• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

PayPal may not be viable for GIM next year

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
ay, 2022 18:42
HomeWorld News

PayPal seizes alternative media site’s money​

The account of Consortium News has been ‘permanently limited’ for unspecified violations
PayPal seizes alternative media site’s money

© Consortium News
Payment processor PayPal has frozen alternative media powerhouse Consortium News’ (CN) donation page without warning, confiscating the site’s $9,348.14 balance with no explanation beyond the claim that “an investigation and review” of the site’s “history” found “some potential risk associated with this account.
Countdown to Great Deplatforming part 2? PayPal partners with ADL against ‘extremism & hate’
READ MORE
Countdown to Great Deplatforming part 2? PayPal partners with ADL against ‘extremism & hate’

CN was informed via email on Sunday that it couldn't use PayPal anymore and told “we noticed activity in your account that’s inconsistent with our User Agreement and we [can] no longer offer you PayPal services.” Absent any further explanation beyond the desire to limit “potential risk exposure,” the site was informed that the nearly $10,000 sitting in its account would be effectively confiscated for “up to 180 days,” after which point, “if applicable, we’ll email you with information on how to withdraw any remaining money.
The seizure came at a particularly damaging time for the reader-funded site, which had just begun a spring fundraising drive. Contacted by CN employees, a PayPal customer service representative confirmed on Sunday that no specific reason had been given by the “back office” for “permanently limiting” the account other than the aforementioned “potential risk.”
I don’t see any existing case” of a complaint having been filed by “any agency, government or private, or any individual,” they told CN, promising to ask PayPal’s back office to explain its behavior to the website.
More ominously, the PayPal representative informed CN that “if there was a violation,” it was “possible” the $9,348.14 balance in its account would be kept by PayPal as “damages.” According to PayPal’s own documentation, violations include providing “false, inaccurate or misleading information” to PayPal, its customers, or “third parties.
In a blog post discussing the suspension, CN editor-in-chief Joe Lauria suggested the site had been targeted due to its coverage of the conflict in Ukraine, noting that MintPress News – another well-known alt-media website with similar political views regarding the US and NATO's foreign adventures – had its own account frozen by PayPal last week. PayPal’s definition of “violations,” Lauria implied, could easily be stretched to include the Orwellian crime du jour of “fake news,” an especially egregious offense during wartime.
Last week, former RT America correspondent Caleb Maupin also had his PayPal account frozen without warning or explanation, as did MintPress employees Alan MacLeod and Mnar Adley. Many on social media have speculated that the payment processor is deliberately targeting those with dissident views on the conflict in Ukraine and US foreign policy in general – “thoughtcrimes” hundreds of other prominent commentators have been deplatformed for in the past.
Consortium News was founded in 1995 by the late journalist Robert Parry, whose claims to fame included exposing the Iran-Contra scandal, in opposition to what the site’s own biography describes as “a crisis building in the US news media.”
Skewering the “pattern of groupthink on issue after issue, often ignoring important factual information because it didn’t fit with what all the Important People knew to be true,”
READ MORE: Biden’s ‘Ministry of Truth’ is another propaganda tool
PayPal was sued in a class-action lawsuit in January, accused of violating racketeering laws, including breach of contract and unjust enrichment, for refusing to explain the reasoning behind its decision to freeze several customer accounts.
Famed poker professional Chris Moneymaker was to be the lead plaintiff after having $12,000 of his money confiscated by the website, but after publicity began to build around the lawsuit, PayPal refunded his earnings. Nevertheless, several other plaintiffs stepped in to replace him, including fellow poker professional Lena Evans, who alleged the payment processor had first frozen and then stolen $26,984 from her account.
PayPal’s terms of service prohibit customers from using the platform for “illegal activities,” including covering gambling expenses, but the lawsuit argues the payment processor cannot simply confiscate funds from customers who violate those terms.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220504-022607_Sketchbook.jpg

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Never heard of "HomeWorld News" or "Consortium News." Is this story confirmed elsewhere?

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have considered that even if I never buy shares of bitcoin or crypto it might not be a bad idea to have an account and learn how to use it to transact.

Rip Van Winkle

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
PayPal stole 3000 from from me a couple years ago for selling auto knives which violated their terms of service. I sell on GunBroker and people would the models they bought in the notes.

the_shootist

Politically Gender Neutral
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I also dropped my PP account a year ago once I discovered their deceptive and immoral business practices.

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What other way can you make donations to GIM2 in the future?

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Eagle
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
What other way can you make donations to GIM2 in the future?
Plan ahead and mail payments.

Note mods, give folks time to do this.

alicestevens

Reaction score
There are cheaper services than PayPal.
You can contact venmo phone number this way and ask them about all the fees and condition they offer for their customers.
I have a good experience with Payoneer, just not so many online websites except it.

Last edited:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Money orders personal check and more

Agavegirl1

Gold Chaser
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I dropped PP over a year ago and have been using Venmo for money transfers between friends and family.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I dropped PP over a year ago and have been using Venmo for money transfers between friends and family.
They are both I just signed up for Venmo. A few clients inquired so I indulged. PP owns V.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks. The digital noose is being tightened around our collective necks....

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I concur with mailing money orders…. If Scorp wouldn’t mind the trouble to setup a PO Box for the LLC.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That is going to be the only way left.

The radicals are now hellbent on starving contrarian voices, out. The takeover of Twitter was a declaration of war. Now there will be NO opposing views, tolerated.

Everything they control. Any kind of electronic funds transfer through their platforms or through their colleagues in the crony-banks.

LEAVING only, going to Walmart or 7-Eleven, buying a money order, and mailing it. How quaint! But this is how The Resistance must now be financed.

Agavegirl1

Gold Chaser
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
They are both I just signed up for Venmo. A few clients inquired so I indulged. PP owns V.
I don’t think they will bother me paying relatives for charity. Does anyone know about Zelle?

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I don’t think they will bother me paying relatives for charity. Does anyone know about Zelle?
Just saw an advertisement for that service today while watching the tube with a fire stick. The first I heard of it was your mention.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Is PP no longer an option on the bay?

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
More = some cash wrapped in a sheet of paper and stuffed in an envelope. That's probably the easiest for all involved.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Is PP no longer an option on the bay?
PP is still the preferred method of payment on Bay. However, they have bypassed PP as a payment method to you, if you’re a seller.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Go find me?

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
How about we start donating now and not wait untill last year, can the server be prepaid for 2 years??

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
Why anyone would use gaypal as a seller or receiver voluntarily is beyond me. I have a small website and I set it up to accept stripe as payments(no gaypal allowed). Gaypal are thieves. They'll steal your money and force you to prove it's yours and that you aren't involved in a drug smuggling ring or whatever else they concoct. (Guilty until proven innocent)