• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

One way to use a stimulus cheque.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Millions of Americans received federal stimulus checks to help tide them over during the COVID-19 lockdown. Fears over food shortage led Tampa, Florida, native Michael “Spirit Mike” Chaney to use his assistance to start his own garden.

“I do biointensive gardening, which means planting as much as you can in a small space,” explained Chaney. “I specifically picked these types of fruits [dwarf plants] because they grow fruit fast.”

(I couldn't find an acceptable standalone source for the video.)

Golden Regards
Uncle

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
so, what's he doing? growing one plant at a time? oh, such a bountiful harvest...ppffttt

that's no way to remain fed...He's Doing It Wrong...and what's the Atlanta Black Star? sounds racisssss to me

eh, if this is what people are going to 'cling to' for any actual information, they're going to starve

Peace Out

edited to add: it appears to be nothing but propaganda...now for the real racissssssmmmm

how rare are black farmers?

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Wrong...and what's the Atlanta Black Star? sounds racisssss to me
I tried to explain. You're most welcome to try and find the video on a less intrusive site. It's also on FB. Most welcome to view it there.

eh, if this is what people are going to 'cling to' for any actual information, they're going to starve
What would you rather he'd do, given his location and capabilities? Buy 22" spinners for his ride, or a new 72" slime-box?

Perhaps if he can get some neighbours to do the same, the farming might be more sustainable.

How should he have spent his stimulus cheque, Buck?

Golden Regards
Uncle

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I tried to explain. You're most welcome to try and find the video on a less intrusive site. It's also on FB. Most welcome to view it there.

What would you rather he'd do, given his location and capabilities? Buy 22" spinners for his ride, or a new 72" slime-box?

Perhaps if he can get some neighbours to do the same, the farming might be more sustainable.

How should he have spent his stimulus cheque, Buck?

Golden Regards
Uncle
they're selling a facade, what he's doing looks nothing like what i'm doing, nothing at all

there are clues everywhere, that was a photo shoot opportunity and what's going to happen, people will piss their money away, trying to emulate what he's done and in six months time, they'll have zero money left from any stimulus they received, they'll have some dead plants in new containers and a very expensive water bill

that's not farming, that's not even gardening.....and that is not related to skin color at all

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
i watched it again, at the 1:45 mark, he says something about how if you're on assistance, all you have to do is buy a plot of land then, every month, with that assistance money, buy 4 or 5 plants, and at the end of the year, you'll be doing so well, you won't need assistance anymore...

plants are, how much? go buy one for less than $20 means you're getting plants that are small or are damaged or ... will need extra grow time, care / handling, if they're going to ever produce 'produce', chuckle

and that mulch...everywhere, even in those pots

so, take some of your assistance money and spend it on a set up of trolls and widgets with some potted fruit producing plants, place them on some cedar covered ground, in the shade

note the cedar covered driveway

on to the not-rusted chicken coup that 'produces dozens and dozens of eggs each month',LMAO, that wire is fresh from a roll and that wooden structure in the background wouldn't survive a couple of inches of rain...

that was fun but how many will be fleeced...i'm looking for any type of real information as should anyone who is aspiring to be a good 'backyard farmer'

it can be a money pit when done in the first place as that 99¢ bunch of radishes i buy at the store costs me about $5 to grow from seed...that's only when i 'labor average' my day (note the price of a potted radish plant is at least $5, clearance retail, at the end of the season, 99¢ if it's almost dead, plus you get the dirt AND the plastic container, when done properly, i'm trying for that 99¢ price point, yep)

In Fact:
it's not a bargain at all

so, yeah propaganda

so, here's some free advice, for Free!
buy seeds, learn to grow seeds, store seeds properly, but that's easy...learn to collect and store water first

free water helps take that $5 bunch of radishes down to about $2

i fear to say,
it's propagated to the black community
and will only lead to some of 'them', yes, being black people, being poor black people on assistance, (that groups exists), buying more crap they don't need, and they'll be buying it with the money they should be putting away...it's wrong in so many ways...

instead, make a video that says:
just go to the grocery store or whomever, to buy your produce, and if you're old, have them deliver it, you'll save a ton of money that way

that's a much better message: imho

:summer:

Last edited:

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
hmmmm

i wonder how long before those chickens are sold off...like selling the herd off, but only this time it's different...take the cage too

idk, it's uncharted territory

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Phew. Bucko, you really comin down hard on this farmer dude. You live over there in hollyweird, you must know ya gotta jazz up a presentation to sell it to the peeps. WTF? Pretend like they had a real farmer up there...
I know you musta have talked to a real farmer at some time haven't ya? Don't they just sparkle and shine, grin and make cool jokes — make ya wanna jump right in an grow shit? Huh... no, they talk about the HARD work, that ya gotta pay attention to everything growin as it grows and, did I mention the hard work?
Now for the follow up...
So, I would think if this constructed video of this dude encourages a hundred people to try this, and only half a dozen succeed, ain't that a good thing? A half dozen more self sufficient people.
Small steps, my brother.
Have some patience.
Advise others on the correct growing procedures, you might make a difference.

JMSO,
BF

PS: My neighbor, across the back yard from me has about two acres that he plants about half. He's black, and so is another neighbor two houses over that keeps an immaculate front yard, complete with sculpted trees.

Last edited:

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Phew. Bucko, you really comin down hard on this farmer dude. You live over there in hollyweird, you must know ya gotta jazz up a presentation to sell it to the peeps. WTF? Pretend like they had a real farmer up there...
I know you musta have talked to a real farmer at some time haven't ya? Don't they just sparkle and shine, grin and make cool jokes — make ya wanna jump right in an grow shit? Huh... no, they talk about the HARD work, that ya gotta pay attention to everything growin as it grows and, did I mention the hard work?
Now for the follow up...
So, I would think if this constructed video of this dude encourages a hundred people to try this, and only half a dozen succeed, ain't that a good thing? A half dozen more self sufficient people.
Small steps, my brother.
Have some patience.
Advise others on the correct growing procedures, you might make a difference.

JMSO,
BF

PS: My neighbor, across the back yard from me has about two acres that he plants about half. He's black, and so is another neighbor two houses over that keeps an immaculate front yard, complete with sculpted trees.
i didn't mean for anyone to focus on that black farmer joke, we're all intelligent to understand, there were thousands of black farmers throughout American History, and, like most of us here, they basically did what they had to

wtf...thongs are on way too tight here folks, way too tight

and no, that story was pure MSM journalistic crap, it'll do more harm that it will do good

those who know to research first, will already research, those who'll just dribble on their chins and follow this crap will fail

that could be prevented...like dead grandmas, bs sells everytime and we're so used to it, we just lap it up, why?

Because Someone Else Might Just Be Smart Enough To Know Where The Store Is, to buy all this crap that'll soon die

that tomato plant he pulled those green one's from, that's about a $50 plant, gotta cut into his assistance subsidized something

EDIT:
they'd be better off pushing the lotto because at least there's a chance they'll win something

Last edited:

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
want a tomato plant - buy a 50¢ tomato, cut the middle piece out - eat the rest - and put it into a pot with some good soil, water daily till it sprouts
want a head of lettuce - go to the store and buy a head for $2, strip the leaves except for a few at the bottom, strip the rest from the core, eat the leaves and plant that core in a pot of some good soil, water daily until it regrows
want some cucumbers - buy a 75¢ cucumber, cut a slice out and put that slice into some good soil, water daily until it sprouts

in every case, at some point when the plant is larger, transplant it into a grow box or a larger pot, they do better in a grow box, a box or pot filled with some good soil

good soil doesn't come from very many peoples backyards, let's back up and talk about a good soil mix and how to achieve that...

let's start with sand, you'll need a trailer to haul your first real sized bag home, it's much cheaper at about $30 a bag....

yep, let's sell the truth for a change

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Seems I made a minor mistake. I saw the original video on a Telegram group and it is not the video in the OP. But since I know how people feel about FB, I hunted down, what I thought was the same video, but it's not. (I was on my tablet and pressed for time.)

The original one I saw was from https://www.facebook.com/RobGreenfield apparently,

https://www.facebook.com/RobGreenfield/videos/1426647747712022/
(Can't embed and can't bother to find out how to properly link a FB video.)

Rob also hasn't uploaded the intended video to his YT channel. (Not really a long enough video, I suppose.)

I assumed that interested parties might be directed to the below, as per the video I saw on Telegram, and now his FB page.

Where there is abundant info on growing food.

Rob has some interesting ideas, and others, not so.

Apologies for causing any confusion.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Last edited:

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Is OK, Unk, we had fun.
BF

Oh & besides, I didn't watch the video — I went to blkstar and read the article.
(I hardly ever watch videos) <shrug>

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
everyone knows, if it's there, it's fair game...

:computer:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
want a tomato plant - buy a 50¢ tomato, cut the middle piece out - eat the rest - and put it into a pot with some good soil, water daily till it sprouts
want a head of lettuce - go to the store and buy a head for $2, strip the leaves except for a few at the bottom, strip the rest from the core, eat the leaves and plant that core in a pot of some good soil, water daily until it regrows
want some cucumbers - buy a 75¢ cucumber, cut a slice out and put that slice into some good soil, water daily until it sprouts

in every case, at some point when the plant is larger, transplant it into a grow box or a larger pot, they do better in a grow box, a box or pot filled with some good soil

good soil doesn't come from very many peoples backyards, let's back up and talk about a good soil mix and how to achieve that...

let's start with sand, you'll need a trailer to haul your first real sized bag home, it's much cheaper at about $30 a bag....

yep, let's sell the truth for a change

sand?

I go to the gravel/sand pit, they weigh my car on the way in/ I fill 5 gallon buckets with sand, fill the station wagon/ they weigh me on the way out... $15/metric ton...

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
yes, sand allows the water to flow through the dirt, helping to reach the lower roots

about $30 a commercial ton, in a forklift-able bag, from Lowes, i could travel and pay less but my time and gas says $30 is o.k.

i've trailered about 5 of them home so far, that and potting mix (about $10 per bag) for the top layer

next lower layer includes those two components plus heavier mulch, i'm now making my own, with about a 2" sand base directly on my dg foundation, boxes about 8" deep

water consumption, right now runs about 30 gallons a day, that will double by this time next year (i'm so small time, i know what this costs and if i were on assistance, this would be one of the last things i would do)...(I'd find a job first)

i have grown to 1100 gallons of stored water...about enough for a bit more than 30 days worth of watering for the plants

yeah, and i've often drempt about that moment i decided Not To Learn To Write Code...
:ponder:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I like the sand pit rather than having 1-ton bags delivered (expensive)... because I've already put the sand in 5 gallon buckets, easier to carry to their destination... and cheaper than "delivered bags"... that then have to be transferred to buckets...

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I like the sand pit rather than having 1-ton bags delivered (expensive)... because I've already put the sand in 5 gallon buckets, easier to carry to their destination... and cheaper than "delivered bags"... that then have to be transferred to buckets...
my first few bags, lol, i had no idea how much i was going to need so i bought a few 50 lb bags, retail

never going to do that again, and handling the smaller prebagged was easier than the bulk ton bag, but, how many 5 gallon buckets would it take to handle a ton of material? they cost about $3 each these days, gotta factor those in also...gotta store 'em, etc...

yeah, it's a chore, but:
That's why we created wheelbarrows before we created 5 gallon pails before we created 50 pound bags...

it's like that technology progression that never seems to end, it all starts somewhere

:summer:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of used Paint Cans - 4-5 gallons.

Filling up the station wagon, (back seats folded down flat, & including front passenger floor & seat) I usually get 750kg of sand or gravel per load = 3/4 ton per trip. Then a dolly at home, 3 buckets at a time. I spread a tarp in back first...

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I have a bunch of used Paint Cans - 4-5 gallons.

Filling up the station wagon, (back seats folded down flat, & including front passenger floor & seat) I usually get 750kg of sand or gravel per load = 3/4 ton per trip. Then a dolly at home, 3 buckets at a time. I spread a tarp in back first...
ohhhhh....

so, we're dealing with a Station Wagon....

i'm sorry, normally a pickup truck is used

:rotf::rotf:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
ohhhhh....

so, we're dealing with a Station Wagon....

i'm sorry, normally a pickup truck is used

:rotf::rotf:
Ya do what ya gotta do with what you got.
A house, a camper and a station wagon are enough costs with a 2k/month retirement.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Ya do what ya gotta do with what you got.
A house, a camper and a station wagon are enough costs with a 2k/month retirement.
you know i'm kicking at the dirt with a smile going....

;)