• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Our homeschooling adventure.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
can you please explain how you got that answer? It clearly says 7 sailors scream. This is why I hate math.
yeah, i didnt get it either. it says 7 running sailors scream, you have to calculate the number of sailors that don't run, just scream.

AbM3KAt.png

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
good grief!

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I think that homeschooling is against the law in France, but there are private & religious schools for those who can pay...

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I think that homeschooling is against the law in France, but there are private & religious schools for those who can pay...
is there anything that isn't against the law in France. Im sure Biden is envious. :( I'm in a pissy mood. My nephew vaccinated his 5 yr old daughter.

Sampson

Digging for nuggets of knowledge
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just found this thread. Going to post and then read the whole thing when I have time.

Good job on taking your Son's education into your own hands. My daughter is 5, turning 6 soon and we are homeschooling as well.

It makes me sad when I drive past a school and see young kids walking by themselves and wearing a mask staring at the ground. It is like they are muzzled and all their vitality has been stolen. So, so different than when I was a kid.

I am sure I will have something more to add once O have read through this thread but just wanted to drop this here for now.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Math question for our bored loyal readers. I'm sure the kid got the answer to this question correct; but they are saying he is wrong.
What do you all calculate for:
QAyAuDo.png
I must be an idiot then...

In this situation I would say 7 as well.

Why?

Because the question is asked "how many sailors scream?" They already gave the answer "7 sailors scream."

There are 'assumptions' to be made to get to the 'correct' answer.

"3 brave sailors neither run nor scream." The 'assumption' is that ALL the other sailors screamed "but one". That is not clear from the question.

Math is rarely about 'assumptions'. It is either correct, or it is wrong, but here they want you to forget math and assume.

2+2=5 because of global warming

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I must be an idiot then...

In this situation I would say 7 as well.

Why?

Because the question is asked "how many sailors scream?" They already gave the answer "7 sailors scream."

There are 'assumptions' to be made to get to the 'correct' answer.

"3 brave sailors neither run nor scream." The 'assumption' is that ALL the other sailors screamed "but one". That is not clear from the question.

Math is rarely about 'assumptions'. It is either correct, or it is wrong, but here they want you to forget math and assume.

2+2=5 because of global warming
its a trick question.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
It makes me sad when I drive past a school and see young kids walking by themselves and wearing a mask staring at the ground. It is like they are muzzled and all their vitality has been stolen. So, so different than when I was a kid.
Grand kids that are in school are made to wear masks. Grand daughter is even afraid to eat at the same table as other kids. They did remote last year. It's good they are back to in school.

The only thing I can tell them is that when they get older, some kid is going to ask them if they lived through the rona and after they answer in the affirmative that kid will call them legend.

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
its a trick question.
My opinion is that it's a defective question. One set of 8 is specified, with 7 of them screaming. Another set of 3 is identified as not screaming. The remaining 9 are not specified and you're supposed to assume that they screamed and did not run. There are other possibilities, however:

1. The pirates killed them.
2. They were literally scared to death.
3. They just stood there and did nothing out of fear (remember the set of three that didn't scream were brave)
4. They hid and didn't scream (brave sailors wouldn't hide)
5. They dropped dead from Post Attack Stress Syndrome, similar to Post Pandemic Stress Syndrome.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Kid was learning about nuclear fusion this morning and immediately proposed that once we get it working, we could build our own mini dyson spheres to colonize the galaxy. I found it interesting as all the dyson spheres I have come across in scifi were built around existing stars; so prohibitive large to create given our level of technology/access to materials. Love having these types of conversations with my kid.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
My opinion is that it's a defective question. One set of 8 is specified, with 7 of them screaming. Another set of 3 is identified as not screaming. The remaining 9 are not specified and you're supposed to assume that they screamed and did not run. There are other possibilities, however:

Agreed. My answer was a range from 7-16; one can't be certain what happened to the other 9.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Agreed. My answer was a range from 7-16; one can't be certain what happened to the other 9.
ok well at least i'm not the only one that got stumped with a 5th grade math question. :)

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
"I have two US coins that total thirty cents. One of them is not a nickel. What are they?"
"I give up. What are they?"
"They are a quarter and a nickel."
"But you said one was not a nickel!"
"Right, but the other one is!"

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Q How far can you walk into a forest?
A Halfway. Any further and you are walking out.

Q A plane departs from Texas on its way to California but crashes on the exact border between New Mexico and Arizona. 50/50. In which state do they bury the survivors?
A ?

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
A plane departs from Texas on its way to California but crashes on the exact border between New Mexico and Arizona. 50/50. In which state do they bury the survivors?
I think most everybody is on to this one by now.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
And ordered up a bunch of broken pieces to make a mosaic in the style of Byzantine art. Gonna make one myself while we are at it.

the mosaic he has been working on/off over the past couples months is coming close to completion. currently "grouting" it with colored/glitter glue. i think its turning out nicely. he is going to paint the board light blue and cut it out around the fish to hang up when he is done.

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
the mosaic he has been working on/off over the past couples months is coming close to completion. currently "grouting" it with colored/glitter glue. i think its turning out nicely. he is going to paint the board light blue and cut it out around the fish to hang up when he is done.

go0anhC.png
Another shark.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Very nice!

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
All done and hung before family gatherings this holiday season.
eKH134z.png

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Started a logic section in math, banged through a few sections without any help or reading the lessons, getting 100% in each just from reading and parsing the text. nice.... Kid just might have the makings of a programmer like his old man. Maybe I can leave him the business in a few years afterall...

s6ZCuBA.png

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
We have started a new long-term project: Building a blockbuster Roblox game. Using outline strategies from writing, story building, and mixing it in with folklore for a story line as the wife said (all big hit roblox games have stories that youtubers can talk about). Also, learning lua programming myself and teaching it to the kid for the game. edit: we are going to use a lot of the elements from his math curriculum for puzzles in the game.

Signed the kid up for a black-smithing class with a couple other homeschoolers. That should be fun.
edit: he just finished watching the first episode of a reality show on history channel that a friend recommended. "forged in fire" he really liked it and it was definitely educational. https://www.amazon.com/Viking/dp/B07N7H1BWN

Kid started reading the Hobbit.

Last edited:

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Signed the kid up for a black-smithing class with a couple other homeschoolers. That should be fun.

You should see if they have a Maker's Fair in your area. Its a loose group of folks who actually make things. Can range from blacksmithing to arts and crafts to hommeade musical instruments to 3D printing. Always interesting, potentially inspiring.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You should see if they have a Maker's Fair in your area. Its a loose group of folks who actually make things. Can range from blacksmithing to arts and crafts to hommeade musical instruments to 3D printing. Always interesting, potentially inspiring.
I'm fortunate that my longtime business partner has been a "maker" since before that was even a term. He's been to a number of those fairs and i end up the one picking up his work while he is out having fun. But he is a great resource for ideas, so he makes up for it. But yeah, going to one of the maker fairs is on the todo list.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Kid learned about cubism this morning in art history class and pointed out that cubism is still one of the most popular art forms to this day with minecraft and roblox games and art being the modern version. I can just imagine if picasso was given minecraft to build/design with...

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Dave, Dave will come in 3rd.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
A couple months back my wife who generally has a handsoff approach to our homeschooling said that she really thought the kid needed a science "curriculum" rather than just winging it. I did quite a bit of reading and looking around and ended up with this book.

It seems to have been the right choice. It keeps the kid interested, its laid out in a manner that keeps his attention and highlights important information well. And he is enjoying it.

Last week, we finally got to an art project that was on our todo list for a long time. Last year the kid out of the blue made a simple "wanted" poster for the cat on a piece of printer paper and all done in pencil, then taped it to the wall. I've thought for awhile it would be cool to make an old west poster to replace it. Learned about fonts, what they are, the types of fonts, how to find them and install them.

Hanging on his showroom hallway now, he said he "left the rough edges to make it more authentic"
CNj7d1L.png

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 9.45.39 AM.png

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
One thing I've learned in the past couple years with covid restricting parent participation/viewing of sports/EC activities.
There are 2 types of parents:
1. The ones that love the covid restrictions as it gives them a guilt-free excuse to not participate or sit through hours of their kids activities.
2. The ones that will do anything or volunteer for any task as to get them access so they can participate or sit through hours of their kids activities.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to read the story/outline the kid is writing to go along with our roblox game.
Was a bit impressed when I got to this section:
Side Character1: Nauta - He will be trapped on a boat in the second level. The only way to save him is by finding a rope. A step to getting the true ending has been resolved.

Nauta was a sailor who also was a fisherman. The evidence that gives that is a strange portrait that you can find randomly on the ground. It shows the sailor on a boat, sailing at 5PM. He is standing there with a bucket of fish. The Portrait is old and broken. But like most, they will ignore it. Nauta loved fishing and sailing in the middle of the ocean. It was peace and quiet, something hard to come across for him. It was relaxing, until that day. He was fishing randomly, and he noticed something swimming through the cold, dark, blue void of nothing. It was Jörmungandr, a son of Loki. Eventually, Jörmungandr ate the fish Nauta was fishing for, dragging him into the dark blue water. As soon as he plunged in, he felt like a hundred knives stabbed him through every part of his body. He tried to swim back to his boat, but Jörmungandr was catching up fast. Although Nauta got back onto the boat back in time, Jörmungandr had another plan: Sink the boat. He bit every part of the boat, until the boat was starting to sink. Jörmungandr put Nauta on the edge of two brutal deaths: Dying by drowning/freezing and dying by getting eaten. Both were awful. But then, right before getting eaten, Loki trapped him in the dungeon for eternity. He was doomed to wander it forever.
wove together a combination of things he has learned this year: latin, old man and the sea, and norse mythology...

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Kid learning about the "Dadaism" art style:
"this is my favorite style of art! its trolling art!"

Now he wants to put a copy of the mona lisa with a mustache on our walls somewhere....

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Kid learning about the "Dadaism" art style:
"this is my favorite style of art! its trolling art!"

Now he wants to put a copy of the mona lisa with a mustache on our walls somewhere....

Trolling art:

465px-Marcel_Duchamp%2C_1919%2C_L.H.O.O.Q.jpg

330px-Marcel_Duchamp%2C_1917%2C_Fountain%2C_photograph_by_Alfred_Stieglitz.jpg

Make sure he also studies Andy Warhol - people still aren't sure if he was trolling us after all of these years.

Worth a read to appreaciate how ridicullous the art world is: "Shot Red" Marilyn Monroes by Andy Warhol. https://news.masterworksfineart.com/2019/11/26/andy-warhols-shot-marilyns

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Kid did his intro to blacksmithing class this weekend and all the kids there enjoyed it. Made a nail (damn old school nails were beefy), a hook, and a marshmallow/hotdog cooking stick. not bad for an intro class. The guy teaching the class, is teaching a wildlife tracking class soon; which has the kids interest.

After learning about Mark Twain, he had been itching to read some and ended up choosing "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" after he read about it being the "first time traveller" book. It is a mite difficult of a read; but he is sticking to it despite me saying he could read something else.

Today he is learning about "Jules Verne", which is always a good eye opener. Then he will start on a story for St. Patricks Day cards.

Watched the 1977 Hobbit cartoon movie as a family this weekend -- kid finished reading the hobbit 2 weeks ago. The new versions were 3x 2 hr.+ movies? Nobody got time for that. But we did have time for the 80min. animated movie which filled the bill.

Attachments

• bsmith3.png
    bsmith3.png
    388.1 KB · Views: 13
  • bsmith2.png
    bsmith2.png
    611.7 KB · Views: 13
  • bsmith1.png
    bsmith1.png
    518.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The new versions were 3x 2 hr.+ movies? Nobody got time for that.
Remember: Jackson got New Zealand Subsidies and big tax breaks for filming and promoting New Zealand's tourism. So a lot of time was "eye candy" of the country's natural areas. While the last LOTR filmed was Released in 2014, the Estate of J.R.R. Tolkien did sign a contract for a TV series with filming in New Zealand and coming to Amazon planned for Sept. 2022.
Most Tourists that come to New Zealand spend some time at the various places where LOTR were filmed.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Remember: Jackson got New Zealand Subsidies and big tax breaks for filming and promoting New Zealand's tourism. So a lot of time was "eye candy" of the country's natural areas. While the last LOTR filmed was Released in 2014, the Estate of J.R.R. Tolkien did sign a contract for a TV series with filming in New Zealand and coming to Amazon planned for Sept. 2022.
Most Tourists that come to New Zealand spend some time at the various places where LOTR were filmed.
So basically they made it 3 movies long as a tourism promotion piece, sounds like I made the right decision to skip it. 7 hours of movie for a <300pg book? come on.