• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Offshore fishing tomorrow

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Company fishing trip, around 50 people on a 70' boat out maybe 30-40 miles into the Gulf of Mexico.

I used to do this all the time and flat ate it up when I was younger. Once took a boat out of Port Everglades and spent 5 days straight fishing the Grand Bahama Banks around the Bahamas, sleeping on the boat and could have done it another 5. Though I have my own 22' walkaround cuddy, I've found as I got into my late 60's and now, 70, that an entire day was pushing my endurance. Especially with rigging and cleaning the boat.

Tomorrow, I think I'll consider to be mostly a photo opportunity. Though we can catch grouper, we'll mostly catch amberjack. And a good sized amberjack from 250 feet deep with hand crank reels will fight hard enough to make even a young guy say "no more!" A lot of them hand the rod off, can't handle it. I can get one up but no longer have interest in the second. I'm bringing my own gear and will rig for grouper but a 40 lb grouper will give me pretty much everything I can give and possible more.

Our office manager, a VERY nicely built and looking woman in her early 40's will be on her 1st deep fishing trip. I really hope she hooks up, it will be interesting to watch. Most people who hook a large salt water fish for the 1st time are stunned by the strength, some are intimidated and some are intrigued. I was the latter leaving me to spend large amounts of time and money pursuing the sport. Before I got so damned old.

Plus the weather down here, it will be mid-90's, humidity past what most of you have experienced, and very little wind. Hope it doesn't kill me.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Company fishing trip, around 50 people on a 70' boat out maybe 30-40 miles into the Gulf of Mexico.

I used to do this all the time and flat ate it up when I was younger. Once took a boat out of Port Everglades and spent 5 days straight fishing the Grand Bahama Banks around the Bahamas, sleeping on the boat and could have done it another 5. Though I have my own 22' walkaround cuddy, I've found as I got into my late 60's and now, 70, that an entire day was pushing my endurance. Especially with rigging and cleaning the boat.

Tomorrow, I think I'll consider to be mostly a photo opportunity. Though we can catch grouper, we'll mostly catch amberjack. And a good sized amberjack from 250 feet deep with hand crank reels will fight hard enough to make even a young guy say "no more!" A lot of them hand the rod off, can't handle it. I can get one up but no longer have interest in the second. I'm bringing my own gear and will rig for grouper but a 40 lb grouper will give me pretty much everything I can give and possible more.

Our office manager, a VERY nicely built and looking woman in her early 40's will be on her 1st deep fishing trip. I really hope she hooks up, it will be interesting to watch. Most people who hook a large salt water fish for the 1st time are stunned by the strength, some are intimidated and some are intrigued. I was the latter leaving me to spend large amounts of time and money pursuing the sport. Before I got so damned old.

Plus the weather down here, it will be mid-90's, humidity past what most of you have experienced, and very little wind. Hope it doesn't kill me.
Have a heck of a good time. We look forward to some of the outstanding photos you are known for!
:-)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

A bit of critical info (to some people):

Gari <-- That is the yummy pickled ginger you put on sushi. It is a TOTAL fix for seasickness. If you take a little bite of Gari, you will not get seasick.

If you are seasick and feel like you have gotta die to get better, just putting a piece of Gari in your mouth will CURE it in no time.

TINS.

The days of dramamine are over. Bring a little jar of it with you. Out of 50 people, guaranteed one or two will be near death, and you will become their hero forever.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
DSC01265.jpg
DSC03418m.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0638t.jpg
IMG_1400.jpg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Glorious redfish.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Something that's supposedly very rarely if ever done before...

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Lordy, newmisty! That got my pulse rate up! :gracious:

Twisted

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Something that's supposedly very rarely if ever done before...

I'd love to see them hook this shark. lol Check out her eye at 50 sec mark.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Gari <-- That is the yummy pickled ginger you put on sushi. It is a TOTAL fix for seasickness. If you take a little bite of Gari, you will not get seasick.
Love that ginger! Didn't know about the seasick bit... Thanks!

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I made it back. I was a "cattleboat", about 1/2 of the company there. I caught a few fish, something big almost pulled my good rod out of my hands as it made for the bottom rocks despite my 80 lb braid with the drag locked down. After I rerigged the rod, in the next drop, I snagged a 5-6 foot diameter sea turtle which ripped drag off until I could cut the line. It didn't even notice the 80 lb pull. The heat, it was 95 degrees, dew point in the 80's, "feels like 112 degrees", no shade, no breeze! It got to even the young guys who in are in it all day, every day. About late morning, it put me in a real case of heat prostration, not heat stroke, thank God. That's the next step. Prostration was bad enough, uncontrolled sweating, the shakes, dizzy. It put me in the cabin A/C for about 2 hours drinking bottle after bottle of water, never did piss. Some of the guys said I didn't look good at all. Well, neither did they, about 30% got sea sick when the seas kicked up in the afternoon. Hah! Take that!

October is the time, that's still mid-80's here but the humidity will have gone down and it's pleasant. Even when I was much younger, I've never fished this area much in hard summer. But back then it was because hard summer is the worst fishing season. It's so hot and humid, the fish don't even like it.

I fished this same boat last year, paid for by Caterpillar, but in late September, only about 10 people on the boat, nice weather, really nice trip.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
My best bud has one house in the Panhandle on the water. He says it is no longer worth spending $100 on gas to bring his fishing boat out twenty miles to catch TWO FISH.

That's the fargin limit nowadays. Two redfish. cry::don't know::fishing: