• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Obamaland

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
MARK GLENNON ON GOVERNMENT
Public money for the Obama Center? Just say no, Mr. President.

By: MARK GLENNON

A rendering of the Obama Presidential Center

Mr. President, the state of Illinois recently budgeted $172 million for the Obama Center to be built in Chicago. You should raise that money privately from your supporters and reject the state funding.
Do that and the controversy already surrounding the center might abate. Take the money from taxpayers and the center will be known forever as Obamaland, a monument to little more than misuse of government power, hubris and Chicago machine control over Illinois government. Here's why.
The vision for the center morphed from a presidential library, privately funded, to something very different. Your foundation's request for proposals in 2014 explicitly described a presidential library and contained nothing about state funding. "Construction and maintenance will be funded by private donations, and no taxpayer money will go to the foundation," the foundation's spokeswoman said, and the interpretation was that you and your wife assured 100 percent private funding.
It turns out, however, that the center will not be a presidential library because your archives and documents will not be there. Since what's left without the library is unquestionably political, at least in large part, funding should not be forced on taxpayers.

You've been open about its political mission. The RFP described "an institute that will enhance the pursuit of the president's initiatives beyond 2017 and have local, regional and global impacts." You've said, "What we want this to be is the world's premier institution for training young people and?leadership to make a difference in their communities, in their countries?and in the world."
The notion of state funding came out of nowhere last year when Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan suggested perhaps $100 million. Then, last month, with no public debate or legislative hearings, $172 million appeared in the Illinois budget presented to the General Assembly for vote with no time for review. We know how that happened: Chicago politicians simply asked for it, and they control the General Assembly.
The money is for mass transit and roadways associated with the center, but that's part and parcel of the project—the Metra train station and roadwork is necessitated by the center. Because it's for roadways, much of the state money will be reimbursed by the federal government, but that's no consolation. Taxpayers outside Illinois, who won't benefit from any economic impact, have even more reason to object than Illinoisans.

The end result is a "bait and switch," the term used in a federal lawsuit recently filed by Protect Our Parks against Chicago objecting to the transfer of parkland for the center. You may say the switch wasn't by design or resulted from misunderstandings, but people now being forced to pay will come to understand that a privately funded presidential library became a publicly funded political operation. Because of the taxpayer support for a political purpose, Protect Our Parks appropriately included a First Amendment violation in its complaint.
For Chicagoans, anger will deepen if the special, add-on property tax already authorized to support the center (described in paragraph 119 of the complaint) is levied. Illinois quietly amended its Museum Act in 2016 to authorize that tax, which got no media coverage.
Mr. President, you could raise the money elsewhere. Your supporters remain loyal. Many are wealthy and would take pride having their names somewhere on the project. The choice is yours: The Obama Center or Obamaland.

Mark Glennon is founder and executive editor of Wirepoints, an independent research and commentary organization.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
classic Obozo selfishness

The Chicago leftists don’t want it, the right doesn’t want it, taxpayers don’t want it

So let’s skip the traditional private donor route and force it on the public

Thanks Obama

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Maybe if they just changed the name to ........ ummmmmmmmm....... The affordable and loved presidential care center.........
“I’ve got a phone and a Pen Presidential Center”

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
How about the anti-colonial, marxist-progressivist, western civilizational deconstructionist, youth indoctrination center for a distopian future?

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Lets do a bait and switch on his bait and switch. When he goes in for the grand opening he finds out the unbreakable glass windows don't open and the door can only be opened from the outside. Leave a note that he can find on the inside. "Taxpayers decided to build you a prison instead of an indoctrination center.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
The architect must be on LSD. WTF are they thinking?...
This thing would be so much better if we had some Shrooms, too....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The architect must be on LSD. WTF are they thinking?

obvious evil post apocalyptic hellhole in the vain of "modern art" .

The trees remind me of this:
15228663590041582567042001.jpg

And This: Which is the "art" outside the Walton's "Crystal Bridges" modern crap museum...

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Where's all the wind generators? Shouldn't that whole area be covered in wind generators?

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Where's all the wind generators? Shouldn't that whole area be covered in wind generators?
It’ll soon be covered with police tape from all the shootings. Being built in Chicago afterall

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
It gets worse by the day...

Obamaland Fiasco Worsens, Story Goes National

By: Mark Glennon*

The taxpayer bill for the Obama Center to be built on Chicago’s Southside now appears to be $224 million, not $172 million as initially reported, and it’s certainly not privately funded as initially promised. And how many Chicagoans know they may be subject to a special property tax, in addition to those amounts, for the center?

The elements of that $224 million are described in a Washington Examiner article yesterday. We shouldn’t be surprised because funding was stuck into the new Illinois budget — over 900 pages presented to the General Assembly only hours before being voted on it. It’s only now being read closely.

My monthly article in Crain’s, written early last week, is a polite request to former President Obama to turn down public funding and raise the money himself. Scratch that. With more known and public anger rising, a demand is in order, and maybe the whole project should be scrapped.

The public has been bamboozled. To see why, you should first understand what’s nicely laid out in the federal lawsuit filed last month by Protect Our Parks, a not-for-profit.

That lawsuit is focused mostly on how the transfer of parkland for the center to the Obama Foundation trampled state law. The case looks strong. The complaint is in plain English and straightforward so you can read it yourself. Jackson Park is among the finest parks in Chicago and beautiful by any city’s standards. Some of it is being taken for the center with no compensation.

To get the parkland transfer properly authorized, Springfield amended the state’s Museum Act to cover the center, which the complaint describes. That’s how authorization for additional property taxes also resulted because the Museum Act provides for that. See paragraph 119 of the complaint.

That tax money forms the basis of a First Amendment claim, which is also in the complaint. The First Amendment not only protects free speech, but has also frequently been used to strike down “compelled speech.” Using taxpayer money for political purposes can be challenged as compelled speech. (Coincidentally, compelled speech is also central to the Janus case on forced public union membership, an important decision on which will come this month.)

Why would the Obama Center be compelled speech? That’s where the “bait and switch” happened, which is the phrase used in the lawsuit. A presidential library became Obamaland.

The center was initially pitched as a presidential library to be privately funded. Per my Crain’s article: “Your foundation’s request for proposals in 2014 explicitly described a presidential library and contained nothing about state funding. ‘Construction and maintenance will be funded by private donations, and no taxpayer money will go to the foundation,’ the foundation’s spokeswoman said, and the interpretation was that you and your wife assured 100 percent private funding.”

Planning how to spend your money.
But that’s not what we got.

The center will not be a presidential library because Obama’s archives and documents won’t be there there and it won’t be federally run. From my Crain’s article:

What’s left without the library is unquestionably political, at least in large part….

You’ve been open about its political mission. The RFP described “an institute that will enhance the pursuit of the president’s initiatives beyond 2017 and have local, regional and global impacts.” You’ve said,“What we want this to be is the world’s premier institution for training young people and leadership to make a difference in their communities, in their countries and in the world.”

And now, with no public debate or legislative hearings, $172 million appeared in the Illinois budget presented to the General Assembly for vote with no time for review. We know how that happened: Chicago politicians simply asked for it, and they control the General Assembly.

The money is for mass transit and roadways associated with the center, but that’s part and parcel of the project…. [M]uch of the state money will be reimbursed by the federal government, but that’s no consolation. Taxpayers outside Illinois, who won’t benefit from any economic impact, have even more reason to object than Illinoisans.

Protect Our Parks’ lawsuit was filed before the budget was published and the state money became known. I assume the complaint will be amended to describe the state funding, which bolsters the First Amendment claim.

But forget the legal aspect. This is just wrong. Taxpayers shouldn’t be funding an Obama political operation and the whole thing stinks. $224 million is a lot of many that Illinois desperately needs. Obama could easily raise it from his friends. Heck, just those folks giving a standing ovation to Robert De Niro at the Tony Awards probably would be glad to cover it and get their names somewhere on the center.

Beyond the Washington Examiner article, FOX News and others are now on the story. Our initial storyon this from June 1 was also reproduced nationally. More will come.

Maybe the controversy would abate if Obama rejects the public money and raises it privately.

He probably won’t. He’ll take the money from taxpayers and the center will be known forever as Obamaland, a monument to little more than misuse of government power, hubris and Chicago machine control over Illinois government.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
A mud hut from Kenya would seem more appropriate. It would be an accurate representation of his destruction of the country.
But with all the chicongo bribes it would still cost a billion in payoff's & bribes.
1529335361280.png

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Classic Obama, lie like a rug with a million dollar smile

If you like you’re private funding....

FE7D903B-E99B-4944-9480-4950B30CA78D.jpeg

Last edited:

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Now, if Obama were locked up, this might not be happening

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
A mud hut from Kenya would seem more appropriate. It would be an accurate representation of his destruction of the country.
But with all the chicongo bribes it would still cost a billion in payoff's & bribes.
That must be his brother's mansion in Kenya.

BARACK BROTHER IN SHACK SHOCK
By Andy Soltis and Post Wires
August 21, 2008 | 7:54am

Barack Obama‘s long-lost half-brother has surfaced in Kenya – living like a recluse on less than $1 a month and hiding his family ties.
George Hussein Onyango Obama, 25, said he’s embarrassed to reveal his identity – because he makes his home in a 6-by-9-foot hut on the outskirts of Nairobi while his world-famous brother is hoping to move into the White House.

“If anyone says something about my surname, I say we are not related; I am ashamed,” he told the Italian Vanity Fair. “No one knows who I am.”
Barack Obama, 47, wrote warmly about his youngest half-brother in his autobiography, describing him as a “beautiful boy with a rounded head.”
The two men – 22 years apart in age – have only met twice. Once was when George was 5. The other was during the Illinois senator’s emotional tour of east Africa in 2006.

“It was very brief. We spoke for just a few minutes,” George told the magazine. “It was like meeting a complete stranger.”
Since Barack Obama became a celebrity, several relatives have shared in his fame, including half-brother Bernard, a Kenyan auto-parts dealer who was front-page news when he visited England last month.

But until now, almost nothing was known about George, who was born to Barack’s father, Barack Sr., and his fourth wife.

Barack Sr.’s second wife was American Ann Dunham, the mother of the future senator. But the marriage failed, and after completing his studies in the United States, he returned to Kenya, where he became a senior government economist.
He fathered seven other children, the youngest being George.

Italy’s Vanity Fair tracked George Obama down to the violent Kenyan town of Huruma, where he lives alone in a shack adorned with soccer posters, a calendar depicting beaches around the world, and a front-page newspaper photo of the Democratic presidential nominee-to-be.
George Obama said he has no contact with his mother, and apparently has cut himself off from the rest of the family.
“I have had to learn to live and take what I need,” he said.

He said he was homeless for 10 years, including when Sen. Obama visited Nairobi two years ago. His home now, the shanty town of Huruma, is “a tough place,” he said.

“I have seen two of my friends killed,” he added. “I have scars from defending myself with my fists. I am good with my fists.”

Other members of the extended Obama family have remained close.

Barack Obama and half-brother Malik Obama, a Kenyan accountant, were the best man at each other’s weddings.

“As far as I’m concerned, we are one family,” Malik said in 2004.

In Barack Obama‘s book, he said he was a young adult when he found out about George from his half-sister Auma. In 1988, he met George and several other relatives for the first time when he visited Africa and introduced his wife, Michelle, to the family.

“I took comfort in the fact that perhaps one day, when he was older, George might want to know who his father had been and who his brothers and sisters were,” he wrote. “And if he ever came to me, I would be there for him, to tell him the story I knew.”

But George Obama is living apart from his family.

“I live like a recluse. No one knows I exist,” he said.

https://nypost.com/2008/08/21/barack-brother-in-shack-shock/

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Lawsuit filed to block Obama Presidential Center in Chicago
18th June 2018
(The Chicago Crusader) –
Days before the Chicago Plan Commission approved plans for the Obama Presidential Center, a federal lawsuit was filed to block the proposed $500 million facility that will be built in Jackson Park.

The 500-acre park is located in Chicago’s predominately Black Woodlawn and South Shore neighborhoods, where former First Lady Michelle Obama, rapper Kanye West and some of the nation’s most prominent Blacks once lived. On Thursday, May 17, the Chicago Plan Commission unanimously approved the blueprints for the Obama Presidential Center, despite emotional appeals from protestors who are concerned that the library will eventually drive up rents in the neighborhoods and force out longtime, low-income residents. The plans now go before the city’s 50-member city council. While those plans are expected to pass that stage, the Obama Foundation faces a lawsuit that may be its biggest hurdle yet.

Chicago’s Jackson Park is the proposed of the Obama Presidential Center, but a new lawsuit threatens its future.

The lawsuit was filed on Monday, May 14 by “Protect Our Parks,” a nonprofit organization that seeks a court order to “bar the Park District and the City from approving the building of the Presidential Center and from conveying any interest in or control of the Jackson Park site to the Foundation.”

In its complaint, Protect Our Parks accuses the Chicago Park District of an “institutional bait and switch.” The organization said the park district transferred public land to the Obama Foundation to house an official federal Obama Federal Library. But that purpose changed when Obama decided his center will not be his official library. Instead, the federal National Records and Archives Administration will run it in another location. In the lawsuit, Protect Our Parks called Chicago’s plan to lease public park space an “illegal land grab.”

The organization also said the transfer of park land to a non-governmental private entity violates the park district code. In addition, Protect Our Parks said the park district and the city will receive only token rent for the land and the Park District Act law “does not authorize the Park District itself to transfer valuable public trust land for virtually no compensatory return.”

Protect Our Parks says that city officials are “prohibited by law” from turning over public park land to a non-governmental private entity for private use.

At a meeting on May 17, the commission was expected to take up a resolution authorizing a long-term ground lease for 19.3 acres in Jackson Park from the city to the Obama Foundation. In March 2015, Chicago’s city council approved an ordinance for Chicago Park District land in Jackson Park to be transferred to the city of Chicago to lease to the Obama Foundation.

Protect Our Parks’ lawsuit may force planning officials to rewrite the ordinance.

Protect Our Parks is being represented by Roth Fioretti; Robert Fioretti is a former Chicago alderman who challenged Mayor Rahm Emanuel in 2015 before endorsing Emanuel in the run-off. More recently, Fioretti was defeated in a March Democratic primary bid for Cook County Board president.

In an emailed statement, Emanuel’s mayoral spokesman Grant Klinzman said, “The Obama Presidential Center is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to invest hundreds of millions of dollars that will create good jobs on the South Side, bring our communities together and honor the legacy of Chicago’s favorite son and daughter. While some choose to stand in the way of progress for the South Side, we are focused on making progress in every community in Chicago.”

But later that day, Emanuel at an event called the lawsuit frivolous and said that the “notion that somehow this is not a presidential library, because the actual papers will be in New York…to me not only is frivolous, but means the people that filed this don’t understand the 21st century,” he added. “The good news is, the presidential papers will be in two places but there will be only one library, here in Chicago.”

Emanuel said that the papers will be digitized.

Juanita Irizarry, executive director of Friends of the Parks, also released a statement, saying officials with the group welcome the Obama Center to the South Side “but disagree with the choice to locate it on public parkland, rather than vacant land across the street from Washington Park.”

“While we are not involved with this lawsuit in any way, it is an indication of the fact the Friends of the Parks is not alone in our concern about Chicago’s parks being seen as sites for real estate development,” Irizarry said.

Plans have not gone smoothly for the library since President Barack Obama announced that Jackson Park will be the location of his library in 2016. Residents in Woodlawn and South Shore have held numerous protests demanding that the Obama Foundation sign a community benefits agreement as concerns of neighborhood gentrification and rising rents continue to grow. Despite their concerns, Obama has said that a community benefits agreement is not necessary, because his library is an automatic benefit to the neighborhoods.

Attachments

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Surprise! US Taxpayers, Not Illinoisans, Will Cover Most Of The Public Funding For Obama-Land Fiasco In Chicago

by Tyler Durden
Sun, 07/01/2018 - 23:15

Authored by Mark Glennon via WirePoints.com,

Only now has it become apparent that federal taxpayers, not Illinoisans, will be funding most of the public support for the controversial Obama Center to be built on Chicago’s Southside.

Wirepoints has learned from administrative officials and legislators that at least $139 million — 80% of the public funding for the center — almost certainly will be reimbursed by the federal government. The project was already under attack for a number of other reasons, including a First Amendment “compelled speech” claim that it would force taxpayers to fund private, political advocacy.

The center was initially pitched as a privately funded presidential library. Many Illinois taxpayers therefore were angered to learn that at least $174 million was included in the state’s 1,246-page budget presented in May to rank and file General Assembly members only hours before their vote. Nor will the center be a presidential library.

However, it turns out that federal taxpayers will be the ones compelled to make the subsidy. The Illinois appropriation is for roadway and transit reconfigurations needed to accommodate the center, and 80% of such spending is generally reimbursable by the federal government. Wirepoints has confirmed with state officials that federal reimbursement of at least $139 million is highly likely.

Stoking the controversy is the stated mission of the center, which is partly political. The Original Request for Proposals said the center would “enhance the pursuit of [President Obama’s] initiatives beyond 2017.” Former President Obama has further commented to the same effect. As the Chicago Tribune put it, “As he’s long maintained, Obama said he envisions his center as a place where young people from around the world can meet each other, get training and prepare to become the next generation of leaders.”

The center is already subject to a federal lawsuit with a First Amendment claim based on taxpayer support for a private, political purpose. A lawsuit of that type is difficult to win, but it may be bolstered by the recent Janus decision by the United States Supreme Court.

Janus was based on the prohibition of compelled speech, and that same doctrine underpins the First Amendment claim about the center.
Here are the details and background:

Contrary to its clear, initial description as a presidential library, it won’t be one. The center will be owned and run by the Obama Foundation, not the National Archives and Records Administration, as are presidential libraries. Obama’s records, artifacts and papers will not be there.

Initial claims that it would be funded entirely with private money also evaporated. “Construction and maintenance will be funded by private donations, and no taxpayer money will go to the foundation,” the foundation’s spokeswoman said. The interpretation was that assured 100 percent private funding.

Obama Center rendering, to be built on part of Jackson Park

WTTW, a public television station in Chicago, askedthe obvious question when the idea of state funding first floated:

“How could could a public financing proposal fly in a state that is bleeding red ink, especially when the Obamas have promised 100 percent private funding?”

That’s easy to answer in Illinois. Chicago politicians asked for it and they get what they want. “Another fast one by Chicago pols,” as one Illinois paper put it.

“To give credit where credit is due, when Chicago/Illinois politicians come together on a scheme to fleece the public and demonstrate that they are a law unto themselves, they think big.”

The federal lawsuit was filed by Protect our Parks, a not-for-profit. It alleges that the transfer of land from Chicago’s Jackson Park to the Obama Foundation, at no cost, violated state law a number of ways. It was a “bait and switch,” the legal complaint says. The land was transferred under the pretense of being a privately funded presidential library but in fact will be used for a private purpose.

The First Amendment claim in the lawsuit is particularly interesting. The suit was filed prior to Illinois’ appropriation of money for the center. The claim is based, instead, on authorization for a special property tax levy for the center. Using any source of taxpayer money for a private political purpose may violate the First Amendment because it is compelled speech.

But now, with the state appropriation completed and federal reimbursement uncovered, much more money is at issue and it’s a matter for all Americans.

And just last week the United States Supreme Court delivered the Janus opinion, which was particularly firm on the prohibition of compelled speech. From the majority opinion:

Forcing free and independent individuals to endorse ideas they find objectionable is always demeaning, and for this reason, one of our land mark free speech cases said that a law commanding “in voluntary affirmation” of objected-to beliefs would require “even more immediate and urgent grounds” than a law demanding silence.

“Compelling a person to subsidize the speech of other private speakers raises similar First Amendment concerns,” added the court. That’s what’s alleged in the lawsuit against the Obama Foundation — forcing taxpayers to subsidize the a center to be used to preach Obama’s politics.

Jackson Park today

It’s conceivable federal reimbursement will not materialize. Illinois could elect to pay towards the center though a bond offering, in which case, we are told by state officials, reimbursement is not available. The state could also essentially elect to use its access to federal reimbursement for other projects. Again, however, those possibilities are not anticipated, according to our sources, and federal reimbursement is fully expected.

Indeed, when a few Republican lawmakers objected to inclusion of funding for the center in the budget, they were told by party leadership not to be concerned because of the federal reimbursement. Illinois Rep. Jeanne Ives (R-Wheaton), told me this:

“During the budget discussion, when objections were raised about spending $172 million on infrastructure improvements for the Obama project, we were assured by Republican leadership not to worry since 80 percent of the cost would be picked up by the federal government.”​

Some may argue that spending for roadway and transit reconfiguration isn’t really part of the project. That’s specious. The spending is necessitated entirely by the project. It’s part and parcel of the center.

The precise amount of taxpayer money to go towards the Obama Center is subject to some interpretation and dispute, though it’s at least $174 million. A specific appropriation for $180 million is in Section 105 on page 664 of the new Illinois budget, though we are told the current cost estimate is just $174. Another $12 million is appropriated in Section 100 on that page for a transit station, though there’s some opinion that the station is separate from the center. Together with other transit station money, the Washington Examiner pegged the grand total Illinois appropriation at $224 million. Accordingly, the 80% reimbursed by federal taxpayers may be significantly higher than $139 million.
That difference in the numbers matters little.

Nor does it matter whether the First Amendment claim is truly viable in court.

What matters is that funding by any taxpayers for the center is wrong and that the public has been duped. A privately funded presidential library morphed into a monument to hubris and the arrogance of power: Obamaland.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...ans-will-cover-most-public-funding-obama-land

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I guess they didn’t really lie about the source of funding. There is no public money...it’s all private funds confiscated/stolen/taxed (pick your word).

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
July 20, 2018

A challenge to the Obama Center reveals things we didn't know

Comments Print
By LYNNE MAREK

Photo by Stephen J. SerioThe Obama Presidential Center site includes 19 acres in Jackson Park.

Herb Caplan should know better than to fight City Hall, but when he spots what he considers a political fast one in Chicago, he just can't help himself.
That's why Protect Our Parks, a Chicago nonprofit he leads, is suing the city and Chicago Park District to stop the Obama Presidential Center from being built in Jackson Park. Caplan, 87, who once worked as a lawyer for former Mayor Harold Washington, calls the city plan to lease 19 Jackson Park acres to former President Barack Obama's foundation for $1 a "political manipulation" that breaks the law by handing over public land and tramples the city's legacy of open parks.
The federal lawsuit filed in May might seem a legal long shot, since the center is an ode to Obama, the city's favorite son. But Caplan's challenge forced the city last month to reveal that the Obama Center isn't quite the done deal that many Chicagoans think it is: The city hasn't reached key agreements or a lease with the foundation, and those pacts will require another new city ordinance to be passed sometime soon.

Retired lawyer Herb Caplan heads up Protect Our Parks, which successfully litigated against Latin School of Chicago's plan to remake a field in Lincoln Park a decade ago.

"The City Council has yet to introduce, much less enact, an ordinance authorizing the construction and operation of the center," the city's corporation counsel, Edward Siskel, said in a June 28 court filing in response to Caplan's suit. "As things currently stand, therefore, there is a significant gap in the approvals necessary for the project to proceed, and in the details of how the foundation will be authorized to use the site and operate the center."
The Obama Foundation plans to pay $350 million for construction of the center's monolithic 235-foot museum tower and three buildings for a library, programming and athletics, and pledged to cover operating costs.
The City Council voted 47-1 in May to transfer the Jackson Park parcel from the Chicago Park District to the city, along with zoning changes. That day, Mayor Rahm Emanuel took a congratulatory call from Obama, his former White House boss.
"We are confident that the lawsuit is without merit," says Shannon Breymaier, a spokeswoman for the city. "The Obama Presidential Center will be a uniquely valuable resource for all members of the public and will enhance the public's enjoyment of Jackson Park. The OPC continues the city's tradition of locating magnificent cultural institutions in public parks."
Breymaier expects another ordinance to be introduced "in the near future," though not necessarily at the upcoming July 25 meeting. The next regularly scheduled meeting is in September.
Multiple federal government reviews are also pending.
Located just south of the Museum of Science & Industry, between Stony Island Avenue on the west and a park lagoon on the east, the Obama campus would relocate an existing football field. It would also reconstruct Cornell Drive to create more park space at a cost of $175 million to cash-strapped Chicago and Illinois.
Obama says he wants the center to be an economic engine for the city's South Side and expects it to yield a $2.1 billion economic boost over 10 years ($3.1 billion for Cook County), based on accounting firm Deloitte's assessment. Obama's decision not to sign a pact with South Side organizations has also been controversial.
He initially planned for a presidential library, complete with presidential documents, foreign gifts and other artifacts, but later decided against sharing oversight with the federal National Archives & Records Administration. He opted instead to create the first digital presidential library, with physical remnants of his administration left in limbo.
HATCHING A PLAN
Caplan and fellow park lover Charlotte Adelman, both University of Chicago Law School alums, got to griping about the center over lunch at Ogilvie Transportation Center, and hatched a plan to call out the city's "bait and switch" land grab.
Adelman, a named plaintiff in the case, was concerned about "ever-diminishing open space and wildlife habitat," she says. Jackson Park's 500 leafy acres are filled with mature trees, many of which she laments will be cut down, disrupting wildlife and a migratory bird flyway, not to mention the open landscape envisioned by historic park designer Frederick Law Olmsted. The plaintiffs argue that a 2015 Museum Act amendment paving the way for the project was invalid, and that the park district doesn't have authority to transfer the land.
"No matter how they describe it, they're taking away parkland," says Caplan, calling it a bad precedent to set. He grew up in Pittsburgh and landed in Hyde Park on a full-ride scholarship at the University of Chicago, where he earned undergraduate and law degrees. His public-service career included work for Illinois Attorney General Bill Scott and, later, Washington during the 1980s Council Wars. "I've been there," he says. "I've been knocked around."
Now retired, Caplan lives on Lake Shore Drive on the North Side. Protect Our Parks has shrunk to about 25 members, and doesn't meet anymore, but the lawsuit has attracted donations, he says. The organization had about 200 members a decade ago when it successfully litigated against Latin School of Chicago's plan to remake a field in Lincoln Park.

The better-known Friends of the Parks nonprofit, which derailed the lakefront Lucas Museum with litigation, also opposes the planned Obama Center location but hasn't joined Caplan's lawsuit.
While Caplan suspects some will call him racist for fighting a project meant to honor America's first black president, in a largely African-American neighborhood, he's not opposed to the center. "We're all in favor of an Obama Center, we were all in favor of an Obama Library, just as long as it's not in a public park," he says.
He's also troubled by a lack of transparency, including his alma mater's refusal to release a copy of its winning Jackson Park bid. City staffers never saw it, either, according to Illinois Assistant Attorney General Laura Harter's response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

"The Obama Foundation committed in 2014 that the bids it received would be confidential, for use in its initial selection of a host city," says the university, where Obama also taught. "The university's bid included confidential information and remains private."
The foundation's chief engagement officer, Mike Strautmanis, says the plan evolved beyond the university proposal, with "thousands" of community meetings. The foundation also points to disclosures on its website.
Ald. Leslie Hairston, whose 5th Ward includes the park, says the center "is more than symbolic." She explains that Michelle Obama grew up in the 5th Ward and the Obamas lived there before moving to Kenwood. "He and Michelle were part of this neighborhood that they are now helping to invest in," she says.
Caplan and his band of plaintiffs aren't convinced that's worth the price of parkland.

Crain's reporter Lisa Bertagnoli contributed.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Unreal, Chicago is so damn corrupt, everybody has a handout.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I think the word “Obama” means “shady” in Kenyan

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
"underground parking lot" right next to the lake....... simply genius! :dduck: What could go wrong? :rage 1

Who would have ever guessed? But on the other hand a fitting tribute to a idiot that left the country in such bad shape.

1532181243654.png

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Just rename one of the sordid bath houses in his "honor," that would be most fitting. Cheaper too.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
If this Q guy is correct this museum may very well turn out to be a monument of shame devoted to political crimes.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
August 11, 2018
Obama Foundation’s monumental rip-off
By Thomas Lifson
The Obama Presidential Center planned for Chicago is nothing more than a personal monument to Barack Obama and a center for political indoctrination in his radical views. It serves no public purpose the way that a presidential library would. Obama’s presidential papers will not be housed there, and no scholars will be afforded the opportunity to explore the history of his presidency.
And, this is receiving vast public subsidies, despite assurances that it would be privately funded. Barack and Michelle Obama have been playing a major role in its design, in a fashion reminiscent of a dictator putting up monuments to himself in some third world country. As the revised design stands, it will look like a cenotaph bizarrely erected before the death and burial of its principal.
I have written several pieces about the folly of the OPC. But I am delighted to be joined in this by the Wall Street Journal. In an article there, Mark Glennon challenges the vast subsidies that all American taxpayers will be affording this personal and political endeavor:
Illinois taxpayers will put up at least $174 million for roadway and transit reconfigurations needed to accommodate the Obama Center. If you don’t live in Illinois, you may be smirking—but you’ll be footing the bill, too. Eighty percent of such spending is generally reimbursed by the federal government, and Illinois officials confirmed to me that they expect to receive $139 million from Washington if they request it.​
Bait and switch
Taxpayers were softened up by a bait and switch strategy:
In a 2014 request for proposal, the Obama Foundation said that the planned presidential library “will include an Institute that will enhance the pursuit of the President’s initiatives beyond 2017.” This institute now seems to have taken over the project. As the Chicago Tribune reported in February: “Obama said he envisions his center as a place where young people from around the world can meet each other, get training and prepare to become the next generation of leaders.” No doubt, his definition of “leaders” will be political.
Which raises the question of why the state and city are giving the Obama Center official support. Back when it was still being sold as an official presidential library, the city of Chicago took steps to allow the project to be built in Jackson Park. Under a deal approved by the City Council in May, the Obama Foundation will lease 19.3 acres in perpetuity for $1.​
One dollar for perpetual use of a huge amount of priceless lakefront land.
Fortunately, this is not going to happen without a legal challenge:
A nonprofit group called Protect our Parks has filed a federal lawsuit alleging that this violates state law. The suit calls the Obama Center a “bait and switch,” since the “public purpose” of a presidential library no longer exists.​
I am proud to report that my work was cited in that lawsuit.
Promises made, promises broken
Last fall WTTW, a Chicago public television station, was reporting skeptically on “preliminary plans” for Illinois to cough up $100 million to “assist” the Obama Center: “How could a public financing proposal fly in a state that is bleeding red ink, especially when the Obamas have promised 100 percent private funding?”​
The Obama Foundation responds that no public money will flow into its coffers (the tax deductibility of donations is another matter). But a hundred and seventy-four million taxpayer dollars spent on construction specifically designed for the facility is a subsidy, period.
Hat tip: Michael Nadler

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
August 11, 2018
Obama Foundation’s monumental rip-off
By Thomas Lifson
The Obama Presidential Center planned for Chicago is nothing more than a personal monument to Barack Obama and a center for political indoctrination in his radical views. It serves no public purpose the way that a presidential library would. Obama’s presidential papers will not be housed there, and no scholars will be afforded the opportunity to explore the history of his presidency.
And, this is receiving vast public subsidies, despite assurances that it would be privately funded. Barack and Michelle Obama have been playing a major role in its design, in a fashion reminiscent of a dictator putting up monuments to himself in some third world country. As the revised design stands, it will look like a cenotaph bizarrely erected before the death and burial of its principal.
I have written several pieces about the folly of the OPC. But I am delighted to be joined in this by the Wall Street Journal. In an article there, Mark Glennon challenges the vast subsidies that all American taxpayers will be affording this personal and political endeavor:
Illinois taxpayers will put up at least $174 million for roadway and transit reconfigurations needed to accommodate the Obama Center. If you don’t live in Illinois, you may be smirking—but you’ll be footing the bill, too. Eighty percent of such spending is generally reimbursed by the federal government, and Illinois officials confirmed to me that they expect to receive $139 million from Washington if they request it.​
Bait and switch
Taxpayers were softened up by a bait and switch strategy:
In a 2014 request for proposal, the Obama Foundation said that the planned presidential library “will include an Institute that will enhance the pursuit of the President’s initiatives beyond 2017.” This institute now seems to have taken over the project. As the Chicago Tribune reported in February: “Obama said he envisions his center as a place where young people from around the world can meet each other, get training and prepare to become the next generation of leaders.” No doubt, his definition of “leaders” will be political.​
Which raises the question of why the state and city are giving the Obama Center official support. Back when it was still being sold as an official presidential library, the city of Chicago took steps to allow the project to be built in Jackson Park. Under a deal approved by the City Council in May, the Obama Foundation will lease 19.3 acres in perpetuity for $1.​
One dollar for perpetual use of a huge amount of priceless lakefront land.
Fortunately, this is not going to happen without a legal challenge:
A nonprofit group called Protect our Parks has filed a federal lawsuit alleging that this violates state law. The suit calls the Obama Center a “bait and switch,” since the “public purpose” of a presidential library no longer exists.​
I am proud to report that my work was cited in that lawsuit.
Promises made, promises broken
Last fall WTTW, a Chicago public television station, was reporting skeptically on “preliminary plans” for Illinois to cough up $100 million to “assist” the Obama Center: “How could a public financing proposal fly in a state that is bleeding red ink, especially when the Obamas have promised 100 percent private funding?”​
The Obama Foundation responds that no public money will flow into its coffers (the tax deductibility of donations is another matter). But a hundred and seventy-four million taxpayer dollars spent on construction specifically designed for the facility is a subsidy, period.
Hat tip: Michael Nadler
How fitting. Not at all unlike his presidency.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Chicago's Obamaland "Scam" Reaches Mainstream Media

by Tyler Durden
Sun, 08/12/2018 - 21:30

Authored by WirePoints' Mark Glennon, op-ed via The Wall Street Journal,

The Obama Center Can Afford More Than $1 Rent
It’s a political ‘institute,’ not a presidential library. So taxpayers shouldn’t be paying for anything...

When Barack Obama announced he would forgo a presidential library, the news was trumpeted as a win for good government. Instead, Mr. Obama would open an official center on Chicago’s South Side, funded entirely with private money. One author at Politico, who called presidential libraries a “scam,” wrote that Mr. Obama “will rip off the band-aid, removing government from what it has no business paying for.”

Now comes news that Illinois taxpayers will put up at least $174 million for roadway and transit reconfigurations needed to accommodate the Obama Center. If you don’t live in Illinois, you may be smirking - but you’ll be footing the bill, too. Eighty percent of such spending is generally reimbursed by the federal government, and Illinois officials confirmed to me that they expect to receive $139 million from Washington if they request it.

All that taxpayer money - and for what? Originally, Chicagoans imagined they’d be getting a true presidential library, akin to those they might have visited for Ronald Reagan in California or John F. Kennedy in Boston. But unlike those libraries, the Obama Center won’t be run by the National Archives and Records Administration. It won’t even house Mr. Obama’s records, artifacts and papers, which will be digitized and available online. Instead the center will be owned and operated by the Obama Foundation.

This wasn’t always the plan. In a 2014 request for proposal, the Obama Foundation said that the planned presidential library “will include an Institute that will enhance the pursuit of the President’s initiatives beyond 2017.” This institute now seems to have taken over the project.

As the Chicago Tribune reported in February: “Obama said he envisions his center as a place where young people from around the world can meet each other, get training and prepare to become the next generation of leaders.” No doubt, his definition of “leaders” will be political.

Which raises the question of why the state and city are giving the Obama Center official support. Back when it was still being sold as an official presidential library, the city of Chicago took steps to allow the project to be built in Jackson Park. Under a deal approved by the City Council in May, the Obama Foundation will lease 19.3 acres in perpetuity for $1. A nonprofit group called Protect our Parks has filed a federal lawsuit alleging that this violates state law. The suit calls the Obama Center a “bait and switch,” since the “public purpose” of a presidential library no longer exists.

Then there’s the road and transit money. Last fall WTTW, a Chicago public television station, was reporting skeptically on “preliminary plans” for Illinois to cough up $100 million to “assist” the Obama Center: “How could a public financing proposal fly in a state that is bleeding red ink, especially when the Obamas have promised 100 percent private funding?”

In response, a spokeswoman for the Obama Foundation insisted to WTTW that “construction and maintenance will be funded by private donations, and no taxpayer money will go to the foundation.” That may be true in the narrow sense, but the state’s appropriation for roadway and transit fixes is serious cash. Imagine the cries of corporate welfare if Chicago lured a big company to town with direct infrastructure spending of $174 million.

So why no fuss about ponying up to help the Obama Center? There are two answers:

The first is that Illinois’s machine politicians dropped the appropriation this summer into a 1,246-page budget bill, which was then presented to rank-and-file legislators only hours before the vote.​

The second is that after a few Republicans objected to spending state money for the Obama Center, they were told not to fret: Federal reimbursements were on the way. “We were assured by Republican leadership not to worry,” state Rep. Jeanne Ives told me, “since 80% of the cost would be picked up by the federal government.”​

If he tried, President Obama could probably raise more than enough private money to forgo sweetheart deals. Does anybody really think the Obama Foundation can’t afford more than $1 rent? Yet Chicago’s loyal Democrats are only too happy to give him the land free, then pour tax money into the road reconfigurations the project requires. “The state’s $174 million investment in infrastructure improvements near the Obama Center,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel said, “is money well spent.” Mr. Emanuel was President Obama’s first chief of staff.

So if you wind up visiting Chicago some years from now, and you spot a tall stone tower teeming with future leaders of the Democratic Party, give yourself a pat on the back. No matter where in America you’re from, your tax money will have helped to make the Obama Center possible.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-12/chicagos-obamaland-scam-reaches-mainstream-media

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
America wasn't good enough for 0berry Davis. Perhaps he would feel better if his memorial theme park was on Nekkar Island

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I was thinking more like Devil's Island in French Guyana. Think Papillon.
I will compromise, lol, anywhere but in the US or it's possessions!