programs on it - normal, towing, economy and blow-it-up. The truck will get up and MOVE in BIU — I've raced motorcycles with that setting; lots of torque and a surprise take off for a large truck.

185,000 miles and still runs great (kinda looks like shit)
BF

PS: Mikey - I'll be down to yer place when I need to swap out the engine