• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Obliteration of Kidney Stone with a "L..A..Z..E..R" !!

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
June 27th I came down with symptoms of a Kidney Stone Attack on the Right side.
Pain started as always with pain in my RIGHT side of my back, Kidney high. No big deal for me as I've had so many of them, Drink Water, Electrolytes, 3 Aspirin at no closer than 4 hours apart, walk, stretch, lay on the floor with my feet up in a chair. Piss like a race horse A.S.A.P.
Usually the pain is gone in two/ three days for me in this protocol.
June 28th NO Pain. Success (I thought).
June 29th pain returns but it has migrated to my right lower Abdomen. For me right where my appendicts WAS (Lost it at 9 years old).
Back to my protocol.
No LUCK.
I fought through it over the weekend ( Migration pain never moved further).
Got luck ( I thought) when I called a Drs Office I was last seen in 4 years ago and got a 10am Appt. Monday.
Doc confirmed what I already knew, PLUS more great information to look forward to.
Blood and U/A tests, Heart EKG, CT Scan, out the ying-yang ( I had not felt like eating and hadn't since Friday Morning. Good for FASTING Blood work).
Doc puts me on pain med and tells me to stay close to the phone.
10am Tuesday Doc Calls. Diagnosis - Renal Failure. GET TO THE E.R. IMMEDIATELY - You'll probably be admitted.
By 4pm and after another CT Scan I was in a hospital room.
A Urologist came by and said I'd be in surgery 1st thing in the morning (4th of July) and put me NPO After Midnight. The pain meds were working and I finally felt like eating something.
Just as I was about to order a meal the Floor Nurse runs in asking "have you ate yet" ? "no" "GOOD" was her rely. " Tomorrow being a holiday the doctors have decided to do your procedure this evening. They may not have the same crew they got now so "Doc U" is finishing his patient now and they'll be coming to get you shortly".
Partner Doc come in to interview me and discuss what the plan WAS (knock my big-ass out and go up and pull the stone out).
I get hauled down to O.R. both docs come to talk to me. This time added information came out: "In case we can not get to the stone. We may have to stop the procedure, and flush and load you up with more antibiotics and TRY AGAIN on the 5th". (THE 5TH WTF!!!)
I'm wheeled into the O.R. " WE are gonna move you the table. Just make sure you hips hit right here ( mid table ). My bed moves, "STOP", stuff on the surgical table moves, "STOP".
After about 6 minutes of what seemed Keystone Cop O.R. I am finally where the Docs wanted me.
"Doc Night-Night" plugs into the IV and tells me to breath in the mask two or three breaths I am GONE.

Fun stuff wears off and I'm in RECOVERY. Awake but no pain.
The Recovery Nurse informs me their first plan failed with extraction BUT a LAZER was inserted succesfully and obliterated the stone into particles the size of white golf course sand or flour. They did some flush with antibiotics and placed a stint in from the kidney to the bladder to a string Hangin' Out. ( Y'all know where I mean AND Its still there)
" Drink water and go pee as often as you can"
My pee was as red as Sangria and the pain was off the charts from the kidney area on down. The first few times I went standing next to the bed until I adapted to the pain. The meds masked the pain to a point but not totally.
Every two hours someone would be in to take vitals and check the collection. ALL NIGHT LONG !! Everytime I'd fall off into good sleep " Mr Goldbrix we gotta check this, we gotta check that, have you went recently ? ...
5:30am the youngest surgeon made a round and told me all they did and how I should care for myself. He said "If you have been going into the restroom to urinate we'll probably send you home later today and recuperate there".

Well I got back to the "Goldbri-rosa", drinking water like a camel and popping pills ( most antibiotics, and Flowmax knockoff), and a pain pill when needed. I don't like feeling out of it so the pain pills I am weaning off quickly. I could take them every 4 hours but I've stretched it out to one in the morning and one at bedtime.

Today at 5pm my urine FINALLY looked normal again. Pain to intermittent but tolerable.
I go back to my family doc Monday, I see the Urologists in two weeks.

AND SO IT BEGINS . End of Chapter 1.

the_shootist

Molon Labe! Deplorable Dreg!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
A "l.a.s.e.r"

Dr Evil quotes.gif

Seriously GB, heal quickly brother!

Last edited:

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Dude so sorry to hear. Stones suck

BackwardsEngineeer

What me worry?
Silver Miner
Brix, horrible experience pray it gets better....

I have been hearing about many ... many people with kidney stones, this is the fourth in two weeks. Wondering is it we are getting old thing know more people in the correct demographic? Or is it that more people have kidney stones? Diet or some other environment factor causing them?

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Brix, horrible experience pray it gets better....
Diet or some other environment factor causing them?
Thanks BwE, In my case I know it is my love of CHEESE. I must have been a rat in a previous life.
Mine are or have been calcium stones.
Cheese was like a condiment for me. I do still love to drink milk but had slowed down, now stopped. Ice cream probably second only to cheese.
All that has stopped for now. I will not even use Ranch or any dressing with a milk / cheese base. Which is fine for now as I grew up on French and 1000 Island dressings as a kid and got those to fill the gap.

I go in tomorrow morning for a follow-up with my Primary Care doc. We'll see what he can add to the fun list.
Plus I'm not schedule to be seen by the urologists for two weeks.

BackwardsEngineeer

What me worry?
Silver Miner
My BIL has had multiple recently, seems every time he goes on an over 6 hour ride one starts moving. In any event, they claim his mainly come from drinking tea. Daughter from coke zero. I would be curious if your urologist is seeing an overall increase in those buggers, are we all destined to be hunched up in pain?

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I am a bona-fide member of the kidney stone, been there done that club. Passed three monsters, 6, 7 and 8 MM. One was smooth on one end, jagged on the other, the next was jagged all over and the biggest, the 8MM stone, was almost a perfect replica of a spear head. That one put me on the ground at work. The last one just got stuck in the ureter; they had to laser blast it. Of course, you know how they get to the ureter with the camera and laser. Pissed fire for a couple days. I feel your pain, GB.

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Ok, you guys can scoff all you want, but I get rid of my kidney stones by wrapping my little GMC mouse sander in a towel, put the sander on the pain area, turn it on and let it crush the stone into bits. Most of the time I wedge my sander between the back of my lazy boy and my back, and let her rip. I am 100% the next day.
I got the idea years ago watching a documentary on doctors trying to use sound waves in a bath tub, to break stones up. I Got a little creative, that's all, and figured the vibration from the sander breaks it up. Rarely do I have to do it a second time the next day, just sometimes.
Well it has worked for me numerous times, overnight. For me.
DISCLAIMER:
I AM NOT RECOMMENDING A PAIN FREE WAY TO REMOVE ANYONES KIDNEY STONES BUT MINE!

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Ok, you guys can scoff all you want, but I get rid of my kidney stones by wrapping my little GMC mouse sander in a towel, put the sander on the pain area, turn it on and let it crush the stone into bits. Most of the time I wedge my sander between the back of my lazy boy and my back, and let her rip. I am 100% the next day.
I got the idea years ago watching a documentary on doctors trying to use sound waves in a bath tub, to break stones up. I Got a little creative, that's all, and figured the vibration from the sander breaks it up. Rarely do I have to do it a second time the next day, just sometimes.
DISCLAIMER:
Cool. I might have to give that a try, if I ever get another nasty stone. Not on your recommendation, of course. Just as an experiment. :wink:

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
You are on to something here AWD, I remember the sound waves days once you brought it up. I use to have a high-end LAZYBOY Lounger / Rocker that had built-in vibration the entire length. It YES, It helped me greatly during some stone issues. The chair eventually broke and I couldn't find another like it.
I did have a oscillating and rolling vibrating mat I used while laying on the floor. But my fat ass busted that within a year and half.
After that I just forgot about it. Plus I had had success passing stones after that until now.

DISCLAIMER:

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It works for me, I put the sander between my back and the chair, and really grind down on it.
It saves me from being laid up for a week.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I planned on posting this much earlier, but a comedy of errors and then life got in the way.
My ISP (Windstream) went down for what I was told to be "TWO FREAKIN' WEEKs". Kept getting promises it would be up sooner. At the end I changed service providers BUT the day the tech. was coming was the day I had to go to the hospital.
I knew a head of time but I didn't want to post it because sometimes the family lurks and outside of the Mrs. the immediate family had not been told.
When I had the kidney stone a mass had also been observed on the Right Kidney and an old cyst (4yrs) was seen on the left one. After numerous tests it was determined the mass was a CANCER. The medical team that took care of the kidney stone (EMERGENCY) does not accept my insurance ( Aetna Low Balls Doctors compared to other insurers), and on follow-up visit they told me about the mass and I should seek treatment with Drs. that accepts my insurance.
A friend of mine is a top notch Bariatric [sp?] doctor/ surgeon so I asked him if he could recommend a Urology surgeon. The "Rock Star" doctor he recommended without hesitation happened to be in with the same doctor group as the emergency kidney stone doctor is in.
"BAD NEWS" I thought to myself. My friend said "Let me talk to him. Some things can be worked out". A day later the "Rock Star's" nurse called me with an appointment to see him.
Because of indicators in my blood and damage visible on both kidneys another MRI with Contrast was needed. When all the results were back and read by the radiologist and "Rock Star" it was confirmed it was a cancer mass on top of the Right Kidney. Due to the indicators in my blood "Rock Star" planned to cut off the upper 1/4 part of the kidney, stitch the kidney up and things would return to normal. My fear was losing the kidney completely and because the left kidney had it's own issues I would be stuck with dialysis the rest of my life. Attached to a machine every week or two is not what I consider "LIVING". "Rock Star" said the plan would keep me off of dialysis.
Going into the surgery that WAS the plan.
As I was recovering from the knock-out drugs in PACU the MRS. was allowed back with me. " He had to take the entire kidney out. the cancer went into the kidney further than the MRI had shown, and the exterior mass had begun to adhere to the Adrenal Gland and he had to make sure all that mass game off the gland too".
I shut down on "HE HAD TO TAKE THE ENTIRE KIDNEY OUT." part.
All I could see is me attached to machine, not being able to do things I like to do because of having to go to "The MACHINE".
I just closed my eyes and let drugs do their job.
When I got to my room, my legs were in pressure cuffs. I could not feel the Right leg as the had put a nerved block in my back along with the knock-out gases. I remember touching my right leg and it felt like a piece of wood hard as a rock, but I could still wiggle my toes ( weird).
Mrs. was there when the knock-out gases finally wore off. She was looking down at me and asked "How are you feeling ? Are you hurting ?" "No, I don't hurt, I'm just sad." I said " I didn't want to have to do dialysis".
"You won't have to." the Mrs. said " I told you the doctor said your left kidney is not as bad as the tests indicated, and it will work perfectly fine for one kidney".
"WHEW"!!! I cheered up on hearing (that for the first time).
So I got home yesterday the 14th after surgery on 9-11.
As the blocking agents have wore off I am in more discomfort but since getting home I find I am spacing my pain meds further and further apart.
I am walking slow like an old China man. Have to take my time sitting down, getting up out of a chair or bed, and I got a "new buddy" a small pillow that I hug on the incision when moving around or coughing.

I'm glad I'm home and feeling a little better every hour (maybe the drugs IDK) .
So I have had an adventure since since the end of June, 1st of July until now.
I would not wish it on my worst enemy though.

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I planned on posting this much earlier, but a comedy of errors and then life got in the way.
My ISP (Windstream) went down for what I was told to be "TWO FREAKIN' WEEKs". Kept getting promises it would be up sooner. At the end I changed service providers BUT the day the tech. was coming was the day I had to go to the hospital.
I knew a head of time but I didn't want to post it because sometimes the family lurks and outside of the Mrs. the immediate family had not been told.
When I had the kidney stone a mass had also been observed on the Right Kidney and an old cyst (4yrs) was seen on the left one. After numerous tests it was determined the mass was a CANCER. The medical team that took care of the kidney stone (EMERGENCY) does not accept my insurance ( Aetna Low Balls Doctors compared to other insurers), and on follow-up visit they told me about the mass and I should seek treatment with Drs. that accepts my insurance.
A friend of mine is a top notch Bariatric [sp?] doctor/ surgeon so I asked him if he could recommend a Urology surgeon. The "Rock Star" doctor he recommended without hesitation happened to be in with the same doctor group as the emergency kidney stone doctor is in.
"BAD NEWS" I thought to myself. My friend said "Let me talk to him. Some things can be worked out". A day later the "Rock Star's" nurse called me with an appointment to see him.
Because of indicators in my blood and damage visible on both kidneys another MRI with Contrast was needed. When all the results were back and read by the radiologist and "Rock Star" it was confirmed it was a cancer mass on top of the Right Kidney. Due to the indicators in my blood "Rock Star" planned to cut off the upper 1/4 part of the kidney, stitch the kidney up and things would return to normal. My fear was losing the kidney completely and because the left kidney had it's own issues I would be stuck with dialysis the rest of my life. Attached to a machine every week or two is not what I consider "LIVING". "Rock Star" said the plan would keep me off of dialysis.
Going into the surgery that WAS the plan.
As I was recovering from the knock-out drugs in PACU the MRS. was allowed back with me. " He had to take the entire kidney out. the cancer went into the kidney further than the MRI had shown, and the exterior mass had begun to adhere to the Adrenal Gland and he had to make sure all that mass game off the gland too".
I shut down on "HE HAD TO TAKE THE ENTIRE KIDNEY OUT." part.
All I could see is me attached to machine, not being able to do things I like to do because of having to go to "The MACHINE".
I just closed my eyes and let drugs do their job.
When I got to my room, my legs were in pressure cuffs. I could not feel the Right leg as the had put a nerved block in my back along with the knock-out gases. I remember touching my right leg and it felt like a piece of wood hard as a rock, but I could still wiggle my toes ( weird).
Mrs. was there when the knock-out gases finally wore off. She was looking down at me and asked "How are you feeling ? Are you hurting ?" "No, I don't hurt, I'm just sad." I said " I didn't want to have to do dialysis".
"You won't have to." the Mrs. said " I told you the doctor said your left kidney is not as bad as the tests indicated, and it will work perfectly fine for one kidney".
"WHEW"!!! I cheered up on hearing (that for the first time).
So I got home yesterday the 14th after surgery on 9-11.
As the blocking agents have wore off I am in more discomfort but since getting home I find I am spacing my pain meds further and further apart.
I am walking slow like an old China man. Have to take my time sitting down, getting up out of a chair or bed, and I got a "new buddy" a small pillow that I hug on the incision when moving around or coughing.

I'm glad I'm home and feeling a little better every hour (maybe the drugs IDK) .
So I have had an adventure since since the end of June, 1st of July until now.
I would not wish it on my worst enemy though.
Good for you, its all working out! I learned a surgery like that is a major trauma to us physicallly, mentally & emmotionally... All three must be treated post-op. Follow your caregivers orders to the letter and you'll be fine.

You can find support groups with patients, doctors, nurses and other caregivers over at "Inspire.com". Its comforting & well worth researching & reading about other patients experiences & recoveries.

"Inspire Groups"

https://www.inspire.com/groups/

"Inspire Kidneys"

https://www.inspire.com/categories/kidneys-and-urinary-system/

Good luck & get well.

//BB