• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Platinum?

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I'm typing Avalon's name in here so she gets a Heads Up on this information. I know she is interested.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I think I have a Platinum Credit Card.

mooooooo!

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
I started stacking platinum in 2018 and I intend to buy at least one ounce a year as long as it remains priced so low relative to gold. Premiums are high but they are just as high if not higher for silver, especially US Mint products. Gold premiums are high too but not as high as platinum. Inflation is affecting how much I can save a month and now I becoming more attracted to platinum. I my dollar cost average starts to top 1k I might consider other metals but that entirely depends upon the premiums....

Great strategy.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have a few 1/10's entombed in plastic.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yesterday looked like a great buying opportunity.
Agree, a good buying opportunity occurs anytime the CRIMEX Pt spot number is below $1100 IMHO. Ordered a 1oz random design/date coin from SDB last night...I'll report back what I receive. See my post #120 for best premiums on popular Pt products if you are a potential buyer. Good luck out there folks.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
1oz random design/date coin from SDB arrived today. A 2021 Britannia...it's beautiful to the naked eye, but has some pretty minor abrasions on the high points on both sides of the coin under magnification. I'm happy with it and would order the random design/date coin from SDB again hoping that this is representative of the coins you might receive. Good luck out there and YMMV!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
as PT slips into what i consider "buy" territory IE sub 1k ......i thought i would post a link to the latest JM quarterly PGM metals report from May for those intrested in PGMs

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
as PT slips into what i consider "buy" territory IE sub 1k ......i thought i would post a link to the latest JM quarterly PGM metals report from May for those intrested in PGMs

the are premiums still so high :( Lower prices on platinum have not been reflected in the jewelry market. I wonder why?

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I will be thinking of stacking more platinum. I'm going to be patient as palladium is still searching for a bottom. If neither find a one, there could be more discounts ahead. This IMO is really bad economic data, they are both industrial metals and copper down big too.

Platinum eagles are 1097 FRN's on Golden Eagle Coin as I write this, but can't pull the trigger just yet. I got some expenses coming up I need the cash for otherwise I would be all over it.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
There are gangs of gypsies from Romania hitting French towns / parking lots at night and cutting off & stealing catalytic converters from parked cars...

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
There are gangs of gypsies from Romania hitting French towns / parking lots at night and cutting off & stealing catalytic converters from parked cars...
I don't mean to be rude and I realize all this is coming to the USA but why does anyone live in France? Nazis and lawlessness aside isn't there insane taxation?

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
the are premiums still so high :( Lower prices on platinum have not been reflected in the jewelry market. I wonder why?
I suspect jewelry pricing has so much of a markup that pricing is driven by the market not metal content...........as far as metal, buy side premiums have always been much higher than au or ag I speculate its due to the extremely small retail market volume and exposure

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I am really liking the ratios of Platinum to the other metals, outside of silver. But if I was a fancy Hedge Fund guy I would go Long Platinum and Short Palladium and that way you don't have to worry about getting in too early. Pd looks really weak potentially here.

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
Platinum is VERY hard to work with and requires very high temps. Plus, Platinum is the gold standard for jewelry (LOL). People pay for the best.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude and I realize all this is coming to the USA but why does anyone live in France? Nazis and lawlessness aside isn't there insane taxation?

A good many "residents" & "new immigrants" rely on "government (taxpayer) assistance", and the "quasi-free healthcare".

Many young French "entrepreneurs" EMIGRATE, while France keeps "open arms" to the mass immigration of the UNPRODUCTIVE.

I don't have income in France - so don't get taxed on it. The property taxes are pretty low ($1500/year) on my house. Electric (including heat/AC) is about $1500/year. Water/sewer about $500/year. So $3,500/year to live in my (no mortgage) house (with a "value" of between $150-$200k).

Been signed up as "jobless-looking for work" for several years now / no "unemployment payments", but it keeps us signed up for 80% healthcare & prescription coverage. I pay $150/month for "supplemental healthcare", and end up with almost 100% health coverage. So that's another $1,800/year.

Total $5,300 year "basic living expenses & health coverage" not including food (which is GOOD), or vehicle cost, or vehicle fuel (which is BAD = $8/gallon, or cell phone & internet service - very CHEAP - $18/month per cellphone, unlimited use, free international & web included - & "cable 200-300 stupid channels tv + unlimited internet for the house" is $40/month).

So our $2500/month US retirement perhaps goes "further" than many places in the US... Can even help out the adult kids from time to time. But we live very frugally...

I have to pay VAT on every "service" and "purchase" I make - 15% to 23% I think, included in the "price".

Last edited:

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Pt is the preferred metal for wedding rings in Japan. Plus Pt is harder to work as jewelry than gold.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
So I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on some Platinum... Valcambi bars or American Eagles? Moderate price difference as about $1,050 to $1,115 difference. I'd really like a piece or two I can play around with just to feel the density of the metal.

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Pt is the preferred metal for wedding rings in Japan. Plus Pt is harder to work as jewelry than gold.
but it way superior to gold for fine jewelry. It so pretty!!!

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
So I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on some Platinum... Valcambi bars or American Eagles? Moderate price difference as about $1,050 to $1,115 difference. I'd really like a piece or two I can play around with just to feel the density of the metal.
me too.. are you getting the eagle or the bar?

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Those are really beautiful Eagles. Probably my favorite of all the designs. Maybe a couple of those and a bar. Why not get both? Need to stack some more silver as well.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
but it way superior to gold for fine jewelry. It so pretty!!!
As soft and malleable as pure gold is platinum is the total opposite. Both are beautiful in their pure forms.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
look at my avatar (Isle of Man Platinum Noble) - generally few available & high premium... grrr...
1oz or 1/10oz
just love the boat!

Narnia's "Voyage of the Dawn Treader"...

Dawn Treader.jpg

Last edited:

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
EAGLES. Definitely Eagles.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
well PT didnt stay below 1k for long...........

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
look at my avatar (Isle of Man Platinum Noble) - generally few available & high premium... grrr...
1oz or 1/10oz
just love the boat!

Narnia's "Voyage of the Dawn Treader"...

View attachment 222189

have you seen the holographic gold coins like your avatar........i got one in a deal many years ago .....kinda wish i had a picture of it availible (maybe next time i do inventory)

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
EAGLES. Definitely Eagles.

Well I pulled the trigger and got some Pt Eagles and one of the new Gold Eagles just to see one and have a first year issue. Had a nice small dip back under $1,000 and discounted volume pricing from Apmex.

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger and got some Pt Eagles and one of the new Gold Eagles just to see one and have a first year issue. Had a nice small dip back under $1,000 and discounted volume pricing from Apmex.
LUCKY!!

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Premiums for US coins really aren't that bad IMO at the moment. The gold eagles were 6.9% and Pt was 10% premiums to spot. I mean compared to silver Eagles which are like ~35%.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Premiums for US coins really aren't that bad IMO at the moment. The gold eagles were 6.9% and Pt was 10% premiums to spot. I mean compared to silver Eagles which are like ~35%.
Those premiums reflect DEMAND. As I wrote in another post those that realize what is in store for the usd (small type intended) and the other world currencies are more able to prepare with Silver at the current costs than Platinum or Gold.
Almost everybody can afford to buy an T.oz of silver any day of the week. Gold and Platinum T.oz. not so many.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Those premiums reflect DEMAND. As I wrote in another post those that realize what is in store for the usd (small type intended) and the other world currencies are more able to prepare with Silver at the current costs than Platinum or Gold.
Almost everybody can afford to buy an T.oz of silver any day of the week. Gold and Platinum T.oz. not so many.
... why I prefer "fractionals", even with the higher "premium"...
Thinking of the future, when one ounce might be the price of a house...
In Weimar Germany (hyper-inflation), you could buy AN ENTIRE BLOCK in Berlin for 1 ounce of gold...

(and "fractionals" don't "stand out" in the x-rays of your luggage at airports, especially when mixed with other coins in your "change purse")...

For me "fractionals" include gold "Sovereigns" and "Napoleons"... Often "low premiums". And easy to "identify" and "value".

I'm pretty much done with "bars" and "big coins"...

Last edited:

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
SD Bullion has decent prices on platinum coins. Look under world coins and choose random design.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Best price on Pt Eagle I see is Liberty Coin fleabay store.

Liberty Coin has the lowest price to begin with, then with the additional 2% cash back on cc, works out to ~$97 over kitco ask spot.

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Why are the premiums so high!!

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Why are the premiums so high!!

Demand is strong, supply is low, or both. It doesn't seem to me that making/premiums of $20-$50 / coin are too out of line. But I guess I just didn't buy enough before to get used to paying spot.

Stop Making Cents

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
I'm loading up on Platinum if it gets under $900. I'm tempted to start buying now, but I feel like the economy is ready to crash and PMs will get pulled down with the economy at first before a quick snap back up.

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I'm loading up on Platinum if it gets under $900. I'm tempted to start buying now, but I feel like the economy is ready to crash and PMs will get pulled down with the economy at first before a quick snap back up.
thinking that too but will it be available when that happens? I almost pulled the trigger today. Platinum is the one metal I feel need to be bought in coin form.

Stop Making Cents

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
thinking that too but will it be available when that happens? I almost pulled the trigger today. Platinum is the one metal I feel need to be bought in coin form.
That's a good point. Yes, if buying physical I'd buy today. I'm planning to buy PPLT ETF in my retirement accounts. I probably should buy some physical.

Palladium has also caught my attention with it's drop from 3K to 2K. I'm holding out for about 1500 on palladium (PALL ETF).

I also feel like palladium and platinum could wind up equalizing at about 1500