• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Platinum?

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Under $900.00 now...

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely stack these for 17 bux more. IMO.

Funny AF that the so called "debt ceiling" could again be raised $2.5t and it's yet another excuse for paper metals to get whacked. lol

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Chip shortage is definitely taking it's toll and Pt and Pd. We went to trade in our 2017 this weekend and no new cars on the lot as was the same for any Subaru dealers in the area. We ended up with a 2021 Ascent with 14k miles. Any listed on the websites are "in transit". They are waiting for chips. This will continue well into next year and it's showing in the spot price. No need for catalytic converters therefore no need for either of these metals. I think silver gets into the teens again, industrial metals showing obvious weakness in the economy inflation or not. None of these metals are hedges against inflation. Although silver does perform well during hyperinflation, nobody wants that!

Gold is money, everything else is credit....

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
...if so, then why is gold dropping? ...with inflation hitting double digits? ...and how is silver "credit"? I find your post rather confusing.

Copper, steel, lithium, cobalt, etc are up YTD btw. Lithium is up 389% in the past 12 months and has kicked the living shit out of gold as an inflation hedge...as has coffee, coal, nat gas, uranium, etc.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
20211223_224312 (Large).jpg
20211223_224225 (Large).jpg

little bit of platinum eye candy...in honor of post #74 of this thread

Last edited:

Stop Making Cents

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
Chip shortage is definitely taking it's toll and Pt and Pd. We went to trade in our 2017 this weekend and no new cars on the lot as was the same for any Subaru dealers in the area. We ended up with a 2021 Ascent with 14k miles. Any listed on the websites are "in transit". They are waiting for chips. This will continue well into next year and it's showing in the spot price. No need for catalytic converters therefore no need for either of these metals. I think silver gets into the teens again, industrial metals showing obvious weakness in the economy inflation or not. None of these metals are hedges against inflation. Although silver does perform well during hyperinflation, nobody wants that!

Gold is money, everything else is credit....
Subarus are for leftists and lesbos (not the hot kind of lesbos - the other kind).

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Ooh, ouch someone is a little sore about my choice of vehicle. Tell me what do you prefer to drive?

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have a 2003 subaru that's still on the road. Last time I checked I'm not a leftist or a lesbo.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
We have a 2012 Subaru but probably won't buy another one. Wife likes to drive it around but its been so-so on reliability. And she's killed like 4 deer with the poor thing. The all-wheel drive is hard on tires (ie you have to buy a set) and we've had so many flat tires.

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Subarus are for leftists and lesbos (not the hot kind of lesbos - the other kind).

I have to agree. I am now working for a multinational consumer research firm. One of our quick smoke tests on new databases we deploy is to see what auto brand lesbians prefer because the answer has been stable for years: Subaru.

I was like,yeah,you’re pulling my leg when I first started but it is true. The number two and three choice vary from year to year. For a while it was RAM trucks; other years it was Volvos and Minis.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I have to agree. I am now working for a multinational consumer research firm. One of our quick smoke tests on new databases we deploy is to see what auto brand lesbians prefer because the answer has been stable for years: Subaru.

I was like,yeah,you’re pulling my leg when I first started but it is true. The number two and three choice vary from year to year. For a while it was RAM trucks; other years it was Volvos and Minis.

It was also the choice of people with the highest credit scores. Not sure how long that lasted though.

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

What about Chevy trucks?

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
We have a 2012 Subaru but probably won't buy another one. Wife likes to drive it around but its been so-so on reliability. And she's killed like 4 deer with the poor thing. The all-wheel drive is hard on tires (ie you have to buy a set) and we've had so many flat tires.
So the score is Subaru 4, Deer 0. Hope your next car is as sturdy. Did you know there's a procedure to cut subarus's in emergencies?

https://www.firehouse.com/rescue/article/10503660/subaru-ringshaped-reinforcement-frame

Excerpt:
During an extrication seminar I was conducting in the Fishkill, NY, area in 2004, several members of an area fire department approached me with a question and a challenge. They had encountered a Subaru Forester involved in a crash and were unable to cut through the B-pillar with any of their extrication tools. Their cutter and their reciprocating saw were both unable to sever the pillar. The pillar was eight layers thick! One of the layers of steel was a round steel rod that resembled a concrete rebar. That B-pillar had more layers of steel than I had ever seen before in a vehicle.

Last edited:

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
So the score is Subaru 4, Deer 0. Hope your next car is as sturdy. Did you know there's a procedure to cut subarus's in emergencies?

https://www.firehouse.com/rescue/article/10503660/subaru-ringshaped-reinforcement-frame

Excerpt:
During an extrication seminar I was conducting in the Fishkill, NY, area in 2004, several members of an area fire department approached me with a question and a challenge. They had encountered a Subaru Forester involved in a crash and were unable to cut through the B-pillar with any of their extrication tools. Their cutter and their reciprocating saw were both unable to sever the pillar. The pillar was eight layers thick! One of the layers of steel was a round steel rod that resembled a concrete rebar. That B-pillar had more layers of steel than I had ever seen before in a vehicle.

She also got rear-ended by a light duty truck and neary a scratch. I chalked that up to the truck being low and hitting the added hitch on the bottom. I do think that messed with the alignment a little as we've had two bearings go bad on the right rear. Not high speed as she was stopped and the other guy probably hit about 20 mph trying to stop but it definitely did damage to his car. The bad part was I found out our insurance company put her at fault because they insured both cars. Luckily when we switched companies a couple years later (when I realized this) I still had the officer right up but it was hard to read.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I likee plat. Somebody do something to make a real hard dip in price.

thanks.
mooo000oo

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Platinum is beginning to outperform both gold and silver. Here's a year to date comparison.

1645635834653.png

...and right on cue my local LCS got in a bunch of platinum brits. Time to swap some gold and silver.

Gold to Platinum all time(lower means platinum is outperforming).

1645636079032.png

Gold to Platinum past 3 months...

1645636152255.png

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Much more so for palladium than platinum, but the outperformance began before the current crisis du jour was thrust onto the spotlight. Platinum began outperforming gold as far back as 6 months ago...and that really picked up in October of 2021.

Agree though, the tensions in Ukraine have the potential to drive both metals much higher. ...and one of them is even coming off historically low prices.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Swapped 4 ounces of gold(3 roos and a rand bar) + 405 ounces of generic silver rounds for 16 ounces of platinum.

8 brits, 3 maples, 3 eagles, 1 koala, and 1 valcambi bar. Very pleased with the haul, though with the included gold swap, it'll take me a bit of cypherin' to work out my exact silver equivalent exchange ratio, though it seems like I did slightly better than last time(43.737:1).

Back of the napkin maths, puts this swap at 42.8125:1, so very happy with it as the paper ratio is currently 44.73:1. Obviously silver premiums screw that up a bit, but then so do the premiums on the platinum eagles so they offset a bit.

1645655912044.png

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Geez I got a woodie.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing hookerz and blow can't help with I trust.

I asked the LCS guy(a friend) about how much platinum he moves and he said it's completely invisible to all save 3 or 4 guys he calls when he gets in a batch...including yours truly. I see a stealth rally coming on in the other white copper.

ds_mustang

Libertarian, Capitalist, Software guy
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Based on all the messages I see on social media of people having their catalytic converters stolen in my area, there must be a regular supply of recycled platinum.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
Based on all the messages I see on social media of people having their catalytic converters stolen in my area, there must be a regular supply of recycled platinum.
lot more money in selling them back to repair shops for reinstall, after the owners collect insurance $

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Unless they're stealing them from really old passenger vehicles or diesel trucks they're not recycling much platinum, they're recycling mostly palladium. ...which is worth nearly 2.5x as much in funny munny terms.

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
Swapped 4 ounces of gold(3 roos and a rand bar) + 405 ounces of generic silver rounds for 16 ounces of platinum.

8 brits, 3 maples, 3 eagles, 1 koala, and 1 valcambi bar. Very pleased with the haul, though with the included gold swap, it'll take me a bit of cypherin' to work out my exact silver equivalent exchange ratio, though it seems like I did slightly better than last time(43.737:1).

Back of the napkin maths, puts this swap at 42.8125:1, so very happy with it as the paper ratio is currently 44.73:1. Obviously silver premiums screw that up a bit, but then so do the premiums on the platinum eagles so they offset a bit.

View attachment 246030

I think that was a pretty damn smart move. thumbs up!

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I probably would have limited it to just the gold swap for platinum, were the LCS guy unwilling to give me decent swap value on the generic silver rounds. I'm not super anxious to swap silver for anything, but I can deal with a bit less generic Ag, if it gets me some sweet platinum. :)

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I'm debating about trading ASE's for a Platinum Eagle. A ratio of 37:1 is almost unheard of historically. And it was even lower earlier in the week. I don't think I will do it today, but I am monitoring this very closely.

ds_mustang

Libertarian, Capitalist, Software guy
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I'm debating about trading ASE's for a Platinum Eagle. A ratio of 37:1 is almost unheard of historically. And it was even lower earlier in the week. I don't think I will do it today, but I am monitoring this very closely.
I bet the ratio reverses significantly at some point. But you have to be ready to wait a while.

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'm debating about trading ASE's for a Platinum Eagle.
Is there any dealer that will do a fair trade, that is to take a cut only once? Tulving did trades, and I did one with him. But I suspect that most (all?) dealers will want to call it two deals and take their cuts twice. I say NO to that.

plata_oro

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Is there any dealer that will do a fair trade, that is to take a cut only once? Tulving did trades, and I did one with him. But I suspect that most (all?) dealers will want to call it two deals and take their cuts twice. I say NO to that.
The only one I know of is golden eagle coin in laurel MD. Provident used to but not any longer. As of last year Golden eagle did. I would check with them. It may depend on purchase and sales history. But I've been a customer since 2011.

Last edited:

EO 11110

(you) have a message
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

it's another crime epidemic. so are shootings on highways/roads. and running from cops, wrecking into innocents. and carjackings....

blm psyop continues to pay dividends

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
But I suspect that most (all?) dealers will want to call it two deals and take their cuts twice. I say NO to that.

that has been my experience in the past. its gonna cost you a few oz at least.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
And where is Tulving now ? Jus' Axin'

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Suggest you develop a good relationship with a local coin shop. My fave doesn't do "cuts" on swaps, or ratios at all really, they simply(and fairly) convert both sides of the transaction into USD equivalents including premiums and then calculate the swap ratio from there. Obviously the shop has to make some money on these swaps, or they won't be in business long. Never an issue doing it this way. It's a whole lot better when you can interact mano e mano.

savvydon

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Platinum has been taken to the wood shed over the past month or so. Today is no different. The gold to platinum ratio is again over 2. This is an excellent time to think about buying some platinum imo.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
All of the metals were taken down at around 4am EST after being up moderately prior. The only "excuse" I can find thus far is a Reuters warning that the zinc market at the LME may be breaking down...just like the nickel market. Oh and apparently the copper market recently had to be "tamped down", like the silver market at the crimex a year prior.

They're losing control of all their fake commodity markets, so they're bashing the prices to steal cheap metal and to distract potential stackers. They've been running out of all the metals...base and precious since 2020 and the wheels are falling off.