• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Nutrition for dogs

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My dog's veterinarian put her on a bland diet when she had diarrhea. I boiled chicken thighs and drumsticks with skin removed in the right amount of water to cook the rice. Of course I de-boned the the chicken and chopped it up after it was cooked. The finished dish was basically chicken protein, rice carbs and whatever fat leached from the chicken into the rice-water. No seasoning of any kind. Bland.

Problem: Molly loves it. I had to spoon some of it over her regular canned food to jump start her appetite. I don't mind cooking for my dog -- it's OK to spoil her as she nears the end of life. But, is chicken boiled in rice an adequate diet? What's missing?

Last edited:

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Vitamins.

Any other questions?

jk idk the answer

On a side note I’ve seen videos of people feeding puppies and dogs raw meat and letting them eat the organs like the liver for nutrients.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Vitamins.

Any other questions?

jk idk the answer

On a side note I’ve seen videos of people feeding puppies and dogs raw meat and letting them eat the organs like the liver for nutrients.
Well, that's what I thought. But what kind of vitamins do wild dogs and wolves get? Should I be throwing in some chopped carrots or peas?
And would that be for her, or for my benefit?

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Leave the skin in the broth and pull the bones. fat does a dog good. Too many bones will make a stone and plug the dog up....then it is finger up the but to make sure it is a stone plugging up the dog. Then it is mineral enemas to help move.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I’ve had 4 huskies, 2 lived to be ABOUT 15 and the other About 12 ish.

They ate regular dog food mixed with rice and some human leftovers or some regular crunchy dog food mixed with the mushy dog food out the can.

The future me will be feeding them raw foods 100% and I’ll see if it kills them.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My dog's veterinarian put her on a bland diet when she had diarrhea. I boiled chicken thighs and drumsticks with skin removed in the right amount of water to cook the rice. Of course I de-boned the the chicken and chopped it up after it was cooked. The finished dish was basically chicken protein, rice carbs and whatever fat leached from the chicken into the rice-water. No seasoning of any kind. Bland.

Problem: Molly loves it. I had to spoon some of it over her regular canned food to jump start her appetite. I don't mind cooking for my dog -- it's OK to spoil her as she nears the end of life. But, is chicken boiled in rice an adequate diet? What's missing?
You're probably fine. I've had many a chicken and rice dinner over the years and I'm ok. With few exceptions,, I think our animals eat better than we do. I've gone around in circles over this again and again - grain ? no grain ? etc. What dog food manufacturer put fillers and crap in their food. There's no end to it. I'm lucky in that i have a 3 yo 120# rottie . He'll eat anything. I can't afford to feed him filet mignon, but I pay close attention to his diet. he's eating a mix of beef and brown rice at the moment. I switch it up on occasion. I doubt he gives a damn - makes me feel good, though

He gets some good duck jerky, too and I give him whole huge carrots. He loves them . I think it helps keep his teeth and gums clean

For diarrhea, (per dog breeders/trainers) I give mine half a can of plain pumpkin - no spicy stuff for pie filling, just plain $0.69 can of mashed pumpkin - He's over the diarrhea (and any vomiting) in a day

My 16 year old cat had liver disease and more. He was definitely on his way out. The vet gave me shitty bland cat food for him. He wouldn't eat it. I gave him IV fluids every other day, till he got sick and tired of that

I opted to let him eat some real good food. salmon, chicken, healthy cat treats and more . He wolfed it all down, got to looking pretty good again, but it didn't last long. He left this world well fed and purring - fwiw

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Dog diarrhea has got to be messy, but I would rather my dogs have the runs than me.
She does her business outside so if I didn't pay attention, I'd never know. I think the stress of being left boarded for 14 days probably did her in. But I watched the videos; she had a heck of a good time.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We only rescue dogs that no one else wants. We are down to two. Logan is a Newfoundland/Flat Coated Retriever mix and Baxter is a Landseer (aka black and white Newfoundland). Logan is an epileptic and Baxter has cataracts.

We've had them for almost six years now. For the first year we fed Logan the same as the others. Hard kibble, with rice, hotdogs (BAD JUJU), and scrambled eggs.

After reading and talking with the people who sell CBD oil, we STOPPED feeding any of our dogs that meal. Especially the HOTDOGS (mystery meat).

NOW?

Our dogs only get people food.

We start with bottom round steak, hamburger and chicken, then we add white potatoes, sweet potatoes and green beans. We feed them both about a half pound of steak, half a sirloin burger each, and they each get basically a chicken breast and a small piece of dark chicken meat every day. Plus two smaller white potatoes, one large sweet potato and a large handfull of frozen green beans between them (real scientific, I know, I know).

dog food for two.jpg

Ever since we stopped feeding the dog food, Logan's seizures went from one a day - to once every eight months during 2015/2016.

Logan get 600mg of phenobarb every day, two or three CBD biscuits that have 2.5 g of CDB oil and .5 ml of CBD oil every day.

And we have written down everything he has eaten and when he has seizures, we right them down. We've been keeping track of it since the beginning of 2015.

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
She does her business outside so if I didn't pay attention, I'd never know. I think the stress of being left boarded for 14 days probably did her in. But I watched the videos; she had a heck of a good time.
Actually you can treat diarrhea in dogs ( or humans for that matter) quickly and safely with the herb slippery elm. Works great and quickly with no side effects. Here is a <link> for canine.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We've been saying our dogs eat better than we do. I just cooked 10 sirloin burgers on the grill in the last hour that we will use to feed for them over the next week or so. I occasionally cook a couple of patties for the wife and I for dinner! Twice a month, I cook 10/14 lbs of the bottom round on the grill as well.

As you can see, it is true.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Only people food for dogs is probably fine but their teeth will suffer unless you would be willing to brush them regularly- just like yours would if you didn't brush your teeth regularly. That would be the big thing as I see it. They need to chew on things like bones or other hard, cleaning type of chews or sticks to keep their teeth clean. If you do give them bones, just make sure they are raw because if they are cooked they can splinter and lodge in their guts.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
They actually get MILK BONES two or three times every day. Logan likes the large ones and Baxter likes the medium ones.

We have NEVER had problems with any of our dogs teeth over the past thirty plus years. Which his how long we've been rescuing dogs. Baxter and Logan are rescues #15 & #16.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We only rescue dogs that no one else wants. We are down to two. Logan is a Newfoundland/Flat Coated Retriever mix and Baxter is a Landseer (aka black and white Newfoundland). Logan is an epileptic and Baxter has cataracts.

We've had them for almost six years now. For the first year we fed Logan the same as the others. Hard kibble, with rice, hotdogs (BAD JUJU), and scrambled eggs.

After reading and talking with the people who sell CBD oil, we STOPPED feeding any of our dogs that meal. Especially the HOTDOGS (mystery meat).

NOW?

Our dogs only get people food.

We start with bottom round steak, hamburger and chicken, then we add white potatoes, sweet potatoes and green beans. We feed them both about a half pound of steak, half a sirloin burger each, and they each get basically a chicken breast and a small piece of dark chicken meat every day. Plus two smaller white potatoes, one large sweet potato and a large handfull of frozen green beans between them (real scientific, I know, I know).

View attachment 142947

Ever since we stopped feeding the dog food, Logan's seizures went from one a day - to once every eight months during 2015/2016.

Logan get 600mg of phenobarb every day, two or three CBD biscuits that have 2.5 g of CDB oil and .5 ml of CBD oil every day.

And we have written down everything he has eaten and when he has seizures, we right them down. We've been keeping track of it since the beginning of 2015.

Good post Wallew. You're definitely on to something. They advertise those ingredients on a bag of dog food and sell it for $40 - $60 a bag. So why not server it up raw ? I spend a good deal of money buying good food for my animals, but sometimes I think I'm getting taken for a ride. Dogs used to eat raw animal meat anytime they hunted for themselves . raw chicken and other birds, squirrels, rabbits, and more

Gonna give this a shot. Try making my own food for him now ... see how it turns out
I'm told not to change his diet too quick as dog's digestive systems can't handle it . I wonder if that's really true. in the wild, if he caught a chicken in the AM and a squirrel or rabbit later in the day would he puke ? I don't think so.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Dogs used to eat raw animal meat anytime they hunted for themselves . raw chicken and other birds, squirrels, rabbits, and more
My dog, "Porthos" eats random pieces of animals he finds by the road. Or wherever he finds those pieces. I give him kibble and cuttings from the ten pound bags of legs and thighs I buy for 65 cents a pound at Walmart. He seems to be doing very well after his rattlesnake incident.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My dog, "Porthos" eats random pieces of animals he finds by the road. Or wherever he finds those pieces. I give him kibble and cuttings from the ten pound bags of legs and thighs I buy for 65 cents a pound at Walmart. He seems to be doing very well after his rattlesnake incident.
Glad to hear he's recovery from the snake bite. I've seen those up close. very bad