• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Platinum?

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Stacked some Pt Philharmonics with the paper metal bashing last night. Looked like a pretty good entry point...big premiums, but that's kind of the norm of late. They were 1389 shipped. ...and by shipped I mean, hopefully sometime this year...

1613757973359.png

Edit : Just noticed platinum suddenly turned negative today with the post lunch NY commodities smackdown. ...may be stacking moar real soon. Paper bankster games should trail some next Wednesday after they're done smashing futures to lower contracts standing for delivery. Might as well take advantage of lower physical prices as long as the banksters are going to rig everything with their paper scams. ;)

Looks like JMB just got 200 Pt Britannias in. Currently 1369 if anyone's down.

Last edited:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Stacked some Pt Philharmonics with the paper metal bashing last night. Looked like a pretty good entry point...big premiums, but that's kind of the norm of late. They were 1389 shipped. ...and by shipped I mean, hopefully sometime this year...

View attachment 202323

Edit : Just noticed platinum suddenly turned negative today with the post lunch NY commodities smackdown. ...may be stacking moar real soon. Paper bankster games should trail some next Wednesday after they're done smashing futures to lower contracts standing for delivery. Might as well take advantage of lower physical prices as long as the banksters are going to rig everything with their paper scams. ;)

Looks like JMB just got 200 Pt Britannias in. Currently 1369 if anyone's down.

PGMs have always carried a large premium on the buy side ....and usually a discount on the sell side ......so finding them from other people is the best way to go if possible ...... 1k per Oz or below has always been my entry point threshold but its extremely hard to find most of the time...........i have some PD i would let go of to anyone intrested

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Physical Pt, Pd, and even Au are virtually non-existent for sale around me mano e mano just now. Sucks.

Congrats, Pd has done very well! I'm looking to stack Pt, because it has room to romp. Even exchange rate parity with Au would be nice.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
There is a long-term downtrend line that indicates a possible return to ~1100, then ~1000. "Experts" say that a return to the downtrend line usually happens eventually, or a retracement based on FIB, etc.. ...DYODD. There is support at both those levels, so we shall see. IMHO, Pt may not return to those levels and is looking pretty strong, and is a buy on the dips. If it gets to 1000-1100, backup the truck. Good luck out there folks.

Last edited:

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm...LCS operator called me today to ask if I'd be interested in a swap for platinum bars...up to 19oz, which he's taking on tomorrow. This would have to be silver btw, so I told him I'd go ahead and lock in a rate of 29.25 Ag vs 1280 Pt or 43.76 ounces per. Now I specified that I'd only go for this with generic rounds...and he didn't seem the least bit put out. Doubltess he's falling all over himself just to get some silver in the place.

The current spot to spot paper exchange rate is 49.84, which is just coming off the best exchange rates in the past 30+ years. However spot is rather misleading due to the large premium differences. I have premiums pegged at 8.61% over(1338) for Pt and 21.87% over(30.71) for Ag...so 43.47 from my own numbers. Those numbers were unavailable this morning when the deal was penciled in, but landed right were expected. Seems pretty solid to me. Thoughts anyone?

1617831335030.png

1617838644074.png

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...LCS operator called me today to ask if I'd be interested in a swap for platinum bars...up to 19oz, which he's taking on tomorrow. This would have to be silver btw, so I told him I'd go ahead and lock in a rate of 29.25 Ag vs 1280 Pt or 43.76 ounces per. Now I specified that I'd only go for this with generic rounds...and he didn't seem the least bit put out. Doubltess he's falling all over himself just to get some silver in the place.

The current spot to spot paper exchange rate is 49.84, which is just coming off the best exchange rates in the past 30+ years. However spot is rather misleading due to the large premium differences. I have premiums pegged at 8.61% over(1338) for Pt and 21.87% over(30.71) for Ag...so 43.47 from my own numbers. Those numbers were unavailable this morning when the deal was penciled in, but landed right were expected. Seems pretty solid to me. Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 206968
View attachment 206974

Platinum is a lot easier to carry around in your pockets... Just saying... when "you gotta head out quickly"... Too bad they're bars & not rounds or coins though... they fit nicely in a coin purse for the airline metal detector... (see my avatar...)

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
solarion:
I sold enough silver (40% halves and 10oz generic bars) to finance the purchase of 3 Pt Britannia 1oz coins back in February when the PSR was ~43. I should have swapped more than that considering the PSR was near an all-time low at the time.

What type of bars would you be getting? If they are in excellent condition, in assay cards, and from well-known brands like PAMP, Valcambi, or vintage Engelhard I'd make the trade. Seems like a very fair deal and in your favor at 43.76 if you are getting Pt that you'll be happy with.

Stack management is a very underrated and very important IMHO. Anytime one can move silver mass and weight for a more compact storage of wealth in Au or Pt that's in one's favor playing the ratio/premiums should be taken advantage of IMHO.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
#1 AG will be much easier for him to market and sell than PT so moving PT quick for him is a great deal

#2 for you its most likely a diversity move ....and a play on which metal in your mind has a bigger upside potential

#3 PT under 1k a oz was a steal ......at 1.3k its still undervalued in my opinion and will be driven by the automotive catalyst market going forward

in my opinion you did great if you wanted a position in PT ......i would have done the deal

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
What type of bars would you be getting?
Valcambi with assay cards. Sight unseen, but this dealer has always been square and it's only a couple miles from home, so I can always walk if not as advertised. Love the platinum brits, I stacked a bunch when SD bullion had them for 90 over spot. Don't love the roos they have now.
Too bad they're bars & not rounds or coins though... they fit nicely in a coin purse for the airline metal detector... (see my avatar...)
Yeah, would definitely have preferred more coins. I've gotten some lovely koalas(like my avatar) and some Isle of man platinum coins from this same dealer. When I called I was hoping it was more of the same. Alas, not this time, but it is a lot of bars.
in my opinion you did great if you wanted a position in PT ......i would have done the deal
Yeah, it's a good deal. It's something of a diversity play, though I've stacked a decent amount of Pt coins already. Frankly if it was for coins and not rounds I probably pass, but the rounds I can live without. Frankly I've stacked a lot of Ag coins the past few months anyway. This would put me at 6.65% Au, 62.67% Ag, and 30.69% Pt in funny munny terms. Definitely underweight gold...but it's not my favorite play...and I may stack more down the road. Certainly I've a weakness for the gold libertads.

Pretty sure I go through with it, thanks everyone for the input.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
solarion:
I sold enough silver (40% halves and 10oz generic bars) to finance the purchase of 3 Pt Britannia 1oz coins back in February when the PSR was ~43. I should have swapped more than that considering the PSR was near an all-time low at the time.

What type of bars would you be getting? If they are in excellent condition, in assay cards, and from well-known brands like PAMP, Valcambi, or vintage Engelhard I'd make the trade. Seems like a very fair deal and in your favor at 43.76 if you are getting Pt that you'll be happy with.

Stack management is a very underrated and very important IMHO. Anytime one can move silver mass and weight for a more compact storage of wealth in Au or Pt that's in one's favor playing the ratio/premiums should be taken advantage of IMHO.

I'll add to that - imvho, "fractionals" (i.e. 1/10 ounce US & Canadian gold coins, French "roosters", UK "sovereigns", 1/10 Platinum "Nobles" store wealth in "small packages"... and don't look "humongous" in a "coin purse" (airplane scanner)... (but attract attention if they're "wrapped" or in "protections")...
And the day that you need x amount of cash, you don't have to try to find a buyer for a full ounce - especially if it ever comes to PMs reaching their "real value" vs "currencies"... where a "small" gold or platinum coin would be "under the radar" and not a HUGE amount of "cash".

Yes, the premiums are higher, and you probably won't get them back in a "quick sale"... but "coins" are much more "recognizable" and "verifiable" than "bars"...

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely would've prefered coins, but it wasn't to be this time. The transaction went off without a hitch. Dude is very easy to deal with and we've had a number of mutually beneficial exchanges. He already had people coming in looking for 1oz chunks of silver, which he had almost none of, even before the transaction was complete. It was sure a lot easier walking out than in. ;)

831oz of generic rounds turned into this...

1617915562493.png

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Definitely would've prefered coins, but it wasn't to be this time. The transaction went off without a hitch. Dude is very easy to deal with and we've had a number of mutually beneficial exchanges. He already had people coming in looking for 1oz chunks of silver, which he had almost none of, even before the transaction was complete. It was sure a lot easier walking out than in. ;)

831oz of generic rounds turned into this...

View attachment 207034
if that is too many for you let me know .....im always up for a good swap

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll keep that you in mind taz. lol

My cost basis works out to 1043 / oz. ...though to be fair, I did have to spring for scuba gear to get all that Ag off the lake bottom where I'd been storing it for the past several years.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
bumping this thread... I'm wondering how everyone is feeling about platinum today. I wanted to buy some back in the day but my LCD hated it and did everything possible to discourage me from buying it. He said it was hard to sell and a waste of time. I love gold and silver but I do think it is the most beautiful metal of all.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
bumping this thread... I'm wondering how everyone is feeling about platinum today. I wanted to buy some back in the day but my LCD hated it and did everything possible to discourage me from buying it. He said it was hard to sell and a waste of time. I love gold and silver but I do think it is the most beautiful metal of all.

PT and AG would be on my buy list if i were buying ...... i am in a holding pattern and well stocked so no need to buy....... PT and PL tend to be harder to sell and the premiums are higher to buy ...... in the past 10 yrs or so many times on here i have talked about my buy point on PT was 1k or below that has not changed

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

PT and AG would be on my buy list if i were buying ...... i am in a holding pattern and well stocked so no need to buy....... PT and PL tend to be harder to sell and the premiums are higher to buy ...... in the past 10 yrs or so many times on here i have talked about my buy point on PT was 1k or below that has not changed
I'll second what ttazz is saying here and add my .02...

My numero uno goto metal is gold. That's the king in my book, next is silver because it seems to still be way under valued in today's paper manipulation markets. Those two metals have always been considered 'money'. When it comes to platinum I don't have the same feeling. Platinum is an industrial metal as well as used in jewelry. I'm not aware that its ever been used as money, therefore may not be as useful in EVERY situation as gold and silver would be. While I have considered getting some PT in the past, I've decided in today's quagmire of uncertainty to devote all dry power to the 2 metals I know have always been considered as wealth and 'money'

Last edited:

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
The paper price of platinum has fallen faster than the official monetary metals in the past month...ya know since price inflation has become really obvious...which inexplicably made the dollar "stronger". ...welcome to bizarro world. Gold is down 6.18%, silver is down 5.95%, and platinum is down 7.52% in the past 30 days. Despite all this, platinum is the only one of the three that remains positive for the year.

To me, nothing has changed, except the fake paper price has gone lower on all three of these assets and platinum has been on the greatest discount in the past month. At this particular moment, I'd probably favor stacking platinum over silver due to this and the tremendous premiums associated with physical silver, but both are far better buys, imo, than is gold...which is very weak technically.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Platinum —
The biggest mistake I made in buying PMs.
In the middle of 2015, when the price platinum dropped to the level of gold I traded ten oz of Au for ten oz of Pt.
Diversification doesn't always work out so good.
<heh>
BF

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
Platinum is definitely a buy. Especially now that everyone seems to dislike it. Pt will be back on top again and you’ll be kicking yourself for not buying any. Although I would never trade 1 pm for another. I just use fiat.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Platinum is 10X rarer than gold and was always the most desirable PM until recent years. It typically was 2x th price of gold. Today, for some odd reason, it's 1/2 the price of gold. Like you I never really liked platinum but about a year ago, I changed my mind. It was pretty easy to find and you could get eagles for a $50 premium which I thought was high but I pulled the trigger anyway. Now, if you can find it the premiums are $200! When manufacturing kicks into full swing again it will go up. Maybe :)
Too rare and one of the reasons it is not considered a monetary metal. Make sure you have an industrial company for an exit strategy .
Average Joe will find it hard to tell the difference between Silver, Platinum, and the other "white" metals.
Your exit strategy will be far more important than the accumulation process and cost.

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Platinum to be the best metal for fine jewelry. Gold can not compare especially white gold as its too soft, yellows and scratches easily. I have a platinum ring from my grandmother made in the 1920s and it has taken a lot of abuse and still looks new. The reason people are not buying platinum jewelry is because the prices have not dropped . It is still way more expensive then a gold ring. I am wondering why the lower prices are not being reflected in jewelry.

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Too rare and one of the reasons it is not considered a monetary metal. Make sure you have an industrial company for an exit strategy .
Average Joe will find it hard to tell the difference between Silver, Platinum, and the other "white" metals.
Your exit strategy will be far more important than the accumulation process and cost.
I think this is what my LCD was saying, It might be hard to exit it.

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Platinum is definitely a buy. Especially now that everyone seems to dislike it. Pt will be back on top again and you’ll be kicking yourself for not buying any. Although I would never trade 1 pm for another. I just use fiat.
:) Im looking for an excuse to buy some cuz its so darn pretty.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I am wondering why the lower prices are not being reflected in jewelry.
A long time ago, I read a suggestion for getting a deal on a diamond ring. First, learn something about diamonds. Go to a pawn shop and get the diamond you want at the price you want.

Then, go to a jeweler and look through their catalogs of wax casting rings. Order the wax casting, and pay the jeweler to make your ring and set your stone.

I don't see why there won't be wax castings for non-rock rings. If you supply the metal and pay the jeweler for the casting and the labor of melting and pouring, you might get a decent deal.

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
A long time ago, I read a suggestion for getting a deal on a diamond ring. First, learn something about diamonds. Go to a pawn shop and get the diamond you want at the price you want.

Then, go to a jeweler and look through their catalogs of wax casting rings. Order the wax casting, and pay the jeweler to make your ring and set your stone.

I don't see why there won't be wax castings for non-rock rings. If you supply the metal and pay the jeweler for the casting and the labor of melting and pouring, you might get a decent deal.
That's is interesting, i have never heard of wax castings. My Daughter got engaged a few weeks ago. They decided on palatium instead of gold or platinum. Palatium can be hard to size and most jewelers don't want to deal with it.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Do jewelers even make things anymore? All the ones ive solicited just order pieces and do sizing.......

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
:) Im looking for an excuse to buy some cuz its so darn pretty.
Agree...platinum is gorgeous. There is, however, a better reason to buy here. ...ratios. Platinum is historically cheap relative to everything else.

1624724181774.png

Compared to its historical relationship to palladium...platinum is a steal...or palladium is hideously overpriced in relation...depending on how one chooses to look at it. Either way palladium at 2.4x platinum is an anomaly.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
they do on Etsy.
Yep, I just picked up a couple of wonderful, hand made black opal silver necklaces for Mrs Shoootist from a jewelry maker on Etsy. The guy was fabulous. He worked with me for two days straight, answering every question I had before he customized matching the stones and chains according to my preference from pictures he sent. That experience was thee closest thing to brick and mortar service I've ever had online.

Below are the pics of the final product, they look even nicer than the pictures and the Mrs loves them:

icm_fullxfull.338511556_myx1kzhquqs0so44wk48.jpg
icm_fullxfull.342760571_f3n3c1d6ls00o0www8c4.jpg

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Yep, I just picked up a couple of wonderful, hand made black opal silver necklaces for Mrs Shoootist from a jewelry maker on Etsy. The guy was fabulous. He worked with me for two days straight, answering every question I had before he customized matching the stones and chains according to my preference from pictures he sent. That experience was thee closest thing to brick and mortar service I've ever had online.

Below are the pics of the final product, they look even nicer than the pictures and the Mrs loves them:

View attachment 215901View attachment 215902
Oh pretty!!!! He did lovely job and it's nice to support little business. I hope Mrs. Shooti enjoys them :)

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
When choosing to invest in a precious metal I think in only one way....how easy/difficult will it be to sell it when and if the time comes to do so? How willing will people be to buy my metal? I'm thinking gold and silver are easy as they're both recognizable as money whereas platinum isn't really viewed by most people in that same context

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Oh pretty!!!! He did lovely job and it's nice to support little business. I hope Mrs. Shooti enjoys them :)
The guy was amazing to deal with!!!

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
My favorite, still, after many years... "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" (Narnia tales...) But the 1/10th oz is more discreet in a coin purse for traveling by air...

Platinum Noble.jpg

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
When choosing to invest in a precious metal I think in only one way....how easy/difficult will it be to sell it when and if the time comes to do so? How willing will people be to buy my metal? I'm thinking gold and silver are easy as they're both recognizable as money whereas platinum isn't really viewed by most people in that same context

Dat's why I like "recognizable coins"...

Platinum Noble.jpg

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
That's is interesting, i have never heard of wax castings. My Daughter got engaged a few weeks ago. They decided on palatium instead of gold or platinum. Palatium can be hard to size and most jewelers don't want to deal with it.
I offer they view the Periodic Table of Atoms. There is no "Palatium" PM. Sounds like a marketing tool.
Many Class ring makers offer "shinies" - alloys of little value.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Do jewelers even make things anymore? All the ones ive solicited just order pieces and do sizing.......
Yep Some, Check around for a Mom & Pop Jeweler. If they don't do it personally they have a connection that does.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
When choosing to invest in a precious metal I think in only one way....how easy/difficult will it be to sell it when and if the time comes to do so? ....
Agree, Just like being in the stock market , have an exit strategy from the stock before you ever buy the first share.
I will not buy any thing other than Gold or Silver as the Average Joe will have little to no knowledge of those two let alone any of the more exotics.
And as you are finding out the pros - LCS, Jewelers, Pawn shops will either rip you off or advise you not to buy platinum, rhodium, palladium,... . Unless you already have a buyer to exit to.

Last edited:

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Unh, casting Pt might be beyond most jewelers ability — it melts at 3214.8°F, while gold melts at 1947.52°F

FYI.
BF
Well, If you plan on going to Japan or S.E. Asia where Pt is more popular in the citizenry you may find jewelers that work the metal.