• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Odors

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
....some here may know this smell.....some like it, others don't...depends on which side you were on...its been around for a long time....

REO 54

Midas Member
Midas Member
Well, certainly NOT my day job lol! (Septic pumper) Grease tanks are the worst!

I'll visit this thread to clean out my olfactory senses and remember the good stuff.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well I sure ain't never smelled that, can you describe it?
Smells like a tobacco barn and that smells like HARD work, No thanks...

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Opps, 90%RealMoney beat me to it!

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
My lawn has chives growing here and there. It smells really good when I mow over a patch. Sometimes it makes me hungry.

Lilac flowers

The smell of a wood fire when it is really, really cold out. (Something about it smells different and really good when it is around 0 degrees F)

Celery

Cilantro

Pine resin

I am thankful for the direction of the wind today as there is a large dead skunk in the road just across from my woods.

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Basil. For some reason I love basil.
The smell of the olive oil I get from Italy when it is warming up in a pan.
Pine trees.
Oak fires.
Pumpkin pie spice.
Oranges.
Vanilla....anything vanilla.
Cloves.
Bacon.
Hickory smoke.
Lilacs in bloom...love this every spring.
Sheets when they come in off the clothes line.
And for you guys out there, I actually don't like men who wear "cologne". Seriously? I also hate Irish Spring soap, I use it to keep the deer away from my shrubs.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Man what a screw up I am. Put the popcorn on to cook and went outside for a sec, long story short, I got to playing with a damb cat. Come running in to what looks like brown fog and the horrible stench of burnt corn. Wife is gonna be pissed and I won't be surprised if I have a motel boll to pay tomorrow. Fuck.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I wonder why fresh cut hay/grass smells so good to a lot of people...its one of my favs

bread in the oven
stew on the stove
light hint of wood smoke in the air
smell of a rain

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I wonder why fresh cut hay/grass smells so good to a lot of people...its one of my favs

bread in the oven
stew on the stove
light hint of wood smoke in the air
smell of a rain
Alla those smell really nice... but every time I hear the phrase:

"fresh cut hay" <-- I think of how that was the warning sign for poison gas, and to get your mask on pronto.

I wonder if they still teach that? It was a looong time ago...

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
When I was a kid, my grandfather and great uncle George used to take me to this place called The Admiral Cafe’. It was a tavern, with a small kitchen, where they made mostly burgers and fries, that kind of food. Grandpap and Uncle George would get a beer, from the tap and buy me a coke and pretzels. I loved it.

That place was the kind of establishment with old hardwood booths and benches and hardwood floors that had been there so long, I know they were there during WWII and possible even WWI. They had soaked up so much spilled beer over the years, you could smell it when you walked in. It was a wonderful sweetness of beer, just infused into the environment. That was over fifty years ago and I still remember it vividly. That smell and sitting in there with my grandfather and uncle, listening to them talk and begging them for another coke, cause I drank it up too fast.

Ha! I remember my grandmother and uncle George’s wife, Anna, would get so mad when they found out I had been in the Admiral. Grandpap and George would just blow it off and say how good it was for me. They were right.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Jeebus, SoG. That was poetry. What a fabulous, evocative description:

They had soaked up so much spilled beer over the years, you could smell it when you walked in. It was a wonderful sweetness of beer, just infused into the environment. That was over fifty years ago and I still remember it vividly.

It was over SEVENTY years ago, and your erudition brought it to actual life. I could smell that tingly, grown-ups den, gently-lit, with the astonishment I felt when this happened:

Daddy and I had just walked from the RR station (about a mile) and it was hot. One block short of where we would turn to get home, he stopped at the White Horse Bar. We sat down on the stools, and,

Daddy: "Two beers."

Bartender (aghast): "That kid ain't eighteen!" (I was nine.)

Daddy: "Cut the bullshit and give the kid a beer."

It was only a quarter-mile home, but I was shit-faced all the way.

Wonderful memory of my spectacular old man.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I was gifted two deer two months ago. I got them in the freezer as quickly as I could, basically large chunks. Now I am making jerky. I have the dehydrator in my bedroom, and after a couple hours, the jerky smell is really strong. Ahhh, jerky!

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

They had soaked up so much spilled beer over the years, you could smell it when you walked in. It was a wonderful sweetness of beer, just infused into the environment. That was over fifty years ago and I still remember it vividly.

It was over SEVENTY years ago, and your erudition brought it to actual life. I could smell that tingly, grown-ups den, gently-lit, with the astonishment I felt when this happened:

Daddy and I had just walked from the RR station (about a mile) and it was hot. One block short of where we would turn to get home, he stopped at the White Horse Bar. We sat down on the stools, and,

Daddy: "Two beers."

Bartender (aghast): "That kid ain't eighteen!" (I was nine.)

Daddy: "Cut the bullshit and give the kid a beer."

It was only a quarter-mile home, but I was shit-faced all the way.

Wonderful memory of my spectacular old man.
Those are the kind of experiences that make life-long, bittersweet memories. Only bittersweet, because you know that time is gone and no way to get it back. But, what I remember, besides that wonderful aroma of spilled beer, is my grandfather and my uncle George and how special it was to spend time with them and listen to them talk and be included in their little excursion.

Thanks for the kind words on my prose, Walt. It was inspired by that reflection on the past.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Every time I go trap shooting or hunting I take a couple of Fed paper shotgun shells with me. I fire them and grab the empties while still warm and smell them. I am instantly transported back in time to hunting with my grandfather when I was a kid and I used to do that after he shot and the shells came flying out the side of his Remington 1148 shotgun. Crazy how that works.

And my brother I think still has the gun. I have a receipt from when he bought two of them from a Herters store. He shot one so much he wore it out completely.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I think the sense of smell, maybe more than anything else, is the greatest instigator of memory. When I was 17, I had a little blond headed, blue eyed girlfriend, named Cindy. She was a doll. Pretty as could be and she had a bright, cheerful personality.

She used to wear this strawberry perfume. The kind a girl her age would like and it was really nice. She had it on all the time we were seeing each other. Well, as often happens, we eventually broke up. But, I swear to you, for years afterward, I would smell strawberries and instantly, I would be heartbroken over missing her. There was nothing I could do.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Only bittersweet, because you know that time is gone and no way to get it back.
The way I see it, that time is still there. We are just somewhere else now. But it is still there. Like a good friend that moves to Australia.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
When I was a kid, my grandfather and great uncle George used to take me to this place called The Admiral Cafe’
I think the sense of smell, maybe more than anything else, is the greatest instigator of memory.
You guys brought back a helluva memory for me. :spring:
Philippe's is a "French dip sandwich place in downtown L.A., with a unique odor of beer, sawdust & several cooked meats & their juices . It & the Brew 102 tanks were torn down in the early 1950's to make way for the 5 freeway. Philippe's re-established next to "Olvera Street", across from "Union Station". I have eaten there my entire life, or longer , since mom ate there while I was yet to see daylight.
It is open seating & booths, where you may be sitting next to a cop, a criminal, a rich person or a poor person & even a movie star. There is sawdust on the floor. This is where I learned to eat pickled pig's feet.
If you are ever in L.A. stop in & try their French dip sandwiches.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
When my ex and I owned a cafe I was the guy who empied out the grease trap. Good lawd the snotty colored rotten funk would aim straight for the gag reflex.

I find sandlwood incense very calming

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Most pizza joints especially older ones trip my memory button to the first time I ever went with my dad to get a pizza.
It is the heavy fragrance of the sausage that brings the fond memories rushing in. When it hits me I'll just stand there for a minute or two and enjoy it before I go on to the pick-up counter.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
It is the heavy fragrance of the sausage that brings the fond memories rushing in.
I remember a pizza joint my family went to. I liked putting a coin in the jukebox and playing a song. The smell of sausage may have been in my memory, but I think it was probably the mushrooms.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
You guys will think I’m an idiot. First time the heater runs in the fall and that peculiar smell AC makes. Yeah, I’m an idiot. Lilacs, love lilacs. I haven’t hunted in years but hunting vests have an odd smell too if you don’t spray doe piss all over em.

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Dated a gorgeous girl from Poland, hint of an accent, a true blond, I know because when I found out for sure, she was sporting a cherry scent that, to this day, I still have a glaze on my face. I think she passed out, what a pleasure to pleasure her. And every once in a while I get triggered by that scent and the memories start flowing, remembering other things that were flowing.....but that's another "odor of magnitude"!!