• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Our homeschooling adventure.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
So basically they made it 3 movies long as a tourism promotion piece, sounds like I made the right decision to skip it. 7 hours of movie for a <300pg book? come on.
"Yeah !"
1645492311673.png

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Kid naturally understood, liked, and aced the entire probabilities section in math. he now wants to play cards, which will excite his mom as she loves cards and I hate playing cards.

Aced his state capitals test. -- learned about making flash cards and practicing with them by himself.

There is now a group of 3 boy homeschoolers his age at his karate school and organizing other activities with the group. Son is only a few months away from testing for his black belt. His master showed him the belt he already got monogrammed with his name for him. I'll be damn proud as I never received mine. The highest rank I achieved was 3rd brown -- one away from black. He is big enough now that I am thinking about getting my own sparring gear so we can go at it.

He finished his winter swim regular season dropping lots of time in all of his main events:
50 free - 5 sec
50 fly - 6 sec
50 back - 8 sec
50 breast - 4 sec
100IM - 20 sec.
He is now heading into the summer season right on edge of champ qualifying times despite being at the bottom of his age group. Changing teams and getting a good coach was the best thing ever. A good coach is priceless.

The neighbor was asking if he was going to go back to public school next year and I said I didn't know as it is completely up to him. I'm not pressuring him either direction. she said her daughter told her, "he better go to public school next year, so I have somebody without drama to talk to on the bus." she is a nice girl who cant get enough of his time and waits eagerly for his stories.

He taught himself and is an expert at power point now, he has been randomly choosing subjects to create presentations in it.

My mom homeschooled my lil brother and I wish she was still around to see how we are doing as I know she'd be a huge fan.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Kid naturally understood, liked, and aced the entire probabilities section in math. he now wants to play cards, which will excite his mom as she loves cards and I hate playing cards.

Aced his state capitals test. -- learned about making flash cards and practicing with them by himself.

There is now a group of 3 boy homeschoolers his age at his karate school and organizing other activities with the group. Son is only a few months away from testing for his black belt. His master showed him the belt he already got monogrammed with his name for him. I'll be damn proud as I never received mine. The highest rank I achieved was 3rd brown -- one away from black. He is big enough now that I am thinking about getting my own sparring gear so we can go at it.

He finished his winter swim regular season dropping lots of time in all of his main events:
50 free - 5 sec
50 fly - 6 sec
50 back - 8 sec
50 breast - 4 sec
100IM - 20 sec.
He is now heading into the summer season right on edge of champ qualifying times despite being at the bottom of his age group. Changing teams and getting a good coach was the best thing ever. A good coach is priceless.

The neighbor was asking if he was going to go back to public school next year and I said I didn't know as it is completely up to him. I'm not pressuring him either direction. she said her daughter told her, "he better go to public school next year, so I have somebody without drama to talk to on the bus." she is a nice girl who cant get enough of his time and waits eagerly for his stories.

He taught himself and is an expert at power point now, he has been randomly choosing subjects to create presentations in it.

My mom homeschooled my lil brother and I wish she was still around to see how we are doing as I know she'd be a huge fan.

Very impressive. Once you get them to learn on their own, there is no stopping them.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

50 free - 5 sec
50 fly - 6 sec
50 back - 8 sec
50 breast - 4 sec
100IM - 20 sec.

That is completely awesome. I wish I knew what I know now when my kids were young—I would’ve figured out how to homeschool them 100%. And there’s no way I would’ve given them the choice—IMO that’s our jobs as parents to make important decisions about our children’s education when they are young.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Cribbage. Teaches probabilities, addition, pattern recognition and 'THINKING'... and how to shuffle up and deal!
Very impressive. Once you get them to learn on their own, there is no stopping them.
I hated school, or 'education'... once I learned how to research using a library I learned all kinds of things such as making oil varnish, how to make a violin/guitar etc.

I use the iNet as a library. A world-wide library.
That is completely awesome. I wish I knew what I know now when my kids were young
That is the regret of every parent. Most have kids way too early in life.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
And there’s no way I would’ve given them the choice—IMO that’s our jobs as parents to make important decisions about our children’s education when they are young.
and another job is teaching them how to make important decisions themselves. Ive pointed out the benefits of continuing to homeschool but its his choice.

it would be too much work to homeschool —while also working fulltime — a kid that doesnt want to do it.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Finished my first review of the kids st. patricks story to send out to his fans. A leprechaun has his pot of diamonds stolen by a shapeshifting alien, then goes out hunting the thief. Along the way he battles various cryptids using martial arts he learned from a previous captor and finally ends up on a ufo for the final battle. Its a humdinger....

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Finished my first review of the kids st. patricks story to send out to his fans. A leprechaun has his pot of diamonds stolen by a shapeshifting alien, then goes out hunting the thief. Along the way he battles various cryptids using martial arts he learned from a previous captor and finally ends up on a ufo for the final battle. Its a humdinger....
Attached for anybody interested. note: I help him with suggestions for clarity and grammar; but with the aim of leaving his stories with 100% his voice and ideas. I think it is a process that works well.

Attachments

• battleofcryptids.final.pdf
    108.3 KB · Views: 10

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I didnt read it, but here's an idea. First, half him think of it as a first draft. Second, teach him the elements of a novel or play - plot, setting, theme, character arcs, etc. Have him think about those and have him describe those elements. Have him think about those elements in his favorite movie - it could be something like Star Wars, whatever. That might give him ideas to revise/improve his story. For example, is the main character static throughout the story, or does he change/improve over the course of the story? If his story doesn't have some of those elements, that's fine, he'll notice that they are missing in his story and they can add them.

There is a great movie for teaching some of this, its called Search for Bobby Fisher. Its about the true story of a chess prodigy, Josh Waitzkin. But the film is really less about this kid Josh than it is about the costs of winning and losing and competing. (Indirectly, it very effectively explains why Bobby Fisher might have left the world of competitive chess and become a recluse.) Its worth watching because the characters change/grow over the course of the film.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I didnt read it, but here's an idea. First, half him think of it as a first draft. Second, teach him the elements of a novel or play - plot, setting, theme, character arcs, etc. Have him think about those and have him describe those elements. Have him think about those elements in his favorite movie - it could be something like Star Wars, whatever. That might give him ideas to revise/improve his story. For example, is the main character static throughout the story, or does he change/improve over the course of the story? If his story doesn't have some of those elements, that's fine, he'll notice that they are missing in his story and they can add them.
yeah, that is part of the review and editing process. I think I went through and added comments probably 5 times. He has been watching writing tips videos this year and learning better how to construct characters and storylines.

There is a great movie for teaching some of this, its called Search for Bobby Fisher. Its about the true story of a chess prodigy, Josh Waitzkin. But the film is really less about this kid Josh than it is about the costs of winning and losing and competing. (Indirectly, it very effectively explains why Bobby Fisher might have left the world of competitive chess and become a recluse.) Its worth watching because the characters change/grow over the course of the film.
One of my favorite movies, I've watched it loads of times; hell I clearly remember seeing it in the theatre.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Kid wanted to do something "dada-esque" for his St. Patricks day card.

t979q9T.jpg

SongSungAU

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Boy do I wish I had books like this when I was a kid in school.

A True Conspiracy and Modern Propaganda​

• Sent to our newsletter March 11, 2022
This week marks 60 years since a horrifying conspiracy was attempted against the American people. On March 13th, 1962, our top military leaders formally proposed killing Americans and blaming it on Cuba, inciting domestic panic and outrage.

Their ultimate goal? To drum up support for military intervention in Cuba. The official memorandum—which you can and should read here—stated:

“The desired result from the execution of this plan would be to place the United States in the apparent position of suffering defensible grievances from a rash and irresponsible government of Cuba and to develop an international image of a Cuban threat to peace in the Western Hemisphere.”

The only reason this did not happen? JFK rejected their proposal, which was nicknamed Operation Northwoods. If he hadn’t shut this plot down, the public would have been unknowingly misled, their emotions manipulated using false information to further someone’s desired political agenda.

I’ll be honest: when the Ukraine war started, I was emotionally manipulated. I saw images of a heroic looking president in the midst of the conflict, news of Ukrainian soldiers on an island telling a Russian warship to “F off,” and tales of the Ghost of Kyiv downing six Russian planes.

These and so many other stories were total lies. Lies, I’ll add, that much of the corporate media spread further, despite their professed love of “fact-checkers.”

Here’s the tough truth: when our attention is focused on one event or circumstance—especially one with a general consensus—that should raise warning bells.

We should realize that pervasive propaganda is circulating, hoping to shift our views in furtherance of someone else’s goals. We should be skeptical when everyone else is immediately believing the generally accepted narrative.

A century ago, the father of public relations—Edward Bernays—boldly published his observations about how even then, politicians and the media were manipulating people using psychological tactics that have no doubt been honed and perfected in the decades since:

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, and our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of…. It is they who pull the wires that control the public mind.”

Russia should not be attacking Ukraine, of course. But it’s not as simple as so many are making it. There’s been proxy warfare for some time, furthered in part by U.S. intervention: we’ve spent plenty of time and resources replacing elected officials and attempting to shift the balance of power at Russia’s doorstep.

There are deeper interests at play, and the opinions and attitudes of the public are being twisted to attain certain outcomes. It’s happened many times before, and it’s happening now.

And beyond the events themselves, the narrowing of our attention to one event elsewhere is a sort of sleight of hand, causing the public to ignore other things we should be focused on and concerned about.

This isn’t to say what’s happening in Ukraine isn’t serious, or worthy of attention. But we must challenge ourselves to think beyond the immediate, surface-level narratives spinning from our social media feeds and TV screens.

So, when the next great crisis hits, let’s ask ourselves a couple of questions. First, what are our government and media hoping we’ll focus on? And, the real question: what do they not want us paying attention to?

Critical thinking is a rare and dangerous act in today’s world. But we can’t afford to let other people decide how we should feel about every major event—much less, how we ought to respond. Collectivism thrives when people stop questioning the “acceptable” narrative.

The good news? This crisis of critical thinking can be solved, starting in our own homes. Teaching your children to question authority is one of the greatest gifts you can ever give them.

kids1-300x205.jpg

That’s where the Tuttle Twins team comes in: with books on foreign policy and peace, personal responsibility, economics, civics, and more, we have material for kids of all ages, whether toddlers, teenagers, or somewhere in between. We’re here to give your children a strong voice in a world full of people too scared to speak the truth.

The powers controlling our money, our information, and our personal liberties hate it when individuals and families think independently… But the choice is always ours.

Until next time,

—Connor

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Signed the kid up to take a standardized test soon (Stanford). I want to see how we are doing compared to the standards and I hope he performs well enough that we can use it as "evidence" to continue home schooling. Been taking some practice tests and he is acing them so far.

Kid has taken an interest in taking photos recently with his phone. so he is watching some basic photography tips videos today for "art" class.
He took the following photo while doing his wildlife tracking class this week. He enjoyed it so much we both signed up for the teachers next class where we will learn to make and "shoot" a "shepherd’s sling"; unfortunately, slingshots are illegal in this state due to a spelling/transcription error on the legislation -- which became a lesson in govt stupidity all by itself.

Another lesson this week in govt stupidity included the kid making a powerpoint presentation about DST.

NcyEpkw.png

Had another parent suggest we put the kid's stories on amazon self-published... May have to put that on the agenda; except in typical writer persona, the kid does not want to go back and re-edit his older stories. Plus with stories for kids its always iffy when it includes weapons and violence which a lot of his stories do...

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
One book that I read in early middle school about freedom was The White Mountains by John Christopher. Some of you might remember it because it was turned into a comic book (graphic novel) and serialized in Boys Life magazine. Themes are coming of age, government programming, self reliance, truth seeking.

Photography - today's smart phones have incredible photographic and video capabilities. If you can learn to edit videos, you can make a lot of money regardless of your age. Even better, start your own YouTube channel.

Standardized tests. When our son took these, he scored very high but we saw a few gaps, notably spelling. If I could do his homeschool curriculum over, I would have him write a 1-page essay or story at least once a week. He struggled with writing in high school but eventually got there. We didn't stress it enough because we took an "unschooling approach."

Also, have him practice the PSAT and SAT. The PSAT is given early in high school and determines national merit scholars. So there is an advantage to mastering it sooner rather than later.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Signed the kid up to take a standardized test soon (Stanford). I want to see how we are doing compared to the standards and I hope he performs well enough that we can use it as "evidence" to continue home schooling. Been taking some practice tests and he is acing them so far.
Well hotdamn, homeschooling for the win. Got his standardized test results:

Attachments

• testresults.png
    testresults.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 22

SongSungAU

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Yeah i was hoping he would do well, did not expect him to score “post high school” level in any category, let alone 3 of them.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Yeah i was hoping he would do well, did not expect him to score “post high school” level in any category, let alone 3 of them.
So digging into his results. One trend that stands out is the stuff the kid did best on were the logic/process related sections.
eg:
Mathematics Procedures > Math Problem solving
Language Mechanics > Language Expression

And so I ponder on whether these are a result of his natural ability, my focus on teaching him, or maybe things that just naturally evolve more as one grows older.

The social sciences and science results were nice to see; but I'm sure it is because we do a lot of history and science related learning and I don't think the public schools do much of that at all at the elementary level.

And for fun, the kid is still enjoying practicing photography and I was impressed with this latest photo he took while out on a walk. I think it looks like a water color painting.
TioxXs1.png

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I don't think the public schools do much of that at all at the elementary level.
CORRECT "Science" is now what .Gov sez it is.
History is now Political and Social activism ( follow the Leader We Tell You Too) aka Creation of the Useful Idiot Brigade

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
And so I ponder on whether these are a result of his natural ability, my focus on teaching him, or maybe things that just naturally evolve more as one grows older.

This is one of the hardest parts of homeschooling no one warns you about.

You never know if their success is due to innate ability, a result of your teaching, or despite your teaching (if you get my drift).

It reminds me of the Frost poem about two paths diverging in a forest. To me, the point is that you can't take both paths, in life there are choices. By homeschooling, you are definitely taking the path less traveled and you have to be comfortable with that. For us, we raised our son to be a critical thinker, to have certain values, to understand service, leadership, and free market principles. Because we controlled his environment, we are reasonably certain we succeeded in instilling these qualities even though they aren't measured on any standardized test.

So understand that your angst is just part of homeschooling, and its the price you pay to retain the privilege to influence all those other factors. If you frame the situation that way, most homeschool parents gladly accept that tradeoff.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
So last year the kid designed and built our raised garden bed. This year he will tackle a "wish list" item for his mom: A firepit.
So he is currently watching youtube videos and taking notes on how to build a firepit.

He will have to:
1. Draw it out on grid paper
2. Compile a list of materials, shop and order them online
3. Clear the area
4. Build the fire pit to his mom's exacting requirements
5. Burn some stuff.

SongSungAU

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Homeschooling surge continues despite schools reopening

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
While I was planting stuff for our orchard this weekend. The kid started laying out the bricks for his firepit. We still need to level and clear the area, so this was just a temporary setup to get the bricks out in the field and verify if his design was going to work out.
bUV429C.png

Also, got a chance to go to viking history festival with a homeschool friend, complete with lots of sword fighting against viking and knights from past eras.
IBsxlNT.png

today is writing day... kid is watching videos on writing suspense stories... he is into it. He likes to point out how modern movies fail at building suspense.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
This was a lot of work, writing, rhyming, audio recording/editing, video editing... We plan to shoot the music video in the next couple weeks.
bump for "Star Wars Day"

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
"May the 4th be with you."

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
So, furthering the kids CS education so he can go into the family business; he started learning about Database design today.

Had a nerf gun war with a couple of other homeschools yesterday at a park.

He made a pro/con list in regards to homeschooling. I'm trying to stay out of the decision process. But I think he is going to choose homeschool again next year.

hTExF3f.png

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Thought that was your boy in the vid, specs. Whoever it is seems to do a good presentation.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Thought that was your boy in the vid, specs. Whoever it is seems to do a good presentation.
yeah, nope. but it does appear to be a pretty good series of lessons on the subject.
If he homeschools next year; I'm gonna seriously put him to work and bill him out on programming projects.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
In the world we have now, men, especially white men, are subject to systemic discrimination. He will be much better off if he owns his own business, and the way to get there is to have experience with a variety of side hustles or jobs along the way. So I salute you with this programming effort. Think of it as one of many things that will give him experience - mowing lawns, painting walls, pulling weeds, etc. Check out some of the articles by James Altucher on side gigs - these can be the seed to his own business, or at least good practice.

Homeschool v normie school is a big decision, and a natural transition is high school. Make sure he has plenty of practice writing essays - when I was in normie school we had to write one essay a week. Writing, spelling, and handrwriting are one of the weaknesses of homeschooled students.

If he's an average or below average student, its no problem to homeshool during high school. If he's above average, then it can be a challenge to teach the curriculum, both due to complexity and the amount of it. The good news is that there are a lot of online options these days, even for normie high school. Also, my son has a friend that took dual enrollment at the community college most of high school, and for his senior year he hasn't even set foot on campus - high school or college - its all online. By law in Georgia, all of the state universities have to accept his credits, and he'll enter college with enough credits to be a junior. Dual enrollment has a lot of advantages over AP or IB.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
He will be much better off if he owns his own business, and the way to get there is to have experience with a variety of side hustles or jobs along the way. So I salute you with this programming effort. Think of it as one of many things that will give him experience - mowing lawns, painting walls, pulling weeds, etc.
Agreed. Which is why I keep looping back to everything he is learning and how it would apply to actual jobs he might do. Fortunately, he comes from a long line of self-employed men. All the men in my immediate family and in-laws are self-employed or have been for a significant amount of time.

Homeschool v normie school is a big decision, and a natural transition is high school. Make sure he has plenty of practice writing essays - when I was in normie school we had to write one essay a week. Writing, spelling, and handrwriting are one of the weaknesses of homeschooled students.
I was not aware that was a common weakness for homeschoolers, that is a shame. But he appears to be way ahead on those subjects (maybe not handwriting). Guess thats what you get to dedicated every monday for 2 years to just writing. :) Haven't really worked on "essays"; but have done some "position" and non-fiction writing. I will definitely put that on the list for next year. Thanks.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The wife collects vinyl for bands; most of the ones I have bought are film scores. And I was just saying how there must be a niche group of people out there like me and my son where we really like film scores. Then today I pull up curiosity stream looking for something for the kid to watch this morning and what comes up but "Great Film Composers" and suddenly we have our topic of the day. Best thing about homeschool is being able to follow your own interests and learn about them. Kid is learning the history and is assigned to create a presentation about film scoring/composers today.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The wife collects vinyl for bands; most of the ones I have bought are film scores. And I was just saying how there must be a niche group of people out there like me and my son where we really like film scores. Then today I pull up curiosity stream looking for something for the kid to watch this morning and what comes up but "Great Film Composers" and suddenly we have our topic of the day. Best thing about homeschool is being able to follow your own interests and learn about them. Kid is learning the history and is assigned to create a presentation about film scoring/composers today.
One helluva lot better than what is being indoctrinated in the perverted, pubic skewalz - no misspellings !!

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out the complete stupidity of govt regulating exactly what jobs minors are allowed to perform.

Non-Agricultural Jobs - Under 14​

Children under 14 can gain valuable experience working, but there are limits to the kinds of jobs that you can do. If you are under the age of 14, you are only allowed to do the following jobs:
  • Deliver newspapers to customers
  • Babysit on a casual basis
  • Work as an actor or performer in movies, TV, radio, or theater
  • Work as a homeworker gathering evergreens and making evergreen wreaths; and
  • Work for a business owned entirely by your parents as long as you are not employed in mining, manufacturing, or any of the 17 hazardous occupations.

My kid is going to start doing QA, documentation, and programming work. But unless he works directly for my business he isn't allowed to do these jobs even though they are completely safe? ludicris.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Kid started his first billable project today, designing/building some tables in sql server to use for exporting data.
Learned about entities, attributes, and datatypes. He is using the api documentation to build the tables.

Him: "I'm up for this project, but don't think I'm ready"
Me: "That is why you aren't getting paid well for it while learning. Now get to work, I'm not paying you to slack off."

this is gonna be fun...

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Kid started his first billable project today, designing/building some tables in sql server to use for exporting data.
Learned about entities, attributes, and datatypes. He is using the api documentation to build the tables.

Him: "I'm up for this project, but don't think I'm ready"
Me: "That is why you aren't getting paid well for it while learning. Now get to work, I'm not paying you to slack off."

this is gonna be fun...
Loved it , Crack That Whip !

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Kid did some research on summer solstice celebrations and designed our own family celebration the other day:
bonfire, some chanting, some banging on drums, burnt some sage, said some "prayers", and made smores.

He enjoyed learning this bit about megalodons and researching showing that it was the ultimate apex predator.
https://www.princeton.edu/news/2022...-anything-it-wanted-including-other-predators

Got a new project for work approved, where he will be assigned to build the specs for me to program from.

Working on opening him a checking account for him to deposit his paychecks and start writing checks for activities he is involved with.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Got a new project for work approved, where he will be assigned to build the specs for me to program from.
You should post all that here for us to learn from as well. I've always wondered where programming 'started' from.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You should post all that here for us to learn from as well. I've always wondered where programming 'started' from.
From my experience, the best self-taught programmers started out in "QA" and/or debugging other peoples work. Building specs can be part of QA work as well or project mgmt.

A developer at my wifes work told her a couple weeks back, "these are the best specs I've ever received". Made me proud, she is well on her way as well.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Kid did some research on summer solstice celebrations and designed our own family celebration the other day:
bonfire, some chanting, some banging on drums, burnt some sage, said some "prayers", and made smores.

He enjoyed learning this bit about megalodons and researching showing that it was the ultimate apex predator.
https://www.princeton.edu/news/2022...-anything-it-wanted-including-other-predators

Working on opening him a checking account for him to deposit his paychecks and start writing checks for activities he is involved with.
Have ya taught him How to apply for Vacation Time ? From this side it reads like the kid could use some "ME TIME".
"All Work and No Play Makes Johnny a Dull BOY".
Just Sayin'. Ya got a good kid their.
He gives me hope for America's future.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Have ya taught him How to apply for Vacation Time ? From this side it reads like the kid could use some "ME TIME".
"All Work and No Play Makes Johnny a Dull BOY".
Just Sayin'. Ya got a good kid their.
He gives me hope for America's future.
Its good advice; but taken care of as the boy gets a lot of "free" time. Any concerns I had that he was not getting enough educational time/work was blown out of the water by his standardized test results. The thing that is really enlightening is how much more you can teach/get done at homeschool when compared to traditional schooling.

As to "play", summer swim team is in full effect and the first meet is saturday. Summer Swim and the Swim club are always the highlight of his year and what he trains hard all winter for. I understand he is getting his first "little buddy" assigned to him this year; he is looking forward to it. Every other year he has been the "little buddy", so now he is suddenly the big kid.