• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Numis & Coin shows

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Hello out there GIM'ers........... it's been awhile since I've been active here (hold your applause) (cough, cough).......

But I'm back and my latest side job is a coin dealer so I'm very active at shows in my area. This thread is a report on the activity and highlights my observations on Bullion and bullion related coinage. Bullion type coinage is what I refer to calling an older numis coin whose value in the book isn't much more than it's precious metal content. Other numis book for several times over their metal intrinsic worth so it's safe to say those coins are immune to the price movement in the metals market unless of course it goes to the moon.

Ok, so in no particular order here are my observations:

1. A lot of the gold stuff at shows has dwindled and even disappeared in some cases. The common pre-1933 U.S. gold market is especially soft. The rumor that dealers tell is that the Germans are selling back old gold to the U.S. so the market is flooding with old U.S. gold.

2. There are still a few die hard gold dealers but these guys only buy at melt prices. The premiums are virtually gone on most pre-1933 gold coins unless they are very high grade in a slab holder. These are the numis types that were already 1-1/2 to 2x the price of the gold content.

3. Gold appears 'dead' at coin shows with very little interest from the public but then again cost is always a factor. Generally the average buyers in my area don't get excited unless gold is on the rise.

4. Silver is whole different story and is very active. More and more customers are interested in Silver coins of ALL types and not just U.S. The public now is keenly aware of British Crowns, Mexican Pesos, Spanish Reales, and to some extent the German Marks. My top sellers are LARGE Silver coins. Half of my top sellers are Bullion types and the other half low-end numis. Buyers tend to shy away from the high priced numis unless it's slabbed or they're experienced collectors on the hunt for a specific coin.

5. Mexican Silver is HOT........I can't keep this stuff in stock. Rumor has it that the Chinese has an interest in buying Mexican silver coins. Maybe this is partly true and driving the market.

6. British Silver (i.e. Crowns) are way over priced IMO. They're hard to acquire below book and all the dealers seem low on stock. Part of this is the exchange rate after the Brexit most of our goods seem cheap in US Dollars so a lot of their silver is finding it's way back to Britain.

7. It is still possible to find small deals below melt on Silver but it's usually small countries that aren't mentioned above.

8. Junk Silver still has a strong demand - rolls of circulated silver dimes, quarters, halves, etc. are good sellers as long as it's close to the melt price. The price spread is a little thin so most dealers offer 10% below melt to acquire it.

9. Numis is numis and there are still lots of expensive coins being bought & sold...... to most here they're all overpriced.

10. Not a metal, but Foreign currency is hot and I don't see much at the shows but customers still ask. I don't know what to make of it other than the public now has a larger interest in money than ever before.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
hell.....im still waiting on a Tractor report ...from how long ago?? ...LOL

fwiw....i see a lot of PMs sell online on social media sites...facebook..etc...........and i would agree....old gold is not carrying a premium at all.......hottest items i see are old/rare/odd silver bars .....

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Thanks for the report. Pre 1933 gold is ridiculously cheap at the moment. Nice uncirculated, graded, authenticated, 100+ year old US coins can be had for a few percentage points above their bullion value. Good time to buy, while everyone else is snoozing. 2c
Now you've motivated me to get my sorry butt out to one of the regional coin shows that I haven't been to in years.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Last quarter when ebay had 8-10% ebay bucks, they disallowed bullion. So APMEX threw up buy it now graded and ungraded double eagles. The prices for ungraded AU were below spot and the MS62's were a hair above. Graded pucks were below US Mint original price. Some silver proof sets were also close to melt.Didn't take long to get to the $500 ebay buck max for the quarter. Now the whole coin category is disallowed...bummer.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Argent Dragon,

I also sell silver (mainly online). I officially started my business on January 2, 2018 selling '70's silver art bars and other "collectibles" silver coins/bars. I will refer to my business as a "Schedule C business" (mainly do business on ebay) generating a net profit each month (a.k.a. "Schedule C income"). My Schedule C business is my true "dream job" that does not feel like work at all because I enjoy what I do. '70's silver art bar collecting is my hobby that I turned into a business venture.

I do work a full time job (W-2 Income) and I spend most of my free time running my Schedule C business. I go to coin shows, flea markets and coin shops (local and out-of-town) to find '70's silver art bars and other collectible silver for .999 general silver premiums and sell them for "collector premium" on ebay. I have not been banking much of my Schedule C income but instead I have been re-investing most my Schedule C income back into my business by buying more silver inventory to resell on ebay. That resulted in have more ebay BIN listings and creating a more consistent Schedule C income.

The part of running my Schedule C business that I do not look forward to very much is paper work (keeping receipts and keeping records of what I bought and sold for Federal tax reporting). Since I have a business license and sales tax id number (resellers license), I have to do my bookkeeping to track my gross sales, expenses (ebay/PP fees, shipping, etc.), and net profit and how much sales tax I collected (to send to the TN dept of revenue each month). I use spreadsheets to do my bookkeeping on because it is easy for me to do. Making a net profit from each sale does ease my dislike of doing bookkeeping.

My profit makers of my Schedule C business have been the following:

'70's silver art bars: The rarer the bat the better in terms of my pricing power since there is a demand for these types of bars. Some of the more common '70's silver art bars selling for $26 - $31. They can be hard to find.

Mexican Libertads: I have had success buying them for close to .999 generic silver premiums and selling them for collector premiums on ebay. That has been my biggest profit maker during the last two months. Those sell fairly quickly (2 - 3 weeks turnaround time depending on date).

I have sold other odd-ball silver art rounds that have generated a decent profit for my Schedule C business.

Overall, it is worth it to me starting and running my Schedule C business.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Great post @ Silver Art !!!

Yes, Libertads are hot too and I failed to mentioned them because I only had 1 that sold months ago in my 1st show. As a dealer I don't see many come my way but maybe some scouting will turn some up.

All my Art bars sold early too but I was happy to sell them above melt at $18-$20 each. These were bought years ago close to the melt price when silver was in the $10-$13 range....... a few earlier than that in the $6-$7 range.

I have a few listings on Fleabay but no BIN...... all auctions including Morgan silver dollars & Silver American Eagles.
I'll report what happens since all my auctions start at 0.99 cents.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Great post @ Silver Art !!!

Yes, Libertads are hot too and I failed to mentioned them because I only had 1 that sold months ago in my 1st show. As a dealer I don't see many come my way but maybe some scouting will turn some up.

All my Art bars sold early too but I was happy to sell them above melt at $18-$20 each. These were bought years ago close to the melt price when silver was in the $10-$13 range....... a few earlier than that in the $6-$7 range.

I have a few listings on Fleabay but no BIN...... all auctions including Morgan silver dollars & Silver American Eagles.
I'll report what happens since all my auctions start at 0.99 cents.

I have been lucky to find various mint year Mexican Libertads/Onza silver coins during my various travels. The last Mexican Libertad that I sold was a 2006 Libertad that I sold for $53 that I originally purchased for $19.25. If they are priced "right" and the "right customer" comes along, then Libertads will move very fast (i.e. within 1-3 days after listing it).

I used to do auctions but the winning bids were much lower than what the item was worth. All of my ebay listings are BIN and BIN w/best offer. The downside to BIN listings is that you will probably have to wait longer for it to move but you can get much closer to the price of the item than you could with auctions.

I am still able to buy '70's silver art bars locally (and when I go out of town) but they are slow sellers but of course that depends on my pricing on some of them. That can be a fickle market that it is hard to predict when certain ones will sell and how many I can sell in a week. I also still buy '70's silver art bars to add to my personal collection.

My Schedule C business is generating a decent Schedule C income but that income can vary a lot depending on what my gross sales are for the month. Nearly 10 years of '70's silver art bar collecting experience has helped my start and grow my Schedule C business.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
What's the word on ATB bullion? It's so funny when I see ebayers paying $108 for the Moultrie when Provident had them for 92.50. Those are finally gone.

What about silver proof sets with all those quarters?

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Great reports Argent Dragon & Silver Art...much appreciated.

@ Argent Dragon:
Agree that "old gold" is cheap from all over...US, Mexico, Europe; as is Constitutional silver-er. I have read as well that old US gold is being sold to US dealers from Europe, but why Germany in particular? I would think this goes both ways; with Sovereigns, 20 Francs etc. being sold to European dealers if the market is truly soft. Is the market softer in Europe compared to the US? I surmise there are boomers everywhere that are liquidating physical to pay for retirement that's contributing to the high stock and low premiums on old Au and Ag...JMHO. Good luck out there folks.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I'm not sold on the overwhelming old gold out there and the market being soft. If that was the case you'd see eBay touting all types of old gold in their daily deals. I've seen a flurry of fractional old gold but not to the level of blowing it out the doors when the big guys want to dump stuff in a hurry. Maybe I'm misreading this altogether but I've been to the local coins shows and it seems like the status quo. Maybe it is more apparent at the regional coin shows. I'll have to get to one of them as soon as I can.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
Speaking of coin shows, we are down to ONE show per year in the Memphis area. Ebay has become the coin market.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Speaking of coin shows, we are down to ONE show per year in the Memphis area. Ebay has become the coin market.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that the one that was in October in the Memphis area (just over the border in MS) that was moved to Bixoxi, MS.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
What's the word on ATB bullion? It's so funny when I see ebayers paying $108 for the Moultrie when Provident had them for 92.50. Those are finally gone.

What about silver proof sets with all those quarters?
I have sold some ATBs but most of them they were the 2012 ATBs since I can get the most profit from them (after expenses) when selling them on ebay. For example, the most amount of money that I got from a Denali ATB (bullion version) was $210, the most that I got from a Acada ATB (bullion version) was $290 although the last Acada bullion puck that I sold was for only $178. I got $280 from a Hawaii Volcanoes (slabbed bullion version) puck. I made a decent amount of money on them only because I purchased them at a low enough price to make money on them.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Overall, as of today, it has been a slow week (so far) in terms of sales from my Schedule C business but I am still making a healthy enough profit margin to still go out to buy more stuff for resale and still able to bank some of my net profit.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
That is correct.

Ah ok. I went to that show in October 2016. Someone told me that it was moving to Biloxi and that is how I knew.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
Same. It is the Mississippi Numi Association show. The other show held at the same venue earlier in the year is done by the Memphis Coin Club. There used to be a Memphis International Paper Money show held annually here but even that moved out west, I believe. So we're down to one. And there is NO decent coin shop in Memphis, none, nothing even resembling decent.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Same. It is the Mississippi Numi Association show. The other show held at the same venue earlier in the year is done by the Memphis Coin Club. There used to be a Memphis International Paper Money show held annually here but even that moved out west, I believe. So we're down to one. And there is NO decent coin shop in Memphis, none, nothing even resembling decent.
There was one coin shop that I found while I was in the Memphis area a couple of years ago but I did not see any '70's silver art bars but I did buy a 1999 Mexican Libertad there for $25 during my time in Memphis. That shop looked like it is in a rough part of Memphis. I did not see much of anything else while in Memphis. The only reason that I was in Memphis in October 2016 was to go to the Mississippi Numi Association show in Southhaven, MS. After I left the show, I drove back home that same day because I did not want to stay overnight in Memphis. Even though I live in Tennessee, I do not venture out in the West Tennessee area very often. Memphis is a 5 1/2 hour drive for me. I think that I went to Memphis only twice during the last 3 years which that is a lot for me in that span of time.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
If the US Supreme Court rules in favor of South Dakota, then the Internet Sales Tax could adversely affect me as an internet small business as well as people who regularly sell (and buy) numi coins and bullion and other items on ebay and elsewhere online. The Internet Sales Tax law is currently at the US Supreme Court will a decision on it will be made next month. As a small business owner that does business on the Internet, I strongly oppose this Internet Sales Tax.

Here is a story of what I am talking about (dated April 17, 2018):

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-with-e-commerce-sales-tax-case-idUSKBN1HO0I0

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
One of my most recent purchases below. Most expensive silver coin I've purchased.

1771 Netherlands Ducaton, which I believe is under-graded by PCGS:
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/81719063
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...n-km-92.1-1739-1794-cuid-1084093-duid-1449574
First off let me say, that is an outstanding coin and quite scare to come by. I luv it !!!

Secondly, on the grade I think it's fair. European coins grade by a different standard than U.S. so by US standards yes it could grade slight higher but there is evidence of slight wear which keeps it from being uncirculated. Luster is awesome, slight toning all good stuff that help prop up the value. The scarcity helps even more because you could ask $ slightly above book and the challenge is, "go find one" if someone thinks your price is too high.
For me it's a 'keeper'........... put it back and one day it'll cross that $1k mark.

Also, one last comment - Foreign coins including European doesn't identify a grade for About Uncirculated or AU that's an American sub-category devised for the U.S. market. U.S. coins can get severely over-graded warping our view of what a real grade should be. Being absolutely harsh in the European vein, that coin grades XF maybe choice XF but still a proper category and finding older unabused coins in XF is quite the challenge. We're not talking about Morgan Dollars..........

Just my 0.02 cents and NICE find !!!

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
$1k is what I paid for it. I was ok paying that much simply because I couldn't find another of this type in any comparable condition.
I hear ya,....... I'd have trouble just finding one like it and chances are the grade would be lower. The scarcity makes it tougher than a Morgan key date. It's a beautiful coin regardless of the value. Ohh, and the book value I'm going by (your NGC link) maybe lower than the market if it's already risen in value. My problem is I'm looking at it from a resale pov since I 'deal' in foreign coins. I need margin (i.e. a lower price) so I can make a few $$$ on the resale.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Hey Bemac,

I did a little online searching and see that the characteristics for your coin shows you are correct. I'm now thinking it's undergraded as well. Sometimes a weaker strike can be misidentifies as 'slight wear'......... 18th century coins (and older) need to be graded accordingly. As a 19th century and newer coin it does appear as AU. The extreme close-ups don't help in grading it without magnification. AU-58 on a bad day but I think it's more like an MS-63++ or to piss a few here off BU (brilliant uncirc.)....

Haha all you BU haters, keep in mind that eBay now won't let you list something as MS if it's ungraded (not slabbed) so you have to use terms like Uncirc, Brilliant Uncirc., etc...... FYI

Have fun !

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
I hear ya,....... I'd have trouble just finding one like it and chances are the grade would be lower. The scarcity makes it tougher than a Morgan key date. It's a beautiful coin regardless of the value. Ohh, and the book value I'm going by (your NGC link) maybe lower than the market if it's already risen in value. My problem is I'm looking at it from a resale pov since I 'deal' in foreign coins. I need margin (i.e. a lower price) so I can make a few $$$ on the resale.
I'm definitely looking at resale value. Just not today, but I think I could make some today on it if I desired. The book values are crap, I don't go by them at all. Book values are for the 1980's when the market wasn't so easy to see. Today we have the internet, we have ebay. Something is worth what you can sell it for. This coin has it all, eye appeal, condition, rarity, age. I won't sell it for less than double what I paid, and it won't take long to get there.

Yeah, definitely AU-58 if not MS. Even PCGS's pics show that. Thanks for your info.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Haha all you BU haters, keep in mind that eBay now won't let you list something as MS if it's ungraded (not slabbed) so you have to use terms like Uncirc, Brilliant Uncirc., etc...... FYI
I had some guy on eBay go off on me because I called a coin BU. He said it was only an Unc. I told him my understanding was that the terms are interchangeable...

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'm definitely looking at resale value. Just not today, but I think I could make some today on it if I desired. The book values are crap, I don't go by them at all. Book values are for the 1980's when the market wasn't so easy to see. Today we have the internet, we have ebay. Something is worth what you can sell it for. This coin has it all, eye appeal, condition, rarity, age. I won't sell it for less than double what I paid, and it won't take long to get there.

Yeah, definitely AU-58 if not MS. Even PCGS's pics show that. Thanks for your info.
Sometimes it is worthwhile to take really nice pics of a coveted coin and just hang it up on eBay at the price you want to get for it. It may take years to sell, but you never know - if the right buyer is waiting in the wings you can sometimes reach your goal in surprisingly short order.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I had some guy on eBay go off on me because I called a coin BU. He said it was only an Unc. I told him my understanding was that the terms are interchangeable...
Yeah, it's a marketing tool from Coin World type dealers advertising in the 1980's....

Generally accepted as Unc = MS60 - MS62 (low grade mint state)
Then you have BU = MS63+
Then you have Ch. BU = MS64+
And finally Gem BU = MS65 and up !!!

They're not technical grades though....... more akin to salesperson jive.
Since there's no real # attached, a sly dealer can call an MS62 a BU........and a 'Slider' which is an AU-58 / MS-60 as Unc.
This is why 'self' grading ability is soooo important if spending any good amount of $ on numis.

Last edited:
Bemac, There's the Razorback Coin Show that they have in Jacksonville, AR. That's just a couple of hours' drive from Memphis. I think the next one is in September. I have a coin collecting cousin in Memphis who comes down for that one.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Sometimes it is worthwhile to take really nice pics of a coveted coin and just hang it up on eBay at the price you want to get for it. It may take years to sell, but you never know - if the right buyer is waiting in the wings you can sometimes reach your goal in surprisingly short order.

That is why I prefer BIN listings on ebay instead of auctions because with in auction you will get bids (if the starting bid price is low enough) but there might not be enough interest at the time to bid up the price and it could end up with a winning price that is much lower than if an item would have been listed as BIN. With BIN, it can take a long while for it to sell but you will get the right price for it.

All of my ebay listings are BIN listings and that is worknig out well for me so far since I have a lot of listings on ebay (approx 300 BIN listings).

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
All of my ebay listings are BIN listings and that is worknig out well for me so far since I have a lot of listings on ebay (approx 300 BIN listings).
That is really awesome and a lot of work. I'm averaging about 40 listings per week and right now 22 are BIN's.
Only the 'hot' coins like Morgan Dollars and Silver Eagles are started at the 99-cent opening bid auction style.

The more unusual ones take off such as rainbow toned, etc.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
That is really awesome and a lot of work. I'm averaging about 40 listings per week and right now 22 are BIN's.
Only the 'hot' coins like Morgan Dollars and Silver Eagles are started at the 99-cent opening bid auction style.

The more unusual ones take off such as rainbow toned, etc.

At the beginning of this year when I started my ebay business, I had about 100 BIN listings to start with. During the year, I was able to sell numerous bars/rounds/coins for a profit and reinvesting those profits into other silver art bars/rounds for resale (and eventual profit) has helped me triple my ebay BIN listings. Lately, I started this month by banking a large part of my June profits into my bank business checking account because I have not found any '70's silver art bars for resale. I usually spend my FRNs in my Paypal business account first to buy more inventory. I treat my Paypal business account as my "operating account" to buy more '70's silver art bars and other collectible silver inventory to resell.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
If the US Supreme Court rules in favor of South Dakota, then the Internet Sales Tax could adversely affect me as an internet small business as well as people who regularly sell (and buy) numi coins and bullion and other items on ebay and elsewhere online. The Internet Sales Tax law is currently at the US Supreme Court will a decision on it will be made next month. As a small business owner that does business on the Internet, I strongly oppose this Internet Sales Tax.

Here is a story of what I am talking about (dated April 17, 2018):

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-with-e-commerce-sales-tax-case-idUSKBN1HO0I0

Not to intentionally derail your thread but....................................SCOTUS ruled in South Dakota's favor. Online customers will get charged online sales taxes from states for online purchases...............

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme-court-rules-in-internet-sales-tax-case/

Yeah that will go well for me for my online/ebay business if I have to be forced to charge sales taxes to customers that do not live in Tennessee. [INSERT SARCASM SMILEY HERE]

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Yeah, I heard Silver-Art........ I'm so pissed I can't even post anything worth of value without lots of flaming cursing involved.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
From my understanding this particular ruling will not impact small ebay sellers.

I feel stupid, I did not see that. Can you point me to where you saw that? I do not know how I missed that.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
From my understanding this particular ruling will not impact small ebay sellers.
Yes, we need to see where 'small sellers' are exempt. Is it based on annual revenue ?