• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

PCGS SLAB FOR SALE

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

( Uh more than one person is crazy in this video)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
They put silver coins in slabs so folks who really don't care about weight/melt/intrinsic value can have numismatic coins. OK. They are still real silver coins.

Here, however, is a case where I see the hole in numismatics. Somebody thinks a dead bug in plastic is worth at least 44 ounces of .999 pure silver. Holy shit.

What is the difference between a dead fargin bug squashed in a piece of plastic... and a banana taped to a wall? Hm?

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
They put silver coins in slabs so folks who really don't care about weight/melt/intrinsic value can have numismatic coins. OK. They are still real silver coins.

Here, however, is a case where I see the hole in numismatics. Somebody thinks a dead bug in plastic is worth at least 44 ounces of .999 pure silver. Holy shit.

What is the difference between a dead fargin bug squashed in a piece of plastic... and a banana taped to a wall? Hm?
the value is in the Back-Story

if that banana was taped to the wall by anyone 'interesting' and it was certified, or memorialized with a photo and perhaps some documentation, that banana would rise in value, the tape would add value as well

i've not heard of this subject before and i think it's a bit macabre, but, it's a bunch of guys we're referencing here, certifying a booger wouldn't surprise me anymore

and just a side note:
anyone else notice: this abomination was sold AFTER the grading house just changed CEO's?

that reminds me of this one:
A Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
As the story goes....

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
GREAT COLLECTIONS is a legit auction site. I've bought a lot from them.
Ans YES ! The back story makes it.
Chance are LCS or Collector has been "Bugged" like that in their past and wanted the successful encased "trophy".

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
GREAT COLLECTIONS is a legit auction site. I've bought a lot from them.
Ans YES ! The back story makes it.
Chance are LCS or Collector has been "Bugged" like that in their past and wanted the successful encased "trophy".
but the reflection that has on the grading company is really terrible

the optics are:
Would you trust these guys with your million dollar coin if they're doing this 'on the side'?

Are they drinking while they're just 'hanging around'?

from a grading house that can do no wrong, they glorify the time they fk it all up

that's not class, that's just greed

and if they're too stuipid to realize this, that's on them

this isn't cute, it'd be like a heart surgeon braggin he's got someone's artery in his pocket...see?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

the optics are:
Would you trust these guys with your million dollar coin if they're doing this 'on the side'?

Are they drinking while they're just 'hanging around'?

from a grading house that can do no wrong, they glorify the time they fk it all up

that's not class, that's just greed

and if they're too stuipid to realize this, that's on them

this isn't cute, it'd be like a heart surgeon braggin he's got someone's artery in his pocket...see?
Ya got it this time, Buck. That is the point I was trying to make.

What is being TRADED here is not some famous wag taping a banana to a wall, thereby making the banana famous. What is being TRADED is the NAME OF THE PCGS IN THE NUMISMATIC INDUSTRY.

What's next? A semen sample? A human eyeball?

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
As far as I know this is a one of a kind incident. The sensationalism is a "one off" and probably meant for insiders and fans of the history of PCGS.
I seriously doubt this will become a long time "Black-eye" event for PCGS.
REMEMBER: The Last Perfect Man was nailed to a cross and had a spear ran through his liver.
To paraphrase another book " He who has NEVER FUQUED UP cast the first stone". JMO

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
As far as I know this is a one of a kind incident. The sensationalism is a "one off" and probably meant for insiders and fans of the history of PCGS.
I seriously doubt this will become a long time "Black-eye" event for PCGS.
REMEMBER: The Last Perfect Man was nailed to a cross and had a spear ran through his liver.
To paraphrase another book " He who has NEVER FUQUED UP cast the first stone". JMO

hey GB, what if i told you the monopoly company was going to turn that rich man they have into a pimp, put a big penis on him at the mold company, then one day sell it off as a joke, is that o.k. too?

you're making it sound like it's a big terrible thing i'm painting a picture of and their business is going to hurt...

that's not it at all

their business will probably pick up, i'm saying that's a shame
their reputation will not be hurt, i'm saying that's a shame
a joke turns into a marketing ploy, that's what i'm saying, that's a sham...
if you believe these guys don't dick off in the grading rooms, your sadly mistaken, that's part of the reason there are so many 70's that aren't any better than all those 69's they kick out...

etc

you think i'm being harsh, while what i'm saying:
having this come from a company that touts itself as above the rest, they're so good they don't wear gloves when they grade, their coins sell for so much more

then we see this...........(with the cricket)

(here's a) very poor example, but it's the first that comes to mind:
why don't we have Taezzars insurance company send someone out and have him begin to laugh out loud at the damage he sees....

...where's the credibility?

it's there one minute, then gone the next? humans never work that way

idk if this spells it out but for me, it's another group of mini-elites laughing and having fun while telling us the hobby is no good without them, (and they're) fkning around in the grading room / slabbing room, then they take their Trash and Sell It!

i'm trying to point out why i'm pointing them out, having fun is one thing, being professional to the standards they advertise they possess is an entirely different thing

so, next time you have a valuable coin, go ahead, send it in with a $100....then Trust they won't get any of it wrong because their attentions aren't divided between fun & Profit and work

is my point any clearer, i hope so....uurrggghhhh, i'm trying

(edit: i left out a few words, so i added them for clarity)

Last edited:

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
here's even a better example;
Nurses who are working at hospitals full of so many dying people, they have time to choreograph dance sets and then take the time to film these 'events' then have enough time to post them on-line...even go on talk shows to display their entourages moves(makes me wonder who's on duty now and what they're producing for next weeks show)

that's the lack of professionalism i'm talking about.......

it used to be: people would be embarrassed by presenting anything unprofessional as a "Look What I Can Do Moment", unless one was a child or drunk, that didn't help, but it would seem there are enough people who no longer view credibility or any professional word as having any credibility, any longer

and we see there is a plethora of people who have the money to buy just about anything

i was once told, if you take a turd, paint it gold and put it on the counter of a convenience store with a sign that says $10 on it, someone will buy it

why not?
we got a turd for a president, turds for professionals...why not?

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
hey GB, what if i told you the monopoly company was going to turn that rich man they have into a pimp, put a big penis on him at the mold company, then one day sell it off as a joke, is that o.k. too?
I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

i was once told, if you take a turd, paint it gold and put it on the counter of a convenience store with a sign that says $10 on it, someone will buy it
"If you put two things together that have never been put together before some schmuck will buy it". - George Carlin

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

"If you put two things together that have never been put together before some schmuck will buy it". - George Carlin
we're still on ridiculous...

here, let me explain...

1631420661107.png

here's a real live Jack a Lope, if i can get some Park Ranger with a PHD to sign it after i shoot it all to pieces, with that COA, and a cool "before photo", can I use the 'USA Authorized' logo to sponsor my auction?

i'll take my answer while listening to my computer screen...

:computer:

CrimsonGuardJay

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Im actually big into the graded collectibles industry, specifically in gi joe action figures and vehicles (all sealed), and i can tell you its both vast and confusing, with many things being graded that have no business being such.

my collection spans hundreds of items that are graded alone, and most of them were submitted myself rather than bought that way.

if anyone wants to see a clear cut case of scamming and shilling, look at the WATA games debacle unfolding right now (video game grading etc).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Im actually big into the graded collectibles industry, specifically in gi joe action figures and vehicles (all sealed), and i can tell you its both vast and confusing, with many things being graded that have no business being such.

my collection spans hundreds of items that are graded alone, and most of them were submitted myself rather than bought that way.

if anyone wants to see a clear cut case of scamming and shilling, look at the WATA games debacle unfolding right now (video game grading etc).
i had no idea, from an article:

In a nearly hour-long video posted on August 23, YouTuber and GoldenEye 007 speedrunner Karl Jobst outlined a series of apparent conflicts of interest between Wata Games, the agency grading rare games, and Heritage Auctions, the company that has recently been selling them for record-breaking prices. Not only does he accuse Heritage Auctions of fraudulent behavior, he also questions the motives of Wata Games, which appears to be a revolving door between graders, collectors, and sellers. “There is a select group of very wealthy, very powerful people pulling the strings behind this recent spike in video game prices and the same people are making money hand over fist,” Jobst argues in his video.

(Update 8/25/2021, 4:21 p.m. ET: A spokesperson for Goldin Solutions reached out to clarify that the firm actually works for Collectors Universe—a collectibles grading company owned by an investors group—which purchased Wata Games just last month for an undisclosed amount. The spokesperson added that “most of our firm’s work—including for Collectors—is not crisis-oriented,” and that no one on its crisis management team had been involved in providing comment to Kotaku.)

collectors universe is the owner of the certified bug company as well as WATA, then add in the Heritage auction house...snicker...yep

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I'll never be expert enough to buy a slabbed coin.
Who knows WTF is actually in the plastic anyway? I avoid them.
I would bet 50% or more of them are fake.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Who knows WTF is actually in the plastic anyway? I avoid them.
I would bet 50% or more of them are fake.

Good News! i own a few slabbed dimes, each one of them is real, i can tell, that's why i'm paid the big Buck's around here, you know what i mean pilgrim?

it's less than that 50% by a lot...however...once you get good at something, you really don't ever become bad at it again, that never happens to me, i'll keep buying slabbed morgans and peace dollars and other stuff because i'm good at picking them out of someones display case and buying them on ebay...and i've never found a fake inside a slab except what's posted on line about fakes in slabs (lots of it i had trouble believing, they would portray it as being so rampant, but i've not found that to be true at all, over a few decades - and i own a few fakes; morgans and peace and ase's even, got 'em from ebay, mostly for free because i complained and told them the SS had them...LaughOutLoud)

but, today, i'm not much of a buyer because the stuff i used to get that coulda been bogus, but wasn't, i used to pay $35 for it and now it's over $50...that's just too much and i'm not interested . . . again (but you know i'm telling you my sell prices today!)

i've been through 'collector times', higher prices before

right now, some people are paying stupid money for stuff they want, and i'm o.k., as a seller

i greedily purchased when they were all cheap...and now greedily sell when they're expensive

buy low, sell high (i'm not always getting $50 but from 99¢ Auctions, (those are 'fun' to watch as they develop), and people are paying $48 for a common date MS62 Peace, Morgans are about $50, give or take a Buck...and if you watch the auctions, some will still sell for near or less than $40 each

bbut that's more than $35...
:funky:

i've not encountered this 'fake craze' to the extent it's ever been written about...

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
WATA, then add in the Heritage auction house
i was reading up on this company...here's their pricing page: it appears they needed to make that industry a million-dollar-a-year-industry because that's about what it's going to cost to send something in, and maybe perhaps likely you'll get it back in 18 days or longer, they really don't know and or won't say...but anyways: Good Luck!

WataGames

Whatever brings you to video game collecting, we’ve got you covered with our objective, analytical video game grading service. For collectable video games our industry experts and experienced video game collectors provide grading services based on the transparent and intuitive Wata scale and additional services outlined below.
If your copy of a game was never commmercially available, that's awesome! Check out our services for prototypes to have it archived and reviewed by Wata and the Video Game History Foundation.

PRICING, DEMYSTIFIED.​

We strive to provide the best possible grading and certification services at the lowest possible cost. We believe we have priced our certification for standard games as low as we can for everyone. If you have a nonstandard game, find out what we offer for prototypes. For standard games choose the Service Level that best meets your speed, game value, game state, and budget needs.

Select​

• 170 Business Days*
  • Declared Value: <$1000
  • Sealed / Loose:
    $0
  • C.I.B. /Boxed
    $0

Turbo​

• 150 Business Days*
  • Declared Value: <$1000
  • Sealed / Loose:
    $60
  • C.I.B. /Boxed
    $0

Speed-Run​

• 45 Business Days*
  • Declared Value: Any
  • Sealed / Loose:
    $85
  • C.I.B. /Boxed
    $170
  • + liability**

Warp-Zone​

• 18 Business Days*
  • Added to the Speed-Run price of any game
  • +$125
  • * Turnaround times are estimates only.
  • ** Liability is included in the base price for games valued below $1000. Games valued from $1000 to $2499 are gradually charged more on a sliding scale for liability. Games valued $2,500 and up are charged an additional 2% of their declared value. If we find games on an order are undervalued we may have to adjust pricing on the order for correct liability costs.

‘A’ Is For Additional Features

Choose from a variety of services to enhance your game and receive the most value for your submission…

Deep “Badge” upgrade​

$8
Canyon Drive Technologies’ "Deep" is a prestigious, visually striking, and non-replicable badge reserved only for games in stellar condition to signify their truly pristine and special quality. Games that receive a Mint grade of 9.0 or higher will be eligible for the Deep Badge. If you select the Badge upgrade, you are agreeing to pay the cost of the upgrade should your game grade 9.0 or higher — you will not be charged unless your game receives a qualifying Mint grade. To learn more about the badge, visit our FAQ here.

Board Photos​

$10
Board photos of the PCB chips inside game cartridges are included free in the photo process on Loose submission over $250 in value, or with any Speedrun or Warp-Zone submissions. However, if you would like Wata to open your cartridge and take photos for games that do not meet these criteria, you may opt to do so for a small fee!

Light Cleaning​

$6 for sealed/cart
$18 for CIB
Cleaning games can help ensure that the games achieve a higher grade. Many games may have superficial dust, dirt, and/or debris that can be gently removed to increase the game’s appearance and grade. Soil, dust, and reside are gently removed.

Heavy Cleaning​

$24
Certain games may have stickers, sticker/adhesive residue, tape, forms of writing such as ink, and more pronounced issues than dust and dirt. Amateur attempts at cleaning risk damaging the game. The “Heavy Cleaning” process is a specialized process that can transform the appearance and condition. To prevent damage and ensure proper, professional techniques are applied, leave it to the experts!

Reholder​

$25
Damaged holder? We’ll swap it with a new, clean holder for a fraction of the cost and time of grading.

Game Testing​

$5
Wata will test your game and indicate on the label that it has been tested and works or does not work, depending on the outcome. Be sure to take the necessary steps to ensure that your game is in working condition before sending it to us if you choose to reflect its working state on the label.

Post-Grade Photos​

$10
Want to show off your graded games with high-quality studio digital photos online? For a small fee, you will receive three professional quality photos of your game after it’s encapsulated in a Wata holder. These photos are separate from the high-resolution photos that are taken of each game that enters Wata’s facility before the grading process.

Grader’s Report​

$10
Wata will provide a detailed, printed and digital grading report for any game. The Grader’s Report includes a line drawing of your game with indicators of all notable condition issues and their respective placements, accompanied by a descriptive key. Each report contains a written assessment of the conditions and factors observed on the game that formulated its grade. Temporarily unavailable.
GET STARTED!
WataGames

and the name Jim Halperin kept coming up...from wiki
"James L. Halperin is an American author and businessman that is the co-founder and current co-chairman of Heritage Auctions. In 1985 Halperin authored a text on grading coins, How to Grade U.S. Coins, upon which the grading standards of the grading services PCGS and NGC were ultimately based."

note to self: i've often wondered why i would prefer ANACS over the rest...i thought it was for their VAM services alone...hmmmmm

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

specifically: Thanks for this post, i found it very interesting, a side of them i knew nothing about

Thanks Again
:beer: