• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Phone Talk

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Deleted my posts. Thread was dead and contained a lot of old, outdated info. Far too many posts, threads & vids. nmcu

Last edited:

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Search, I got a letter in the mail from Telus[my phone carrier] this morning, it starts out.
Part of putting Telus customers first, means, continuing to upgrade our services to offer you the best experience possible. That's why as of January 31, 2017, Telus will be discontinuing your current mobile network. To stay connected and enjoy faster service on our 4G network, you will need to upgrade to upgrade to a 4G eligible device.

Now me old flip phone is the one guys use to make a call when there fancy shit won't get out. My phone seemed as fast as anyones as when I talk they answer right away so I doubt that can get any faster.

I'm thinking it's just another way of trying to make me spend money. Fortunately I have an old flip phone of my sons that is 4G compatible so I don't need to spend extra for something I won't use.

I'm also thinking folks are so used to having internet to do their thinking that the world will end up really being flat after all.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The part I find the most perplexing is when there are 5 guys sitting around BSing and someone asks a question, I or someone else will answer it but at least three have to search it online to find the same answer. Like them fsticks think the internet don't lie.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I just had to do the annual minute buy on T-mobile so my minutes would roll over for another year. Weird, they had a Samsung Galaxy On5 for free with the refill card so I took the deal. The phone is currently [deal off] on sale on T-mobile's site for $100. It has a bigger screen than my current phone and a much better camera. I don't normally use data away from the home so that part is not a factor. It is an Android phone, obviously.

Well, fit, finish, are better than my $50 about 3-4 year old Windows phone [Nokia 521], screen is much larger and easier to see.
However, I literally couldn't stand all the spyware from google and Samsung that you had to turn off to even get through the setup, and some stuff it seems you couldn't even turn off. It kept insisting I have a gmail account, but I skipped it and was able to complete the setup.

This is my first real experience with a Android phone. I have used an iPhone for work before, and have been using Windows OS since I got the 521. I know about "limited apps" for Windows phone, but so far I have exactly 2 apps on my old 521 - a running app for tracking distance and speed, and the game of Risk!. Haven't had the need or desire for other apps.

Running it bone stock configuration, I must say I hate this Android phone interface. I like the ease of navigation on the Windows phone. So much so that after a couple of days using the On5 I ordered another Windows phone with a very large screen and battery, 13 mp camera. Out the door brand new for $78. I guess it might be a case of "what you are used to". I will say again, great fit and finish on the On5, phone call quality so far was great, built in speaker not good for music, but I guess that is true of most any cell phone. It displays videos and pictures with high quality.

I will say this about my "old" Nokia 521 - I took no care of it, no case, normally carried in my back pocket meaning I sat on it quite often, I don't remember ever dropping it however. Believe it or not, it is in great shape and the screen looks the same as when I bought it years ago for $50. I wonder how an iPhone would look if I treated it the same for the same period of time? My previous phone was the original Razr, of which I had 3 over about 10 years before moving to the Windows 521, the main reason for moving was the pain in the butt texting on the Razr.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Search, I got a letter in the mail from Telus[my phone carrier] this morning, it starts out.
Part of putting Telus customers first, means, continuing to upgrade our services to offer you the best experience possible. That's why as of January 31, 2017, Telus will be discontinuing your current mobile network. To stay connected and enjoy faster service on our 4G network, you will need to upgrade to upgrade to a 4G eligible device.

Now me old flip phone is the one guys use to make a call when there fancy shit won't get out. My phone seemed as fast as anyones as when I talk they answer right away so I doubt that can get any faster.

I'm thinking it's just another way of trying to make me spend money. Fortunately I have an old flip phone of my sons that is 4G compatible so I don't need to spend extra for something I won't use.

I'm also thinking folks are so used to having internet to do their thinking that the world will end up really being flat after all.
i have always used a cell phone from their inception due to my line of work..........time after time i have had to replace devices due to system upgrades......i had one device a bullet proof nokia handheld that i had a cradle and booster kits and antennas installed in all my vehicles that was absolutely wonderful ..recharged itself on cradle...had full power and vehicle mounted antennas while in cradle .......i kept it till the last day of service for that phone.....i had thousands invested in car equipment ......a part of me died that day .....of course they were doing me a service and i had many heated discussions with them considering company wide i had at least 50+ plans with them but it didnt matter...pretty much had expensive crap phones since then...

Montecristo

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I hadn't seen this thread before. What a great public service!

When gold was climbing and we were seeing opportunists jump into the market opening up "We Buy Gold Shops" in any strip mall with an empty store front, with no knowledge of the business, no money and even less integrity we knew as soon as gold went back down and the great "gold rush" was over they would be the first to exit the business when the scrap gold started to dry up. You would be surprised how many of those guys left the scrap business and opened up Cell Phone Repair shops. The lack of integrity they displayed separating the public from their gold at fractions of its worth has not gotten any better. $50 to open the phone, $50 "diagnostic fee" then they really stick it to people with the cost of the repair.
Oh, and a big chunk of those same group of "We Buy Gold " opportunists went into legalized marijuana growing centers.
Buyer beware in both instances. Leopards don't change their spots.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
^^^^
Perhaps Apple's biggest leak? Seems there might have been some bigger leaks in history.
Unless you are an iAddict.