• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Once you go mac you won't go back. :)

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
BEEN RUNNING MICROSOFT PRODUCTS SINCE THE EARLY 90'S. Never again. I'm done with them. They are great if you are a computer guy or gal that likes to work on computers and fix them all the time. I'm not. I'm one of those people who want to get on the computer and use it. Kind of like a car. I want to go out, start it and use it to get where I'm going. Others like to play around and tinker on their cars. I get it, for some its a hobby.

Well, my daughter bought me an early bday present. A new refurbished mac from 2011. My 2 old microsoft computers were also from 2011. The difference is the mac works incredibly well. In 1 day I am about 80% up to speed on this new thing. Only thing left is to figure out a solution for my excel and word docs and I'll work on that this weekend.

Normally in the morning I wake up my windows PC,, go make coffee and wait for that to finish then get a cup and by then usually the computer is almost ready to run at a snails pace. This thing I woke up, had alerts and was ready to go instantaneously.

I know others love microsoft but as I said they always seem to need some tinkering to run properly and I'm just not a computer guy. I just want to turn it on and have it work. Apple accomplished this and i see why they have a following. I still think they are overpriced but it works when I want it to so the price aspect will quickly fade and my anger and frustration over a slow to non running PC is gone.. That alone is worth something along with no more wasted time and time is always worth something.

the_shootist

The war is here on our doorstep!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Mac isn't the be all end all of computer OS's. I run on Macs yet I also know there's quite a bit of the same things going on with the Mac OS as there is with MS.

The best OS types (IMHO) are the open systems operating systems based on Linux and Unix. Mac OS X is UNIX based but very much commercialized by Apple as is the MS Windows platforms.

All that being said the Mac gives me everything I need and integrates with other Apple devices... offering a ton of convenience but, the real reason I'm sticking with it is it just works! It requires very little patching compared to Windows, runs faster, boots faster and uses much less memory than Windows. I used to be a Windows slut and abhorred people who used Macs. I now know I was wrong!

Congrats on moving away from the Windows dark side and welcome to the Apple dark side! Apple just sucks less than MS!

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I made the switch to iphone about 5 years ago but switched to an Android this year and I already like it better...
But , I still want to get a MacBook this year and give it a spin..
I do not like tinkering with computers..
I wish I still had my Commodore 64.

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
My wife is continuing to buy and upgrade IPADs every time I turn around. Same with her Apple phone.
In the time and money she wasted on Apple Products, literally thousands, I have continued to communicate using my cheap landline and my old Microsoft 7 Computer , and an Android tablet I have had for years, spending next to nothing.
She doesn't understand how Apple is ripping her off, every which way from Sunday.

But getting back to the subject at hand, I went through the Mac experience, forced to by my employer, and it it something I would never repeat again ,(and never something my employer would repeat again) Macs suck!

Last edited:

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
One thing about MAC is they have total control of the hardware. Therefore the software better run perfectly, meaning OS and drivers. I have a couple of MACs and they are ok, but overpriced and I don't like the setup of the system. To me I put MAC on the same level as Linux - not crazy about eithers OS setup. Now ask me about M$. It is crap, but the least crappiest in the junkpile. It is amazing the vast range of hardware it will run and run on, if not well, at least it runs.
The Amiga was where it was at, we really lost out when it went down the tubes. Before that it was the Commodore 64.

Cigarlover, if your pc from 2011 was that bad, did you ever think to have somebody reinstall the OS or even check it out? If your car was backfiring and stuttering, you would take it to a mechanic, right?

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Cigarlover, after years of working with Windows I too made the switch to Mac. They just work! I was a beta tester for Windows NY 3.5 years ago too. I no longer have patience for the MS Operating systems especially since my day to day work involves multiple linux distributions. I still work with Windows occasionally but that is only because I have to.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
For your Word and Excel docs, THE easy solution is LibreOffice. Free and does MS stuff all day long without breaking a sweat. You WILL have to be mindful of your Mac OS when selecting ANYTHING to download and use, this applies to LibreOffice too. It's possible you may have to upgrade your Mac OS if your machine can deal with newer versions. If A Mac is something that you think will work for you then you can find newer models on the used market that will give more up-to-date function and capabilities.

If you still have your old windows machines you may consider wiping the hard drive and installing some flavor of Linux. There is much more than Ubuntu or RedHat products o select from and performance will blow away whatever microsoft products did to your machine. I would suggest something that based on debian Linux so you will have access to apps that have been tested and are known to be compatible. Typically the various Linux systems have user support groups populated by folks who love to play with their systems all day everyday. If you have an issue it will usually get sorted out in a day and in a non-tech language you can understand.

Either way with Mac or Linux you're way ahead of windows.

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have QuickBooks as my POS and using Windows 10 OS at my store. I WOULD NEVER use Mac.
5 years of incompatible with everything except Apple products. That's the long and the short of it. Never again. If it works with you then great. I believe that eventually most Mac lovers eventually get burnt.

And yes, I also have issues with Microsoft, but NOT incompatibility.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
My wife is continuing to buy and upgrade IPADs every time I turn around. Same with her Apple phone.
In the time and money she wasted on Apple Products, literally thousands, I have continued to communicate using my cheap landline and my old Microsoft 7 Computer , and an Android tablet I have had for years, spending next to nothing.
She doesn't understand how Apple is ripping her off, every which way from Sunday.

But getting back to the subject at hand, I went through the Mac experience, forced to by my employer, and it it something I would never repeat again ,(and never something my employer would repeat again) Macs suck!
Yeah, you really need to reel yourself in with Apple products. I have an iPhone 6 Plus which I bought used for a few hundred bucks. My Macbooks (I have a few) are no newer than 2012. I have no cell phone contracts and own all my hardware. I wouldn't pay the ridiculous prices that Apple charges for their current releases of hardware. I will say their used hardware is better designed, engineered and built using better quality components than your garden variety PC.

Buying used Apple hardware is the only way to survive financially in the Apple market as a commoner like me..

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
One thing about MAC is they have total control of the hardware. Therefore the software better run perfectly, meaning OS and drivers. I have a couple of MACs and they are ok, but overpriced and I don't like the setup of the system. To me I put MAC on the same level as Linux - not crazy about eithers OS setup. Now ask me about M$. It is crap, but the least crappiest in the junkpile. It is amazing the vast range of hardware it will run and run on, if not well, at least it runs.
The Amiga was where it was at, we really lost out when it went down the tubes. Before that it was the Commodore 64.

Cigarlover, if your pc from 2011 was that bad, did you ever think to have somebody reinstall the OS or even check it out? If your car was backfiring and stuttering, you would take it to a mechanic, right?
Yes windows 7 was just reinstalled last spring. Had a computer guy do it and it lasted all year but towards the end was painfully slow.. Could have been the ram as well. This new referbed was has 8gig ram so yea i realize I am not comparing apple to apples and with only 2 days into the mac who knows how it will operate but according to others who use them a lot. They just work.. And i see that comment here as well.... My parents also use Macs and they don't know shit bout cp's and they have been on macs for years and they say the same thing. Never a problem and they just work when you turn em on.
With MFST it seems like the thing was constantly updating and downloading patches and fixes and overtime it did my machine ran slower and slower. Maybe there was other stuff I was supposed to do to maintain it but again I'm not a computer guy so not going to mess with stuff I know nothing about. Also not going to take it in every once in awhile to get worked on.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
For your Word and Excel docs, THE easy solution is LibreOffice. Free and does MS stuff all day long without breaking a sweat. You WILL have to be mindful of your Mac OS when selecting ANYTHING to download and use, this applies to LibreOffice too. It's possible you may have to upgrade your Mac OS if your machine can deal with newer versions. If A Mac is something that you think will work for you then you can find newer models on the used market that will give more up-to-date function and capabilities.

If you still have your old windows machines you may consider wiping the hard drive and installing some flavor of Linux. There is much more than Ubuntu or RedHat products o select from and performance will blow away whatever microsoft products did to your machine. I would suggest something that based on debian Linux so you will have access to apps that have been tested and are known to be compatible. Typically the various Linux systems have user support groups populated by folks who love to play with their systems all day everyday. If you have an issue it will usually get sorted out in a day and in a non-tech language you can understand.

Either way with Mac or Linux you're way ahead of windows.
I have been looking at linux to install on one of the machines that I can still turn on. Problem is it have like 850 mb of ram and can barely turn itself on with that little bit of ram.
I think I'll get more satisfaction drilling holes through it with the AR.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have QuickBooks as my POS and using Windows 10 OS at my store. I WOULD NEVER use Mac.
5 years of incompatible with everything except Apple products. That's the long and the short of it. Never again. If it works with you then great. I believe that eventually most Mac lovers eventually get burnt.

And yes, I also have issues with Microsoft, but NOT incompatibility.
Yea if I had to use it for business then I would probably look at another MFST product but since all I really do is video, photography and mess around the net and play a little poker, I don't need MSFT and am happy to be rid of them.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have been looking at linux to install on one of the machines that I can still turn on. Problem is it have like 850 mb of ram and can barely turn itself on with that little bit of ram.
I think I'll get more satisfaction drilling holes through it with the AR.
Get Damn Small Linux. You can run that on old 386 machines and older ones too!

Seriously there are so many "flavors" of Linux that you can find one to run most any machine. Of course, you may be able to upgrade your memory. If you have a USB port you can even run it off of a thumbdrive. You could also fill all of your hard drive slots with CD/DVD players, throw a disk in each one and voila! You got your own server! Hook it to the interwebz and spew all the nonsense you want! Better yet, configure a firewall and use it for an in house or in-family network. My son uses a 486 machine and has terabites of music, movies and comics on it. It's NOT fast enough to stream well but if I ever need a song (literally hundreds of thousands to choose from) or want to download a movie (thousands of these) all I have to do is log on and download. It's really an entertainment library for family and friends. Count Basie, Dave Brubeck, Glen Miller, Aerosmith, Weird Al Yankovich, 5 Finger Death Punch, The Tick, Bugs Bunny, Little Black Sambo, Sam&Max, Gojira (The Japanese Real Original Godzilla) just a click away.

Yeah, there's a Linux that will make it easy to love your old machines.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
To a lot of people today, they aren't interested in tinkering on the computer or even doing much with them, they see them as an appliance - meaning an email - web machine, with the side benefit of photo & video stuff. Hence chrome and chrome machines. Some are gamers, PC is where its at if you don't console. Really the OS should just be in the background and just work, allow the applications to do their thing. I am personally agnostic, whatever floats your boat, like I said we have a couple of MACs but they gather dust. We do take the macbook on trips, because it is so light and small.
M$ is really making a mistake with all the spying and now jamming up the machine with pushing games on your machine robotically, like candy crush etc. Literally driving customers away. Quite short sighted and rather stupid. The core OS is good and a real recovery after the Windows 8 blunders. I have an old HP dual CPU workstation, I put W10 on there using a 6oGB SSD, amazing it hardly took up any room and runs quick. However, I spent about 3 hours afterr the install ripping out all the BS and defeating all the spying. Pain in the ass. Runs great now. I flip videos to it and let it process them using handbrake, some take hours and hours, so it is kind of like fire and forget. It goes to sleep when it is done. I love it. I just looked to get some RAM for it, it uses server ram, right now it is at 16GB, I can go to 64 GB for $50 lol. I just ordered two CPUs for it, it came with the bottom of the line Xeons, I got the top of the line for that generation for $20 for two. LOL. Should be smoking once the upgrades go in.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Macs are nice to play and surf on, but for most of us doing actual work, we’re stuck with MS. So many software progs are Winslow’s only. Same with business critical sites online (including many gov sites)-they’re IE only.

I did just see where MS has licensed Office apps to Apple. It basically requires you to subscribe to Office 365 with an annual fee and docs are saved and edited online. Yet another way a Mac will cost you 5X as much to get the same work done....for the stuff that can be done.

I do use an iPhone though—simple and works. Android/google can kiss my grits. IMO they’re the real dark side and truly the most frustrating.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

I couldn't disagree more GG, and I'm an old DOS 6/Win 3.11 guy. Windows is a resource hog. Conversely, the Mac OS is much more efficient with memory. The MAC OS is backward compatible to a lot of older MAc hardware and runs really well on it. Unlike Windows which needs more core, more processors, more memory....a guy could go broke upgrading his Windows machine too. Mac hardware blows most PC hardware vendors out of the water in reliability and quality.

That's my .02.

Disclaimer...I'm a grumpy old white guy, not an urban snowflake faggot who cuddles his Apple logo to his chest. The Mac just works! At this point that all I'm looking for!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Macs are nice to play and surf on, but for most of us doing actual work, we’re stuck with MS. So many software progs are Winslow’s only. Same with business critical sites online (including many gov sites)-they’re IE only.

I did just see where MS has licensed Office apps to Apple. It basically requires you to subscribe to Office 365 with an annual fee and docs are saved and edited online. Yet another way a Mac will cost you 5X as much to get the same work done....for the stuff that can be done.

I do use an iPhone though—simple and works. Android/google can kiss my grits. IMO they’re the real dark side and truly the most frustrating.
I've been using Microsoft Office for Mac since 2011

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I get it about not being a computer person. I run win 7 from an SSD and it boots in about 15 seconds. But as was mentioned, you have to strip all of the junk out of it. Besides the microsoft junk, which got a lot worse in win 10, there's the computer maker's junk, then just about every application wants to install itself as the machine's center of the universe. At this time in history, I think there's absolutely no justification for not running the OS off of an SSD. A cleaned up windows installation isn't all that bad.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I get it about not being a computer person. I run win 7 from an SSD and it boots in about 15 seconds. But as was mentioned, you have to strip all of the junk out of it. Besides the microsoft junk, which got a lot worse in win 10, there's the computer maker's junk, then just about every application wants to install itself as the machine's center of the universe. At this time in history, I think there's absolutely no justification for not running the OS off of an SSD. A cleaned up windows installation isn't all that bad.
Up to Win 7 I agree with you. MS has gone away from their good OS/bad OS cycle since their last good release (Win7) to all junk and bloatware

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
iOS is a jail, Mac Hardware is often sucky... cheap hackintoshes can out preform $$$$$ mac product.

Microsucks Windoze has become a shitty bit of pushware albeit more open.

That leaves Linux which is still a little arcane, but at least the power is there and accessible.... but it lacks many quality apps.

It all makes me f'ing grumpy!

Won't go back LOL, wait till you hit dramas with it... I've tried to chuck a few out the window over the years.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I couldn't disagree more GG, and I'm an old DOS 6/Win 3.11 guy. Windows is a resource hog. Conversely, the Mac OS is much more efficient with memory. The MAC OS is backward compatible to a lot of older MAc hardware and runs really well on it. Unlike Windows which needs more core, more processors, more memory....a guy could go broke upgrading his Windows machine too. Mac hardware blows most PC hardware vendors out of the water in reliability and quality.

That's my .02.

Disclaimer...I'm a grumpy old white guy, not an urban snowflake faggot who cuddles his Apple logo to his chest. The Mac just works! At this point that all I'm looking for!
DOS and Win 3.11 were literal shit at the time. My Commodore 64 had a better GUI than Windows 3.11 [GEOS]. The Amiga was light years ahead of Windows then. Windows 95 was when M$ first got a clue.

I disagree with you about current MacOS vs. Win10. Again, if you strip the shit out of it and block the spying it is much more efficient than MacOS IMHO. I agree, MAC hardware is generally better than generic PC crap or Dell type systems. However, go price a Mac. Mac Pro starts at $3K at the LOWEST hardware level. It uses an outdated processor and there have been no significant improvements since 2013. The same generation of HP workstations came with 2 Xeons not one, and are currently out in the refurbished market as they are well outdated by new hardware and coming off lease. I have a HP workstation, it is built like a tank.

Now think for a minute. If the company that makes the hardware also makes the OS, do you think that they might, just might, have a better integrated system? Of course they do. I grant Apple that, it is the same kind of thing that Amiga was doing, both Apple and Amiga at the time had their own custom chips as well. Both were running Motorola CPUs. Then Apple got a clue and jumped on the intel bandwagon. However, they briefly drifted into the dangerous "clone" area and quickly backed out. Why? I think two reasons - they lost control of what hardware the OS ran on and were into the WinTel type situation, and they had to compete with the generic guys - you can't charge $3K for 4 year old tech if you have competition.

Keep in mind I am not a booster or fan of either the apple or wintel machines. I have Macs, I have used Macs at work, and I pretty much see them as toys or the top of the line stuff as extremely overpriced - lately. There was a time before the "circle jerk" mac pro that they used the finest, latest tech, CPU etc, this was a few years ago, must have been back about 8 or 9 years ago. I priced out a Mac Pro and then tried to match it component to component for a Hackintosh. It wasn't worth it - better off buying the Mac. However, since they are flogging 2013 technology now, at "today" prices, well, they can keep them. I will bet the sales numbers are extremely low.

My question is, what Mac are you using? The all in one, or a laptop, or the Mac Pro? Mac Mini?

I have a Mac Mini, and two NUCs, a new one and an older one. Both run rings around the Mac Mini. There isn't a comparison. The Mac Mini is prettier though.

I hear a lot about "old PCs don't work etc" and at the same time we got guys posting here still running 486's.
Anybody running a MAC from that same time period? I kind of doubt it.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I should mention, I used to run MacOS on my Amiga. It was pretty funny. I also had a bridgeboard and could run M$, but rarely did. The whole VM thing came out of that era of Amigas.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
You guys got me curious so I looked up the requirements for the latest Mac and Windows OSes.

Windows 10
CPU 1 GHz
Ram 1 GB for 32 bit or 2 GB for 64 bit
HD Space 16 GB for 32 bit or 20 GB for 64 bit OS

Mac Sierra
CPU - Unclear - Basically, they dropped support for most pre-2010 Macs with the exception of the late 2009 MacBook and Mac Mini. So unless you got those you better have a 2010 mac or better, or you are SOL.
Ram Min 4 GB Recommended 8 GB Much Better 16 GB
HD Space Min 16 GB Recommended 32 GB Much Better 64 GB

So not sure on CPU, MAC goes by models, read what I wrote in the CPU area.
Ram Windows has a much lower minimum, however, as everybody should know, 4 GB will get you where you want to be in Windows, 1 GB will be churning the HDD. However, it will run on an old machine if you have to, but it has been a while since I saw a PC ship with 1GB ram. A few OSes ago. lol.
HD space is about the same, again, both are better with more space.

So looks like pretty much a wash.

BTW, I just did a Windows 10 install on a 60 GB SSD, and it used under 20 GB. The computer runs faster and IMHO better with 10 than it did with 7. Of course, I didn't have to strip out so many things I didn't want from 7, and I didn't have to go through a big list of modifications to spy proof the system either. If M$ would leave all the crap out and make it "install on demand" from the web if you want it, well, I think it would install at about 12 GB. Pretty trim.

BTW, I bought an HP all in one back in the day, for my wife, must have been around 2009 or so, I debated between it and a more expensive iMac. As the HP was cheaper and had a touchscreen, not available on the iMac, I went with the HP. My wife is still using it, it is on W10 now, she has a year old Macbook air, but it sits on the shelf most of the time. She doesn't like it.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I have a Toshiba running Win 7 and it's horribly slow. Can anyone point me to a good guide/resource to see which software components I can delete to speed things up? Also what's the best way to go about adding a SSD or upgrading to one and moving the OS over? It's OEM Winblows, so no disk. Please PM. Thanks.

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I'm no win 10 guru, but my limited experience says that it is effectively useless with 1gB memory. Increasing to 4gB makes a world of difference. Converting to SSD is pretty straightforward. Samsung and Intel (and probably most or all the others) provide migration software. You just need to get a usb-to-sata cable or external enclosure, plug the SSD into USB, run the software, and swap the SSD in for the hard disk. You hard disk then becomes an emergency backup, and you can use the USB adapter to write future backups to it. The basic win7 doesn't have a lot of extra junk on it, unlike 8 or 10 that are in your face with widgets and pointers to the microsoft store. One thing I do with any of them is shut off automatic file indexing. The additional junk comes with systems from system vendors like dell and hp, and with applications you install. You need to learn the windows utilities or get a utility that shows what processes or services are running in the background, then start cutting them off. And some anti-virus programs can bring performance way down. A friend of mine has a bad-example win 7 laptop that takes about 3 minutes to boot, and about the same time to shut down.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sometimes the simplest fix for Windows is a new install.
You might not have the disk, but the product key should be on a sticker on the underside if it is a laptop.
You download the appropriate ISO for your OS and use the Windows 7 usb tool to write it to a USB memory key. Install from there.

However, if it is a laptop and older, I suspect you have HDD errors that are causing problems. Schedule a chkdisk for the next reboot. Errors on your boot drive can cause file corruption etc. For this reason I don't recommend just cloning to a SSD - you may be cloning corrupt files after all. Is it an older laptop? If so, I have found that some simple cleaning inside to get any dust out of the system, a refresh of the OS, perhaps a SSD, will make all the difference. Computers act like an air filter unintentionally - they suck in and blow out air, and dust and dirt accumulate inside. If you go to an SSD it will be much less prone to errors and heat related issues, save some battery power, and should decrease OS boot and program loading time. Macrium has a free program for home users that does a great job for cloning a boot drive and other tasks.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I wouldn't even know where the SSD is in my old computer. Super silver drive? Super saliva drool?

The Mac I got was a MC812LL/A
My daughter bought it for me so can't tell you much more than that. It was a 2011 model so it is upgradable.

Thanks Alton for the libra info for excel and word. I will be working on that this weekend and also playing around with some video stuff.

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Sometimes the simplest fix for Windows is a new install.
You might not have the disk, but the product key should be on a sticker on the underside if it is a laptop.
You download the appropriate ISO for your OS and use the Windows 7 usb tool to write it to a USB memory key. Install from there.
Having done this a few times recently I agree and can also say it might be easy, and it might be a big pain. If the product key is for a retail version of win 7 you can download the iso from microsoft. If it's an oem key, microsoft won't let you do the download. Getting the iso varies by oem. For instance, from Dell it's available for the windows version the machine was sold with, from HP it's not available at all. If it's not available from the oem, you have to find the retail install media or a copy of your oem's media for the correct windows version (home, professional, etc.) from ebay or somewhere else. Whatever the source, you then need to get and install device drivers specific to your system. Once you get through all of that, make an image backup of the clean install so you don't have to go through it again!

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I wouldn't even know where the SSD is in my old computer. Super silver drive? Super saliva drool?

The Mac I got was a MC812LL/A
My daughter bought it for me so can't tell you much more than that. It was a 2011 model so it is upgradable.

Thanks Alton for the libra info for excel and word. I will be working on that this weekend and also playing around with some video stuff.
You got an iMac. I like them. Good luck with it.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Having done this a few times recently I agree and can also say it might be easy, and it might be a big pain. If the product key is for a retail version of win 7 you can download the iso from microsoft. If it's an oem key, microsoft won't let you do the download. Getting the iso varies by oem. For instance, from Dell it's available for the windows version the machine was sold with, from HP it's not available at all. If it's not available from the oem, you have to find the retail install media or a copy of your oem's media for the correct windows version (home, professional, etc.) from ebay or somewhere else. Whatever the source, you then need to get and install device drivers specific to your system. Once you get through all of that, make an image backup of the clean install so you don't have to go through it again!
I did a couple of Toshibas a few years ago, didn't have a problem with drivers etc. On the other hand, I picked up a Sony Viao laptop with a nice 15" screen for $50 that a "tech" couldn't fix, as I suspected, HDD issues. Tossed in a small SSD Basic reinstall of the OS was not an issue, getting the Sony drivers for their special hardware was like pulling teeth. Ended up finding a site in Malaysia that had the drivers I needed. The laptop worked fine without the special drivers, but what's the point of having a multimedia laptop when the multimedia stuff doesn't work?

Something he can check is if there is a recovery partition, it is quite possible. Found this in a second:

First restart your Toshiba laptop. Press either "F1," "0," or "F8" to be taken to your computer's hard drive utility screen. The key command differs depending on the model Toshiba computer that you own.

Select "Restore Original Factory Image" from the list of options in System Recovery. Verify that you want to continue the process by clicking "Yes," then click "Next". Keep in mind, that the factory restore will wipe your hard drive and anything that you had created
(pictures, documents, favorites, music) will be gone when it is completed and not recoverable.

It is all a guess without the model, the history, what he has and does not have etc.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
BEEN RUNNING MICROSOFT PRODUCTS SINCE THE EARLY 90'S. Never again. I'm done with them. They are great if you are a computer guy or gal that likes to work on computers and fix them all the time. I'm not. I'm one of those people who want to get on the computer and use it. Kind of like a car. I want to go out, start it and use it to get where I'm going. Others like to play around and tinker on their cars. I get it, for some its a hobby.

Well, my daughter bought me an early bday present. A new refurbished mac from 2011. My 2 old microsoft computers were also from 2011. The difference is the mac works incredibly well. In 1 day I am about 80% up to speed on this new thing. Only thing left is to figure out a solution for my excel and word docs and I'll work on that this weekend.

Normally in the morning I wake up my windows PC,, go make coffee and wait for that to finish then get a cup and by then usually the computer is almost ready to run at a snails pace. This thing I woke up, had alerts and was ready to go instantaneously.

I know others love microsoft but as I said they always seem to need some tinkering to run properly and I'm just not a computer guy. I just want to turn it on and have it work. Apple accomplished this and i see why they have a following. I still think they are overpriced but it works when I want it to so the price aspect will quickly fade and my anger and frustration over a slow to non running PC is gone.. That alone is worth something along with no more wasted time and time is always worth something.
I was a peripheral hardware (floppy disk, huge hard drives & mag tap devices) designer in my younger days, 1968-1977, I hated the software jerks & I hated the way you had to talk to the computer */()%#??? ASCII & EBCDIC , as I remember. Anyhow I never learned to "play" with a computer. UNTIL 1978, I went into the machine shop bus. My business grew & soon I was looking at the new technology, CNC machining. I needed a computer to program my CNC machines. so in 1984, I went to a trade show & found Apple with their new MacIntosh (black & white, 10 inch screen). This thing was so easy to operate. Install a 5 inch floppy & it taught you how to operate it. I got 2 of them, one for the office & one for the shop. I used them for 10 years without a hiccup. BUT Apple screwed their following, twice, in the 1990's with non-backward compatible changes. This turned me against Apple. BUT, now I am looking to go back to Apple, after having windoz 95 ............................ to the POS win10. I'm tired of Gates & his shit ! I look at the Apple reviews for the certified rebuilt ones & they are all over the place, great to shit. You guys are talking about used & new, I am leaning towards new. My theory being that electronics have a finite life & older units will have a shorter life & I also don't want someone else's problem. But I am ready, willing & able to listen to the pro's & con's. Also throw in the Mac Book, as well as the desk top models. This is worse than trying to buy a new car !!!!!
Bonus !!! Apple does not have the virus threat that Windoz has. I understand that the windoz virus plague is in retaliation to Gates screwing so many companies.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
@TAEZZAR Go with new on the Apple stuff. If you are going to keep it get the extended warranty aka Apple Care. Trust me, I talk from experience. I was like you, so against Apple, in fact I was a a Windows NT beta tester at one point. Now the only thing I have that is Microsoft is Office and Remote Desktop only because I have to in order to do my job. I finally took the final plunge nine months ago and got myself a Mac Book Pro and have not looked back. Everything just works and I run some really cutting edge stuff like ansible, terraform, vagrant, packer, docker, kubernetes, virtualbox, etc.

If you go the Apple route look up "mac homebrew" to install any software not in the apple store.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Was a long time Windows guy. Finally made the switch (my employer has us using iPads). So now I have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone. Love the Pro, miss some things about my Android phone. But over all, very pleased. It just works, together and with other devices.