• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Pawn Stars’ Rick Harrison on why it’s so hard to find silver right now

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can't argue...

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
He's an actor in a 'reality' show which has almost nothing to do with reality. They get their artifacts on loan from museums and present them as walk-in deals on the show which is about 90% BS. The guy even looks like Homer Simpson.

SongSungAU

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
He's an actor in a 'reality' show which has almost nothing to do with reality. They get their artifacts on loan from museums and present them as walk-in deals on the show which is about 90% BS. The guy even looks like Homer Simpson.
True, he is in a reality show and what is shown on the entertainment channels is all scripted. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that pawn shops are one place you can always go to buy or sell gold & silver items. Not saying you get a good price but pawn shops all across America provide a quick and liquid option for those who are desperate and want quick cash.

That said, I would never sell any precious metals (if I ever had any) to a pawn shop. I would seek other options.

:2 thumbs up:

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
If it was Chumlee...you'd have something!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
watching that guy try to express himself is like watching paint dry......uh...........uh...........uh............uh............

My wife does the same thing, takes her 1 minute to say 15 sec worth of shit.

Drives me nuts.

spit it out jackass.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
watching that guy try to express himself is like watching paint dry......uh...........uh...........uh............uh............

Drives me nuts.

spit it out jackass.
Half the time his eyes are rolled back into his head while he's talking. I wonder what he's on?

That being said, I must admit the guy has accumulated more wealth than I ever have so I tip my hat to the man

Last edited:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I think hes high on ego.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Drives me nuts.

spit it out jackass.
Lol

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
He's a chick magnet now.

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
A professional actor would be a lot smoother and polished than Rick.

Sure the show is scripted. What "reality" show isn't?

It's good clean entertainment, and you just might learn a thing or two.

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

Drives me nuts.

spit it out jackass.
Wife's name and phone number, please.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
You dont have to tell her she knows. She tells me off regularly.

Then I laugh.

I cant care.

Nobody dont care.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
You dont have to tell her she knows. She tells me off regularly.

Then I laugh.

I cant care.

Nobody dont care.
If nobody dont care, dont that mean you care? Shit gets confusing fast

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
No, no, I definitely dont care.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
i'll bet he was a pawn broker before he became an actor

business men like him take opportunities and turn them into careers, i'm a bit cynical because of the production cuts, that's the 'reality program' mentality these days, it is what it is

he's a profiteer, a capitalist, he's done well for himself, chumlee was eaten up by the production side...

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Ka Ching

he's talking NFT's

how can he lose? he's been 'on air' for a long while and has 'sayings', meme's and that type of stuff, he's going to make a fortune

chumlee may get some bail money if he were doing that...newest meme could be one of him behind bars saying:
I'll trade you an orange for a sandwich...

:summer:

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
And ripping off poor plebs
"ripping off" a person would require force of some kind. The people that sell to a pawn shop do so willingly. I buy and sell regularly. I have been accused of ripping people off because I pay pennies on the dollar. I have never stolen, I always negotiate a price and pay in cash. I do not tell you what your stuff is worth, it's the sellers job to research the value of what they want to sell.

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me somewhere along the line I heard the old man say something to the effect "we don't sell silver here; we buy it." Maybe I'm just imagining that but because of my memory I thought the guy might be quite a silver stacker.
I know that back in the day I had an uncle that owned one of those neighborhood corner grocery stores. Occasionally someone would spend a silver dollar to where he would take one in about every other day. He would put them in those big jars he sold individual pickles out of and had quite a stash buying at face value. Often my uncles and a few of their friends, all WW2 vets, were incensed at the time regarding the new "clad" currency, the new Immigration Act, and anything Kennedy/LBJ. There were a lot of bumper stickers that went Im4AuH2O2 meaning Im for Goldwater too. Johnson portrayed Goldwater as a war monger with the ad below. Interestingly enough though it was Johnson via his Gulf of Tonkin false flag turned the Vietnam issue into a full blown killing machine.
I am way out on a tangent here but just thinking people like the "oldman" and other old timers, like myself, have been in this stacking thing for a long time recognizing how the political forces have seriously changed the direction and makeup of this country. What a shame the old timers who were laughed at were actually right but on election day, not enough listened.

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
He said he sells Ag for $4 above spot.

That is accurate enough for me.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
It seems to me somewhere along the line I heard the old man say something to the effect "we don't sell silver here; we buy it." Maybe I'm just imagining that but because of my memory I thought the guy might be quite a silver stacker.
I know that back in the day I had an uncle that owned one of those neighborhood corner grocery stores. Occasionally someone would spend a silver dollar to where he would take one in about every other day. He would put them in those big jars he sold individual pickles out of and had quite a stash buying at face value. Often my uncles and a few of their friends, all WW2 vets, were incensed at the time regarding the new "clad" currency, the new Immigration Act, and anything Kennedy/LBJ. There were a lot of bumper stickers that went Im4AuH2O2 meaning Im for Goldwater too. Johnson portrayed Goldwater as a war monger with the ad below. Interestingly enough though it was Johnson via his Gulf of Tonkin false flag turned the Vietnam issue into a full blown killing machine.
I am way out on a tangent here but just thinking people like the "oldman" and other old timers, like myself, have been in this stacking thing for a long time recognizing how the political forces have seriously changed the direction and makeup of this country. What a shame the old timers who were laughed at were actually right but on election day, not enough listened.
would you agree, silver and gold are still undervalued, even with the average premium being 10% higher than normal?

i think so, and i have issues spending any money on premiums, i should be phiat-phat when premiums come down, let's hope the phiat holds a value...or dies, either way it's not going to be pretty if it's all mishandled...

i'm still buying 'values'...less than 20% premium gets a consideration, less than 10% gets a Buy

pretty basic and i'll finish, i have zero clue where this will all end up, but i'll never forget, silver is an industrial metal, gold, not so much but, it IS 'spacial', that is, gold IS a 'space' metal, like titanium, a few others

if the plug at the bottom is pulled, i'll suppose, based upon what i see, right now, a recall of anything / everything of value, there'll be exclusions, if it says 'USA' on it, it's not yours...same with bullion, jewelry and numismatics will remain exempt

just like they decree'd before, only this time with real teeth, add in some brown-shirters to dig through granny's silverware set because you've already got stainless steel...'hoarder bastard' they'll say

tag you front and back with paint balls...

it could go exactly that way, idk

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The "Old Man" who has since passed was a stacker. He bought silver and never sold any.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The "Old Man" who has since passed was a stacker. He bought silver and never sold any.
Was this the father figure in the show? I saw some episodes maybe a decade ago and I think I remember a father there. If he bought as a pawn broker and never sold, he must have got a huge hoard at a pirate's price. I have bought at pawn shops when I I could ride a bike, but that is decades ago. I would never sell to them. They are parasites. I won't oppose them legally, but I do wish that society would make them go away. Reality tells me, fat chance. Even the century old Sherlock Holmes stories include pawn shops. My opinion has no standing, but I view pawn shops as predatory maggots on our society. If someone needs money, just sell the damn whatever. If you can't get a few thousand from your emergency cash, you have already lost! A pawn shop is just another bad decision on your path of stupid deals.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
It is an interesting show. I used to watch it when we had tv, and deadliest catch. Have not seen them for many years.

If someone offers you money for something, and you swap with em, its a fair deal. You can always walk away.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Was this the father figure in the show? I saw some episodes maybe a decade ago and I think I remember a father there. If he bought as a pawn broker and never sold, he must have got a huge hoard at a pirate's price. I have bought at pawn shops when I I could ride a bike, but that is decades ago. I would never sell to them. They are parasites. I won't oppose them legally, but I do wish that society would make them go away. Reality tells me, fat chance. Even the century old Sherlock Holmes stories include pawn shops. My opinion has no standing, but I view pawn shops as predatory maggots on our society. If someone needs money, just sell the damn whatever. If you can't get a few thousand from your emergency cash, you have already lost! A pawn shop is just another bad decision on your path of stupid deals.
Yes, the Old Man was Ricks father. You must lead a very sheltered life if you think the majority of the people out there in the world have ANY emergency cash. They don't.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
You must lead a very sheltered life if you think the majority of the people out there in the world have ANY emergency cash. They don't.
Some decades ago, when I had very low income, my "emergency cash" was a priority. At the time, maybe it was only a few month's worth, but I always added to it and my preps. I don't think I was "sheltered".

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Some decades ago, when I had very low income, my "emergency cash" was a priority. At the time, maybe it was only a few month's worth, but I always added to it and my preps. I don't think I was "sheltered".
Most people today live hand to mouth. Any extra cash is a fantasy.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
And ripping off poor plebs
No.

He makes money in the arbitrage.

Car dealers do it. Walmart does it (what they sell for $1, they buy for $.50). Obviously, money-changers, financial engineers, and other stock and merger experts do it.

Is it a ripoff? If you really, really need a car, NOW...and can't wait for someone with That Perfect Car to decide to sell...you go to a lot and you pay the high price. If you really, really need/want to be RID of a car, and there are no buyers, you sell - for less than what you'd expect to get off a Craigslist ad.

It's convenience versus higher returns. The SELLER goes into the pawnshop, wanting money. NOW. The pawnbroker gives him money. NOW.

Not at payday. Not after weeks of advertising. Now...so the bill for the butcher, the baker, the credit-card maker, can get paid.

Likewise. If you want a widget, NOW...you got the money and want the gratification, don't want to pay retail for new, but can't find what you want online...you go to a second-hand store or pawnbroker and buy.

I've bought three computers from pawnbrokers. I'm sure what I paid was probably twice what he gave the sellers. But he had them. The sellers agreed to the price; and I also agreed.

And years later, they're still doing most of what I need. Good deal all around. THEY got new computers; I got old computers that aren't valuable but do basic stuff; and the pawnbroker got money for his rent and to feed his own kids.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
A professional actor would be a lot smoother and polished than Rick.

Sure the show is scripted. What "reality" show isn't?

It's good clean entertainment, and you just might learn a thing or two.
I think that illustrates why the interview was a bit plodding.

Harrison has been doing this for, what?...ten years? By now he's used to reading off pre-organized scripts. Probably loose scripts, not tightly constructed. But he's done it and is good at it. I'd seen some of his shows, when I was in motels, overnighting for the railroad.

In a serious interview like what was done, he didn't have a script or idea of what it was he wanted to say. He was thrown questions. He might or might not have had a pre-interview preparation, but much of what he was asked, he probably wasn't ready for. And this wasn't entertainment - it's serious stuff. Gold and silver - his livelihood. Inflation, what drives the demand. Economics, which he apparently understands but probably isn't formally educated on.

Plus, he had the human desire not to appear to be a complete clown. He was thinking carefully; trying not to say anything stupid.

I have done a couple of podcast appearances - not big names, just small guys I knew from online who were trying the format to see how it went. Speaking seriously but off-the-cuff is often a hard thing - and talented is the man who makes it go smooth.

Rick Harrison, who made his store into a multimillion-dollar entertainment venue, doesn't apparently have that last talent, that of the impromptu golden tongue.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
The blonde Kitco chick is hot. I would do her.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The blonde Kitco chick is hot. I would do her.
I liked Gabrielle better. She was a different kind of hot. More attractive than Miss Pretty, in my opinion.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Drives me nuts.

spit it out jackass.
funny you should mention that...my granddaughter is like that. I just had a talk with her about not holding people hostage when she is trying to tell them about something. I told her she is losing her audience.... GET TO THE POINT!!!

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The Harrisons were pawnbrokers before they were ever on TV. I've been to Vegas. I've seen their shop.
TV has a habit of dramatizing and I hear the producers created a look alike shop for the show to be shot in to not interfere with the family's business.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The show had an episode where the Old Man bought a huge lot of silver.