• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Numis & Coin shows

stas3000

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
Very nice piece, bemac! I have zero Kazakh coins currently. Hope to get some eventually. Wondering where they are made and who the designers were/are. Well done and cool character, sort of a "Robin Hood" of the Kazakh tradition.

Per Numista, 4k were minted:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces30391.html

Some months ago I picked up a few Ukrainian Angels. One was a proof strike. Apparently, those are made in Kiev by the local government mint which was surprising. Didn't know they had equipment/tooling of that sort there. Very nice coins as well. Here is what they look like:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254569832477

Last edited:

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
it's sorta surprising they would produce any coins at all

beautiful detail in the designs

stas3000

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
it's sorta surprising they would produce any coins at all

beautiful detail in the designs
Oh yeah, they do and make a variety of ordinary coins for circulation but I thought that silver/gold, proofs, etc would be outsourced to some German, Austrian or private mint elsewhere. The dealer and the cert both indicated "Made in Ukraine" - pretty cool.

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
the avenues for collecting precious metals are so vast, the offerings, so large, there will always be something out there that will be 'new' to me

and, maybe it's just the designs, the devices these coins have, not modern, indicative of something historic, something 'grand', good character representation, unlike some modern designs borne of the need to propagandize rather than to indicate 'strength' or solidarity, modern designs focus on the individual, or the abstract, which creates poor art from the git-go

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
A coin you seldom see is Hutt river province one silver KOALA. below is the history of the coin .999 , I was luck to pick some up at melt years back, they no longer exist

Principality of Hutt River
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Hutt River Province)
Jump to navigationJump to search
Principality of Hutt River
Micronation
1970–2020
Flag of PHR
Flag
Seal of PHR
Seal
Motto: Dum Spiro Spero
"While I Breathe, I Hope"
Anthem: "It's a Hard Land" by Keith Kerwin
Location of PHR
Location 28°4′28″S 114°28′14.5″E
Capital Nain
Official languages English
(official language)
French, Esperanto
(per constitution)[1]
Ethnic groups Anglo-Celtic Australians, Australian Aborigines (Nunda Tribe)
Demonym(s) Hutt Riverian
Organizational structure Principality
• First monarch
Prince Leonard I
• Last monarch
Prince Graeme I
Establishment
History
• Declared independence
21 April 1970[2]
• Dissolved
3 August 2020
• Established
• Disestablished
Area claimed
• Total
75 km2 (29 sq mi)
Population
• Estimate
26 (2019)[3]
Purported currency Hutt River Dollar, tied 1:1 with the Australian Dollar
Time zone UTC+08:00
Preceded by Succeeded by
Western Australia
Western Australia
The Principality of Hutt River, often referred to by its former name, the Hutt River Province, was a micronation in Australia. The principality claimed to be an independent sovereign state, founded on 21 April 1970. It was dissolved on 3 August 2020.

The principality was located 517 km (354 mi) north of Perth, near the town of Northampton in the state of Western Australia. It had an area of 75 square kilometres (29 sq mi), making it larger than several independent countries. It was not recognised as a country by the Australian Government nor any other national government, and the High Court of Australia and Supreme Court of Western Australia rejected submissions arguing that it was not subject to Australian laws.[4]

The principality was a regional tourist attraction until it announced it was closed to tourists after 31 January 2020.[5][6] It issued its own currency, stamps and passports (which are not recognised by the Australian government or any other government).[7] The micronation was founded on 21 April 1970 when Leonard Casley declared his farm to be an independent country, the Hutt River Province. He attempted to secede from Australia over a dispute concerning wheat production quotas. A few years later, Casley began styling himself as "Prince Leonard" and granting family members royal titles, although he did not include the word "principality" in the official name until 2006.

In February 2017, at the age of 91 and after ruling for 45 years, Casley abdicated the throne in favour of his youngest son,[8] Prince Graeme.[9][10] Prince Leonard died on 13 February 2019.[11][12]

In December 2019 the principality announced that it would close its borders and cease its external government services as of 31 January 2020, until further notice.[13] On 3 August 2020 the principality formally dissolved.[14]

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
What is the date/denomination of the coin?

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
What is the date/denomination of the coin?

5.00 minted a few years 1990
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces56505.html

5 Dollars - Leonard I Koala
5 Dollars - Leonard I (Koala) - obverse5 Dollars - Leonard I (Koala) - reverse
Features
Country Hutt River
Prince Leonard I (1970-2017)
Type Non-circulating coin
Year 1990
Value 5 Dollars (5)
Currency Dollar (1974-2020)
Composition Silver (.999)
Weight 31 g
Shape Round
References X# 28
Commemorative issue
Koala

Obverse
Lettering:
HUTT RIVER PROVINCE
ONE TROY OZ. .999 SILVER
FIVE DOLLARS

Reverse
Lettering:
ONE SILVER KOALA
AUSTRALIA'S TEDDY BEAR

Edge
Reeded

See also
Marsupials
1 Silver Koala Photo
Manage my collection
To manage your collection, please log in.

I wish to get it
I don't wish to get it
Date VG F VF XF AU UNC
1990 Proof
Get this coin
No member from this site currently wants to exchange it.

Numista Rarity index: 95 Search tips
Bullion value: 26.04 USD Search tips
» Buy coins from the Hutt Rive

Last edited:

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Anyone been to a coin show lately? If so, was it jam-packed with attendees?

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I went to my LCS a couple weeks ago and he said that he had been to a coin show the day before and he bought eagles because there was no other silver available. I bought what few 5 oz bars he had and some junk silver, he had no rounds and no 10 ouncers.

bemac

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Not especially my way, the same faces as usual with a few new ones. A few of the new ones who showed were big buyers though. I watched one guy buy a thousand ounces of Ag and then kept going to other tables.

That's a lot of silver to haul around a coin show.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
He had a two wheel cart with some sort of hard briefcase/satchel which seemed to work for putting it all away and transport.
One time we had a wealthy stranger show up and buy all the gold at the entire show, this monthly show covers a metro area of about 2 million people.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
When the shit hit the fan and they wacked silver to around 9,00 i was going aroud at fun show buying 100 oz bars at melt holding them in a canvas shoulder pouch, kicked my ass. Had to make a couple trips to car. to unload

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
our 'precious dump' of a State is literally still closed

no bourse for me!