• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Pick ur poison 45 ACP or 9mm??

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Everyone firearms thread needs to beat this one into the ground. What you say. Be nice:cheerful:

I still like my 44 Mag and 357 Mag.

K_Flynn

Seeker
Seeker
9mm. Cheap, ubiquitous, larger magazines and gets the job done.

I'll say 45 because it raises more hell.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
"Pick ur poison 45 ACP or 9mm??"

If you mean for everyday carry, the tiny 9mm as in .380 ACP.

BUT, if it has really got to be destroyed, then I'll take the .44 mag. Why mess with anything less?

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
If I had to choose between the two?

45 acp because shooting twice is silly.JPG

Fortunately I do not.

Quad

Seeker
Seeker
For me, personally, and I think for many others, the more relevant question is 9mm or .40S&W?

It’s a critical, life-altering decision I’ll likely need to make in the very near future.

Every de rigueur thread should have an accompanying de rigueur thread derailment. :biggrin:

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Depending on the weapon, 40SW is a bit snappier recoil-wise, arguably more effective than 9mm, and 40 ammo seems to be more plentiful since it is a prominent LE chambering.

G

gbgunner

45 ACP if you can handle it effectively, and 9mm if you cannot.
Seems like if one could handle it effectively a 9mm is all one would need. Unless one had something against head shots.

45 ACP

I like the big boom of 45 ACP. A nice solid feel. Makes me feel all warm and cozy.

farscott

Silver Member
Silver Miner
While the debate will never be settled, I made my decision. I chose the .45 ACP. Here is why:

1) It operates at lower pressures than the 9x19. Thus, the bang is not as bad, especially when shooting indoors or in a car. I took a class where one had to engage a carjacker from the driver's seat of a vehicle. The muzzle last of the 9x19 was much more disorienting than the .45's. The sub-sonic .45 is a lot easier on the ears than the super-sonic 9x19.

2) I rather use a 230-grain 0.451" diameter slug than a 115-grain 0.355" slug. Twice as much weight and 60% more frontal area.

wiper

Seeker
Seeker
recently got back into guns, grabbed a millenium pro 9mm at a local show.

got a year membership to a nearby range, and put about 1000 rounds through it in the last 2 months.

owner lets me shoot his .45 if i buy the rounds from him...

i made a mistake. :)

next show i'm in the market for a .45

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Marlin Camp rifle in .45 for me, Marlin Camp rifle in 9mm for mommy. As long as she likes it and can "bullseye the T" I'll let her shoot whatever she pleases.

I've got one 1911 that was passed down to me that I truely enjoy shooting. Nothing feels quite like a 1911 and .45ACP. In fact I shot my first perfect score with our club while using it!
But I'm all set up for 9mm, it's what I started out with and what I've collected for a dozen years.

FreeMyLand

Personally, I prefer the thud of the 45 ACP, as compared to the sharper crack of the 9mm. The recoil feels more comfortable to me, and the standard 45 ACP load is very similar to the 45 LC. The downside to the 45 ACP is that it is much more expensive than 9mm, and also has less capacity and more carrying weight. Due to higher velocity and smaller frontal area, the 9mm is a better penetrator. The decision for me is what feels most comfortable, and what I feel confident will get the job done. Some will feel more comfortable with 17+ rounds of 9mm, while I feel very comfortable with 8 rounds of 45 ACP. If both had the same firing characteristics (recoil, sound, etc.), I would probably go for the 9mm due to higher capacity.

Argentium

Midas Member
Midas Member
Why is this an "either or"? I have both!

cazador

I would have to say that my preference is the .45, I usually carry a P220 but my XD 45 has the extra capacity if I'm in a high capacity mood.

Master_Ho

Silver Member
Silver Miner
My 9mm backs up my 45 cal, which backs up my twin shotguns (named by GIM "Yin & Yng") which back up my...........well, never you mind..........*lol*

leadfoot

Not really a valid question since .40 does more damage to hard stuff than .45 and more damage to soft stuff than 9mm.

Maddie

If I could only have one? Got to be .45 and a 1911 platform. It's a zen thing. No other gun in the hand feels so much like a gun in the hand.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
.40 was developed for ******* who can't shoot .45. 9 is a beginner's weapon.
Shot any lately? I can get similar terminal ballistics as you can find out of the 7.62x25 round out of the .357 sig and the .40 S&W can fire 185 gr at over 1800+ fps.

WAY hotter than the .45 and WAY heavier than ANY 9mm. Kind of the best of both worlds. HEAVY ROUND, ZIPPY DELIVERY. Just what I (and MOST LEO's) look for.

And my Glock 22 can fire all three rounds (9, 357s, 40)... Can't get much better.

Oh man, I'm gonna get creamed here I know,..lol I'd go with my Sig-226 in 9mm, first off, I'm very used to it, I think the most important thing in any firearm is ; how well you can hit with it, for that matter, I could take my Ruger Mklll .22, and empty a clip into a relatively small group because of the lower recoil, same with my Sig, friend of mine had a Colt Gold Cup, for sure a very nice firearm, but the recoil was stronger than my 9mm Sig, but if you've trained and shot your .45 a lot, that's probably best for you, at the end of the Day, it's totally about shot Placement

diogenes

Hell, Even my wife gave up her 9 for a 45......who shoots european designed rounds, when the 45 is as American as apple pie!

Glock

Watch the video below and then tell me 9mm is not capable in the hands of a good operator. I like all the major handgun calibers, if you can afford it try 9mm, .357sig, .40, .45ACP and see which one you like. Handguns are not primary firearms so it's really just a personal and logistical choice. Would it really matter if you had a .45, .40 or 9mm and had to go up against someone with with skill. You had better bring your A game if you have to go against skill like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Hi, I own them both. If I was going out the door and could choose I'd take my 45. Regards, Mike

Quad

Seeker
Seeker
"You must choose your weapon wisely so that it fits your own characteristics, not imitate others."
Miyamoto Musahi, The Book of Five Rings, Hidy Ochiai, trans.

I’m beginning to view the handgun as a primarily psychological weapon, even when you are pulling the trigger and scoring hits.
1. You draw, hoping the assailant will flee at the mere sight of the gun.
2. Failing that, you hope he’ll flee when the metal begins flying in his direction.
3. Failing that, you hope he’ll go down when hit.
4. Failing that . . .
Point being, caliber doesn’t really come into play until #3, and even then the results are subject to a very high degree of randomness.
Me and Musashi both say go with whatever you feel most comfortable shooting.

SWRichmond

Silver Miner
Seeker
"You must choose your weapon wisely so that it fits your own characteristics, not imitate others."
Miyamoto Musahi, The Book of Five Rings, Hidy Ochiai, trans.

I’m beginning to view the handgun as a primarily psychological weapon, even when you are pulling the trigger and scoring hits.
1. You draw, hoping the assailant will flee at the mere sight of the gun.
2. Failing that, you hope he’ll flee when the metal begins flying in his direction.
3. Failing that, you hope he’ll go down when hit.
4. Failing that . . .
Point being, caliber doesn’t really come into play until #3, and even then the results are subject to a very high degree of randomness.
Me and Musashi both say go with whatever you feel most comfortable shooting.
I hope you don't carry a gun. Your attitude is all wrong.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Finally a question with an easy answer!

reciepts 006.jpg