• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Pigs the Size of Polar Bears

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Chinese Farmers Raise Mutant Pigs The Size Of Polar Bears Amid 'Pig Ebola' Crisis

by Tyler Durden
Sun, 10/06/2019 - 21:35
SHARES
TwitterFacebookRedditEmailPrint

Amid one of the worst food crises in recent memory, Chinese farmers are reportedly trying to breed larger pigs as the African swine fever - less affectionately known as 'pig ebola' - has destroyed over 100 million pigs, between one-third and a half of China's supply of pigs by various estimates, causing pork prices to explode to levels never seen before.

As Beijing scrambles to make up for the lost domestic supply with imports, even desperately waiving tariffs on American pork products in what China's politicians tried to sell to their population (and Washington) as a "gesture of goodwill", farmers in southern China have raised a pig that's as heavy as a polar bear.

Once slaughtered, these giant mutant pigs can fetch a, well, giant price on the market. Here's more from Bloomberg:

The 500 kilogram, or 1,102 pound, animal is part of a herd that’s being bred to become giant swine. At slaughter, some of the pigs can sell for more than 10,000 yuan ($1,399), over three times higher than the average monthly disposable income in Nanning, the capital of Guangxi province where Pang Cong, the farm’s owner, lives.​
Soaring pork prices have encouraged small and large farms to experiment with DIY genetic experimentation, in the name of raising pigs that are about 40% heavier than the 'normal' weight of 125 kilos.

High pork prices in the northeastern province of Jilin is prompting farmers to raise pigs to reach an average weight of 175 kilograms to 200 kilograms, higher than the normal weight of 125 kilograms. They want to raise them "as big as possible," said Zhao Hailin, a hog farmer in the region.​
On some large farms, the average weight of pigs at the time of slaughter has climbed from 125 kgs (275 pounds) to 140 kgs (about 310 pounds). Some are pushing to boost weight by another 14% or more.

The trend isn’t limited to small farms either. Major protein producers in China, including Wens Foodstuffs Group Co, the country’s top pig breeder, Cofco Meat Holdings Ltd. and Beijing Dabeinong Technology Group Co. say they are trying to increase the average weight of their pigs. Big farms are focusing on boosting the heft by at least 14%, said Lin Guofa, a senior analyst with consulting firm Bric Agriculture Group.​
But Beijing is understandably pleased by these developments which have boosted farmers' profits by more than 30%: It has been pushing farmers to boost production to compensate for as much of the shortfall as possible to help combat inflation in the coming years.

As we noted last week, the pork crisis has already cost the Chinese economy some $140 billion at a time when it's already grappling with slowing growth.

Senior Chinese officials have already warned that the pork supply situation is "extremely severe" and will likely remain that way at least through the first half of next year.

Chinese Vice Premier Hu Chunhua warned that the supply situation will be "extremely severe" through to the first half of 2020. China will face a pork shortage of 10 million tons this year, more than what’s available in global trade, meaning it needs to increase production domestically, he said.​
Others are worried that the aftershock of the crisis will last for much longer: "It may be at least 10 years before we get back to the levels of production that we saw coming into this,” said Rabobank senior protein analyst Christine McCracken. “We’re looking at a very long tail on this, that should lead to a lot of incremental demand for U.S. protein going forward.”

Indeed, US food producers couldn't be more happy by the crisis hitting China's pork production. Commenting on the state of the pork market, this is what Tyson Food said in its latest earning call:

In our last quarterly call, I talked about the inventories in China being fairly high at that point in time. We do believe that those inventories have come down substantially. We are seeing the price of pork rise pretty significantly, most recently in China as well as poultry and other protein prices. So no surprises on that front. I think the impact will be sometime during our fiscal 2020.... anytime that there is that amount of protein that is lost from a global perspective, there is going to be an impact on price. And whether the United States is a direct supplier to China or whether they source from other countries to the extent that they can, it might be from continents in Europe, it might be South America, it might be in other countries. But that creates backfill opportunities for us. So net disappearance is going to remain the same I think on a global basis. Supply is lower which translates to higher prices. Not only in pork, but I think across the board in our other proteins.
To offset the collapse in China's pork supply, officials have not only ordered an emergency release from China's strategic pork supply, but have ordered farmers to resume pig breeding and birthing as soon as possible even though many farmers are still wary about the outbreak, worried that they could lose their entire investment if they start too soon and the virus is still present. Plus, the spread of 'pig ebola' has left prices of piglets and breeding sows at record highs, making it more expensive than ever for farmers to restock.
All of this points to raising larger, super-mutant pigs as a possible solution to mitigate risks and boost returns.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/chinese-farmers-raise-polar-bear-sized-pigs-pork-shortage-worsens

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
All this talk about pork prices going through the roof because of some pig disease in China. Of course that's on top of the beef prices skyrocketing because of the floods in the midwest and don't forget that cheap avocados are now a thing of the past with the tariffs Trump has put out there.

• Pork is still cheap
  • Beef is always overpriced yet I can still get some great steak at the local super market for $7 pound and fresh, lean ground beef for ~$2 a pound (just choose a nice roast beef on sale and ask them to grind it for you*) Professional tip: Never buy the pre ground beef. Where do you think all their olds steaks and roasts they don't sell end up? Choose your ground beef before it's ground* so you know it's pure and fresh!
  • Avocados are on sale at the local supermarket for .99 each.

Don't panic when you read stuff on the interwebs...it's most always pure bullshit

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Dunno about this breed of theirs, but generally speaking, pigs need to be slaughtered before they get much bigger than 250-300 pounds, or the meat will be very poor quality.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Beef is always overpriced yet I can still get some great steak at the local super market for $7 pound and fresh, lean ground beef for ~$2 a pound (just choose a nice roast beef on sale and ask them to grind it for you*) Professional tip: Never buy the pre ground beef. Where do you think all their olds steaks and roasts they don't sell end up? Choose your ground beef before it's ground* so you know it's pure and fresh!
My grandfather who spent his entire life (Excluding when he served in WW2 & being the oldest husband with children in the neighborhood) in the grocery business. He taught me decades ago - "The Best Meat Prices are found in SALES of Out of Season Cuts." Meaning in the Late Fall and Winter months buy steaks & chops ( Warm weather / grilling cuts). In the late Spring and through the Summer months buy roasts when they are on sale.
Of course this requires a good size chest freezer ( Family of 4) or an upright for singles and couples.
Another source if your grocer has it: Discount Meat Section - Meats that have lost their visual appeal but still good for use within a day of two OR freezing for later use. Beef goes from rosey red to brown under store lighting. Pork goes from pink to gray, but again still good.

Off-Season SALE prices will be better than those prices offered year around by "wholesalers" of Full Carcass, Side, or Quarter bulk buys.

Your grinds are the most competitive as they are year round uses, Hamburgers , Spaghetti(s) year round, Chili in colder times.
Buy it in Bulk when on sale and freeze what will be used later.
ps - If you know the anatomy of beef cuts you can get some Rib Eye Steaks out of Chuck Roast. One of my favorite tricks.
I hope these ideas help save you some $$$$$
Gb

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Buy a freezer. Befriend a rancher and pay for half a cow.
There is a lot of waste going that way ( bones, labor Costs, material costs) , but to each their own.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Buy a freezer. Befriend a rancher and pay for half a cow.
"Cow(s)" make good beef grinds and Beef tenderloins ONLY. To make tasty grinds cow meat like bull meat needs more fat than the animal provides. Steaks and roasts will be tough.
BUY ( go in halves) on a Steer or Heifer those are your beef cattle. Cows and Bulls are utility beefs. Ideal for beef tenderloins, beef tongue, and grinds. Not much more.
Plus you need beef cattle to have enough body fat and shuet for your grinds.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I pay 3.50 a lb in bulk. IIRC that included the processing fee.
Does "Bulk" price start at the carcass weight ? or After processing ?
That $3.50 prices ends up higher.
Plus you get stuck with cuts you may not want.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Dunno about this breed of theirs, but generally speaking, pigs need to be slaughtered before they get much bigger than 250-300 pounds, or the meat will be very poor quality.
Why do you want to slaughter one of those beauties?

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Hollywood. Actually homosexuality is mainly the realm of urbanites.
Used to be. Here to the south there is a multitude of dykes. For a while they all congregated at Eegle Butte ( misspellings intentional) mine but with the closure of that mine they have been scattered across this barren plain. We talked about EB having bad water. I think the reality of it is somewhat closer to the following.

First, as you mentioned, Hollywood and the evil old men who own the media have brainwashed these susceptible women into thinking this is normal. Second, they are working in manly type jobs. Third, because of the jobs they feel dominant towards other females. The women typically worked at mines closer to town but are now scattered throughout the various mines. I expect I will soon be fired for saying something offensive such as calling a coworker an effing fag because we say such things to each other as if we are still in high school. It breaks up the drudgery.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
While we are on the subject, there is a lovely lady giant oink in Plant City down here in Floriduh.

She is only 4 years old, and she weighs over 1000. HAH!! I remembered: "Roomba" <-- like the thing than goes around snarfing up everything.