• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Platinum?

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I've never been especially interested in Platinum as I have not viewed it as a monetary metal - and consequently know very little about it.

However I have noticed that it is
(a) a lot cheaper than gold relative to all time highs
(b) just about totally sold out in the retail market - literally almost no-one has a round or a bar available anywhere.

Against that I understand that there is predicted to be considerably more production than industrial demand this year and next.

Anybody here care to comment on their views on whether to buy at all, when and at what price?

Thanks!

3glocks1stack

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yes! Buy! Physical metal at the cheapest price you can find. *this is not financial advice. But........ I like it so you should too :)

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
Platinum is 10X rarer than gold and was always the most desirable PM until recent years. It typically was 2x th price of gold. Today, for some odd reason, it's 1/2 the price of gold. Like you I never really liked platinum but about a year ago, I changed my mind. It was pretty easy to find and you could get eagles for a $50 premium which I thought was high but I pulled the trigger anyway. Now, if you can find it the premiums are $200! When manufacturing kicks into full swing again it will go up. Maybe :)

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The main use for platinum and it’s sister palladium is as catalysts, and they are rare and in demand primarily for that purpose. Platinum isn’t especially beautiful like gold, silver or even copper; in fact it looks very much like stainless steel.

The current world economy might be part of the reason platinum is weak. Catalytic converters use platinum and I haven’t checked n]the numbers but I believe the auto industry is down worldwide.

2c,
R.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Last stock apockeylypo I put my money in plat and made back my paper losses in the market plus in no time.

I picked up some at $822, in april, they don't have any, but buy back price is BUY BACK PRICE: $934.45 so not too shabby.
If they start ramping up auto manufac, look out.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The main use for platinum and it’s sister palladium is as catalysts, and they are rare and in demand primarily for that purpose. Platinum isn’t especially beautiful like gold, silver or even copper; in fact it looks very much like stainless steel.

The current world economy might be part of the reason platinum is weak. Catalytic converters use platinum and I haven’t checked n]the numbers but I believe the auto industry is down worldwide.

2c,
R.

Lots of Platinum jewelry out there. Apparently not that bad to work with just must be real hot. So I'd say it's at least on par with silver in the beauty dept and wont tarnish.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Platinum coin premiums are an insane joke. They can keep them

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I had to pump this thread up. Things are really starting to heat up. Parity with gold? Maybe palladium? Any platinum stackers out there? Will you trade for gold? Maybe silver?

High premiums or not, this has been a very undervalued metal the last 3 or 4 years and it looks like it wants to take back it's status as the most expensive precious metal.

Primarily industrial, but used in jewelry this stuff is just flat out scarce. Definitely not a monetary metal, but silver really isn't viewed that way either. Also the dollar (not FRN, as these are treasury issued) denomination on a 1 ozt platinum eagle is $100 compared to $50 for gold, $25 for palladium and $1 for the silver (I find very laughable, the most precious of them all). Just food for thought, no market fundamentals to back that up.....yet...

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
If I have my "facts" right, I seem to remember that Russia was the top world producer of platinum...

If that IS the case, it wouldn't surprise me ONE BIT that its price is being SUPPRESSED by the CBs and Wall Street...

I like the shine... like my Avatar - Isle-of-Man Platinum Noble... (Narnia - Voyage of the Dawn Treader)

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
If I have my "facts" right, I seem to remember that Russia was the top world producer of platinum...

If that IS the case, it wouldn't surprise me ONE BIT that its price is being SUPPRESSED by the CBs and Wall Street...

I like the shine... like my Avatar - Isle-of-Man Platinum Noble... (Narnia - Voyage of the Dawn Treader)

I just recently saw a bar graph of the most heavily shorted stocks and commodities. Silver was #1 and platinum was #2. 3, 4 and so on where not even close including game stop. I know there are different fundamentals between stocks and commodities, but platinum is far more scarce and now I am beginning to think we will see a run like palladium has only this run may take silver up with it.

Love the platinum noble. In our universe one noble = $100!

I will have to check out the Narnia movie. We saw the first one (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe)in theaters years ago, but I know haven't seen any of the others. Will definitely check them out as our current choices for screen entertainment have dwindled greatly recently. My wife is a huge fan of the books.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I just recently saw a bar graph of the most heavily shorted stocks and commodities. Silver was #1 and platinum was #2. 3, 4 and so on where not even close including game stop. I know there are different fundamentals between stocks and commodities, but platinum is far more scarce and now I am beginning to think we will see a run like palladium has only this run may take silver up with it.

I will have to check out the Narnia movie. We saw the first one (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe)in theaters years ago, but I know haven't seen any of the others. Will definitely check them out as our current choices for screen entertainment have dwindled greatly recently. My wife is a huge fan of the books.

The pictures in the book, "Voyage of the Dawn Treader"...

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Silver Miner
Reaction score

CS Lewis was a great man and very far-sighted. His other works are definitely worth a read too including the Out of the Silent Planet space trilogy which is a prescient warning regarding the evils of transhumanism.

BeefJerky

Site Supporter
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Would you happen to have a link to that bar graph?

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I positioned myself in phys and paper, paper indirectly and directly. Of course the phys is up quite a bit, and the paper products are too.

Remember when plat was more than gold? I bought into plat phys at 1/2 price lol.

What goes down with manufacturing also goes up with manufacturing. South Africa is a producer and they have been having problems with producing last couple of years. New mining of platinum in the USA using Sawzalls is ramping up.

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Would you happen to have a link to that bar graph?

Check it out at 11:23. The original source material was from goldchartsrus.com. It does look like gold came in at #3 right behind platinum but the rest of the commodities were not even close. I will try to find the original source link, but I am running out of time. Gotta get ready for work!

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Platinum on paper anyway is playing out just like last time. Of course past performance does not equal future or current performance.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Back in 2013 I was in a coin shop and thought what the hell, grab some of those 1/2 ounce, $50 platinum eagles. They looked cheap enough relative to gold at $700 +/- apiece. Sure wish I hadn't done that. Ran smack into that Universal Law- the one that ensures a good beatdown as soon as I'm onboard.

And as that trading maxim goes, the cure for low prices is even lower prices. Maybe the years and this little runup will make me well again. We'll see. Oh well, I've still got them and would probably still have them if the price had gone the other way. C'est la vie.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
You really have to stop thinking about PMs as an investment like stawks or rental real estate etc.
You store your excess wealth there, to transport it over time, hopefully you never need it, and your family does the same.
Like being your own central bank.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
You really have to stop thinking about PMs as an investment like stawks or rental real estate etc.
You store your excess wealth there, to transport it over time, hopefully you never need it, and your family does the same.
Like being your own central bank.
Agree 100%. If you buy metals to get rich you're doing it wrong. The investment part of metals stacking, as GG said so well, is protecting your wealth and your buying power, not building on it

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
1612988078975.jpg

You bought at a second peak from the 2008 crash baby. Sorry. It will return!

Midas Member
Midas Member
Survivor
Reaction score
Last stock apockeylypo I put my money in plat and made back my paper losses in the market plus in no time.

I picked up some at $822, in april, they don't have any, but buy back price is BUY BACK PRICE: $934.45 so not too shabby.
If they start ramping up auto manufac, look out.
I read “ on the internet”, paladium was switched for platinum because of price- remember when paladium was $4-5 oz...with platinum running $800-1K. Currently, the “authority“ explained gasoline engines are now designed to use palladium, but diesel powered uses platinum. I expect another flip in the future, platinum which is half price of palladium, back to converting gas engines.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
When platinum was < $950 oz. you couldn't find any online. GoldenEagle.com had some reasonably priced Britannia's, but +$60 spike on spot today makes them expensive.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The time to buy may have passed. Your mileage may vary.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
I read “ on the internet”, paladium was switched for platinum because of price- remember when paladium was $4-5 oz...with platinum running $800-1K. Currently, the “authority“ explained gasoline engines are now designed to use palladium, but diesel powered uses platinum. I expect another flip in the future, platinum which is half price of palladium, back to converting gas engines.

its a new model year for vehicles .......they started the switch last summer when palladium was close to 3k.....and PT was sub 1k .....it takes time to do the slight redesign and respec and deploy and re-certify ...

biggest issue with the PT / PD physical market is liquidity and high premiums

Russia is the monster in the corner on PD via cold war stockpiles of unknown quantities ..........russia and south africa are the go to sources for both PT and PD

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Platinum is the best catalyst in just about every reaction. Palladium has some quirks but if you are just looking at performance specs I'm guessing Pt wins 9 out of 10 times.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Platinum looks like it is breaking out. Too bad there is almost zero mining opportunities anymore in this area. Makes physical or ETF's a little more interesting.

1612997968828.png

BeefJerky

Site Supporter
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Check it out at 11:23. The original source material was from goldchartsrus.com. It does look like gold came in at #3 right behind platinum but the rest of the commodities were not even close. I will try to find the original source link, but I am running out of time. Gotta get ready for work!

Thank you much for taking the time to post that. Much appreciated.

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

There are a lot more diesel engines on the road in Europe than here in the states. Our EPA won't approve them even though some get up to 60 MPG. Also there is potential for platinum to be used in hydrogen fuel cells. That technology is in the distant future though...

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Last edited:

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Plat started the morning confused, but now has found it's proper path - onward and upward!

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely not a monetary metal
None of the metals are monetary for the masses currently, with the world elite obsessed with forcing the little people to use their fiat garbage. Just the same, platinum does have an ISO code as a monetary metal(XPT).

Given the ridiculously low prices last year...which, in retrospect, look like a long term bottom...I stacked a bit. They have the nasty queen's ugly mug on them, but what can you do. I just make sure she's staring down when I skip them across the pond. With it's actual scarcity(unlike gold) AND industrial uses platinum seems like a bargain at < Au pricetags.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
You can always trade Pt for Au once the ratio falls below one.
It'd have to be a pretty favorable exchange rate given the availability of gold relative to platinum. Plenty of white copper to swap for gold if/when the time is right. Frankly, of the three gold is my least favorite, though its role as the principle wealth storage medium over the years cannot be denied. Guess I just prefer my monetary metals serving dual purpose as industrial fodder. lol

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
They are trying so hard to keep gold and silver suppressed they don't have time to sink plat.

Sweet.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
They are trying so hard to keep gold and silver suppressed they don't have time to sink plat.

Sweet.
Pt and pd are real and true markets its a delivery market (the buyers actually want the metal in the future not just to trade paper)....its hard to manipulate a market you have to deliver to....and there are little above ground stockpiles...if you sell it in quantity you better be able to mine it or have it

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Metal "red" continues, but it is tiny. I don't see a buying opportunity for Plat unless they knock it down a couple of hundred spot, and a shitload retail.

$1320-1360 a toz on Provident. Generic bar or Philharmonic.

Spot price? $1242 or so, about a $100 premium.

I would buy if I had fiat at about $1k for a Philharmonic or APE (American Platinum Eagle? lol)

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Platinum had a violent breakout and will need to back fill a bit down to 1150ish. If paper platinum gets back down to $1k, I doubt you'll find any physical for sale. ...at least not for much less than it is now. I'm stacking all the way back down to 1100.

As usual the platinum eagles are silly with the premiums. I'm stacking Pt brits and Pt phillies...screw the US mint and their price gouging.

Edit : Welp guess I'mma stacking Pt maples, and Pt koalas too. Local dood says 100 over spot, unless I buy him out(5). Then I get 75 over. SOLD! ;)

...can't wait to see if they skip across the pond better than silver eagles...

1613588650124.png

Last edited: